Ricky Stuart coaching

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote: June 12, 2018, 3:29 pm Furner got the chop cause the players requested a meeting with the board to say it was him or them
Imagine the fans requesting a meeting with the board to say it's him or us...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Sack Ricky

Post by gangrenous »

Perhaps Furner would shove it right in our faces!

Oh wait... the board... do we think they face shove too?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

mamando wrote: June 12, 2018, 1:31 pm Is it, or is it not, a results business?

Then how does a) Stick get the job in the first place, and b) keep it after years of mediocrity with half a season of decent performance thrown in??

He has shown nothing in the way of innovation or progression in his 4 years here.
It isn't Ricky's lack of innovation or progression that is the problem IMO. It is that his football sides lose because of the basics.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The club was in an absolute shambles when Furner was sacked, players in revolt. Stuart’s record in Canberra has been significantly affected by the debacle left behind and the need to completely rebuild.

That said Ricky Stuart is running out of time after 2017 and 2018. If the Raiders again miss the finals this year... no further excuses will cut it in 2019.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Ricky's results are exactly the same as the tenure before Canberra. The fact they hired one of the worst performing coaches with a history of destroying clubs from the inside thinking he would fix the issue to begin with was pure nepotism and nothing more.

He should never have been hired. He should not still he employed.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2018, 5:28 pm The club was in an absolute shambles when Furner was sacked, players in revolt. Stuart’s record in Canberra has been significantly affected by the debacle left behind and the need to completely rebuild.

That said Ricky Stuart is running out of time after 2017 and 2018. If the Raiders again miss the finals this year... no further excuses will cut it in 2019.
Dont think we can wait until 2019 GE...... Something needs to happen as soon as we are Mathematically unable to make finals
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2018, 5:28 pm The club was in an absolute shambles when Furner was sacked, players in revolt. Stuart’s record in Canberra has been significantly affected by the debacle left behind and the need to completely rebuild.

I think it depends on how he addresses the obvious shortfalls in our squad. If we go into next season with Austin and Sezer as our first choice halves we should expect nothing less than what we have seen the last two years.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Surely - surely - 2018 is the no excuses year.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

2017 was. We had the squad. No major injuries. Coming off a massively successful year.

And nothing..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m telling you, it’s not 2018 yet, but there’s already 17 guys hurting in the change room over what 2018 will bring.
They’re already planning how they will build a fortress, empty tanks, drain swamps, do the toughest preseason ever, crouch the Tiger and hide the Dragon

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I’m telling you, it’s not 2018 yet, but there’s already 17 guys hurting in the change room over what 2018 will bring.
They’re already planning how they will build a fortress, empty tanks, drain swamps, do the toughest preseason ever, crouch the Tiger and hide the Dragon

you're losing me Fui, is it not 2018?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

bonehead wrote: June 13, 2018, 7:46 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I’m telling you, it’s not 2018 yet, but there’s already 17 guys hurting in the change room over what 2018 will bring.

you're losing me Fui, is it not 2018?

Hes in denial, leave him be.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Problem is two fold...Who will be left on the coaching market worth getting and why is Ricky the only one to wear the blame???

We've gone from Elliott to Henry to Furner to Stuart...and we went with Elliott over Bellamy!!!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

What's interesting is that I've read many posters say they'd be happy with a GF appearance then years in the doldrums. We were one dropped ball from a GF. What's the difference?

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

100%green wrote:

Problem is two fold...Who will be left on the coaching market worth getting and why is Ricky the only one to wear the blame???

We've gone from Elliott to Henry to Furner to Stuart...and we went with Elliott over Bellamy!!!
McGuire, Hasler, Toovey, Henry, Woolford.

I'd take a punt on most of those guys

Edrick The Entertainer
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

dubby wrote: June 13, 2018, 2:19 pm What's interesting is that I've read many posters say they'd be happy with a GF appearance then years in the doldrums. We were one dropped ball from a GF. What's the difference?

Last year maybe, and although yes Hodgo's injury has been an issue this year 2016 to now are vastly different. We really haven't looked like the same team in so many ways. Don't get me wrong I do like Ricky and I applaud the club for the hard work they have done to get the club back to where it is today. But how much longer can that continue before something has to change?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

100%green wrote: June 13, 2018, 1:49 pm ...and we went with Elliott over Bellamy!!!
I think we all need to stop and reflect on that regularly.

We
Went
For
Elliot
Over
Bellamy

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: June 13, 2018, 2:25 pm Problem is two fold...Who will be left on the coaching market worth getting and why is Ricky the only one to wear the blame???

Hopefully those last two were included to make up the numbers Boney. Been there done that with fork tongue Henry. He went to NQ who waited until he left before they won a comp. Then he was moved on from the Titans. Pass. Woolford is a perpetually angry man. Another who has won nothing in the NRL.

The other three though have been down the NRL winners road. Three year contract max and contract written so that we get last offer opportunity. Keep Des away from how the players are paid and let him focus on coaching. Same for Maguire and Toovey. Coaching success is the priority.

We all loved Sticky as a player and what he does off field. But which Board member changed his nappies to have given him that contract extension early last year?
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

T_R wrote:
100%green wrote: June 13, 2018, 1:49 pm ...and we went with Elliott over Bellamy!!!

We
Went
For
Elliot
Over
Bellamy
Remember when we passed on Cam Smith.....
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Sack Ricky

Post by Brew »

No excuses for 2018, Not really, half the season without our best player. Can you imagine if Smith was out for half a season with the Storm.

Not my view, just how the club will see the failure of 2018.

In Ricky We Trust
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Brew wrote: June 13, 2018, 4:34 pm No excuses for 2018, Not really, half the season without our best player. Can you imagine if Smith was out for half a season with the Storm.

I'd argue that we haven't lost games because of Hodgson's absence. Many other areas have let us down and Havili has been really good.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Brew wrote: June 13, 2018, 4:34 pm No excuses for 2018, Not really, half the season without our best player. Can you imagine if Smith was out for half a season with the Storm.

If the club's board and CEO excuse this season on Hodgo's absence they are even more incompetent than I had previously expected.

We lose because we persist with players who don't get the basics right. Hodgo will no doubt make a difference but not to the extent where his presence would have dramatically altered results thus far.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I believe Hingano and havili's mistakes have cost us 4 wins so there is a direct issue there.

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:
bonehead wrote: June 13, 2018, 2:25 pm Problem is two fold...Who will be left on the coaching market worth getting and why is Ricky the only one to wear the blame???

Hopefully those last two were included to make up the numbers Boney. Been there done that with fork tongue Henry. He went to NQ who waited until he left before they won a comp. Then he was moved on from the Titans. Pass. Woolford is a perpetually angry man. Another who has won nothing in the NRL.

The other three though have been down the NRL winners road. Three year contract max and contract written so that we get last offer opportunity. Keep Des away from how the players are paid and let him focus on coaching. Same for Maguire and Toovey. Coaching success is the priority.

We all loved Sticky as a player and what he does off field. But which Board member changed his nappies to have given him that contract extension early last year?
Mate I put seriously 5secs thought into that list of who is straight out available.

I think the first 4 could serve a purpose and Woolford is building a reputation, let's see where he is at the end of 2019.

Edrick The Entertainer
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

bonehead wrote: June 13, 2018, 5:58 pm
RedRaider wrote:

Mate I put seriously 5secs thought into that list of who is straight out available.

I think the first 4 could serve a purpose and Woolford is building a reputation, let's see where he is at the end of 2019.

Woolford? didnt even know he coached, last thing the club needs is more jobs for the boys
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He coaches in Super League, after the Blues and then Knights NSW Cup.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

T_R wrote:

We
Went
For
Elliot
Over
Bellamy
I'm not sure I understand this. Is it supposed to be fiction? A haiku?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

reptar wrote:
T_R wrote:

We
Went
For
Elliot
Over
Bellamy
I'm not sure I understand this. Is it supposed to be fiction? A haiku?
Turned out to be a tragic epitaph.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Sack Ricky

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Thurston also yeah?

**Edit** Why isn’t my quote working on the app? I clicked to quote we chose Elliott over Bellamy and turned down Cam Smith
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: June 13, 2018, 5:58 pm
RedRaider wrote:

All good Boney. You could have thrown Jason Taylor into the mix and watched this place explode. :D I hope we have a 'no returns' policy with Dean Pay. Our side needs discipline and I would really like to see Michael Maguire at the Raiders because I think he could instill that.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

big red, that's why I had him first couldn't agree more

Edrick The Entertainer
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

So Cleary was sacked by the Panthers at the end of 2015 a season where we performed poorly as well. So my question is how do I teleport to the parallel universe where the Raiders hired Cleary and are going into this weekends game as back to back defending premiers and sitting in the top 4 whilst the tigers are dead last where their talentless squad belong?
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Bump.

Flogging the toothless tigers shouldn’t take this off the agenda
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The win should almost highlight the issues - for a team of players to spend the first 20 minutes of that match looking like they had just met is exceptionally poor. For Hodgo to come onto the field, and everyone suddenly appears to be first graders again highlights the lack of structure, accountability and tactics.

For the entirety of Stickys reign we have relied solely on momentum and confidence to win games. When we have neither, we are nowhere. There is every possibility that we go on a run to the finals now on the back of the confidence we got in that last game. That doesn't change the fact that we are poorly coached in a technical sense, and rely on brilliance rather than tactics.