From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Soccer/Football Thread

Post by reptar »

I have visions of #5 from Short Circuit running the sidelines
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-TW- wrote:AI Ref "inconclusive evidence, stay with your decision"
"inconclusive evidence, stay with your decision on field autonomous refbot. Oh and we’ve sent you co-ordinates of a crowd member with an inappropriate hand gesture towards you. Permission granted to execute immediately.”
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Haha glad i stumbled across this... I dont know **** about soccer, i love the world cup though. I'm watching as much of it as i can

hand on heart, that looked like a clumsy mistimed challenge and worthy of a penalty. One replay gave the impression he got a piece of the ball, the other two looked as though he missed it.
Getting near enough to 50% of possession and losing 2-1 to France is a pretty great result for us, i honestly thought they'd pump us by 3+ goals. I knew more of the french players by name than the aussies!
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

The Soccer/Football Thread

Post by RTW »

**** Pigman has found the football thread. Time to pack it up boys...
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Optus are the biggest pack of ****s in Australia.

They should try save some face and just hand back the rights to sbs to show it on free to air.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

From what I saw (which was at most a quarter of the match thanks to Optus) Serbia should have ended that game a lot earlier..
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Pigman wrote: June 17, 2018, 9:46 pm Haha glad i stumbled across this... I dont know **** about soccer, i love the world cup though. I'm watching as much of it as i can

hand on heart, that looked like a clumsy mistimed challenge and worthy of a penalty. One replay gave the impression he got a piece of the ball, the other two looked as though he missed it.
Getting near enough to 50% of possession and losing 2-1 to France is a pretty great result for us, i honestly thought they'd pump us by 3+ goals. I knew more of the french players by name than the aussies!
In all replays, though, the ball changed it spin when going past his foot. I'm okay with it being a penalty, but it irritated me commentators saying he missed the ball completely. They played well despite starting the game nervously. Hopefully they can take this into the subsequent games.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Schifty wrote:From what I saw (which was at most a quarter of the match thanks to Optus) Serbia should have ended that game a lot earlier..

I hear you loud and clear. Optus chat got some attention from me last night and this morning. Deadset amateur hour!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Works fine through the SBS app.. ironically enough
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: June 18, 2018, 10:51 am Works fine through the SBS app.. ironically enough
Ive heard that
i got up this morning for BRA-SUI and the feed cut out a few times, i lost audio, optus sport just crashed every 10 minutes
it was a disaster.

Ive downloaded SBS app and will give it a whirl tomorrow. Fingers crossed
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

RTW wrote: June 18, 2018, 9:25 am
Schifty wrote:From what I saw (which was at most a quarter of the match thanks to Optus) Serbia should have ended that game a lot earlier..

I hear you loud and clear. Optus chat got some attention from me last night and this morning. Deadset amateur hour!
I may have sent a few (many) tweets to Optus in the last 24 hours..

People shouldn't have to watch the world's biggest tournament on a phone screen, and also via an app that isn't made by the people meant to telecast the whole thing.

Anyway Malcolm Turnbull has come out and said he has spoken to the optus CEO who assures everything will be ok tonight.

I think EVERYONE knows how this story will end.

Also lets be honest, Costa Rica vs Serbia isn't going to draw the highest amount of traffic/data.. Unless angrier fans means more bandwidth in which I would then understand why it crashed..

Serbia had a player almost start an all in brawl with the opposition coach for time wasting with his side UP 1-0 in the 91st minute....
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Sbs have the rights for the next 48 hours while optus try and sort it out.

Ive got fetch tv on adsl (nbn not available yet) and haven't had a drama yet... from what im hearing, its the optus app on thinfs like apple tv and phones that are playing up...

Not defending them, just saying

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I found a moon rock in my nose....
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Schifty wrote: June 18, 2018, 4:40 pm
RTW wrote: June 18, 2018, 9:25 am

I may have sent a few (many) tweets to Optus in the last 24 hours..

People shouldn't have to watch the world's biggest tournament on a phone screen, and also via an app that isn't made by the people meant to telecast the whole thing.

Anyway Malcolm Turnbull has come out and said he has spoken to the optus CEO who assures everything will be ok tonight.

I think EVERYONE knows how this story will end.
How did it end?
Sounds your favourite PM got the job done ;)
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

What is the opposite of damage control?

This.

Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Croatia 3

Argentina nothing
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Argentina big chance of going out the back door
SubLime Green
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by SubLime Green »

I hate the poms as much as anyone else, but could the SBS commentator sound any less enthusiastic about these English goals against Panama? :lol:
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

SubLime Green wrote: June 24, 2018, 10:37 pm I hate the poms as much as anyone else, but could the SBS commentator sound any less enthusiastic about these English goals against Panama? :lol:
Other than the Lingard goal, there wasn't much to get enthused about. To me it feels like England played out a "scratchy" 6-1 win as ridiculous as that sounds.

The cracker from Lingard was world class, but other then that you had 2 Pens, 2 Set Pieces and a horrendously lucky deflection... Only 1 goal from open play.... against a "minnow" team... it wasn't exactly an attacking masterclass...
SubLime Green
Ruben Wiki

Post by SubLime Green »

Dibbers wrote: June 25, 2018, 12:09 pm
SubLime Green wrote: June 24, 2018, 10:37 pm I hate the poms as much as anyone else, but could the SBS commentator sound any less enthusiastic about these English goals against Panama? :lol:
Other than the Lingard goal, there wasn't much to get enthused about. To me it feels like England played out a "scratchy" 6-1 win as ridiculous as that sounds.

The cracker from Lingard was world class, but other then that you had 2 Pens, 2 Set Pieces and a horrendously lucky deflection... Only 1 goal from open play.... against a "minnow" team... it wasn't exactly an attacking masterclass...
I'm not suggesting it was the world's greatest performance, but the commentary yesterday barely got above a normal conversational tone. It's hardly a requirement for a goal/play to be world-class for a commentator to engage the audience with emotion.

Off the top of my head, Diego Costa scored a lucky deflection vs Iran and Cristiano Ronaldo scored a header from a set piece vs Morocco (neither Iran or Morocco being footballing powerhouses), and on both occasions the commentators showed far more emotion than last night.
SubLime Green
Ruben Wiki

Post by SubLime Green »

On another note, the English seem to be hoping to finish second in their group so that they avoid Germany/Brazil in the Quarter Finals. Finishing second would mean they play either Japan/Senegal in the R16 and Mexico/Switzerland (as it stands) in the Quarter Final.

I would love for them to get their wish and then crash out to Senegal/Japan. :lol:
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

SubLime Green wrote:On another note, the English seem to be hoping to finish second in their group so that they avoid Germany/Brazil in the Quarter Finals. Finishing second would mean they play either Japan/Senegal in the R16 and Mexico/Switzerland (as it stands) in the Quarter Final.

I would love for them to get their wish and then crash out to Senegal/Japan. Image
I think the poms have been burned so often by their football team, particularly in the last 20 years. A lot of that is the crazy pressure the press usually puts on them.

I think all the british commentators are reluctant to get over excited based on past experience

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

overall the VAR os ****.

What's the point of it if the referee can still deny a request from the VAR team that his decision should be reviewed?
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

Schifty wrote: June 26, 2018, 9:14 am overall the VAR os ****.

What's the point of it if the referee can still deny a request from the VAR team that his decision should be reviewed?
I'm not a fan of any VAR, DRS, Bunker etc. Should be down to what the ref sees on the field. All video reviews do is decrease the quality if refereeing as they know they have a fall back. Look at whats happened to touchies in league? Do they actually do anything anymore?

And the linesman in the world cup have been told to keep their flag down if its a close call and let VAR handle it...
SubLime Green
Ruben Wiki

Post by SubLime Green »

Yeah, the VAR has just been frustrating to deal with so far. I thought the second Saudi penalty was ridiculous to be honest. I still don't quite understand how it was given after watching other players get rugby tackled to the ground throughout the tournament. There was about as much contact as Neymar's disallowed penalty and the Saudi player had a clear hold of the Egyptian's shirt.

There seems to be some unanswered questions with the process as well, particularly given there aren't natural stoppages in play immediately after a non-call. What happens if play continues and someone commits a red/yellow card offence? Does the card stand if play is brought back for the penalty? If it's violent conduct, it's cut and dry; but what about professional fouling?

That's not even starting on the long delays in the game or the incessant demands of players and coaches to check the VAR every 5 minutes .
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Considering all of our goals have come as a result of VARs, I welcome our new overlords

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

All over for Australia. I guess there will always be the question over how the side would have played if the coach, Ange Postecoglou, that got them to the World Cup had decided to stay the course with his team. It's a bit like an NRL coach getting a side to the top 8, then deciding to quit. By the time the next World Cup rolls around Australia will have to find replacements for Cahill, Milligan, Jedinak etc. Hopefully we can develop a player/s who will be more effective in front of goal than the likes of Juric/Kruse/Irvine etc.

I kept switching between the Australia v Peru match (on SBS) and France V Denmark (on Viceland). I think it would be fair to say that in the second match both sides had decided to 'save their legs'.

Well done to the current players for making it to the 2018 World Cup. Well done to SBS for their coverage.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Germany gone.. that's huge
SubLime Green
Ruben Wiki

Post by SubLime Green »

I'm intrigued to see how the England v Belgium game plays out. Win and you get put in the half with France, Brasil, Argentina, Uruguay, Portugal, Mexico. Lose and you are with Spain, Russia, Denmark, Croatia, Sweden, Switzerland.

I know some of the big teams haven't fired to far, but there isn't much question that the teams in that first group are much more dangerous if they start to click...
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

My Dad's side of the family is English so i've grown up supporting them in all the tournaments so i'm used to the expectations and the failures.

The England vs Belgium game this morning was farcical. It was a blight on football that 2 sides made that many changes and then actively tried to lose the match. I'm not even sure it's a solid tactic at this tournament anyhow, none of the big names have stood out at all so I don't know why a team like England would try to avoid a Quarter final against Brazil when the Round of 16 game against Columbia is probably going to be just as difficult. The danger in doing what England are doing here is they're not following the old cliche of taking it each game at a time and you do that against a side like Columbia at your peril.

England haven't played anyone decent so far but I think their squad and system looks far more balanced than it has in a long time. England should be going for it at this tournament, not because they're an elite side, just because I think they're good enough to mix it with the best that this tournament has had to offer so far, no teams are really standing up as a clear favourite and England in their own right should be just playing each game as it comes to win, they'll have to meet a 'big name' sooner rather than later anyhow.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Nothing since?

Croatia Vs England

Za dom!!!!
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Me and me Mum and me Dad and me Gran
We're off to Waterloo
Me and me Mum and me Dad and me Gran
And a bucket of Vindaloo!

I haven't been this nervous about a semi since I watched Brokeback mountain. C'mon England :D
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I dunno if I want England to get beat in the semi, or let them get all excited and crumble in the final
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Well done Croatia. Small nation with a lot of heart in their football team, beats England to make it through to the final of the World Cup. You little ripper. :)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Croatia you beauty
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Deadspin headline:

England are coming home, not bringing football with them

:lol:
Money

**** England forever and always and also a little cheeky minor **** you to any australian's with some vague 2nd,3rd or 4th generation connection to the motherland and was cheering them on. Shame on the lot of you traitorous bastards.
I am REVELLING in english misery today.
Last edited by Botman on July 12, 2018, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.