Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu »

I really like Oldfield, I'd have no dramas with him starting every week. He has an error in his game but he is ok defensively. Most importantly he makes 130+ metres a game with a consistently sub 3 second play the ball (which is one of if not the best in the comp). For the 150k or so he is probably on that's as good as it gets.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I can understand on one hand why BJ might have been criticised for his try celebration. But putting it in context, he was in a battle with them and he finally got one over them. You cant criticise his passion. Atleast he is having a go.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I also dont think he is at odds with anyone else in the team except Austin. And Austin is on the nose with few guys in the team.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

woppadingo wrote: July 12, 2018, 12:04 pm I also dont think he is at odds with anyone else in the team except Austin. And Austin is on the nose with few guys in the team.
I think this showed with Austin try..... No celebration (not even i high five or a smile, it was more like I dont need anyones help) and he just threw the ball away instead of giving it to croker to save more time
Perth Based Raiders Fan
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

PerthRaider86 wrote:
woppadingo wrote: July 12, 2018, 12:04 pm I also dont think he is at odds with anyone else in the team except Austin. And Austin is on the nose with few guys in the team.
I think this showed with Austin try..... No celebration (not even i high five or a smile, it was more like I dont need anyones help) and he just threw the ball away instead of giving it to croker to save more time
I think that was all about time. He wanted to get back for kick off, and I think he threw it to someone didn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: July 12, 2018, 10:47 am I really like Oldfield, I'd have no dramas with him starting every week. He has an error in his game but he is ok defensively. Most importantly he makes 130+ metres a game with a consistently sub 3 second play the ball (which is one of if not the best in the comp). For the 150k or so he is probably on that's as good as it gets.
We'd need 1 wing signing that provides genuine competition. Can't run with Oldfield, Ravalawa for a whole season.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sure, as long as it's minimum wage.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

So if you can't find a 1st grade ready winger for minimum wage you're running your season with 1 backup winger? Ok then.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

zim wrote: July 12, 2018, 1:53 pm So if you can't find a 1st grade ready winger for minimum wage you're running your season with 1 backup winger? Ok then.
What level of signing are you talking about exactly? We don't need a current full time first grade winger, and anyone that isn't currently playing first grade is not going to cost much more than minimum wage.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

zim wrote:
MrPosh wrote: July 11, 2018, 4:02 pm
zim wrote: July 11, 2018, 11:13 am
MrPosh wrote: July 11, 2018, 6:02 am Talk over here is that BJ has been offered to Wigan.

Presumably to avoid you having to pay a fee for John Bateman - although hopefully that doesn't mean Bateman at centre.
That would be madness if that's the only reason.
The reason is my guess, but the rumour surfaced as him being offered to Wigan, as opposed to being shopped around everywhere (as Austin and Lolohea were).

Doesn't mean he's not getting shopped everywhere - the rumour was accompanied by news of a major dressing down by Stuart after the Bulldogs game, because of the Morris incident (not been through all the threads - assume that's not news on here).
The dressing down's been mentioned on TV a few times as well as the usual NRL haunts like reddit. It's not the first time that right edge has copped a spray for poor behaviour.
If he is being moved on I'd think it's more likely to be cap related (moving the cap elsewhere rather than trying to be under the total) rather than his over the top try celebration that only just happened this week.
Well at least our super coach is giving the players a spray instead of this mummy cuddling which appears from the outside to be going on

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Yep I’ll take this. Probably like to see Papilii at 13 still and maybe start Sia at 10 instead.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Valentine Holmes? I think he could add value to our team if we move Jack Wighton to 6 and if Leilua is moved on. I think you could get him a good price if you give him the full back position. I know he hasn’t had the best run there this year, but gee he is talented looking at him last night and young.

Back line could be

1. Holmes
2. Oldfield
3. Cotric
4. Croker
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezar

PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

El_Capitano wrote: July 12, 2018, 1:30 pm
PerthRaider86 wrote:
I think that was all about time. He wanted to get back for kick off, and I think he threw it to someone didn’t he?

Why not throw it to croker who was standing right next to him??? Why not a smile or a high five to the guys coming to celebrate????
Perth Based Raiders Fan
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

LastRaider wrote: July 12, 2018, 2:34 pm Yep I’ll take this. Probably like to see Papilii at 13 still and maybe start Sia at 10 instead.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Valentine Holmes? I think he could add value to our team if we move Jack Wighton to 6 and if Leilua is moved on. I think you could get him a good price if you give him the full back position. I know he hasn’t had the best run there this year, but gee he is talented looking at him last night and young.

Back line could be

1. Holmes
2. Oldfield
3. Cotric
4. Croker
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezar

Holmes is probably 800k at fullback, I'd think BJ would only free up 400 or 500.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Holmes has been in incredible form since Dugan's been out and so have the Sharks (no coincidence).
WorkChoice
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: July 12, 2018, 2:19 pm
zim wrote: July 12, 2018, 1:53 pm So if you can't find a 1st grade ready winger for minimum wage you're running your season with 1 backup winger? Ok then.
What level of signing are you talking about exactly? We don't need a current full time first grade winger, and anyone that isn't currently playing first grade is not going to cost much more than minimum wage.
Another 150k winger, not a min wager (Ravalawa fills that spot). So if your first dice roll gets injured or goes tits up you've got someone who can possibly handle a good 7 week stint and not a kid.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

zim wrote: July 12, 2018, 4:22 pm
Another 150k winger, not a min wager (Ravalawa fills that spot). So if your first dice roll gets injured or goes tits up you've got someone who can possibly handle a good 7 week stint and not a kid.
Isn't that what Abbey is? A fill in for FB and/or Wing?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He's never played wing, but it would be a better option than Ravalawa at this stage. So you probably could get by with 1 average winger, 1 average out of position back up and 2 min wagers, but seems to be tempting fate. A suspension here and an injury there.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

julian87 wrote: July 11, 2018, 7:59 am Swapping one of the most imposing outside backs in the game for a second rower who’s not as good as 4 we already have would be absolute insanity.

Must be true.
Agreed, it would be totally insane to move BJ on for anyone who isn’t in his class.

We don’t have many top echelon players... it’s literally Papallii, Hodgson, Rapana and BJ. With Cotric close by.

Cannot offload any of those players without a replacement who is a top class player.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

yeh raiders wrote: July 12, 2018, 4:40 pm
julian87 wrote: July 11, 2018, 7:59 am Swapping one of the most imposing outside backs in the game for a second rower who’s not as good as 4 we already have would be absolute insanity.

Must be true.
Agreed, it would be totally insane to move BJ on for anyone who isn’t in his class.

We don’t have many top echelon players... it’s literally Papallii, Hodgson, Rapana and BJ. With Cotric close by.

Cannot offload any of those players without a replacement who is a top class player.
And I would imagine with our rumoured cap restraints that we cant sign another top echelon player without releasing one of those you mentioned. We are weak in the halves and front row, and have Cotric who can step into the centres with ease. If we release BJ to free up space to fill one of our weak points, I think its a great move. I have no doubt that if there is truth to these rumours that this would not be a straight swap - we have been in negotiations to get Bateman for ages, so BJs cap space would be irrelevant. BJ would be a sweetener to negate the need for a transfer fee, while giving us some cap space to go after someone like Norman or Klemmer.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

zim wrote: July 12, 2018, 4:22 pm
Yeah, fair enough. Makes sense.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

LP Raider wrote:Holmes has been in incredible form since Dugan's been out and so have the Sharks (no coincidence).
Yeah I agree. I change of scenery would be just what he needs to go to the next level

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sounds like he is a done deal at the Cowboys though. They have cash with JT going and his family is up there.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

edwahu wrote:Sounds like he is a done deal at the Cowboys though. They have cash with JT going and his family is up there.
Damn! It **** you doesn’t it. Clubs who you think there cap would be full like Cowboys, South Sydney, Sharks, Roosters etc just keep pursuing and adding excellent players to their squad and the Raiders are just floundering signing players from Super League and 3rd tier NRL players. So frustrating being a Raiders supporter

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

LastRaider wrote: July 12, 2018, 6:06 pm
edwahu wrote:Sounds like he is a done deal at the Cowboys though. They have cash with JT going and his family is up there.
Damn! It **** you doesn’t it. Clubs who you think there cap would be full like Cowboys, South Sydney, Sharks, Roosters etc just keep pursuing and adding excellent players to their squad and the Raiders are just floundering signing players from Super League and 3rd tier NRL players. So frustrating being a Raiders supporter

Yeah..I was a lot happier when we were winning GFs and cheating the salary cap ourselves...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: July 12, 2018, 10:47 am I really like Oldfield, I'd have no dramas with him starting every week. He has an error in his game but he is ok defensively. Most importantly he makes 130+ metres a game with a consistently sub 3 second play the ball (which is one of if not the best in the comp). For the 150k or so he is probably on that's as good as it gets.
Yep. I like his work. You need a solid budget player in your backline and he's it. Can find the line, decent size and speed. No glaring weaknesses to exploit. Good value. And if it means Cotric or Rapana can move closer to the action I'd be quite happy with Oldfield holding one wing spot.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

I’d take a shot at Lolohea for 5/8th next season.

I could be wrong (and not in the loop) but most his problems in the past stem more from training attitudes than actual football ability. Outside of the hot topic at the moment I think Ricky and the senior players set a pretty high standard off the field and maybe he could crack this kid.

Netherless - from what I have seen Lolohea is a way better option than Williams or Hingano next season imo.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

scotchberry wrote: July 13, 2018, 1:58 pm I’d take a shot at Lolohea for 5/8th next season.

I could be wrong (and not in the loop) but most his problems in the past stem more from training attitudes than actual football ability. Outside of the hot topic at the moment I think Ricky and the senior players set a pretty high standard off the field and maybe he could crack this kid.

Netherless - from what I have seen Lolohea is a way better option than Williams or Hingano next season imo.
I think Jack is a better version of Lolohea, so I'd wait to see how Cotric at fullback plays out. Unless BJ is really getting shopped.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lolohea is playing reserve grade so I can't see how he'd be a better option than Williams.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

greeneyed wrote:Lolohea is playing reserve grade so I can't see how he'd be a better option than Williams.
Williams should be playing reserve grade, at any other club he would be.....

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2018, 4:30 pm Lolohea is playing reserve grade so I can't see how he'd be a better option than Williams.
He's also had heaps of opportunity and every time he gets dropped or moved on. If we're going to aim low we should at least be going after someone that can defend. In any event he's off to the Leeds Rhinos for at least the next year. Maybe he'll come back a better player.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

Teams use to poach our juniors it’s about time we start poaching other clubs juniors starting with some of these Penrith juniors

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Lolohea is playing reserve grade so I can't see how he'd be a better option than Williams.
He’s also signed with Leeds for next year
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 13, 2018, 7:55 pm
He’s also signed with Leeds for next year
[sad trombone]
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

scotchberry wrote: July 13, 2018, 1:58 pm I’d take a shot at Lolohea for 5/8th next season.

I like lil Lolo at 5/8. He was very good for the Tigz last yr. Everytime he picks a new club, they buy another guy in his spot. Not sure he is any better or worse than what we have though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Some of you are nuts! Lolohea is on his way to Super League, can’t find a first grade spot with a team that’s a wooden spoon candidate and you think he’s a first grade half for the Raiders. PLEASE!