Post by greeneyed »

2018 Rd 16 V Broncos: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos
Saturday 30 June 7:30pm
Lang Park
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Morning fog then partly cloudy. Partly cloudy. Areas of morning fog. Slight chance of a shower. Light winds becoming northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the early afternoon then becoming light in the late afternoon. Chance of any rain: 20 per cent. Min 12 Max 24

Round 15 2018. Canberra Raiders 48 - Wests Tigers 12. Josh Hodgson returned for the Canberra Raiders from an ACL injury and he looked like he’d never been away from the field. He started on the bench... but when he came onto the field he took control. It was a masterful performance. The Raiders struggled until Hodgson was injected into the match. And at the half time break, the Tigers held a two point lead. But in the second half, the Raiders’ attack opened up and the points flowed for the Green Machine.

2018 Round 15 Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers

More on Round 15: As I saw it

In Round 16, the Raiders head to Brisbane for a meeting with the Broncos. It’s another must win for the Green Machine, given the break between the top eight and the rest on the competition ladder. Coach Ricky Stuart will start Josh Hodgson hooker, with Siliva Havili on the bench. Sia Soliola will also be part of the starting team at prop, with Dunamis Lui on the interchange. Junior Paulo (foot) has been named to return on the bench, with Luke Bateman (knee) sidelined.

For the Broncos, Tom Opacic replaces Sam Tagataese on the bench. Tevita Pangai Junior (ribs) maintains his place in the starting team.

Late changes: Brad Abbey will debut for the Raiders at fullback after Jack Wighton was stood down late in the week. Charlie Gubb is the other player to officially drop out of the Raiders squad, but Craig Garvey has travelled to Auckland to play for Mounties. Jack Murchie remains on the extended bench.

Tevita Pangai Jnr has been ruled out for the Broncos, with Alex Glenn coming into the starting team and Korbin Sims onto the bench.

History: The Raiders have won 19 of 51 matches against the Brisbane Broncos, with one draw. That’s just a 38 per cent win rate. Canberra is on a five game losing streak against the Broncos and have won only two of the past 10 matches. The Raiders have not won at Lang Park since 2010, when they secured a finals place - and knocked the Broncos out of finals contention - with a two point victory. Canberra has only won four of 17 matches against Brisbane at Lang Park. In addition, the Green Machine won just one of the six games played at QEII Stadium, when that was the Broncos’ home ground. Canberra lost both contests between the clubs in 2017, including the Round 4 Clash at Lang Park, 13-12.

2017 Round 16 Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

2017 Round 4 Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

2016 Round 14 Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

In this week’s "History Happens", we go back to that last victory at Lang Park. What a night it was!

2010 Round 26 Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

Form: The Raiders have a LLWLW form line in their past five matches, while the Broncos have a LWWLW record. The Broncos won, 20-16, against the Sharks at Cronulla in their most recent outing. They have had recent losses to the Storm and Sea Eagles, and wins over the Roosters and Eels.

Betting: The Brisbane Broncos are $1.63 favourites in the match, with the Raiders paying $2.30. The Raiders have 3.5 points start in the line betting. Despite the loss of Wighton, the odds have slightly shortened for the Raiders over the week.

Stat attack: It is a battle between eighth (Broncos) and ninth (Raiders) on the competition ladder. The Tigers have an 8 and 6 record so far in 2018, while the Raiders are 6 and 8. Canberra has played five matches against top eight teams and is yet to win one. The Broncos have won four of seven matches against top eight sides.

The Raiders’ attack (24 points and four tries scored per match) is better than the Broncos (19 points and three tries per match). However, the teams have a similar defensive record, with the Broncos conceding an average of 22 points (3.6 tries) per game, the Raiders 21 (3.3 tries). The Broncos are the only team in the top eight with a negative points differential (-44), while the Raiders are the only team in the bottom eight with a positive points differential (+36).

Both teams produce similar average running metres (Broncos 1444m, Raiders 1432m per match), but the Broncos produce more kicking metres (Broncos 512m, Raiders 386m per match). The Broncos have a slight better completion rate (Broncos 78 per cent, Raiders 76 per cent), while the Raiders produce slightly more metres per run (9.1-8.9 metres). There is not much difference in errors per game (Broncos nine, Raiders 10), but the Raiders average more penalties conceded (Broncos eight, Raiders 10). The Raiders make slightly more offloads (Raiders nine, Broncos eight per match on average) and line breaks (Raiders five, Broncos four per match).

The teams have a similar tackle efficiency rate (Raiders missing 30 of 339 tackles required on average per match, Broncos missing 31 of 356).

Our tip: The Raiders are four competition points adrift of the Brisbane Broncos and if Canberra is to make the finals, they must reduce that gap... and win in this match. Most of the team statistics are remarkably similar, with the Raiders having some advantage in attack. However, the frustrating thing for Raiders fans is that the Raiders have lost so many close matches - with their points differential an indicator that they may be a better team than their position on the ladder would suggest. The Broncos, on the other hand, have found a way to win some close ones.

Canberra’s record against the Broncos at Lang Park is also cause for concern. Ricky Stuart has brought his team to south east Queensland early this week for a camp at Sanctuary Cove in an effort to address the “hoodoo”. I’m hoping that helps. In addition, the successful return of Josh Hodgson in the last round is a big plus for the Raiders. But this is a very tough “road” assignment for the Green Machine. The head tells me I shouldn’t expect anything other than a Broncos win... probably a heart breaking one! Broncos by two.

What they’re saying:

Jarrod Croker on Elliott Whitehead’s man of the match performance for England: “The way Elliott played for England on the weekend was the amount of effort and how much he puts in for us every week. No one was surprised to see him get man of the match that's for sure. He had a blinder over there and to see him back here this morning just proves that he's back and healthy and ready to go again.”

Canberra Raiders

21. Brad Abbey
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Michael Oldfield
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Sia Soliola
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Siliva Havili
15. Junior Paulo
16. Dunamis Lui
17. Liam Knight

18. Jack Murchie
20. Craig Garvey

Brisbane Broncos

1. Darius Boyd ©
2. Corey Oates
3. James Roberts
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Matt Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Thaiday
17. Alex Glenn
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Josh McGuire

14. Patrick Mago
15. Joe Ofahengaue
16. Tom Opacic
18. Korbin Sims

20. Sam Tagataese
21. David Fifita
22. Kotoni Staggs

Officials:

Referees: Chris Sutton, Alan Shortall
Sideline Officials: Clayton Sharpe, Liam Kennedy
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLBroncosRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2018 Rd 16 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Preview updated for squads, weather, betting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32853&p=1600610#p1600610
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

My concern is Austin he’s been told he isn’t wanted so will he really care now ?
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!!! Go the Raiders...
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

And here we go..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game day in sunny Brisbane, a big welcome to the next superstar, Brad Abbey!
See you all at the Royal Albert in a few hours, il be the good looking bloke who looks like a young Mal Meninga, holding up the bar! :D

Caaaarn Raiders! let the winning streak begin!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

You know what I love about losing 4 games this season by 2 points or less and being in this situation? Absolutely nothing. We should be in the top 4 with a game in hand.

Anyway, the boys have dug themselves this hole, so it will be interesting to see how they respond.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Watching the game at home with my brother who supports Brisbane. I 100% expect a Brisbane win.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kryptonite wrote: June 30, 2018, 8:18 am Game day in sunny Brisbane, a big welcome to the next superstar, Brad Abbey!
See you all at the Royal Albert in a few hours, il be the good looking bloke who looks like a young Mal Meninga, holding up the bar! :D

Not the Royal Albert... The Lord Alfred!
Warlord
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Garyyyy BELCHER

Post by Warlord »

Everyone who's going to the game/the LA today, I'll see you there. I won't be hard to miss 😂
Bringing the old boy who is a Broncs fan so go easy on him! 😂😂😂😂
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

Carn the boys
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Penalty Broncos...
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: June 30, 2018, 3:18 am My concern is Austin he’s been told he isn’t wanted so will he really care now ?
Hes playing for a new contract elsewhere? Needs to show what he can do to get the next contract?
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Jack Wighton.... stood down yet not convicted in court, NRL step in and make the decision he cant play.

Matt Lodge... terrorised people, ordered to pay compensation, as yet has paid zilch, NRL allow him to play.

Fair?
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Johno wrote: June 30, 2018, 11:55 am Jack Wighton.... stood down yet not convicted in court, NRL step in and make the decision he cant play.

Matt Lodge... terrorised people, ordered to pay compensation, as yet has paid zilch, NRL allow him to play.

Fair?
Only a DELUSIONIST thinks the NRL is fair. Im also annoyed about the ref who cant possibly be fair even before kick off - what is it? 11 straights wins at Lang Park when Sutton has the whistle?
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Time to rewrite the history books or the remainder of the season is going to be pretty dull.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

greeneyed wrote: June 30, 2018, 8:47 am
Kryptonite wrote: June 30, 2018, 8:18 am Game day in sunny Brisbane, a big welcome to the next superstar, Brad Abbey!
Ooops, wrong Pub!
Not the Royal Albert... The Lord Alfred!
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

PerthRaider86 wrote: June 30, 2018, 11:30 am
InFernos_Raiders wrote: June 30, 2018, 3:18 am My concern is Austin he’s been told he isn’t wanted so will he really care now ?
Hes playing for a new contract elsewhere? Needs to show what he can do to get the next contract?
He hasn't cared for a bit. I hope he does well. He just hasnt been good for awhile
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Is Tapine a definite starter, talk on another site he may be out.

Haven't heard anything else other than team sheet.
WorkChoice
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Johno wrote:Jack Wighton.... stood down yet not convicted in court, NRL step in and make the decision he cant play.

Fair?
Um. He pleaded guilty. He beat people up. He's only going back to court for sentencing.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's known before this week that he wasn't going to be here next year.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Is Tapine playing?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Just watching the Edge on Fox. Josh Hodgson will back up and play today after Playing over in Denver.......

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2018 Rd 16 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

Oh I get it
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

T_R wrote: June 30, 2018, 1:16 pm
Johno wrote:Jack Wighton.... stood down yet not convicted in court, NRL step in and make the decision he cant play.

Fair?
Um. He pleaded guilty. He beat people up. He's only going back to court for sentencing.
I thought it wasnt finished he had just pleaded guilty?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

We need a good start here with no dropsies.

Stick with them and stay in the game.

Can't afford to be handing the ball over all night with stupid errors..

Must control the ball, and talk in D.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Johno wrote:

Fair?
Correct johno, everyone is ready to judge and hang jack. Lets all let the courts do their job.

You can plead guilty and have no conviction recorded,

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I expect Brisbane to drop the ball once the whole game.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Plz god let Tapine play
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Fair?
lol

Old Johno ain't the sharpest tool in the shed
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Johno is technically correct though. Jack wasn't convicted by the court, he pled guilty. Semantics, maybe, but there is a difference.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

raiderskater wrote:Johno is technically correct though. Jack wasn't convicted by the court, he pled guilty. Semantics, maybe, but there is a difference.
If you plead guilty you're guilty and it goes to sentencing, if you plead not guilty it goes to trial

It's not that hard to understand really..
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

afgtnk wrote: June 30, 2018, 4:56 pm

Fair?
lol

Old Johno ain't the sharpest tool in the shed
Whooooo, so its me and Sezer now?

You'd be an expert on tools buddy
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-TW- wrote: June 30, 2018, 5:37 pm
raiderskater wrote:Johno is technically correct though. Jack wasn't convicted by the court, he pled guilty. Semantics, maybe, but there is a difference.
If you plead guilty you're guilty and it goes to sentencing, if you plead not guilty it goes to trial

It's not that hard to understand really..
But you can be found guilty and have no conviction. I think Fergo had this happen. No idea how that works with the circle court stuff.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

cat wrote: June 30, 2018, 3:59 pm
Johno wrote:

Fair?
Correct johno, everyone is ready to judge and hang jack. Lets all let the courts do their job.

You can plead guilty and have no conviction recorded,

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Just like Fergo, Cat