Ricky Stuart on ABC Grandstand after 11am

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart on ABC Grandstand after 11am

Post by greeneyed »

Don't forget ABC Radio Canberra Grandstand with Tim Gavel Saturday after 11am Saturday. You can listen live: http://www.abc.net.au/canberra

You can SMS the program with Raiders comments and questions on 0467 922 666.

Or you can call on 1300 681 666 (at the cost of a local call).

Or email Tim Gavel at gavel.tim@abc.net.au.

Or send Tim a tweet @TimGavel on twitter.

Tim Gavel will speak to Bronwyn Fagan about where to now with Jack Wighton's penalty... and Tim is asking for your input on whether the 10 weeks is fair. Ricky Stuart will also be on the program.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart on ABC Grandstand after 11am

Post by greeneyed »

Bronwyn Fagan (Raiders board member) interview:

Our position remains the same as last week, nothing has happened since our decision. We wanted a proportionate response and not a knee jerk. We took the decision in light of all the information available to us at the moment.

The sanction the NRL has imposed is 10 weeks, it's an interesting precedent, as it is weeks, not games. Another player might now serve time in the off season it seems.

No discussion about an appeal, not that I'm aware of, I don't know if there'll be an appeal. The Chairman is overseas at the moment.

Ricky Stuart interview:

Jack Wighton penalty from the NRL. I had a feeling it was going to happen, it is disrespect to our board, they took a lot of time to come to a decision, and they have a great record in handling poor behaviour. When the club made the decision to terminate the contracts of Monaghan, Carney, Dugan and Ferguson... I don't think they realised the huge impact it had on the development of the club. Some of these players went on to play representative football, in one case just weeks later. The board attempted to protect the club and the game, but it back fired on them.

Will Jack Wighton appeal the NRL decision? Not for me to answer, that's for the board.

The NRL decision... it's a reaction to what social media says, the media as a whole. I don't see the severity of the fine being fair. There's no consistency, no such thing as consistency.

We have had a hiccup here, Jack Wighton is involved in rehabilitation, work in the community. We're all disappointed in the decision of the NRL, we have to protect our own. I was really pleased the Chairman came out and said his contract would not be torn up. We're doing a lot to care for Jack, he understands what he's done is wrong.

It's not been a distraction to our preparations for the Cowboys game. We need to win to keep the season alive. It'll be no excuse, we've prepared well.

Nick Cotric, a great talent, can play wing, centre and fullback.

Bulldogs win. We fought to the death, right to the last play, amazing sign of courage and never give up attitude. I know the boys have it in them, instills some pride in the team.

Not a lot left in the cap. More a question for Don Furner. We've lost three players and I can understand why people think there'll be money left over... but we've had to upgrade contracts and we've signed Ryan Sutton and John Bateman.

We went to the zoo yesterday, had a signing session with a couple of the players, we really work hard on being involved in the community. And that's one reason why we've hit 20,000 members.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

What contract would we possibly have had to upgrade?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Some guys would have rachet clauses for games played, rep etc
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

edwahu wrote: July 14, 2018, 11:30 am What contract would we possibly have had to upgrade?
Nic Cotric would be one I think they would have looked at. In his second season of FG and part of the NSW SOO squad.
Havili would be another.
Last edited by RedRaider on July 14, 2018, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigkarl35
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by bigkarl35 »

Well he has just confirmed the signing of Bateman so why no press releases
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

edwahu wrote: July 14, 2018, 11:30 am What contract would we possibly have had to upgrade?
Papalii
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Hes an honest man is Ricky Stuart, but he may be playing cards close to his chest re the cap... and so he should
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

bigkarl35 wrote: July 14, 2018, 11:43 am Well he has just confirmed the signing of Bateman so why no press releases
I noticed that too.....

So we should get the official statement in about 4 weeks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Perth Based Raiders Fan
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Johno wrote: July 14, 2018, 12:11 pm Hes an honest man is Ricky Stuart, but he may be playing cards close to his chest re the cap... and so he should
You're giving him way too much credit. We are skint.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

It’s as if the club sees Wighton as the victim here.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 14, 2018, 1:41 pm It’s as if the club sees Wighton as the victim here.
Or themselves. It's a bit sad they are still carrying on about how much us choosing to sack players that predominantly walked out on us damaged the club. Time to build a bridge.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 14, 2018, 1:41 pm It’s as if the club sees Wighton as the victim here.
Yeah they really do.

I’m extremely unhappy with their reaction. He committed a thug act plain and simple. Whether or not he’s in rehabilitation and teaching underprivileged children how backflip or not, the people he attacked are the victims. Not Simple **** Jack.

I wonder if he’s smart enough to realise that all that’s keeping him afloat is that Ricky has an enormous man crush on him. Or if he’s actually bought into the victim mentality?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What I don’t understand is that the club says we have a good record in dealing with player misbehaviour... but then we’re told that backfired on the club, so we’re not doing that anymore... and then expect the NRL to say... well it’s OK you didn’t agree the penalty with us and a light penalty is OK.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

It's like they have all been to the Ricky Stuart School of Delusion. They mouth the words that assault is serious, but seem to think that actions in the past around player contracts is some sort of cushion for treatment for Jack. The NRL just gave them a wake up call. It isn't.

The same people who extended Sticky's contract in early 2017 without seeing more of how that season turned out, are the same people falling for Sticky's spiel now. They stuck their collective chins out with the small time ban and the NRL has given them all the message that what was done wasn't good enough. Embarrassing - you bet. While we as a Club regularly demonstrate we will accept mediocrity (Exhibit A: Our Defence), the 2018 NRL have shown they will not accept mediocre penalties for this type of behavior. What happened in the past is past for both the Club and the NRL. This is the new world.