From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

NBL Thread

Post by Butters »

Liquidators appointed to Sydney Kings

Nicholas Crouch of Crouch Insolvency chartered accountants was appointed official liquidator of Sydney Kings Syndicate Pty Ltd by the Supreme Court of New South Wales

His appointment follows an application by Workers Compensation Nominal Insurer which was owed some $130,000.

The company is the operating company of the Sydney Kings Basketball team.

The liquidator will seek expressions of interests for a sale of the residual assets of the company.

It will also enter into discussions with the National Basketball League (NBL) to determine if there is any prospect of resurrecting the once high flying basketball team.

"If there is a white knight out there we invite you to contact the liquidator at Crouch Insolvency," Mr Crouch said.

Ms Shabnam Amirbeaggi, a partner at Crouch Insolvency, added that the liquidator will examine the feasibility of the Kings franchise being recapitalised via a sale of assets or deed of company arrangement.

"It's far too early to comment on the viability of this option," she said.

The liquidator said he will also undertake investigations into the conduct of Kings director and club owner Tim Johnston and the company's operations generally.

The NBL earlier on Thursday terminated the team's licence after Mr Johnston had failed to pay outstanding money owed to players by Wednesday's 1700 AEST deadline.

The licence will be returned to the NBL office.

The club was issued with a default notice on May 27 but the payments remained unmade despite repeated attempts to resolve the situation with the Kings' owners and management.

NBL chief executive Chuck Harmison said on Thursday that the chances of an immediate rescue of the Kings were slim.

The Kings, which won three straight NBL premierships in 2003-05, are believed to have debts of about $1.5 million.

The club's closure coincides with similar difficulties at the Brisbane Bullets, which must find new owners before June 30 or also face being axed from the NBL.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Re: Sydney Kings... Over?

Post by Butters »

I am just so sick of the NBL. What a **** sham the whole comp is. Basketball is one of the strongest junior sports in this country but possibly has the worst run sporting competition in this country.

It makes me sick to see a sport I love being absolutely torn apart. How do they expect young kids to take up basketball when this crap continues to happen.

First the Cannons, now the Kings and soon to be Brisbane.

I have had enough!

:thumbsdown
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Basketball is a shambles in this country, always has been, probably always will be
abit NSLish imo

participation levels are one thing but the code is in dire straights...
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

Gone are the glory days where the Canberra Cannons, South East Melbourne Magic, Wollongong Falcons, North Melbounre Giants and Geelong Super Cats Graced our comp..
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

without the kings and def if the bullets go, they will lose the Hummer sponsorship as well. This could be it.

I wish this happened to things like Idol instead.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Can't Believe the naming rights sponsor was only worth $800,000 a season...
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Schifty wrote:Can't Believe the naming rights sponsor was only worth $800,000 a season...
The league has never had enough money to attract quality players, and never enough quality players to attract big money.

Do you know what the fox sports deal was worth?

They need to get there sh*t together quickly. We are at the start of a golden age for quality aussie players - Bogut, Mills, Jawai and several others over in the US college system. They need to piggy back off the success while they can.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

However, without the popular team, the NBL could lose its $800,000 naming rights sponsor, Hummer, and an $800,000 pay-TV deal with Fox Sports, which could each spell the end of the competition.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/06/ ... 35354.html

Pretty cheap considering how many games a year there is..
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

Shezza wrote:
Schifty wrote:Can't Believe the naming rights sponsor was only worth $800,000 a season...
The league has never had enough money to attract quality players, and never enough quality players to attract big money.

Do you know what the fox sports deal was worth?

They need to get there sh*t together quickly. We are at the start of a golden age for quality aussie players - Bogut, Mills, Jawai and several others over in the US college system. They need to piggy back off the success while they can.
Exactly Shezza. Basketball junior levels have never been higher. Australia has huge potential to be a great basketballing nation, not just a competitive one. We are in with a shot these Olympics imo.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

all i can say is the nbl needs john o'neill

he turned the nsl into the a league which is very strong

thats what the nbl needs
Tina Furner
David Furner

Post by Tina Furner »

timmay - you might want to re check the facts on that one :lol:

Australia could be anything on the world stage. Don't forget AJ Ogilvy who's a higher rated prospect than Jawai but went back to Vanderbilt. So long as it's still played in schools etc, the good prospects can still go over to the US for college and play professional in Europe(or if their good enough the NBA).

As much as i'd like to see a prospering NBL competition... I'd be willing to bet that hardly any of the kids playing would ever aspire to play in a domestic league.
Herbert dug a hole

Good on ya Herb!
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

Tina Furner wrote:timmay - you might want to re check the facts on that one :lol:

Australia could be anything on the world stage. Don't forget AJ Ogilvy who's a higher rated prospect than Jawai but went back to Vanderbilt. So long as it's still played in schools etc, the good prospects can still go over to the US for college and play professional in Europe(or if their good enough the NBA).

As much as i'd like to see a prospering NBL competition... I'd be willing to bet that hardly any of the kids playing would ever aspire to play in a domestic league.
We still need a strong domestic competition for the majority of Australian guys to play for. The majority of Boomers still come from the NBL, more so then the A-League/Socceroos for example.
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

Speaking of Boomers, I am so excited to watch them go around at the Olympics. Look at our big men this year...

Nathan Jawai, Chris Anstey, Andrew Bogut, Ian Crosswhite, David Andersen, Andrew Ogilvy just to start with.
Tina Furner
David Furner

Post by Tina Furner »

We do need a domestic competition simply for depth. Our best players should go to America and Europe while the fringe players should stay here (Just like Soccer). But how do you fix that? Too many other sports are getting a big chunk of the pie.
Herbert dug a hole

Good on ya Herb!
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

Tina Furner wrote:We do need a domestic competition simply for depth. Our best players should go to America and Europe while the fringe players should stay here (Just like Soccer). But how do you fix that? Too many other sports are getting a big chunk of the pie.
Our competition is at a point where it is strong enough to produce World-Quality players though. There is hardly enough space in overseas competitions for blokes like Kendall, Worthington etc. It is important for these type of players to remain in Australia to inspire young kids. If only these guys were household names... they deserve to be. They are world-class athletes in one of the best sports in the world.
Infamous GH!
Brett Mullins

Post by Infamous GH! »

Well after all this has happened , I can now say I went to the last ever Kings game.

I was a fan over the years , remember one of the point guards they had one year. Kendrick Johnson. That guy had speed to burn.

It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back - 'We Are The Raiders Army'
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

News around is that the Kings may be around for next season. Stronger word however is that this will be the last year of the NBL as we know it before it is totally revamped. It needs to be done imo.

I would love to see the following team structure:

Sydney [One Team with games split between Ent Centre (East) and Superdome (West)]
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth
Brisbane
Townsville
Cairns
Canberra
Wollongong
Newcastle/Hunter/Central Coast

Gold Coast I am unsure of. There isn't room for a fourth QLD team in a smaller comp... Were they successful? I would think of merging Townsville and Cairns into a Northern Qld Venture but unsure how the locals would respond to this. Melbourne maybe deserves two sides but I think the NBL should follow the A-Leagues lead in limiting the amount of sides. I know in NSW Wollongong needs to have a side, it is such a Basketball loving place...

Basketball is probably close to our most nation-wide sport. Teams spread across lots of states...

Anyone else have any ideas?
Infamous GH!
Brett Mullins

Post by Infamous GH! »

Butters wrote:News around is that the Kings may be around for next season. Stronger word however is that this will be the last year of the NBL as we know it before it is totally revamped. It needs to be done imo.

I would love to see the following team structure:

Sydney [One Team with games split between Ent Centre (East) and Superdome (West)]
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth
Brisbane
Townsville
Cairns
Canberra
Wollongong
Newcastle/Hunter/Central Coast

Gold Coast I am unsure of. There isn't room for a fourth QLD team in a smaller comp... Were they successful? I would think of merging Townsville and Cairns into a Northern Qld Venture but unsure how the locals would respond to this. Melbourne maybe deserves two sides but I think the NBL should follow the A-Leagues lead in limiting the amount of sides. I know in NSW Wollongong needs to have a side, it is such a Basketball loving place...

Basketball is probably close to our most nation-wide sport. Teams spread across lots of states...

Anyone else have any ideas?

Read yesterday about those Sydney Kings fans using there own cash to revive the team. One diehard has even cancelled a planned trip to europe.

My opinion is the comp needs an overhaul for the next season. Something needs to happen now.

Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

bullets done ...... sad
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
raider_jim
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by raider_jim »

time for an overhaul
BLEEDS GREEN
Infamous GH!
Brett Mullins

Post by Infamous GH! »

raider_jim wrote:time for an overhaul

There has been. The Sydney Spirit.

Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

Infamous GH! wrote:

Spirit :thumbsdown Terrible roster tbh.

The whole comp needs an overhaul. I won't be happy until the reinstatement of the mighty Cannons.
Infamous GH!
Brett Mullins

Post by Infamous GH! »

Butters wrote:
Infamous GH! wrote:

Spirit :thumbsdown Terrible roster tbh.

The whole comp needs an overhaul. I won't be happy until the reinstatement of the mighty Cannons.

Your right Tobes , even the singlet looks bad and they can't get a sponsor on it. They are having trouble securing matches at their home court and have been forced to take a match to Canberra. One of their players is from Jamaica , just missed out on the N.B.A apparently, but thats what they all say.

cdh49
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Josh McCrone

NBL Thread

Post by cdh49 »

National Basketball League thread
thickos
Laurie Daley

Re: NBL Thread

Post by thickos »

so, which team is going bankrupt this week?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

i think its the whole comp...seriously fox and hummer pulled out

and i think ive seen all of 3 ppl at a game recently :lol:
cdh49
Gary Coyne

Post by cdh49 »

Spirit finally won a game

The NBL is gonna go down soon
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

Q-Town Raider wrote:Spirit finally won a game

The NBL is gonna go down soon
Lets hope someone intervenes and fixes this shambles - an A-League style reshuffle is in order! Scrap everything and start again. For a game which has massive massive junior numbers, an ever improving Australian presence in the international game and an awesome product with which to work with, the NBL competition is utter tripe, complete rubbish!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

heard that bball australia will take it over next year and some super comp will be thought up
cdh49
Gary Coyne

Post by cdh49 »

Butters wrote:Lets hope someone intervenes and fixes this shambles - an A-League style reshuffle is in order! Scrap everything and start again. For a game which has massive massive junior numbers, an ever improving Australian presence in the international game and an awesome product with which to work with, the NBL competition is utter tripe, complete rubbish!
I agree. The whole thing will be stuffed up otherwise
Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer »

Hawks last game finished :cry: They won 86-76
A big thanks to Fistinz for the signature
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Despite the poor setup... I still enjoy a good game of local basketball. Great game last night, despite the Crocs losing on the buzzer :cry:

Cedar looks awesome, that man can sink a 3.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Great brawl. A lack of head butting though!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

GSW 19/20 NBA Champs. You heard it here first

Seriously though the NBA needs to step in at some point
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Manchild wrote:GSW 19/20 NBA Champs. You heard it here first ImageImage

Seriously though the NBA needs to step in at some point
Wrong thread?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.