NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Re: Jack Wighton pleads guilty to assault charges

Post by Relax-init »

BJ wrote: July 13, 2018, 10:17 am I put more faith in the North Korean Judicial system to properly investigate, determine and communicate an appropriate punishment than I do the Raiders executive and the NRL hierarchy to properly manage the situation.
just shoot him with an airplane missile?
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Relax-init wrote:
BJ wrote: July 13, 2018, 10:17 am I put more faith in the North Korean Judicial system to properly investigate, determine and communicate an appropriate punishment than I do the Raiders executive and the NRL hierarchy to properly manage the situation.
just shoot him with an airplane missile?
If you want it to explode straight after launch..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Relax-init wrote: July 13, 2018, 10:01 am
PerthRaider86 wrote: July 13, 2018, 9:58 am Sack him
Wish this forum had a troll emoji....
Im no troll

Just not in love with Wighton like some people on this forum. Cotric would make a great fullback. Dont need wighton and his inflated salary
Perth Based Raiders Fan
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

D .. Do you really think they will give Jack the ultimate humiliation? He must wear the Kim Jung Un haircut. Say it ain't so BJ?
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

raiderskater wrote: July 11, 2018, 11:23 am
Relax-init wrote: July 11, 2018, 11:00 am Pearce got like 7 weeks and a $125K fine for faking a dog photo.
I keep seeing people use this argument and it's annoying the **** out of me.

1. It wasn't just the dog photo. In the same video he sexually assaults a woman and urinates on her couch.

2. It was also not his first offence and just another entry in a long line of idiot behaviours for him.

3. Are we forgetting that Pearce was lauded as some kind of tragic redemption hero while Monaghan (clean rap sheet, no priors, etc, etc) was exiled to England because the NRL told the Raiders "he can jump or we'll push him"?

So no, Pearce wasn't suspended six weeks for "faking a dog photo".

I'm interested in Kent's remark, which seems polar opposite to everything else so far, and I wonder why. Kent doesn't generally mince words about idiots.
You can’t go around stating this sort of stuff. The whole damn police force would off seen this video and he was never charged with Sexual Assault -
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

RedRaider wrote:
D .. Do you really think they will give Jack the ultimate humiliation? He must wear the Kim Jung Un haircut. Say it ain't so BJ?
Good point, Actually Todd Carney had worse haircuts so maybe it’s a fair deal.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

scotchberry wrote: July 13, 2018, 2:13 pm
Relax-init wrote: July 11, 2018, 11:00 am Pearce got like 7 weeks and a $125K fine for faking a dog photo.

1. It wasn't just the dog photo. In the same video he sexually assaults a woman and urinates on her couch.

2. It was also not his first offence and just another entry in a long line of idiot behaviours for him.

3. Are we forgetting that Pearce was lauded as some kind of tragic redemption hero while Monaghan (clean rap sheet, no priors, etc, etc) was exiled to England because the NRL told the Raiders "he can jump or we'll push him"?

I'm interested in Kent's remark, which seems polar opposite to everything else so far, and I wonder why. Kent doesn't generally mince words about idiots.
You can’t go around stating this sort of stuff. The whole damn police force would off seen this video and he was never charged with Sexual Assault -
He forcibly kissed a woman without her consent.

Do we want to split hairs here because I'm pretty sure that falls under the definition of sexual assault.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

PerthRaider86 wrote: July 13, 2018, 1:31 pm
Relax-init wrote: July 13, 2018, 10:01 am
PerthRaider86 wrote: July 13, 2018, 9:58 am Sack him
Wish this forum had a troll emoji....
Im no troll

Just not in love with Wighton like some people on this forum. Cotric would make a great fullback. Dont need wighton and his inflated salary
I'm not a troll either and I 100% agree he should be sacked.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

In the case no one was aware, I am firmly in the "sack him" camp.

He is a putz, who it seems can't even chime into an attack on a Sat night against an unprepared defence.

CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Captain Punish wrote:In the case no one was aware, I am firmly in the "sack him" camp.

He is a putz, who it seems can't even chime into an attack on a Sat night against an unprepared defence.

Gosh that’s an awful joke, he seems to chime in fine for both the raiders and the night life.
Goobeeful
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

NRL has suspended Canberra fullback Jack Wighton for 10 weeks and imposed a fine of $30,000

Post by Goobeeful »

Reported now, articles soon
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

CJ42 wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:In the case no one was aware, I am firmly in the "sack him" camp.

Gosh that’s an awful joke, he seems to chime in fine for both the raiders and the night life.
Yeah, that's fair. He really is an awful of joke of a human.

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: NRL has suspended Canberra fullback Jack Wighton for 10 weeks and imposed a fine of $30,000

Post by Woodgers »

Expected.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: NRL has suspended Canberra fullback Jack Wighton for 10 weeks and imposed a fine of $30,000

Post by Schifty »

So if we just stfu for two more days we could have not not looked like clowns by saying we wanted a six week ban...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

"In light of this, it appears Clubs don't really have a role in imposing penalties on their own employees, so perhaps it's time for the NRL and its Integrity Unit to decide these matters, so that there will be a consistent approach for future offences."
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fuming after NRL hands Wighton 10-game ban, $30,000 fine

The NRL has issued a 10-week ban and $30,000 fine to Jack Wighton after he pleaded guilty to assault charges from an incident in Canberra in February.

Canberra had imposed a six-week ban on the fullback but the NRL has issued a heavier sanction a day after NRL CEO Todd Greenberg announced the league would be recommending a stronger sanction.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/13/jar ... propriate/

NRL statement: Jack Wighton

The NRL has suspended Canberra fullback Jack Wighton for 10 weeks and imposed a fine of $30,000 for his involvement in a pre-season incident.

Wighton, who has already been stood down by the Raiders for two weeks, will be ineligible to play until the end of Round 25.

He has pleaded guilty to five counts of assault and one of public urination and will return to the ACT Magistrates Court for sentencing in November.

The Raiders suspended him for six weeks but an NRL spokesman said video footage showed the conduct warranted a stronger penalty.

Wighton will have five days to respond to the proposed penalty.

NRL media

Club Statement: Jack Wighton Penalty

The Canberra Raiders have the following statement to make regarding the NRL’s decision to extend Jack Wighton’s Club imposed suspension.

“After reviewing all of the facts surrounding this incident we firmly stand by our decision and the punishment handed down by the Club,” Raiders Chairman Dr Allan Hawke AC said.

“We’re disappointed to learn the NRL does not agree with this punishment and feel they have to come over the top and add a further four weeks and a monetary fine to the penalty.

“This penalty is excessive, as Jack still has to face further penalties imposed by the ACT Magistrate and Galambany Courts. We are perplexed as to why the NRL felt the need to impose further punishment before this process was concluded and it sets an extraordinary precedent to the way matters are handled by Clubs in the future.”

“In light of this, it appears Clubs don’t really have a role in imposing penalties on their own employees, so perhaps it’s time for the NRL and its Integrity Unit to decide these matters, so that there will be a consistent approach for future offences.”

“We will continue to support Jack in his rehabilitation,” Dr Hawke concluded.

Canberra Raiders media
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

30k seems a bit low considering he is suspended for almost half a season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders knew that the NRL wanted a 10 game ban... not sure about the monetary fine. But, personally, I have no problem with the NRL suspension of 10 weeks. Six weeks seemed light given the reports of the incidents. I'm disappointed with how the club has handled this, really. In addition, I'm not sure the NRL or club should have given a penalty before the sentencing hearing... because it prejudges that process. In any event, waiting would have meant 10 weeks out.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

raiderskater wrote: July 13, 2018, 3:10 pm

Do we want to split hairs here because I'm pretty sure that falls under the definition of sexual assault.
Last edited by scotchberry on July 13, 2018, 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Cant say im surprised about the penalty, they had no option but to do it now, and to be honest im glad its out of the way now in this dead season than him being suspended by the NRL at the start of next season
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The rest of the season sounds reasonable. The fine is a little light on. For the most part Dr Hawke should STFU, but agree that the Integrity Unit should be dishing out the punishments rather than the clubs.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I feel like the club only imposed the penalty it did so it could make that statement.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2018, 3:57 pm The Raiders knew that the NRL wanted a 10 game ban... not sure about the monetary fine. But, personally, I have no problem with the NRL suspension of 10 weeks. Six weeks seemed light given the reports of the incidents. I'm disappointed with how the club has handled this, really.
Completely agree.

If the club knew they NRL expected ten weeks, why not do it? Is the club that deluded to think that our season is still alive anyway? In terms of on-field effect, this will have none, so why not just suspend him for the rest of the season?

That is a very salty statement, I'm not happy with the club here at all. The guy committed what by all reports was, a completely unprovoked, vicious, violent attack. Why are we sticking up for him here? I certainly don't want him sacked because we have plenty of examples of why that would do us more harm than good, but for goodness sake, we don't need to sympathise with him here.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

scotchberry wrote: July 13, 2018, 4:01 pm

The undesputed fact remains that Mitchell Pearce is an innocent man due to the fact he has never been found guilty of this charge and no one has a right to label him otherwise.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The club is acting like petulant children here
10 weeks is STILL light. Take it and move on.

God we’re **** amateur, from top to bottom
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Please tell me we won't be stupid enough to respond and ask for eight weeks as a "compromise"....
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Hawke and the Raiders should shut up. Oh and Wighton should never wear green again
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

edwahu wrote:I feel like the club only imposed the penalty it did so it could make that statement.
Definitely sounds like this is the case.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Whoever released this statement is an absolute muppet. I'm so angry about it I had to post.

See you all in 6 months time.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

While I'm not overjoyed about the way the club is handling this, I can kind of see where we're coming from.

Dugan, Carney, Ferguson: all known lawbreakers/troublemakers with long records. We do the "right thing" and sack them, and boom, have to watch them carving up for other clubs, often against us, with no protections for us, and Dugan played Origin SIX WEEKS after we sacked him.

Poor old Joel Monaghan with a perfectly clean record gets a dumb photo leaked and the NRL tell us he can either go voluntarily or they'll come over the top and sack him. He spends the rest of his career in exile in England.

We've been screwed over by the NRL in terms of this stuff for years. It's probably not the hill I'd choose to die on but I feel like there's a sense here of "why should we bother when only other clubs will benefit and other clubs aren't held to the same standards?"
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The undesputed fact remains that Mitchell Pearce is an innocent man due to the fact he has never been found guilty of this charge and no one has a right to label him otherwise.
What an odd stand to place your hat on. Visible evidence of him assaulting a woman but you'll defend his honour against some "hurtful" words. Interesting priorities you got there.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

"dig up stupid!"
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Not playing the rest of the season is what I thought we'd be looking at.

The clubs really done a 180 in how it approaches these things. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

**** off, it's not only a disputed fact, the fact that he wasn't charged doesn't mean he's innocent at all.

If anything the fact that he was never charged speaks to the eternal problems with getting sexual crimes charged in our justice system and not that he didn't do it

there's video evidence of him forcing himself on her. But apparently we can't call that what it is?
Last edited by raiderskater on July 13, 2018, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.