Blake Austin signs with Warrington Wolves

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Re: Blake Austin set to leave Raiders

Post by Raider Azz »

AUSTEZER wrote:we were going nowhere Last night till Blake got on and won us the game Another reason the Club should keep him he proved he's a Match winner
He wasn't on long enough to be found out in defense. His defense just isn't up to NRL standards. Plus he knocked back two of our offers anyway. He is gone. Time to move on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

AUSTEZER wrote:we were going nowhere Last night till Blake got on and won us the game Another reason the Club should keep him he proved he's a Match winner
He's also a proven match loser.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

AUSTEZER wrote: July 8, 2018, 3:35 pm we were going nowhere Last night till Blake got on and won us the game Another reason the Club should keep him he proved he's a Match winner
Over the last two seasons he's proven himself more likely to be a match loser than a match winner.

I won't be unhappy to see Blake leave.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I can't wait to see the scrapbook
Um Jammer Lammy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: David Milne

Post by Um Jammer Lammy »

If anything after Blake's efforts last night I'm more frustrated with him then ever. He rarely runs the ball with that sort of conviction, how many games have we watched him kick, pass, trip over and barely run the ball? Look what happens when he is intent upon cutting a team to shreds...
Golden Boogs 2006: McLinden Award
Golden Boogs 2007: Personality of the Year
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Um Jammer Lammy wrote: July 8, 2018, 5:11 pm If anything after Blake's efforts last night I'm more frustrated with him then ever. He rarely runs the ball with that sort of conviction, how many games have we watched him kick, pass, trip over and barely run the ball? Look what happens when he is intent upon cutting a team to shreds...
It was the Bulldogs, I wouldn't read too much into his performance.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Love4Noa wrote: July 8, 2018, 2:46 pm Blake Austin should be re-signed to the club for one reason only.

He is a better player and a bigger threat than Aidan Sezer.

This club is going nowhere why that horrible excuse for a first grader plays for us.

Austin isn't amazing - but he's better than the other guy.

Stupidity at it's highest level. Furner and co need to go.
Agree with most of that but as many have said, his decision making in defence has become far too much of a liability.

If it were a couple of one-off performances you could forgive him, but that coupled with his regression in attack makes the situation untenable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: July 8, 2018, 4:07 pm
He's also a proven match loser.
With the ratio not in Blake’s favour.

Being a match winner once in the last 18 months doesn’t justify a contract.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

You cant make a decision on his performance last night, but hey, it was very good.

Its based over a season or more, he cant defend or be a part of a defensive structure, and has cost us way too many tries
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Was on ABC radio today and there will be an announcement next week.

Deal has been done and from what was said the Raiders did make an offer and it sounded like he was leaving.
WorkChoice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders five-eighth Blake Austin to announce future

Blake Austin expects to have an announcement on his future this week.

"It's a bit bittersweet because one good game, it's like one bad game, it shouldn't change people's opinions of you and the way they talk about you," Austin said. "It was only seven days ago I was barely fit for the NRL for a lot of people and one 15-minute performance can have a lot nicer things said about you. I think there's a lesson to be learnt there for sure.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zq7d.html

Audio: The Australian's Brent Read has revealed Blake Austin's rugby league future will be decided by Tuesday and will head to Warrington: https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nrl/ne ... ion=sydney
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Yeah the lesson would be don't go online looking for comments when you concede 3/4 tries and lose us a game that we needed to win. lol
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Looking forward to seeing Austin going. After 17 rounds he has probably played 40 minutes of good football.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Austin's lost us more games in the last 2 seasons than any other player. One 15 minute blitzkrieg against the Bulldogs doesnt change much

What it does do is make me sad. As Blake Austin showed last night and has showed in a number of games, he's a hell of a player at his peak. That 15 minutes is why i was so excited to get him a few years ago, i thought that was going to be the player he was... but he's just never really found the consistency and if he's not going to be consistently scoring and laying on tries, he cant be leaking them at the rate he has in the last 18 months
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Christ he comes across as full of himself doesn't he
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Pigman wrote: July 8, 2018, 6:57 pm Austin's lost us more games in the last 2 seasons than any other player. One 15 minute blitzkrieg against the Bulldogs doesnt change much

What it does do is make me sad. As Blake Austin showed last night and has showed in a number of games, he's a hell of a player at his peak. That 15 minutes is why i was so excited to get him a few years ago, i thought that was going to be the player he was... but he's just never really found the consistency and if he's not going to be consistently scoring and laying on tries, he cant be leaking them at the rate he has in the last 18 months
My feelings exactly. I had such high hopes.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Im putting my money on Melbourne but will wait and see

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The decline in his form has been severe.

Dally M 5/8 of the year 2015, had a great 2016 where he was pivotal in the run through the finals to where we are today...

What happened to you Break ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-PJ- wrote: July 8, 2018, 7:52 pm The decline in his form has been severe.

Dally M 5/8 of the year 2015, had a great 2016 where he was pivotal in the run through the finals to where we are today...

Pretty sure he didn't do much in 2016 at all. In fact, I think he didn't get a single Dally M point that year.

It's quite incredible to win Dally M 5/8th of the year when your team finishes 10th, then not register a single Dally M point the following year when your team finishes 2nd.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Finchy wrote: July 8, 2018, 8:06 pm
-PJ- wrote: July 8, 2018, 7:52 pm The decline in his form has been severe.

Pretty sure he didn't do much in 2016 at all. In fact, I think he didn't get a single Dally M point that year.

It's quite incredible to win Dally M 5/8th of the year when your team finishes 10th, then not register a single Dally M point the following year when your team finishes 2nd.
Well we finished 2nd which made me happy..so Break was solid..that's better..solid.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Fact is he failed to take responsibility for his mistakes against the Broncos. Trying to spread the blame among the whole right edge, basically saying "I couldn't tackle so the other guys should've been backing me up, so its not my fault".
He is dropped to the bench and given 15 minutes at the end of the game. He has something to prove so you know he's coming out to show it. He is playing against a team close to the bottom of the ladder which at 65 minutes is a bit gassed, as you would expect.
He comes full of running to prove himself and 2 +2 = a dynamic performance.
Well done to him for changing the pace of the game when he came on, and being the difference which basically got us the win. But yeh, 2 years of insipid performances it does not make up for.
Also, Once other teams figured out his one trick of dummy step and run, his effectiveness was nullified in attack. Yeh, he'll kill it in SL - for a season.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

woppadingo wrote: July 8, 2018, 9:26 pm Fact is he failed to take responsibility for his mistakes against the Broncos. Trying to spread the blame among the whole right edge, basically saying "I couldn't tackle so the other guys should've been backing me up, so its not my fault".
He is dropped to the bench and given 15 minutes at the end of the game. He has something to prove so you know he's coming out to show it. He is playing against a team close to the bottom of the ladder which at 65 minutes is a bit gassed, as you would expect.
He comes full of running to prove himself and 2 +2 = a dynamic performance.
Well done to him for changing the pace of the game when he came on, and being the difference which basically got us the win. But yeh, 2 years of insipid performances it does not make up for.
Also, Once other teams figured out his one trick of dummy step and run, his effectiveness was nullified in attack. Yeh, he'll kill it in SL - for a season.
This. Agree wun hunnit persen!!
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

As for Austins 2016 performance, best judgement is the GHFCA2016:

2016 Total points
23 - Josh Papalii
22 - Joey Leilua
20 - Josh Hodgson
17 - Jarrod Croker
16 - Jordan Rapana
10 - Jack Wighton
7 - Aidan Sezer
6 - Paul Vaughan
6 - Elliott Whitehead
5 - Joseph Tapine
3 - Kurt Baptiste
3 - Shaun Fensom
2 - Shannon Boyd
2 - Zac Santo
1 - Jeff Lima
1 - Junior Paulo

He didn't manage to pull a single point there either while in 2015 he came second (to Hodgson). He managed to get 9 last year but considering how forced giving point was for most of last year that's not saying much... Basically when the team is doing well overall then Austin rarely is playing a part in it.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Has signed for Warrington, apparently.
Floydd
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Floydd »

I honestly think his heart has not been green since the falling out with a couple of guys in the team. He is going to kill it at another team IMHO.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Santo and Lima Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Love4Noa wrote: July 8, 2018, 2:46 pm Blake Austin should be re-signed to the club for one reason only.

He is a better player and a bigger threat than Aidan Sezer.

This club is going nowhere why that horrible excuse for a first grader plays for us.

Austin isn't amazing - but he's better than the other guy.

Stupidity at it's highest level. Furner and co need to go.
He isn't better than the other guy L4N.

Read this...
Who am I?
I have played 13 games in 2018.
I have scored 4 tries.
I have 7 try assist.
9 line breaks.
9 line break assists.
9 offloads.
35 tackle busts.
Ive run for 810m.
I've made 13 errors.
I have a 77% tackle efficiency rating.
I have missed 31 tackles.
I have 14 try causes (which means every 2nd miss is a try BTW) and finally 16 line break causes.

Now... 26pts were score on his edge vs the Broncos.

There are lots of games missing in the middle, but here is another post I’ve made this yr about our edge defense.

Where tries are scored against us:
Titans
Proctor = left
Elgey = right
Sami = right
Copley = right
Hurrell = middle

Knights
Guerra = left
Fitz = right
Moga = right
Watson = right
Mata'utai = left

Warriors
Hiku = right
Harris = left
Luke = middle

7 on our right edge. (Williams)
4 on our left edge. (Austin)

Of the right edge tries:
1 was Sami scoring in the corner for the Titans.

TBF the Knights went right because of a reshuffled centre and backrower though, as BJ got injured early.

2 of the right side tries were kicks too - Watto and Elgey.

Of the left edge tries:
3 of the 4 tries are backrowers being isolated on Austin who makes a bad read. Mata'utai is the 4th and he got a gimme by Austin racing up on Pearce.

Where did Warriors have their biggest yardage gains prior to both field goals?!? U guessed it, through Austins channel.

Now… I don’t want to sound like Im not showing both sides of the story, so here are Sezer's numbers this yr:
I have played 16 games in 2018.
I spent 4 of those at hooker.
I have scored 1 tries.
I have 9 try assist.
1 line breaks.
6 line break assists.
4 offloads.
10 tackle busts.
Ive run for 299m.
Ive 2951 kick meters.
Ive got 10 forced line dropouts.
I've made 19 errors.
I have a 83% tackle efficiency rating.
I have missed 38 tackles.
I have 7 try causes and finally 4 line break causes.

As a final thought, Id love to put a wins vs losses stat up in 2018 for both players. However, I cant. I can remember Sezer kicking a FG to win us one. So that cancels out Austin the other night. I have listed 4 games where Austin was a major contributor to losses. Those are just the ones I've already written about. Soooo... Id say the ledger isn't in Austin's favour. Given defence is half the game, and his attack isn't twice as good, he isn't worth it.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote:Austin's lost us more games in the last 2 seasons than any other player. One 15 minute blitzkrieg against the Bulldogs doesnt change much

Summed up perfectly

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by PhilY »

dubby wrote:
Pigman wrote:Austin's lost us more games in the last 2 seasons than any other player. One 15 minute blitzkrieg against the Bulldogs doesnt change much

Summed up perfectly

Despite the stats, I remain an Austin fan. To me it comes back to the use of the bench and extracting the best from each player. OK he’s definitely not a defender, but he’s a proven strike weapon, especially with a tiring opposition. Injected into the game at the right time, with fresh legs and a ton of spark, he could still be a fantastic asset. All he needs to be able to demonstrate his ability is a coach that knows how to use him. I hope he does well wherever he goes, I love watching him in full flight.

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

PhilY wrote: July 9, 2018, 10:34 am
dubby wrote:

Summed up perfectly

Despite the stats, I remain an Austin fan. To me it comes back to the use of the bench and extracting the best from each player. OK he’s definitely not a defender, but he’s a proven strike weapon, especially with a tiring opposition. Injected into the game at the right time, with fresh legs and a ton of spark, he could still be a fantastic asset. All he needs to be able to demonstrate his ability is a coach that knows how to use him. I hope he does well wherever he goes, I love watching him in full flight.
He could be the best impact player in the game but you can't have an impact player wanting 700k sitting on your bench. He either needs to be more realistic about his worth or be a better defender. We can see from the last 2 years he's extremely unlikely to do either.
If he can go and earn big $$$ elsewhere he should take it up. He's just not worth that to us.
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by PhilY »

zim wrote:
PhilY wrote: July 9, 2018, 10:34 am
dubby wrote:

Summed up perfectly

He could be the best impact player in the game but you can't have an impact player wanting 700k sitting on your bench. He either needs to be more realistic about his worth or be a better defender. We can see from the last 2 years he's extremely unlikely to do either.
If he can go and earn big $$$ elsewhere he should take it up. He's just not worth that to us.
I agree with the dollar argument. Amazed he’d been offered close to that and very unlikely he’ll get close to that figure wherever he goes. Still would have liked to see him used more as a strike weapon than an 80 min half, but I guess he wouldn’t have been happy in that role and would have chased a bigger dollar 80min position elsewhere. A no win for us. Pity.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Problem with Blake is his consistency.

He reacted well after a stint in mounties, then went back to bad habits. Gets dropped to the bench, had a blinder.

Blake needs to stop reading forums and start switching on every bloody game

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I wonder if things would be different if Blake Austin was playing fullback and Jack Wighton was playing 5/8 for the last 2 years ?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yeah we'd have a much worse fullback.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

He’s probably more suited to the fullback role but I really don’t think he has the fitness or durability to play fullback full time in the nrl. Regardless we have better options at fullback already in the squad playing on the wings as well as Wighton. Austin’s cost us a heap of Games over the last two years, 15minutes off the bench against pretty much a reserve grade sign doesn’t change the fact that he’s not the right option as a first choice half for us.