NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton pleads guilty to two charges of assault

Post by edwahu »

BigPapa wrote: June 30, 2018, 2:02 pm
edwahu wrote: June 30, 2018, 1:44 pm Our record with Jack at centre is pretty awful. I'm sure he would be a good one but I don't think he has stood out in any of his stints there.
What is our record with Jack at centre?
6-15 and lost 12 of the last 13. To be fair they were very ordinary sides.

His record at fullback is obviously much better. 46-38.

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/play ... tions.html
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton pleads guilty to two charges of assault

Post by BadnMean »

His best game at centre was at left centre filling in for Croker anyway. Scored a gangbusters try there I recall. He naturally fends and swerves suited to running on the left side of the field (same as he's more dangerous over that side as fullback) so he's not going to centre anytime soon. He was just ok as a right centre- some nice defence but it was more his youth and potential that was exciting than anything he actually did.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote: June 29, 2018, 4:46 pm A month seems fair.

I'd be interested to see the footage, maybe they will release it after all the court proceedings are over.
PUl Kent said on MTty Johns that the NRL is concerned about the footage becoming public, but it’s not as bad as we might have been led to believe. Or words to that effect.
No wonder the nrl doesn't want it made public, would show how biased they are!

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

RedRaider wrote: June 30, 2018, 2:12 pm I know little about the ACT legal system. Do they take 'Victims impact Statements' and if so does this influence the penalties? Jack has put in a guilty plea but has he apologised to those on the receiving end of his Birthday bash? A public show of remorse/contrition could do no harm.
It sounds like this sort of thing could be included in this circle court setup. I was reading up on it and it sounds like the victims are included if they're willing. Whether that would be a good or bad thing for Jack I don't know.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders board to help Jack Wighton face consequences of Civic brawl

The Canberra Raiders board vow to stand by Jack Wighton and help the fullback face the consequences of his late-night Civic brawl.

"We don't condone Jack's behaviour and he of course will have to face the serious consequences of that.,” Raiders chairman Allan Hawke said. "The board has no intention of tearing up his contract. We will stand by him and help him to address the issues he's facing, his family concerns, his welfare, his well-being and whatever else needs to be done."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zor4.html

Raiders confident Jack Wighton case won't be a distraction

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is adamant the Green Machine can overcome the noise of Jack Wighton's looming court date as they look to keep their season from flatlining.

"It wasn't [a distraction against the Broncos], you saw the way we played," Stuart said. "It wasn't a distraction. I've got a very tough bunch of kids there that handled the change late in the week, and you can see the way we played. It didn't have any bearing on the result. We should have won that game. It was our own doing in regards to why we didn't."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zotl.html
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

excellent response Mr Hawke

Edrick The Entertainer
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

If he's only got a month off then he should consider himself very, very lucky considering what he's done
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

afgtnk wrote:If he's only got a month off then he should consider himself very, very lucky considering what he's done
Based on other charges, fines and suspensions for fighting, I don’t know if a month is getting lucky.

Seems about par for the course. Unless the case was more serious than the charges suggest.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The world is getting fed up with the NRL’s Bull.

Par for the course is changing. Not fast enough.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

gangrenous wrote: July 1, 2018, 6:07 pm The world is getting fed up with the NRL’s Bull.

Depends which course, par seems to be quite different
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Johno wrote:
gangrenous wrote: July 1, 2018, 6:07 pm The world is getting fed up with the NRL’s Bull.

Depends which course, par seems to be quite different
Yep Wighton playing of scratch at Raiders and Lodge 36 handicap at Broncos.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

To be fair it was a couple of years after the incident before Lodge played again.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lodge should never have been allowed back into the NRL, certainly not before his case in the USA was settled. Disgrac3ful from the NRL.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:Lodge should never have been allowed back into the NRL, certainly not before his case in the USA was settled. Disgrac3ful from the NRL.
Completely agree

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

LastRaider wrote: July 1, 2018, 8:56 pm
greeneyed wrote:Lodge should never have been allowed back into the NRL, certainly not before his case in the USA was settled. Disgrac3ful from the NRL.
Completely agree

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Agree.
I thought it was odd how upfront they claimed they were but yet no mention of his prior domestic abuse charge until the media dredged it up. Lodge is a without a doubt top of the pile when it comes to scumbags in the NRL.

Mind you if Jack was doing anything other than defending himself then he can bugger off too.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton pleads guilty to two charges of assault

Post by Billy Walker »

Mind you if Jack was doing anything other than defending himself then he can bugger off too.
Do you plead guilty if you have acted in self defence?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Paul Kent on NRL360 saying the NRL want Jack suspended for 10 weeks, which the Raiders are resisting.

Kent also saying the guilty pleas are indeed a deal with the prosecution (for those claiming there’s no deal... there’s the answer), and part of the deal is the CCTV vision won’t be tendered into evidence. So the only way it will ever hit the media is it is illegally leaked.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Billy Walker wrote: July 2, 2018, 5:23 pm
It think it would be pretty hard for a guy of Wighton's size and athletic ability to claim self-defence unless he was cornered or defending someone else.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Green eyed Mick wrote: July 2, 2018, 7:20 pm
It think it would be pretty hard for a guy of Wighton's size and athletic ability to claim self-defence unless he was cornered or defending someone else.
Wasn't it 5 on 1?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Jack Wighton pleads guilty to assault charges

Post by Botman »

Athletic ability and size has little to do with self defence.

He was either attacked and responded appropriately to defend himself and ceased the response when he was able to be safe. That's self defence.

What isnt self defence is if he was NOT attacked and instead was the aggressor OR, after being attacked and responding in self defence, he carried on with the job well beyond what was required.

Size and athletic ability really has little to do with it. LeBron James doesnt lose his rights to self defence because he's an athletic freak.
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

Fair point.
TBH I'm kinda over footy players drawing attention for all the wrong reasons. In particular to the club I support. I have no interest in seeing another club pick him up either so it is a no win really. EDIT.
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

Pigman wrote: July 2, 2018, 8:27 pm Athletic ability and size has little to do with self defence.

He was either attacked and responded appropriately to defend himself and ceased the response when he was able to be safe. That's self defence.

What isnt self defence is if he was NOT attacked and instead was the aggressor OR, after being attacked and responding in self defence, he carried on with the job well beyond what was required.

Size and athletic ability really has little to do with it. LeBron James doesnt lose his rights to self defence because he's an athletic freak.
Well put.
I do believe in America athletic/fighting ability or training has been taken into account in sentencing and ofcourse in civil cases. I do assume
that is more in the second instance you wrote about carrying on put the end of the danger.
I am unsure whether it is considered here in sentencing.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Mitchell pearce got 8 weeks for his "dog" act

Vaccinated
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote: July 2, 2018, 7:04 pm Paul Kent on NRL360 saying the NRL want Jack suspended for 10 weeks, which the Raiders are resisting.

Kent also saying the guilty pleas are indeed a deal with the prosecution (for those claiming there’s no deal... there’s the answer), and part of the deal is the CCTV vision won’t be tendered into evidence. So the only way it will ever hit the media is it is illegally leaked.
Don't we have only 9 matches left?

With the season over we'd be insane not to take this deal. Can probably count one of the trial matches as a suspension as well.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

From GE's post, sounds like we'd be well advised to take the 10 weeks, eat **** on a year that's going no where in a **** hurry and hope the footage never gets leaked...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Just cop the 10 weeks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

cat wrote: July 2, 2018, 9:18 pm Mitchell pearce got 8 weeks for his "dog" act

actually scrap that, simulating a sexual act on a dog is WAAAAAY more serious than assaulting a man. 2 weeks MAX

Seriously if wighton is only getting 2 weeks more for assault than Pearce got for that, we got off lightly
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

TBH now that I've thought about it being forced to play in this team and have last minute losses is a bigger punishment than sitting on the sidelines and watching us do it.

Name him at fullback next week.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Corey norman got 8 weeks for drugs charges, in both these cases (pearce) they were not first offenses

Cant find any assault ones

Vaccinated
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This is the NRL we're talking about. Of course the footage will get leaked. Before the grand final, before next year's State of Origin, before a Test match. It'll happen sooner or later.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

cat wrote: July 2, 2018, 9:38 pm Corey norman got 8 weeks for drugs charges, in both these cases (pearce) they were not first offenses

Rec drugs >>>> Assault... is that what you're saying Cat?

This is quite a scene.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

gergreg wrote: July 2, 2018, 9:41 pm This is the NRL we're talking about. Of course the footage will get leaked. Before the grand final, before next year's State of Origin, before a Test match. It'll happen sooner or later.
Nah it will be used on the Matty Johns show as a gag by next week "Ohh HIndy, you were a bit upset after that Eels loss, actually we have footage of you leaving the club..."
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Pigman wrote: July 2, 2018, 9:48 pm
cat wrote: July 2, 2018, 9:38 pm Corey norman got 8 weeks for drugs charges, in both these cases (pearce) they were not first offenses

Making Instagram **** videos>> Rec drugs >>>> Assault... is that what you're saying Cat?

This is quite a scene.

fixed.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Schifty wrote:
greeneyed wrote: July 2, 2018, 7:04 pm Paul Kent on NRL360 saying the NRL want Jack suspended for 10 weeks, which the Raiders are resisting.

With the season over we'd be insane not to take this deal. Can probably count one of the trial matches as a suspension as well.
What do you mean... trial matches...?
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

gangrenous wrote: July 2, 2018, 9:54 pm
Schifty wrote:

What do you mean... trial matches...?
Apologies,

2019 will probably see us play zero trial matches because the burnout from the pre season games we played this season is why we faded in those first 3 matches.