The Politics Thread 2018

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by Manbush »

SA to make law mandatory reporting for child abuse, no more confession protection. :clap:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.n ... le/9868332
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

TR a legal/business question for you, are there any legal repercussions if a business publicly states they will break the law, a contempt of court type of thing, conspiring or criminal intent?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

*queue some rant about how governments and law just need to get out of the way of business*

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

*cue
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manbush wrote: June 16, 2018, 11:04 am TR a legal/business question for you, are there any legal repercussions if a business publicly states they will break the law, a contempt of court type of thing, conspiring or criminal intent?
Probably depends on the law and the government of the time.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Much to general a question. In the most general possible sense though, expressing an intent to break a law wouldn't seem to be actionable in any case outside terrorism / violent crime.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sossman wrote:*queue some rant about how governments and law just need to get out of the way of business*

**** off

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

True.
gangrenous wrote:*cue

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

T_R wrote:
Sossman wrote:*queue some rant about how governments and law just need to get out of the way of business*

**** off

ImageImageImageImage.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote: June 16, 2018, 4:30 pm Much to general a question. In the most general possible sense though, expressing an intent to break a law wouldn't seem to be actionable in any case outside terrorism / violent crime.
Was in regards to mandatory reporting of child abuse.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote: June 16, 2018, 8:02 pm
T_R wrote: June 16, 2018, 4:30 pm Much to general a question. In the most general possible sense though, expressing an intent to break a law wouldn't seem to be actionable in any case outside terrorism / violent crime.
How would that work? You've either witnessed it and are therefore breaking the law by not reporting, or you have not witnessed it and expect to do so??

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:
Manbush wrote: June 16, 2018, 8:02 pm
How would that work? You've either witnessed it and are therefore breaking the law by not reporting, or you have not witnessed it and expect to do so??
See his earlier post. It was about whether institutions stating they would break the law was itself breaking the law.

So presumably he’s wondering whether there are any legal ramifications if the Catholic Church made public comments suggesting they were unwilling to comply with confessional laws.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

It's a conspiracy! Literally
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The institution isnt breaking the law, individual priests would be. But since we're talking about the confessional here and there are only two people present, it would pretty much take an admission to secure a conviction anyway.

Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

All the more reason to have churches treated as corporations under the Corporations Act?

Fines? Director (archbishop?) Accountabilty?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sossman wrote:All the more reason to have churches treated as corporations under the Corporations Act?

You'd have to demonstrate that the corporation reasonably could be expected to have knowledge of a private conversation between two people that took place in secrecy in a little two door box.

Good luck.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gangrenous »

But that’s still not what Manbush is asking about (as I understand it).

I think he’s interested in public declarations by the church governance in defiance of the law. E.g. what would happen if the church issued a statement that they had advised their priests to act according to their conscience on confessional reporting?

Not that it would happen.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

T_R wrote:
Sossman wrote:All the more reason to have churches treated as corporations under the Corporations Act?

You'd have to demonstrate that the corporation reasonably could be expected to have knowledge of a private conversation between two people that took place in secrecy in a little two door box.

Good luck.

Right, ok.

So a corporation is not vicariously liable for the acts and omissions of their officers and agents unless they have express knowledge of the breach?

Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Sossman wrote:
T_R wrote:

Good luck.

Right, ok.

So a corporation is not vicariously liable for the acts and omissions of their officers and agents unless they have express knowledge of the breach?

Wouldn't it be similar to OH&S law where directors can be personally accountable if found that there were inadequate policies, procedures, governance and enforcement in place to ensure compliance?

Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Back to Manbush's question. I'm a long way past crim law now and haven't touched it in ages. But from what I remember, offences that were "attempted xyz" or "intent to xyz" or "conspiracy to commit xyz" had to themselves be specific offenses in the criminal code?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sossman wrote:
T_R wrote:

Good luck.

Right, ok.

Would entirely depend on the situation

To clarify, I understand that the confessional specifically precludes the disclosure of information to the organisation.

Hence a reasonable person test.

Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

T_R wrote:
Sossman wrote:
T_R wrote:

Good luck.

Right, ok.

For sure.

If an employee was acting outside of company policy and their own authority having had adequate training... probably not.

If the company is definantly and publically stating it will not comply with a law... and directing its people to implement that stance... oooooofff errrrbody getting fisted.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sossman wrote:
Sossman wrote:
T_R wrote:

Good luck.

Right, ok.

Wouldn't it be similar to OH&S law where directors can be personally accountable if found that there were inadequate policies, procedures, governance and enforcement in place to ensure compliance?

That legislation is unique to OHS, I believe. It provides for an absolute responsibilty to be held by Directors. It's actually quite alarming, though courts have applied a very loose definition.

Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

T_R wrote:
Sossman wrote:
T_R wrote:

Good luck.

Right, ok.

To clarify, I understand that the confessional specifically precludes the disclosure of information to the organisation.

Hence a reasonable person test.

Ok good point.

How's this one. One priest confesses to another in the box that he's been offending.

The other priest, while not breaching the confidentiality, actively lobbies within the church to have the confessing priest moved from parish to parish.

Now. Senior church figures see this pattern of parish mobility, yet choose to keep quiet.

Was it a rogue element, or is that institutional?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Anyone worth a damn would argue that employees are moved within divisions of an institution all the time for a myriad of reasons, and that no assumptions could be made from that.

Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

T_R wrote:Anyone worth a damn would argue that employees are moved within divisions of an institution all the time for a myriad of reasons, and that no assumptions could be made from that.

Yes the very terse thin lipped legal eagle the company brings in to defend them would run that line immediately.

Is that right though? Should laws around director and board accountability reward those that value plausible deniability over proper governance and assurance?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

No, in this case it's obviously pretty **** far from right.

But that doesn't change the need to ultimately build a case beyond reasonable doubt.

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Well Trump might visit Australia in November.

Fortunately I've already organised with TR to hide in a cabin on his ranch for the duration of the trip.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Pretty sure if you threaten to break someones face or murder them, the threat, causing fear amounts to assault in nsw.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

If you engender a fear of being hit, that is assault.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

The Justice Kennedy retirement has kicked US politics up a notch. Going to be a very interesting next few months as the mid-terms get closer.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

No surprises in the by elections. Liberals look to have gone backwards everywhere they ran a candidate.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wasn't this supposed to be history in the making?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

-TW- wrote: July 28, 2018, 8:15 pm Wasn't this supposed to be history in the making?
Was it?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Green eyed Mick wrote: July 28, 2018, 7:22 pm No surprises in the by elections. Liberals look to have gone backwards everywhere they ran a candidate.
I took from the Antony Green summary that in Tasmania the Liberal candidate increased his share of the vote but there was an independent who preferenced Labor which has got them over the line.

Qld proved the big shock though with the collapse of the LNP vote. 'Big Trev' turned out to be a 'Big Trough'. I don't follow it that closely but 'Big Trev' apparently lost a state seat at the last state election and has a smell about him claiming to have a military medal which he did not earn. He also does not live in the area he is seeking election for. Either the depth of talent is poor or the LNP have botched the preselection. Could be both.

In South Australia the 'Downer' factor was a downer. Although I believe she has now moved to the area and will stand again at the next general election. The sitting member is very popular in Mayo and just proved it with a big increase in her primary vote. Good luck to her.