2018 Test England V New Zealand Kiwis: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Elliott Whitehead selected for England’s Denver Test

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2018, 9:19 pm The aim is is to build the domestic competition in the USA and Canada. The Toronto Wolfpack... the teams that organisation wants to promote on the east coast of the USA. Have you missed all that?
It's a valid point GE and again raises the question of why the match is being played in Denver and not Toronto or USA East Coast location.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

RedRaider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2018, 9:19 pm The aim is is to build the domestic competition in the USA and Canada. The Toronto Wolfpack... the teams that organisation wants to promote on the east coast of the USA. Have you missed all that?
It's a valid point GE and again raises the question of why the match is being played in Denver and not Toronto or USA East Coast location.
True.. why is the test being played in Denver specifically?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Because that will be a World Cup venue, no doubt.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

-PJ- wrote: June 12, 2018, 4:43 pm Ok..

So when exactly is kick off for me on Australia's east coast ?

LIVE..give it to me straight.
6am, I think.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

Green_Hammock wrote: June 12, 2018, 9:50 pm
RedRaider wrote:
True.. why is the test being played in Denver specifically?

I think the Eastern Seaboard would have given New Zealand just too far to fly and the West Coast would have meant no TV audience in the UK (where I'm guessing most viewers would be).

So they picked somewhere in the middle. Probably choosing whichever city gave the best guarantees.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

gangrenous wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
gangrenous wrote: June 12, 2018, 8:13 pm
RedRaider wrote:I don't have an issue with taking Rugby League/International matches to the USA, I mean we have done it with Origin.
And look at all the new fans and revenue we gathered! We should definitely do that again...
Zero follow up. This is a strategy to build to the North American World Cup. It’s a dreadful shame the NRL clubs are so inwardly focussed that they don’t do things that are in the interests of the code. This happens over and over... and that is why the clubs shouldn’t control the ARLC.
What’s the grand strategy? Is it one game followed up by a World Cup on a continent where no one gives a **** about it?

Who is the mastermind behind this strategy? Is he already in charge of planning the Raiders’ game closing strategies?
This test is locked in for 3 years.

The owner of the Toronto Wolfpack wants to put another Canadian team in the European League in the next few years and establish a professional comp in Canada in the next 10 years.

The is another group trying to get a team set up in New York similar to the Wolfpack in the lower divisions of the European league with an eye toward a Super League license.

All this along with the RLWC in North America is what is going on to try and grow the game there. More than is even going on here in our own competition.

This is why we should get rid of split rounds and the interruption that is origin and get serious about the game. Stop the NRL and ESL for 3 weeks mid year and play origin plus internationals over the break. What what happens in the short to medium term...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Elliott Whitehead selected for England’s Denver Test

Post by gangrenous »

The Toronto McCronepack and additional local teams seems a fair approach, particularly if a random is picking up a large chunk of the tab.

Americans are highly parochial and I think test matches and world cups where they don’t have an iron in the fire, and they don’t know the players from a bar of soap, will do little to grow the game. As has been pointed out, this venue doesn’t have strategic importance anyway!

Why isn’t this test in NZ for 3 years?! Aren’t they trying to get a second team up and running? Surely the Warriors have shed all but the diehards with their performances of the last decades.

Grow the game with the right moves. Don’t do things for the sake of “growing the game” without asking if it’s the right way to do it.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I am not sure how you couldn’t get excited by a genuine rep set up imagine having two rep breaks throughout the year where you get 3 origins, a mini series where each team play each other once - Southern Hemisphere PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa Northern Hemisphere Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France, and a 3 year series between England and France.

Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

100%green wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
gangrenous wrote: June 12, 2018, 8:13 pm
RedRaider wrote:I don't have an issue with taking Rugby League/International matches to the USA, I mean we have done it with Origin.
And look at all the new fans and revenue we gathered! We should definitely do that again...
Zero follow up. This is a strategy to build to the North American World Cup. It’s a dreadful shame the NRL clubs are so inwardly focussed that they don’t do things that are in the interests of the code. This happens over and over... and that is why the clubs shouldn’t control the ARLC.
What’s the grand strategy? Is it one game followed up by a World Cup on a continent where no one gives a **** about it?

Who is the mastermind behind this strategy? Is he already in charge of planning the Raiders’ game closing strategies?

The owner of the Toronto Wolfpack wants to put another Canadian team in the European League in the next few years and establish a professional comp in Canada in the next 10 years.

The is another group trying to get a team set up in New York similar to the Wolfpack in the lower divisions of the European league with an eye toward a Super League license.

All this along with the RLWC in North America is what is going on to try and grow the game there. More than is even going on here in our own competition.

This is why we should get rid of split rounds and the interruption that is origin and get serious about the game. Stop the NRL and ESL for 3 weeks mid year and play origin plus internationals over the break. What what happens in the short to medium term...

Yes I love the idea of 3 weeks off from NRL to have Origin and internationals. It raises the importance of these tests when players like Fifita have to choose who Thierry wasn't to represent. Origin-impacted NRL footy is terrible anyway, I didn't watch any games in the round before Origin 1. We will see how it works in Origin 2 but I think it's the right way to go.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RTW wrote:I am not sure how you couldn’t get excited by a genuine rep set up imagine having two rep breaks throughout the year where you get 3 origins, a mini series where each team play each other once - Southern Hemisphere PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa Northern Hemisphere Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France, and a 3 year series between England and France.
It’s easy, I don’t care who wins.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Green_Hammock wrote:
100%green wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
gangrenous wrote: June 12, 2018, 8:13 pm And look at all the new fans and revenue we gathered! We should definitely do that again...

Yes I love the idea of 3 weeks off from NRL to have Origin and internationals. It raises the importance of these tests when players like Fifita have to choose who Thierry wasn't to represent. Origin-impacted NRL footy is terrible anyway, I didn't watch any games in the round before Origin 1. We will see how it works in Origin 2 but I think it's the right way to go.

Exactly right. It also dilutes the product. Origin takes over practically all the media, you take out players from the best teams for the games before and sometimes after Origin games, there are split rounds the list goes on. It's terrible!!!

Stop the comps for 3 weeks. Origin can have the spotlight. England and New Zealand can play the first game in the US then alternate who hosts the remaining two games each year. There can be Pacific and European cups. The list goes on. Players that play in the NRL that can qualify for Origin would probably not try to play for QLD or NSW then if they knew each year the chance to play for Tonga, Samoa etc is there. Not to mention more possible players might switch from Union in these regions with these sort of games getting more exposure.

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

100%green wrote: June 12, 2018, 6:00 pm
Hazza wrote:Personally I'd be happy for there never be a game of international Rugby League again. I get others are fans of it and that's cool. Their prerogative. But I couldn't give 2 **** about growing the game all I care about is the raiders. I couldn't care less what anyone says, bag me all you want. I agree with Gangrenous, this game is a deadset joke. Does anyone honestly think Rugby League will ever take off in the US? Our season is already **** thanks to Hodgo's injury in the World Cup.
Say goodbye to half the team you care so much about then mate. England, New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa to name a few of the nations in our squad. They don't play origin but play for their nations and come to us better for it. How do you think Havilli got on our radar after Hodgo got injured?

Funny way to support a club you care so much about!

It's not about the game TAKING off in the US. It's about getting a presence there, getting even 1% of the US involved in our game would be huge. If you don't think that's worth a try please do the game a favor and stop following it now!!!

Righto big fella. Mate you're deadset kidding yourself if you think even 1% of the US will ever be interested in Rugby League. Rugby League will never be a world game. Ever. 'Their nation' is also putting it loosely. The majority of these blokes playing for the pacific nations were born and grew up in Australia or NZ but have a great great grandfather's uncles half brother from said country. It's manufactured BS. Blokes playing for 1 country 1 year and another the next. It's comical. Blokes playing for Italy in the World Cup that had never set foot in the country. Please.

I can see what they're trying to do and why they do it. But I don't care. You're a fan of international Rugby League. Good on you. It does nothing for me. And playing a Rugby League test in the US in the middle of an NRL season is absolutely ridiculous.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Hazza wrote: June 13, 2018, 9:41 am
100%green wrote: June 12, 2018, 6:00 pm
Hazza wrote:Personally I'd be happy for there never be a game of international Rugby League again. I get others are fans of it and that's cool. Their prerogative. But I couldn't give 2 **** about growing the game all I care about is the raiders. I couldn't care less what anyone says, bag me all you want. I agree with Gangrenous, this game is a deadset joke. Does anyone honestly think Rugby League will ever take off in the US? Our season is already **** thanks to Hodgo's injury in the World Cup.
Say goodbye to half the team you care so much about then mate. England, New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa to name a few of the nations in our squad. They don't play origin but play for their nations and come to us better for it. How do you think Havilli got on our radar after Hodgo got injured?

Funny way to support a club you care so much about!

It's not about the game TAKING off in the US. It's about getting a presence there, getting even 1% of the US involved in our game would be huge. If you don't think that's worth a try please do the game a favor and stop following it now!!!

Righto big fella. Mate you're deadset kidding yourself if you think even 1% of the US will ever be interested in Rugby League. Rugby League will never be a world game. Ever. 'Their nation' is also putting it loosely. The majority of these blokes playing for the pacific nations were born and grew up in Australia or NZ but have a great great grandfather's uncles half brother from said country. It's manufactured BS. Blokes playing for 1 country 1 year and another the next. It's comical. Blokes playing for Italy in the World Cup that had never set foot in the country. Please.

I can see what they're trying to do and why they do it. But I don't care. You're a fan of international Rugby League. Good on you. It does nothing for me. And playing a Rugby League test in the US in the middle of an NRL season is absolutely ridiculous.
Yeah your're right champ. You have made me see the light. We should just stop and focus on NSW and QLD. I mean we've got it pretty good here right? No need to try and grow or expand. We have no real threats to the fans who pay money to keep the game going do we? So really why bother?

As i have said multiple times the NRL should stop for 3 weeks for Origin and games like this. Works in everyone's favor to be honest.

End of the day if you and others don't care about any of this, great. Your choice and you are entitled to it. No idea why you guys are posting in a thread you have no interest in. There are fans that do care and those in the game trying hard to further it's growth. I am not saying we will be a "World Game" or that the game will take the US by storm. But steps have to be taken. You only need to look where Rugby has come from since the 80's and what their work has gotten them. League has a long way to go and players playing based on family heritage is where it has to start. I am happy to see the nations that have played for us over the years and would like to see that grow. Only one way to do it. Bring on more test matches like this one i say!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

No steps don’t “have to be taken” if they’re not the right steps. What makes this the right step for Rugby League?!

I’m not sure Rugby is a great example to hang your hat on at the moment...

Why am I posting in a thread I have no interest in? It’s about a player in a team I support flying halfway around the world to play in front of some expats and people who will largely forget about it straight afterwards. I also am entitled to share my opinion on the merits of such a strategy.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2018, 10:18 pm Because that will be a World Cup venue, no doubt.
Other than general information on the 2025 Rugby League World Cup I can't find anything on definite venues. Even the ones suggested don't include Denver. As far as I can see Denver is not in the USA 'first division' Rugby League competition. Is there a Denver local with a lot of money under writing the NZ v England Test?

I appreciate what Mr Posh has said about TV scheduling in England, but has there ever been a logical explanation for the selection of Denver as the venue for this match? Eg I doubt the Kiwi's would have knocked back a Florida venue.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

gangrenous wrote: June 13, 2018, 12:49 pm No steps don’t “have to be taken” if they’re not the right steps. What makes this the right step for Rugby League?!

I’m not sure Rugby is a great example to hang your hat on at the moment...

Why am I posting in a thread I have no interest in? It’s about a player in a team I support flying halfway around the world to play in front of some expats and people who will largely forget about it straight afterwards. I also am entitled to share my opinion on the merits of such a strategy.
The RLIF has awarded the 2025 WC to Moore Sports International. They believe they can make this work and this test is building toward that. Will this work who knows? What makes this the wrong step? If it can do anything good for the game then it is worth a shot.

Rugby is pretty strong in a lot of other countries excluding Australia. They are still growing the game internationally more than League is.

Yeah you are entitled to it. And if the player you support has come out and said he wants to play in this then continue to support that player in this. The Pommy players don't get to play in Origin. This is their rep game. Who are the fans to want that taken away from them simply cause we follow the club they play for. We are all happy if Cotric gets to play for the Blues, why not these guys?
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

RedRaider wrote: June 13, 2018, 1:00 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2018, 10:18 pm Because that will be a World Cup venue, no doubt.
Other than general information on the 2025 Rugby League World Cup I can't find anything on definite venues. Even the ones suggested don't include Denver. As far as I can see Denver is not in the USA 'first division' Rugby League competition. Is there a Denver local with a lot of money under writing the NZ v England Test?

I appreciate what Mr Posh has said about TV scheduling in England, but has there ever been a logical explanation for the selection of Denver as the venue for this match? Eg I doubt the Kiwi's would have knocked back a Florida venue.
I tried to find an article but couldn't. I am sure they have a reason why just not sure what it is. I would have thought Florida or Philly to be honest.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

MrPosh wrote: June 12, 2018, 11:31 pm

6am, I think.
So..6am Sunday 24th June ?

LIVE into my lounge room right ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

-PJ- wrote: June 13, 2018, 3:48 pm

6am, I think.

It's 9pm (ish) over here in the UK and my phone tells me that's 6am for you guys.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Florida being a dump and similar weather to Darwin are possible reasons not to play there. The Dolphins rarely sell out their stadium because it's a holiday town and the weather means people would rather be doing stuff; beach, golf and doing stupid things with alligators. Half a dozen Poms would have heatstroke.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

MrPosh wrote: June 13, 2018, 5:36 pm

6am, I think.

It's 9pm (ish) over here in the UK and my phone tells me that's 6am for you guys.
Thanks Posh, now we need a broadcaster here in Oz to show it...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

100%green wrote: The RLIF has awarded the 2025 WC to Moore Sports International. They believe they can make this work and this test is building toward that. Will this work who knows? What makes this the wrong step? If it can do anything good for the game then it is worth a shot.

Rugby is pretty strong in a lot of other countries excluding Australia. They are still growing the game internationally more than League is.

Yeah you are entitled to it. And if the player you support has come out and said he wants to play in this then continue to support that player in this. The Pommy players don't get to play in Origin. This is their rep game. Who are the fans to want that taken away from them simply cause we follow the club they play for. We are all happy if Cotric gets to play for the Blues, why not these guys?
- You still don’t get that just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should. Similarly, something conveying an advantage is not necessarily the most advantage that can be obtained with that effort. You have not be able to convince me that the US is either worth the effort, nor the best use of that effort. No shame on you, I doubt it’s possible.

- How’s Rugby being pretty strong elsewhere helping your Australian Rugby fan these days?

- I didn’t say that Whitehead shouldn’t be released for an international, I said this was a Mickey Mouse game and I think it’s fairly obvious that the location is the major factor in that. Playing in NZ would be more understandable. Although to be honest I’d probably still be annoyed if we had a season left to disrupt.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gergreg wrote: June 13, 2018, 6:08 pm Florida being a dump and similar weather to Darwin are possible reasons not to play there. The Dolphins rarely sell out their stadium because it's a holiday town and the weather means people would rather be doing stuff; beach, golf and doing stupid things with alligators. Half a dozen Poms would have heatstroke.
Rugby League is played in Townsville early in the season, which is in the tropics. No part of Florida is in the Tropics.

I can't find any official explanation of 'why Denver'.
Last edited by RedRaider on June 13, 2018, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

MrPosh wrote: June 13, 2018, 5:36 pm

6am, I think.

Mr Posh, are you David Beckham?
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

gangrenous wrote:
100%green wrote: The RLIF has awarded the 2025 WC to Moore Sports International. They believe they can make this work and this test is building toward that. Will this work who knows? What makes this the wrong step? If it can do anything good for the game then it is worth a shot.

- You still don’t get that just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should. Similarly, something conveying an advantage is not necessarily the most advantage that can be obtained with that effort. You have not be able to convince me that the US is either worth the effort, nor the best use of that effort. No shame on you, I doubt it’s possible.

- How’s Rugby being pretty strong elsewhere helping your Australian Rugby fan these days?

- I didn’t say that Whitehead shouldn’t be released for an international, I said this was a Mickey Mouse game and I think it’s fairly obvious that the location is the major factor in that. Playing in NZ would be more understandable. Although to be honest I’d probably still be annoyed if we had a season left to disrupt.
I understand more than you think. You seem to be arrogant enough to think you know how the game should be run or grown. Maybe you should put some ideas out there that show the people in charge how it's done? I wasn't trying to convince you. You've done nothing to score me why attempting anything in the US is a bad idea. I knew from the first post you are set in your ways. So no shame here mate. It's a shame for you.

Rugby around the world has nothing to do with the ARU. The rest of the world seems to be able to get the game heading in the right direction. The muppets here are the only ones to blame for its predicament.

Your entire reply, especially the last sentence tells me where your at. Like a lot of fans in the NRL you are focused on your team and nothing else matters. There is no big picture or anything outside the Raiders for you and that's fine. We've both had our opinions and that's where it is. No point going round in circles.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I did put my idea out. It was play the game in New Zelaland and work to a second kiwi team.

Makes a lot more sense than pissing around playing a game between two teams no one cares about, in a location irrelevant to the current expansion efforts, in a market that is notoriously parochial and dominated by their own sports.

Yep, I’m focussed on the Raiders. If you’re going to do things to my team’s detriment, then they could at least look sensible growth measures at face value.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Gangers, once upon a time someone expanded the game to Australia, New Zealand, PNG, etc.

There is a chance NRL could work in Canada and the USA. Without vision it will never work

Already the wolfpack draw crowds over 8000 people. That's a fair effort. They've created interest and excitement.

It's working thus far, and doesn't look like stopping.

Expanding our game into the world's largest sports market is something we must try.

Soccer is still pretty big over there despite not having the same level of support as NFL, NBA AND MLB.

Soccer never will, but they're on with that. League can be the same. A viable alternative for people who miss out on NFL in particular.

I'm not sure why you are so against it. You don't have to be in love with the idea either, no one saying that.

If this was a one off I'd be asking ' why'.
But in light of the RLWC going there, the wolfpack growing and the proposed New York team, proposed first round nrl there next year, I am all on favour of taking the game over there and giving it our best shot.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I agree with you on the yanks being incredibly parochial and insular when it comes to sport. I remember showing one of my doormen a short clip of Origin and he did the usual "wow. These guys are crazy. Are they wearing pads'. But he handed my phone back to me before the clip was finished, clearly not totally interested. He loved chewing the fat with me on sports but it was always NFL or NBA.

I guess so long as rugby league has a decent strategy to ease themselves into the US market it isnt so bad, but if history is anything to go by there is probably no strategic plan whatsoever. With the WC there in a few years it makes sense to start playing some games there, starting with this game and a few NRL games in the next few years.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Well - Canada and the USA have just been awarded the FIFA WC for 2026 so league has its work cut out now.

I agree with Gangrenous re the location of this match - rugby league doesn’t have the money/image to make an indent on the American Sports fans/kids interests that is going to make meaningful change to the state of the game long term in the USA

People saying that Wolfpack are getting like 8000 people turn up to a game - that’s the equivalent of about a crowd of 10 Aussies turning up to an exhibition curling match in Canberra - hardly going to sustain the international sport for generations to come.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

scotchberry wrote: June 14, 2018, 10:56 amPeople saying that Wolfpack are getting like 8000 people turn up to a game - that’s the equivalent of about a crowd of 10 Aussies turning up to an exhibition curling match in Canberra - hardly going to sustain the international sport for generations to come.
I don't get your logic with this comment?

It's better than the attendance at Raiders home games, when you factor in the low profile of the sport.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Yeah that made no sense at all

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

hrundi89 wrote: June 14, 2018, 11:42 am
scotchberry wrote: June 14, 2018, 10:56 amPeople saying that Wolfpack are getting like 8000 people turn up to a game - that’s the equivalent of about a crowd of 10 Aussies turning up to an exhibition curling match in Canberra - hardly going to sustain the international sport for generations to come.
I don't get your logic with this comment?

It's better than the attendance at Raiders home games, when you factor in the low profile of the sport.
Having 8,000 people turn up to a game in a country of 320,000,000 isn’t exactly making an indent into the market that is American Sports and is insufficient enough to make an impact on the state of the game for the rest of the world.

8,000 people turning up for Toronto has zero impact on the world game, likewise the curling reference in Australia.

If the Toronto Wolfpack didn’t exist the state of Rugby a league would be no different, if an NRL club folded with no immediate replacement the game in Australia would suffer big time

I’ve just realised that the Toronto Wolfpack is actually in Canada so that’s my bad though.
Last edited by scotchberry on June 14, 2018, 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Umm there were just over 7,000 people turned up to see the Raiders play top of the table Panthers last weekend.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Personally I think the state of the international game has massive potential at the moment if Rugby League builds on what was started at the WC last year and ensuring these building blocks are reinforced before it starts to head into an almost impossible market such as the America’s.

Interests and the strength of the Paciifc Islands is at an all time high - Rugby League needs to build on this start and make the foundations solid in establishing Junior coaching programs, their own State Cup teams, taking NRL matches to them and ensuring there best players stay playing for them as 1st choice otherwise all the good work from last year will be undone.

I think taking this game to be played in the Islands and having the team interacting with the community as massive profiles in their country would do a lot more for the international game than taking it to Denver - just my opinion.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

gergreg wrote: June 14, 2018, 12:10 pm Umm there were just over 7,000 people turned up to see the Raiders play top of the table Panthers last weekend.
Why the game should be more worried about the state of the game here than what is happening on another continent.

Dwindling NRL crowd numbers, increased costs to attend the game, NRL clubs struggling financially, decreased junior numbers, country/bush teams folding, salary cap issues, and the ever present AFL - the state of the game in Australia is far more important and under threat to the survival of Rugby League than an irrelevant once a week match in Canada .
Last edited by scotchberry on June 14, 2018, 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.