Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by BJ »

I think Sezer offers more stability than Austin. But we need to be in the market for a top quality half over the next two seasons.

I doubt his contract would have broken the bank, but it will be more likely $7-750k than the $500k that some have mooted.

If the higher amount is still the case we may have the option to pay St George money for a Hunt style opportunity. Especially without retaining our two props on big deals.
Sezer's Palace
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by Sezer's Palace »

I don't think it would be $750k, the original word was that we wanted him to take a pay cut.

With the cap inflating since he signed in 2015, I'd say it would be somewhere in the ballpark of $500-600k.
Instagram: @sezerspalace
Twitter: @jackkcronin
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Very good post Mr Arrow. Well measured and shines a light on the cold hard truth of our situation. Sezer is a long way off an elite NRL half but he’s still the best we currently have and at least on par any off contract alternatives.

The situation for available quality halves is quite dire at the moment. Also consider guys like Cronk and Thurston are close to hanging up the boots which creates even more demand for talent in the role.

I think we’re pretty screwed for options right now and our only real hope is to pick up Corey Norman the hope he finally switches on attitude wise.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

Great post. All fair points. We just crave consistency.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I've said it a 1000 times, but I believe Sezer is the more serviceable of our 2 starting halves. I have always believed this team needs ball distributers in the halves, esp with the money we have spent on the edges.

As for his pay packet, the figure floated around when he signed from Titans was 500K. Which we all thought was a bargain. TBH, if the figure was still that, we are even better off. If its now 600K, we are still probably ahead with cap raising etc.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Zip Zip wrote: June 15, 2018, 1:01 pm Great post. All fair points. We just crave consistency.
I think he is consistent, just consistently poor. He has had maybe 4 or 5 good games since he joined.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

The more I think about it the more we have to give Beock Lamb a shot.

Sign him on a two year deal. We really don’t have any other options and nothing is really becoming available at the end of next year.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Why wouldn't we look to England for possible halves options? As others have said the pickings are slim in Australia and with Cronk and JT about to retire the competition will be hot. Now is the time to get into the England market. We have an England representative in EW who will see first hand in the Test against the Kiwi's, the possibilities.

I wonder why the Club won't shut the door on Austin. I believe in the adage 'No means No'. He has said No twice. Move on.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

RedRaider wrote: June 15, 2018, 3:11 pm Why wouldn't we look to England for possible halves options? As others have said the pickings are slim in Australia and with Cronk and JT about to retire the competition will be hot. Now is the time to get into the England market. We have an England representative in EW who will see first hand in the Test against the Kiwi's, the possibilities.

I wonder why the Club won't shut the door on Austin. I believe in the adage 'No means No'. He has said No twice. Move on.
England might be our only alternative. The biggest concern is the number of sub standard NRL halves who have gone over there and become superstars. Makes you think it’s no different to recruiting halves from state leagues.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

RTW wrote:The more I think about it the more we have to give Beock Lamb a shot.

Sign him on a two year deal. We really don’t have any other options and nothing is really becoming available at the end of next year.
Brock Lamb is pretty average and not likely to become a top line half. He hasn’t exactly shined at Newcastle.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BJ wrote: June 15, 2018, 12:32 pm I think Sezer offers more stability than Austin. But we need to be in the market for a top quality half over the next two seasons.

I doubt his contract would have broken the bank, but it will be more likely $7-750k than the $500k that some have mooted.

If the higher amount is still the case we may have the option to pay St George money for a Hunt style opportunity. Especially without retaining our two props on big deals.
I agree. With the mess we're in it's pretty clear we pay 15-30% over market value.

Strange to give our cap management the benefit of the doubt.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

its interesting to note the money side of it hasnt been leaked... usually that stuff is leaked by managers as advertisement for the deals they've gotten, to help attract other clients
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Pigman wrote:its interesting to note the money side of it hasnt been leaked... usually that stuff is leaked by managers as advertisement for the deals they've gotten, to help attract other clients

I’m with you on that one Pigman. Managers often spruik these high claims for various reasons.

Then some journalists love to increase the players wage if their from Raiders or Titans or reduce the players wage if their from Broncos or Storm.

The Milford playing for $450k at the Broncos for half of what the Raiders offered took the cake for me.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

That was around about the same time as the missing 300k wasn’t it🤔🤔🤔
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

I’d like to see a few games with sezer and Hingano in the halves.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

BJ wrote:
Pigman wrote:its interesting to note the money side of it hasnt been leaked... usually that stuff is leaked by managers as advertisement for the deals they've gotten, to help attract other clients

I’m with you on that one Pigman. Managers often spruik these high claims for various reasons.

Then some journalists love to increase the players wage if their from Raiders or Titans or reduce the players wage if their from Broncos or Storm.

The Milford playing for $450k at the Broncos for half of what the Raiders offered took the cake for me.
In regards to that Milford example isn’t funny now how they all acknowledge that Milf is in fact getting paid $1m and deemed overs based on current form.

Outside of 2015 you would probably have to agree. As a side note I still think he would be a better FB.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raidernation wrote:I’d like to see a few games with sezer and Hingano in the halves.
Why do it to yourself mate?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

yeh raiders wrote:I have the same feelings as I did when we re-signed Josh McCrone.

Even then when some sat back and said “oh it’s on depth coin”, it would further annoy me. We shouldn’t have players like that on our roster, available to be picked in key positions. The fact is neither Sezer or McCrone are/were deserving of playing first grade for us from a certain point in time moving forward. And that’s exactly what the club has to do with players like that ...move forward without them.

This is very disappointing.
That’s why the Roosters, Bronco’s and Storm are successful teams. They don’t hesitate to let players go that are not performing or don’t fit what they need

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Damoni wrote:
BJ wrote:

In regards to that Milford example isn’t funny now how they all acknowledge that Milf is in fact getting paid $1m and deemed overs based on current form.

Outside of 2015 you would probably have to agree. As a side note I still think he would be a better FB.
He was good in 2015, I still think his absolute best was for us at fullback!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: June 15, 2018, 3:17 pm
RedRaider wrote: June 15, 2018, 3:11 pm Why wouldn't we look to England for possible halves options? As others have said the pickings are slim in Australia and with Cronk and JT about to retire the competition will be hot. Now is the time to get into the England market. We have an England representative in EW who will see first hand in the Test against the Kiwi's, the possibilities.

England might be our only alternative. The biggest concern is the number of sub standard NRL halves who have gone over there and become superstars. Makes you think it’s no different to recruiting halves from state leagues.
I take your point NR, but we have been generally successful with our England recruits (2 out of 3's not bad). We cannot stay with the halves we have. Sezer is reported to have agreed to terms. We have Sam Williams and O'Hagan as a development player, but we are still one short in the halves positions for 2019 imo. I am unaware of the contract situation with the likes of Luke Gale, Danny Richardson or Matt Smith. But I think any would be an upgrade on Austin.

Mr Posh or others from England who frequent this site - your opinion on these three players would be most welcome.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Gday all, how is everyone ?

I'm fine.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:Gday all, how is everyone ?

I'm fine.
Genkimasu! Arigato!

Nope.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raidernation wrote: June 16, 2018, 10:29 am I’d like to see a few games with sezer and Hingano in the halves.
Why?
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:
Raidernation wrote: June 16, 2018, 10:29 am I’d like to see a few games with sezer and Hingano in the halves.
Why?
Hey, lots of people watched Grease 2. It takes all types.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

RedRaider wrote: June 16, 2018, 1:39 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 15, 2018, 3:17 pm

I take your point NR, but we have been generally successful with our England recruits (2 out of 3's not bad). We cannot stay with the halves we have. Sezer is reported to have agreed to terms. We have Sam Williams and O'Hagan as a development player, but we are still one short in the halves positions for 2019 imo. I am unaware of the contract situation with the likes of Luke Gale, Danny Richardson or Matt Smith. But I think any would be an upgrade on Austin.

Mr Posh or others from England who frequent this site - your opinion on these three players would be most welcome.
Throw Hingano in the halves at Mounties and maybe we could develop...... sorry guys, sorry
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: June 16, 2018, 2:04 pm

I'm fine.
Genkimasu! Arigato!
I agree.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote: June 16, 2018, 2:28 pm

I'm fine.
Genkimasu! Arigato!
I agree.
私は黒猫を持っています
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: June 16, 2018, 2:50 pm

I'm fine.
Genkimasu! Arigato!
I agree.
私は黒猫を持っています
I understand.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote: June 16, 2018, 2:53 pm
reptar wrote: June 16, 2018, 2:50 pm

I'm fine.
Genkimasu! Arigato!
I agree.
私は黒猫を持っています
I understand.
I'm glad you do! And Frank will be especially pleased.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

reptar wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Why?
Hey, lots of people watched Grease 2. It takes all types.
I love Grease 2.

That movie alone is responsible for my Michelle Pfieffer obsession.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm good with this extension. Austin has to go however.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Of the two halves we currently have - one is capable of breaking a game open and threatening the defensive line.

The other one we just signed for 2 years and I simply don't understand it.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The one capable of breaking a game open and threatening the defensive line has spent almost NO time threatening opposition defensive lines and ALL his **** time demoralising our defensive line in the past 18 months. He's cost us WAAAAY more tries than he's created or scored.

So enough.

Let's all stop pretending either of these guys are worth planting a flag in the ground for.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Pigman wrote: June 16, 2018, 10:34 pm Let's all stop pretending either of these guys are worth planting a flag in the ground for.
Excuse me? Only one of these guys gives afhsgsndb more discomfort than hemorrhoids and for that reason alone he earns my flag.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Archer wrote: June 17, 2018, 3:35 am
Pigman wrote: June 16, 2018, 10:34 pm Let's all stop pretending either of these guys are worth planting a flag in the ground for.
Excuse me? Only one of these guys gives afhsgsndb more discomfort than hemorrhoids and for that reason alone he earns my flag.
+1