Blooding juniors

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Blooding juniors

Post by FROG »

Given our season is over, I reckon we should start blooding juniors in preparation for next year. Players that come to mind are

Jack Murchie
Emre Guler
Brad Abbey (getting an extended run at fb or wing)

Who else would you consider selecting?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Blooding juniors

Post by zim »

I think that's the limit. The others are development players (Horsburgh, Ravalawa -- or is he top squad now).

He's not a junior but I'd like to see Makatoa get a solid 20min run just to watch his enthusiasm. Him and Hunt were trying to out do each other in the trial and it was fun to watch.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Murchie needs to own a bench spot for the remainder of the season. He was so heavily talked up pre-season, this is his chance to show what he can do with not a lot of pressure on him.

I'd also like to see Craig Garvey, but I think we're more likely to see Shannon Boyd wearing the #9 at this point.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Of all the things that grind my gears about Stuart, this is the one thing that frustrates me most - his reluctance to give younger players decent minutes. Murchie, Guler and Horsburgh (though I think he is a dev player) need to be given a solid hit out this season to prepare them for bigger roles next year.

Look at Jack Williams at the Sharks. I guarantee if he was still playing for us, he wouldn't have seen a minute of game time.

Furner had a lot of faults as a coach, but you couldn't question his desire to bring younger players through the ranks. For every Papalii, Dugan, Milford, Croker, Wighton, he might have had the occasional James Stuart, but it gives supporters more to cheer for when they see a player with potential upside coming through instead of failed first graders like (no offence as I like him) Charlie Gubb. As a club we need to take more risks and try the younger players, if we are seen as a club that brings through juniors, it gives us more of a chance to sign the younger guns.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ravalawa is in the top squad and I hope he gets a run.

I believe Hunt is also contracted until next year. I would like to see him get a bit more game time if he is.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Id love to see Murchie and Guler share a bench role from now til the end of the year. They both look capable of progressing, even if they only get 20min stints once a fortnight.

Id be happy to see the back of Makatoa and Hunt. Neither are banging down the door to play NRL footy.

By all accounts Ravawala isn't banging the door down for a shot either.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Id like to see murchie and guler have a run off the bench, it wil give me something to cheer about now that our season is dead and buried
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Brisbane do it really well, although they have a few injuries this year. But yes it is much needed to do this as we need to see what we have for next year. Mulholland always talks up his depth in the juniors, well Mulholland time to put your money where your mouth is

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

LastRaider wrote: July 4, 2018, 1:06 pm Brisbane do it really well, although they have a few injuries this year. But yes it is much needed to do this as we need to see what we have for next year. Mulholland always talks up his depth in the juniors, well Mulholland time to put your money where your mouth is

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
:clap:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

TongueFTW wrote: July 4, 2018, 11:52 am Of all the things that grind my gears about Stuart, this is the one thing that frustrates me most - his reluctance to give younger players decent minutes. Murchie, Guler and Horsburgh (though I think he is a dev player) need to be given a solid hit out this season to prepare them for bigger roles next year.

Look at Jack Williams at the Sharks. I guarantee if he was still playing for us, he wouldn't have seen a minute of game time.

Furner had a lot of faults as a coach, but you couldn't question his desire to bring younger players through the ranks. For every Papalii, Dugan, Milford, Croker, Wighton, he might have had the occasional James Stuart, but it gives supporters more to cheer for when they see a player with potential upside coming through instead of failed first graders like (no offence as I like him) Charlie Gubb. As a club we need to take more risks and try the younger players, if we are seen as a club that brings through juniors, it gives us more of a chance to sign the younger guns.
I agree Stuart could have some more faith in the younger players. Especially now the season is over.
Jack Williams did spend 1.5 years in reserve grade coupled with 4 injuries to players around him before getting a go. He definitely made the most of it. Guler and Murchie are only in their first proper year of reserves.
I hope next year we're looking at those guys getting a chance ahead of someone like Gubb. They've still got room to develop into something. Gubb has peaked.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Matt wrote: July 4, 2018, 12:12 pm Id love to see Murchie and Guler share a bench role from now til the end of the year. They both look capable of progressing, even if they only get 20min stints once a fortnight.

Id be happy to see the back of Makatoa and Hunt. Neither are banging down the door to play NRL footy.

Which accounts are they? Ravalawa has had a great season based on what I have read and the little I have been able to watch.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: July 4, 2018, 1:46 pm
Matt wrote: July 4, 2018, 12:12 pm Id love to see Murchie and Guler share a bench role from now til the end of the year. They both look capable of progressing, even if they only get 20min stints once a fortnight.

Which accounts are they? Ravalawa has had a great season based on what I have read and the little I have been able to watch.
People I have spoken too. Said he is quick, but defensively poor.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Agree, from looking at the stats and highlights etc Ravalawa has been terrific, Hunt also putting up very good numbers as is Guler, Once its impossible for us to make the 8 then I'd like to see Guler, Knight and Hunt etc picked ahead of guys like Boyd and Paulo who aren't going to be here next year, in fact I'd like to see it now as if we are being honest theres no way we are playing finals footy, We are light on middle forwards for next year, we may as well find out if any of them are capable of being a first 17 player
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: July 4, 2018, 2:13 pm

People I have spoken too. Said he is quick, but defensively poor.
I think he's green at the moment. Good potential but needs a couple of years in reserves to develop that presence. Experience will help him work on that mental side of his game too.
As far as outside backs go I hope we hold onto him and Kris. Both could take big steps forward next year.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

TongueFTW wrote: July 4, 2018, 11:52 am Of all the things that grind my gears about Stuart, this is the one thing that frustrates me most - his reluctance to give younger players decent minutes. Murchie, Guler and Horsburgh (though I think he is a dev player) need to be given a solid hit out this season to prepare them for bigger roles next year.

Definitely reminds me of Elliott in that way.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Rick will just keep shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic...

I couldn’t wait for that movie to end, just as I can’t wait for this one to finish either. Depressing.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Murchie should be on the bench in place of Austin.

We're kicking our 2019 side in the balls with Austin's selection ahead of someone we are actually keeping and who might one day be a regular first grader.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Whilst we are at it Liam Knight should also be given a greater share of minutes to prepare him next year.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

What's the point of bringing Juniors onto the bench when Ricky won't even give them a run?

Realising Knight didn't even get a run last weekend was probably the most frustrating thing when you could see the forwards falling over with exhaustion.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Will Murchie and Guler be the next.
Morgan Boyle
Jack Williams
Lachlan Lewis
Patrick Mago
Mitch Barnett
Tevita Pangai jr

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: July 4, 2018, 9:47 pm Will Murchie and Guler be the next.
Morgan Boyle
Jack Williams
Lachlan Lewis
Patrick Mago
Mitch Barnett
Tevita Pangai jr

Boney, maybe Sticky is thinking if they are given a FG run they will be showcased to opposition sides to then be poached. :lol: Hilarious isn't it... 'Sticky is thinking' ... stop it ... too emotional to think clearly.

One at a time, the players who will not be here next year should be at Mounties so that those who will be here in 2019 can be given an opportunity to show how they will handle the step up to FG. Coaching for the future 101. To make it even clearer, Guler cannot play this weekend due to rep duty, but Murchie could easily replace Austin on the bench. When Guler is available, either Paulo or Boyd are put to one side so he can be given a crack.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:
Morgan Boyle
Jack Williams
Lachlan Lewis
Patrick Mago
Mitch Barnett
Tevita Pangai jr

Boney, maybe Sticky is thinking if they are given a FG run they will be showcased to opposition sides to then be poached. Image Hilarious isn't it... 'Sticky is thinking' ... stop it ... too emotional to think clearly.

One at a time, the players who will not be here next year should be at Mounties so that those who will be here in 2019 can be given an opportunity to show how they will handle the step up to FG. Coaching for the future 101. To make it even clearer, Guler cannot play this weekend due to rep duty, but Murchie could easily replace Austin on the bench. When Guler is available, either Paulo or Boyd are put to one side so he can be given a crack.
I'm not saying those blokes are superstars or there weren't other factors just they are juniors we didn't give a shot now currently playing nrl.
I'm sure there's others, we are possibly better off etc just an example

Edrick The Entertainer
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Has Abbey been signed by a Super League side for next year?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: July 5, 2018, 6:15 am
RedRaider wrote:
Morgan Boyle
Jack Williams
Lachlan Lewis
Patrick Mago
Mitch Barnett
Tevita Pangai jr

Boney, maybe Sticky is thinking if they are given a FG run they will be showcased to opposition sides to then be poached. Image Hilarious isn't it... 'Sticky is thinking' ... stop it ... too emotional to think clearly.

I'm not saying those blokes are superstars or there weren't other factors just they are juniors we didn't give a shot now currently playing nrl.
I'm sure there's others, we are possibly better off etc just an example

Id say that's exactly what he is thinking Boney
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Why give players a run of their form doesn't justify it?

I don't watch the lower grades and don't know who is pressing for first grade, but from what I gather reading here is that there aren't many players whose form demands first grade selection.

You don't select young dudes at the highest level just because. Otherwise you end up with your Mitch Cornishes and Ben Pickers.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dubby's right. Why give a FG spot to a young kid who needs some experience at the top level when we can keep picking dudes who are destined for other clubs in a lost season
Every game matters. And certainly you dont make rash changes to a team which is below 0.500. You have to EARN a spot in FG in a team operating on the level we are.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Its a pity Guler is on jr origin duty, coz id say he has earnt a shot... well maybe not a pity, coz rep footy is rep footy, but u know what i mean
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Murchie has been in the extended squad most weeks but hasn't got a minute of game time. Guler has recently been included in extended bench, so both are obviously being recognised for good performances in the lower grades.

I don't think anyone is saying we should be tanking games to fill our squad with kids, but if we can give those 2 an hour of game time over the rest of the season, it will give them a MUCH better idea of what first grade really is, and prepare them better for the offseason. Im sick of seeing players like Jack Williams, Mitch Barnett etc going to other teams for an opportunity to play, given that we keep going to market to fill the gaps with players like Gubb and Knight.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: July 6, 2018, 11:22 am Murchie has been in the extended squad most weeks but hasn't got a minute of game time. Guler has recently been included in extended bench, so both are obviously being recognised for good performances in the lower grades.

I don't think anyone is saying we should be tanking games to fill our squad with kids, but if we can give those 2 an hour of game time over the rest of the season, it will give them a MUCH better idea of what first grade really is, and prepare them better for the offseason. Im sick of seeing players like Jack Williams, Mitch Barnett etc going to other teams for an opportunity to play, given that we keep going to market to fill the gaps with players like Gubb and Knight.
:thumbsup
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

No one is pressing for fg... Until Ricky gets origin players the side is gonna be ****,he has think about it deeply, because nun of yas know how to think deep...pity it doesn't involve showing a side how to defend. And when we have poor defence and great attack.... TAKE THE TWO !!!! ****
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

If Sticky would only give juniors like Cotric a go.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 7, 2018, 1:14 pm If Sticky would only give juniors like Cotric a go In his preferred position of fullback when your starting Fullback will be missing for the rest of the year.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 7, 2018, 1:14 pm If Sticky would only give juniors like Cotric a go In his preferred position of fullback when your starting Fullback will be missing for the rest of the year.
Or blood Abbey like numerous people in the thread are calling for. He can't win.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

All we want is for him to finally find Daley, Belcher, Stick, Walters and Meninga incarnates and give them the chance they deserve. Is that too much to ask? FML

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021