All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Sia Soliola re-signs for two years

Post by -GD- »

Sia Soliola re-signs with the Canberra Raiders on two year deal

Canberra Raiders forward Sia Soliola has agreed to a new two-year deal, which will see him remain with the Raiders until the end of the 2020 season.

"I'm really excited and happy to be remaining in Canberra. I broke the news to my son Israel and he's really excited too. Canberra has become a home for our family and we are looking forward to staying here," Soliola said. "Although our results on the field haven't been where we wanted to be this year I know we've got a very talented group of players here for the next couple of seasons and I'm very humbled to be a part of that."

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... e-raiders/

Canberra Raiders re-sign Sia Soliola until the end of 2020 NRL season: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zp7d.html
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Sia Soliola re-signs for two years

Post by Matt »

Solid signing. I certainly feel we play better footy with him around. He has probably been our best prop this yr.
BUT... he is too slow to cover the edge these days. Milf made him look foolish on the weekend.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Not sure if he still has 2 quality years left to offer tbh. Looked out of touch last year but has been reasonably solid this year, I guess

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good outcome.
Hugh Myron
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by Hugh Myron »

HUGE signing, even if he’s kept around for a mentoring role I think he sets a fantastic standard for the younger up and coming blokes !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Good signing, especially considering our middle stocks at the moment.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Good stuff. Needs to stay in the middle now. Should only be playing prop next year.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Makaveli wrote:Not sure if he still has 2 quality years left to offer tbh. Looked out of touch last year but has been reasonably solid this year, I guess

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
That was my first thought as well. Not unhappy though
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

My missus loves Sia...

Muscles she keeps sayin..look at them muscles.

Pfffft..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Disappointing if I'm honest. Much like the Sezer signing, it's accepting what we've got and not doing much better.
Everyone bangs on about Austin missing tackles - the inside man on the Milford tackles was Sia.

He's too slow these days and rarely packs a punch. I guess if you get a highlight reel tackle every 10 weeks you get a two year contract. Shame.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

TheGH. Home of the curve ball.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Wait wait wait, people do realise that Sia missed Milford not only after going out to the edge but also after playing more than 30 mins straight in the middle without a break don’t they?
The guys not really suited to edge anymore but he’s more than handy in the middle, and won’t be needed out wide when John Bateman signs and/or Jack Murchie develops, Sia’s been our best prop this year and is still only 31, happy with the 2 year deal, great re-signing imo
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Love4Noa wrote: July 3, 2018, 5:43 pm Disappointing if I'm honest. Much like the Sezer signing, it's accepting what we've got and not doing much better.
Everyone bangs on about Austin missing tackles - the inside man on the Milford tackles was Sia.

He's too slow these days and rarely packs a punch. I guess if you get a highlight reel tackle every 10 weeks you get a two year contract. Shame.
Very harsh. He has been our best prop this year and our prop stocks are threadbare next year. Sure he missed a tackle but it's rare.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He has consistently been our forward leader this year and extremely noticeable when his line speed is off a little (and nobody else fills the bloody void). To highlight his flaws while glossing over Stuart's issues (in another thread) is absolutely ridiculous.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Has been good this year. Two more years will see him out, but I reckon he's got another couple of seasons in him there in the middle.

Good signing.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Agree with TR here
He had a really bad year last year but his work rate and enthusiasm off the bench this year has lifted the team a number of times. He's a good guy to have around the club.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Good News, Sia is the heart ans soul of our engine room
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I'm a Sia fan and happy enough with the signing but share concerns about whether he has two years. Serious question - if we didn't sign him and he wanted to play on would anyone else grab him?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Billy Walker wrote: July 3, 2018, 8:36 pm I'm a Sia fan and happy enough with the signing but share concerns about whether he has two years. Serious question - if we didn't sign him and he wanted to play on would anyone else grab him?
Sia would find employment I'm sure.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

-PJ- wrote: July 3, 2018, 8:44 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 3, 2018, 8:36 pm I'm a Sia fan and happy enough with the signing but share concerns about whether he has two years. Serious question - if we didn't sign him and he wanted to play on would anyone else grab him?
Sia would find employment I'm sure.
Easily, Most squads I would assume would carry 7/8 middles in there top 30 these days,multiply that out by 16 clubs and that’s a hell of a lot of job opportunities.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Good signing for the Raiders, particularly with an emerging center third player like Guler coming through. He will have the likes of Papa and Sia to show him the ropes in FG.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I had concerns about him last year as an edge but his form since a move to the middle is A-OK by me.

He's solid. He leads our defensive speed and just runs straight and hard. Puts Boyd and Paulo to shame really with his balls and effort. We need a charge down- it's Sia or Whitehead. We need a hit to stop a roll or gain dominance- it's Sia or Papa. He's not a top money forward but I doubt he's demanding that either. Solid FG money hopefully. Half NRL clubs would snap him up for a year.

I'm happy to have him around as a FG player next year again and then after that at worst he'd be a Kidwell type squad man to show how its really done or he might even keep playing decent footy.

He's more effective than Lui right now (who I have nothing against as a squad fill prop) so yes, resign.

That's all objective as a player without even considering his mentor role and I damn well hope we keep him after the fact and don't lose him like Wiki.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: July 3, 2018, 9:27 pm I had concerns about him last year as an edge but his form since a move to the middle is A-OK by me.

He's solid. He leads our defensive speed and just runs straight and hard. Puts Boyd and Paulo to shame really with his balls and effort. We need a charge down- it's Sia or Whitehead. We need a hit to stop a roll or gain dominance- it's Sia or Papa. He's not a top money forward but I doubt he's demanding that either. Solid FG money hopefully. Half NRL clubs would snap him up for a year.

I'm happy to have him around as a FG player next year again and then after that at worst he'd be a Kidwell type squad man to show how its really done or he might even keep playing decent footy.

He's more effective than Lui right now (who I have nothing against as a squad fill prop) so yes, resign.

That's all objective as a player without even considering his mentor role and I damn well hope we keep him after the fact and don't lose him like Wiki.
Yeah - good points. Can't disagree with anything you've said there.