NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Re: Jack Wighton pleads guilty to assault charges

Post by Archer »

How do we know these guys didn't have psychic powers and were assaulting Jack with their mind? His only way to retain his sanity may have been to attack their head... You weren't there you just don't know for sure
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

I'm sure I've had disagreements with one of your alts before Lucy, but I've gotta say I'm still giggling at the law and order box set line. :clap:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

we've all had arguments with Lucy's alts. Including Lucy
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL set to battle with Canberra Raiders over Jack Wighton ban

A battle is brewing between the Canberra Raiders and the NRL over the length of Jack Wighton's suspension, with the governing body yet to rubber stamp the proposed six-week ban.

While the NRL met on Monday night to discuss the proposed sanctions for the Canberra fullback's late-night Civic brawl in February, they are yet to give it the green light.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zqjn.html
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

I think this story proves how irrelevant the Raiders are in the media. In particular the print media. Minimal coverage yet plenty of stories of from gossip writers like Wielder about Cam Smith having a spat with his mates however. **** cares ?

If this was about a player in an important position in a well regarded club we would never hear the end of it. How much coverage was there of Fifita being Fifita and abusing a junoir ref? Wighton's jobbed five blokes and it's pretty quiet. I guess it's what the Raiders and the NRL want with this kind of thing but am genuinely surprised at the lack of talk over the clubs decision of 6 weeks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Interesting take SCR - Raiders certainly don't get a run in the media like other clubs do. I've also been disappointed with the local coverage on this one and the Raiders in general. Guys like Tim Gavel and other local media tend to provide very factual reporting on all things Raiders but provide very little analysis or opinion.

You flick through the pages on here and people are questioning the CEO, the coach, the skipper. People have options on every aspect. I can pick up the Telegraph and read opinion on why DCE is a hack or the parra board need replacement. I read the Canberra Times and get nothing but factual reporting with no opinion or questioning of the club in any way.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

This whole thing is why Ricky should never have gone around telling people Jack is his favourite. This reeks of a huge double standard within the club given past punishments...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Why are we picking an unwinnable fight with the NRL over this? The club has such screwy priorities.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

edwahu wrote: July 11, 2018, 8:33 am Why are we picking an unwinnable fight with the NRL over this? The club has such screwy priorities.
With the state our season is in there really is zero logic other than Ricky thinks he is right so push forward at all costs.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

edwahu wrote:Why are we picking an unwinnable fight with the NRL over this? The club has such screwy priorities.
Yep, it’s bizarre
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: July 10, 2018, 10:35 pm You flick through the pages on here and people are questioning the CEO, the coach, the skipper. People have options on every aspect. I can pick up the Telegraph and read opinion on why DCE is a hack or the parra board need replacement. I read the Canberra Times and get nothing but factual reporting with no opinion or questioning of the club in any way.
I've said it for a long time, the local journo's are absolutely gutless.
They are terrified to rock the boat, they'll never criticise the club in any real sense regardless of how the fans feel. They're more interested in the backslaps from the CEO and Coach than they are applying any kind of due pressure on them for poor performance.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Pigman wrote: July 11, 2018, 8:45 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 10, 2018, 10:35 pm You flick through the pages on here and people are questioning the CEO, the coach, the skipper. People have options on every aspect. I can pick up the Telegraph and read opinion on why DCE is a hack or the parra board need replacement. I read the Canberra Times and get nothing but factual reporting with no opinion or questioning of the club in any way.
They are terrified to rock the boat, they'll never criticise the club in any real sense regardless of how the fans feel. They're more interested in the backslaps from the CEO and Coach than they are applying any kind of due pressure on them for poor performance.
It makes no sense to me. If I read a match report I want to know who killed it, who stunk it up and if Ricky's bench use was semi-sensible. That's why I don't read the CT. Why wouldn't they form opinions on things?? The Raiders need to local media as much as the local media need the Raiders
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Paul Kent said on nrl 360 that it's not as bad as everyone thinks and when details cone out people will be a lot more forgiving.. What he means by that is anyone's guess.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders666 wrote: July 11, 2018, 9:39 am Paul Kent said on nrl 360 that it's not as bad as everyone thinks and when details cone out people will be a lot more forgiving.. What he means by that is anyone's guess.
Yeah I'm curious now...
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Billy Walker wrote: July 11, 2018, 9:14 am
It makes no sense to me. If I read a match report I want to know who killed it, who stunk it up and if Ricky's bench use was semi-sensible. That's why I don't read the CT. Why wouldn't they form opinions on things?? The Raiders need to local media as much as the local media need the Raiders
It's a small town. If any of those journo's rocked the boat then they wouldn't get emailed their daily puff piece from Raiders media to cut and paste to the editor and shoot off to Capital Brewing Co to spend their hard earned on pints of Coast Ale. And after years of being a 1st grade coach I also think Sticky is pretty good at having small town journos running scared that he'll cut them off or confront them about anything unfavourable.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Raiders666 wrote: July 11, 2018, 9:39 am Paul Kent said on nrl 360 that it's not as bad as everyone thinks and when details cone out people will be a lot more forgiving.. What he means by that is anyone's guess.
My best guess is that means he's good mates with Sticky and our coach is calling in favours to try hose this down as much as possible at the critical time when NRL is deciding the punishment.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I am sure that part of the reason the NRL is delaying their response is they are looking at the media attention and any public outcry. Given the lack of interest this may be a benefit for Wighton.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Woodgers wrote: July 11, 2018, 9:58 am
It's a small town. If any of those journo's rocked the boat then they wouldn't get emailed their daily puff piece from Raiders media to cut and paste to the editor and shoot off to Capital Brewing Co to spend their hard earned on pints of Coast Ale. And after years of being a 1st grade coach I also think Sticky is pretty good at having small town journos running scared that he'll cut them off or confront them about anything unfavourable.
If they don't get a puff piece from the Raiders they write up the Brumbies for a few weeks.... it is a small town and the Raiders are just as dependent on the local rag generating interest in the club. Very much a two way street.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Maybe he means exactly what he said.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Green eyed Mick wrote: July 11, 2018, 10:15 am
Then silly Jack trying to bury the footage and pictures. He should let us see it was all just a bit of playful roughhousing like Kenty suggests!
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

edwahu wrote: July 11, 2018, 8:33 am Why are we picking an unwinnable fight with the NRL over this? The club has such screwy priorities.
Because Ricky wouldn't trade Jack for anyone and he's like a son to him.

Truly, what a ridiculous line to draw in the sand.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Billy Walker wrote: July 11, 2018, 10:09 am
If they don't get a puff piece from the Raiders they write up the Brumbies for a few weeks.... it is a small town and the Raiders are just as dependent on the local rag generating interest in the club. Very much a two way street.
I could be wrong but I don't think it works that way in Canberra on a practical level. Ricky and the Raiders aren't the type to forgive a story that asks a few questions after a fortnight while you write columns about something else.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I could be wrong but I don't think it works that way in Canberra on a practical level. Ricky and the Raiders aren't the type to forgive a story that asks a few questions after a fortnight while you write columns about something else.
I think you're correct but I just don't get it. Surely there is a balance of power in the relationship. I can understand a political party boycotting a show or a station because there are other avenues available but if the Raiders don't play ball with the local media how do they get the message out about anything they are doing?
Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Post by Relax-init »

Green eyed Mick wrote: July 7, 2018, 8:35 pm
Relax-init wrote: July 7, 2018, 7:21 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote: July 7, 2018, 3:19 pm
Relax-init wrote: July 7, 2018, 2:30 pm Police facts, tendered in court on Friday, said the footage showed Wighton had just left a Civic nightclub, about 2.45am on February 3, when he headbutted and punched a man leaning on a shop window.
About 2.55am, a man approaches and shakes Wighton's hand, only for the NRL star to shove and then punch the victim in the face.
The documents said, about 10 minutes later, Wighton is seen to urinate on the road before attacking three men, headbutting and punching them in the head and face.

He needs to be sacked now.. anyone else would see jail time.
Got any data to back this up?
It’s on the public record? Easy to look at the court documents n read them. It’s actually longer and casts a worse view than my copy pasted from it. Act Courts - google it.
Statistics from the ACT sentencing database reveal that from 1 July 2012 to 30 April 2016, less than 1 in 20 people found guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm received no conviction. Almost 27 per cent of people found guilty immediately went to prison with slightly less than half of them having their sentences partially suspended. Another 22 per cent received fully suspended prison sentences. Almost 43 per cent were placed on Good Behaviour Orders.

I'm not sure almost 27 per cent is 'anyone else'
He's a 'famous'' nrl player. No doubt he will get 100-120 hours of community service and make settlement payments out of court.

The NRL might decide to throw the book at him. Wouldn't be surprised to see a min 10 weeks and a huge fine.
Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Post by Relax-init »

Pearce got like 7 weeks and a $125K fine for faking a dog photo. That Manly guy got 12 weeks for beating his lady and a $75K fine and then was sacked for driving without a licence. Lodge got sacked and a 2 year exile and had extreme conditions to meet to re-sign.

This is worse than all 3 to be honest. Punching up dudes, some of which are members and just wanted a handshake...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

haha spot on.
I have this short film in my head of Tim Gavel walking up to Stuart with a beer for him, and saying "Hey stick! Thanks for the quotes for my piece the other day, you're a really great bloke!!!" and Stuart giving him the "Sure thing Terry, any time" and taking the beer without ever looking at the guy :lol:

It would perfectly encapsulate how i see the Raiders-Media relationship. They're all **** sycophants.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Relax-init wrote: July 11, 2018, 11:00 am Pearce got like 7 weeks and a $125K fine for faking a dog photo.
I keep seeing people use this argument and it's annoying the **** out of me.

1. It wasn't just the dog photo. In the same video he sexually assaults a woman and urinates on her couch.

2. It was also not his first offence and just another entry in a long line of idiot behaviours for him.

3. Are we forgetting that Pearce was lauded as some kind of tragic redemption hero while Monaghan (clean rap sheet, no priors, etc, etc) was exiled to England because the NRL told the Raiders "he can jump or we'll push him"?

So no, Pearce wasn't suspended six weeks for "faking a dog photo".

I'm interested in Kent's remark, which seems polar opposite to everything else so far, and I wonder why. Kent doesn't generally mince words about idiots.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Pigman wrote: July 11, 2018, 11:07 am
haha spot on.
I have this short film in my head of Tim Gavel walking up to Stuart with a beer for him, and saying "Hey stick! Thanks for the quotes for my piece the other day, you're a really great bloke!!!" and Stuart giving him the "Sure thing Terry, any time" and taking the beer without ever looking at the guy :lol:

It would perfectly encapsulate how i see the Raiders-Media relationship. They're all **** sycophants.
You just need to see that press conference when Ricky slammed a journalist who had written a negative article on him some time ago to realise how petty he is. Unfortunately Don also seems spineless, which means Stick's way rubs off.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 11, 2018, 8:30 am This whole thing is why Ricky should never have gone around telling people Jack is his favourite. This reeks of a huge double standard within the club given past punishments...
Thats because it is and Stuart's man crush on Jack is pathetic, i worry about the long term future of the club with these muppets in charge
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: July 9, 2018, 7:17 pm I don't think he can make a statement Red Raider, as he is still to be sentenced. I can't see how Jack can play again until he's sentenced to be honest. It's tough for Jack, the club and the fans, but if you plead guilty, you can't take the field... and determining an NRL penalty now would prejudge the final outcome. I expect the NRL will say he's stood down until we hear the final sentence, and I wouldn't argue with it. I'm disappointed with the club, really, putting this stance out publicly at this point.
GE, I don't know about the legal system in the ACT, but from one human being to another, when you know you have done wrong by someone and in this case caused injury, it could not hurt for Jack, now his plea is Guilty, to publicly express remorse for his actions. What is there to be lost by doing it?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: July 11, 2018, 11:35 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 9, 2018, 7:17 pm I don't think he can make a statement Red Raider, as he is still to be sentenced. I can't see how Jack can play again until he's sentenced to be honest. It's tough for Jack, the club and the fans, but if you plead guilty, you can't take the field... and determining an NRL penalty now would prejudge the final outcome. I expect the NRL will say he's stood down until we hear the final sentence, and I wouldn't argue with it. I'm disappointed with the club, really, putting this stance out publicly at this point.
GE, I don't know about the legal system in the ACT, but from one human being to another, when you know you have done wrong by someone and in this case caused injury, it could not hurt for Jack, now his plea is Guilty, to publicly express remorse for his actions. What is there to be lost by doing it?
I have a feeling every card Jack plays is under carefully considered advice with a view to minimising the time he can't play football. This includes the initial not guilty plea. Not sure there is focus beyond that and it doesn't sit comfortably with me at all.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Just as a general reminder note: the ACT justice system is pretty ****ed up, like to the point one judge gave a rapist WEEKEND DETENTION when he knew the rapist lived only a street away from the victim, so if Jack doesn't get a heavy punishment from the courts, it's likely not because of who he is.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Relax-init wrote:Pearce got like 7 weeks and a $125K fine for faking a dog photo. That Manly guy got 12 weeks for beating his lady and a $75K fine and then was sacked for driving without a licence. Lodge got sacked and a 2 year exile and had extreme conditions to meet to re-sign.

This is worse than all 3 to be honest. Punching up dudes, some of which are members and just wanted a handshake...
You are claiming that what Jack did is worse than Lodge?????

Are you fully aware of what Lodge did?

Jack caused some cuts and bruising to his victims, suggesting that he didn’t fully go to town with his punches and headbutt. I’ve seen blind drunk guys who can fight, be very damaging and I would bet that Jack Wighton is even more skilled in boxing and fighting. So I don’t think he completely tried to harm his unfortunate victims.

Jack 1000% deserves court and justice system punishment, but worse than Lodge, I don’t think you have much credibility with that claim.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Billy Walker wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote: July 11, 2018, 10:15 am
Then silly Jack trying to bury the footage and pictures. He should let us see it was all just a bit of playful roughhousing like Kenty suggests!
From what I heard only some stuff was caught on camera and not much of the time leading up to what happened was.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If the footage in any way at all would make Jack's actions forgivable then why try to suppress it?
Shoving it in your face since 2017