Ricky Stuart coaching

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Sticky's refusal to promote Garvey and Williams is quite possibly the most brain dead continued indecision I have ever seen from a Raiders coach. Sezer is hopeless and getting worse every week. Hingano has no idea how to play in our structures or outside of 5/8th.

Both of them should be playing side by side at Mounties and re-learning their trade if they want a future in the NRL because at the moment they aren't worth a fraction of what we are paying either of them.
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

Can someone a bit more in the "know" than me please elaborate on why Garvey's passport is stamped "never to play 1st grade at the Raiders"
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Green eyed Mick wrote: June 9, 2018, 7:58 am Sticky's refusal to promote Garvey and Williams is quite possibly the most brain dead continued indecision I have ever seen from a Raiders coach. Sezer is hopeless and getting worse every week. Hingano has no idea how to play in our structures or outside of 5/8th.

Both of them should be playing side by side at Mounties and re-learning their trade if they want a future in the NRL because at the moment they aren't worth a fraction of what we are paying either of them.
Garvey staying at Mounties while Hingano plays NRL beggars belief.

On the flip side we’ve seen enough of Williams in 1st grade to understand the reluctance to promote him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Hingano needs to be in the halves, either at mounties ir first grade i dont care

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Yap wrote: June 9, 2018, 8:29 am Can someone a bit more in the "know" than me please elaborate on why Garvey's passport is stamped "never to play 1st grade at the Raiders"
Put a kick in training that resulted in a repeat set? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Oh thank you for your wisdom Mr. Stuart!

When these players figure it all out for themselves, Lookout!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Green eyed Mick wrote: June 9, 2018, 7:58 am Sticky's refusal to promote Garvey and Williams is quite possibly the most brain dead continued indecision I have ever seen from a Raiders coach. Sezer is hopeless and getting worse every week. Hingano has no idea how to play in our structures or outside of 5/8th.

Structures? We don't really have any structures (at least any effective structures). There aren't many players in our side that have a really good grasp of rugby league in general or what their particular role in the team is.

I must admit that when Hingano came on I was looking down at the side and thinking, hmmm Hingano and Whitehead on 1 side with Croker and Cotric on the other. I thought it was dangerous but ultimately didn't actually cost us the game IMO.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

gergreg wrote:

Structures? We don't really have any structures (at least any effective structures). There aren't many players in our side that have a really good grasp of rugby league in general or what their particular role in the team is.

I must admit that when Hingano came on I was looking down at the side and thinking, hmmm Hingano and Whitehead on 1 side with Croker and Cotric on the other. I thought it was dangerous but ultimately didn't actually cost us the game IMO.
Papilii is the only one who gasps rugby league and what his role is. That’s the Queenslander culture coming through him

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Actually our out the back play is executed well but it's all we have. I dread to think what we would have looked like without Havili this year because he provides so much spark out of dummy half and really gets the team on a role. That's why relying on Hodgson's return is ridiculous.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I wonder why nobody from the media has a shot at Stuart for his stubbornness and lack of ingenuity. I would love to see someone from fox or 9 apply a little pressure
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:Actually our out the back play is executed well but it's all we have. I dread to think what we would have looked like without Havili this year because he provides so much spark out of dummy half and really gets the team on a role. That's why relying on Hodgson's return is ridiculous.
Perhaps our team make our hookers look better than they are because they can get opponents struggling with half breaks, hooker just needs to look up and see there’s space to run in.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

magoo wrote: June 9, 2018, 10:45 am I wonder why nobody from the media has a shot at Stuart for his stubbornness and lack of ingenuity. I would love to see someone from fox or 9 apply a little pressure
That's actually a good call... We need someone in the media to attack him, everyone is just too busy being the nice guy... Get Andrew Johns drunk and suggest it to him while you're secretly live streaming it should do the trick....

That or an advertising campaign, maybe go with one of the drunk driving ones where someone walks up to them and takes the beer off them saying "I think you've had enough" but instead making it a Raiders fan taking the a "head coach" hat off him (The words "I think you've had enough" still work).
HarliBlu
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by HarliBlu »

There was an article a few days ago with Vaughan saying the best thing he ever did was get out of Canberra, in particular he gave credit to being under new coaching staff that has gotten the most out of him. This to me was a direct EDIT to Stuart, who played him in Mounties at the end of his career at Canberra. A born and bred Canberra product pushed out to go onto find immediate success immediately under a new coach. IMO Vaughan probably should have made his origin debut in place of Woods last year.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Nothing to add to this thread but thought it needed to be bumped to the top!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

magoo wrote:I wonder why nobody from the media has a shot at Stuart for his stubbornness and lack of ingenuity. I would love to see someone from fox or 9 apply a little pressure
Cause he's matey with everyone in the media

Paul Kent is his spokesman, Paul and Steve Crawley are the assistant coaches brothers..
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

HarliBlu wrote:There was an article a few days ago with Vaughan saying the best thing he ever did was get out of Canberra, in particular he gave credit to being under new coaching staff that has gotten the most out of him. This to me was a direct EDIT to Stuart, who played him in Mounties at the end of his career at Canberra. A born and bred Canberra product pushed out to go onto find immediate success immediately under a new coach. IMO Vaughan probably should have made his origin debut in place of Woods last year.
Vaughn needed a change of scenery. This has been discussed over and over again. He's a great player but we didn't get that out of him under Furner or Ricky.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

It's so odd to see how his attitude and decision making has changed the further his tenure has gone on.

First few years he cleaned the joint up completely. He went out to fix so many of our long standing pain points and recruited brilliantly. He showed he was capable of atoning for his own mistakes with the FPN situation.

Yet his stubbornness on certain key issues is just dumbfounding and painful. He has built the shell of a potentially fantastic team, that's just missing a few key components - yet he can't for the life of him put on the finishing touches. If he was replaced with another coach and fresh set of eyes right now, that guy would have something pretty decent to work with - much of which is his doing.

The competition is so close though and the margins are so thin that I have no doubt a better half would've jagged us 2-3 extra wins and have us in the 8. A better captain would help. Bench rotation is less than optimum, and that's being nice. He can't see it though and he'll only keep failing until he can.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

afgtnk wrote:It's so odd to see how his attitude and decision making has changed the further his tenure has gone on.

First few years he cleaned the joint up completely. He went out to fix so many of our long standing pain points and recruited brilliantly. He showed he was capable of atoning for his own mistakes with the FPN situation.

Yet his stubbornness on certain key issues is just dumbfounding and painful. He has built the shell of a potentially fantastic team, that's just missing a few key components - yet he can't for the life of him put on the finishing touches. If he was replaced with another coach and fresh set of eyes right now, that guy would have something pretty decent to work with - much of which is his doing.

The competition is so close though and the margins are so thin that I have no doubt a better half would've jagged us 2-3 extra wins and have us in the 8. A better captain would help. Bench rotation is less than optimum, and that's being nice. He can't see it though and he'll only keep failing until he can.
The use of the bench is atrocious
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That’s one of your best posts ever alphabet.

I’m not even certain we need new halves. Just need to find a way to drill into them game management. Clockwork orange those blokes in front of some great game managers directly followed by their own handiwork in the last 2 years.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

100%green wrote: June 10, 2018, 4:50 pm
HarliBlu wrote:There was an article a few days ago with Vaughan saying the best thing he ever did was get out of Canberra, in particular he gave credit to being under new coaching staff that has gotten the most out of him. This to me was a direct EDIT to Stuart, who played him in Mounties at the end of his career at Canberra. A born and bred Canberra product pushed out to go onto find immediate success immediately under a new coach. IMO Vaughan probably should have made his origin debut in place of Woods last year.
Vaughn needed a change of scenery. This has been discussed over and over again. He's a great player but we didn't get that out of him under Furner or Ricky.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
He was a damn good player for us. Our best between 2013 and 2015.

As for needing a change of scenery, that line seems to get a run as if it makes him leaving somehow not a major stuff up. It's just another example of another good player we have failed to manage properly. It's basically the same story for all of our elite talent in the last 20 years.
HarliBlu
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by HarliBlu »

Last edited by greeneyed on June 10, 2018, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It is a requirement of the site to use the YouTube code
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

HarliBlu wrote:
In summing up, it’s the constitution, it’s Mabo, it’s justice, it’s law, it’s the positive vibe and aah no that’s it, it’s the positive vibe.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Ricky Stuart manual

Storm out to an early lead and **** the bed late
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

David Furner - 2009 to 2013 - Coached 109 Games, Won 47, Lost 62.
Ricky Stuart - 2014+ - Coached 111 Games, Won 51, Lost 59.

Yet somehow we don't have anywhere near the insane calling for blood we did with Furner. Stuart has now had charge of the team for 2 more games than Furner did and has turned that into 4 additional wins....

If a company sacked it's CEO and replaced him with a guy that only managed a 3% improvement in results after recycling basically the entire work force you would sack him in an instant, yet here we are... extending his contract and not even considering it (from a board prospective).

You could also rightfully argue that Furner never had a roster as good as we have had the last couple of years. Yes that is obviously Stuarts doing and a good thing but he doesn't know how to use it so it doesn't mean much.

Where we finished the season:
Furner - 13, 7, 15, 6, 13* (Two Finals appearances, two wins/two losses)
Stuart - 15, 10, 2, 10, 10** (One Finals appearance, one win/two losses)
* Didn't finish the season as coach
** Current season, we could drop further

Maybe we can hope that they got the balls to sack Furner in his fifth year so they may do the same with Stuart?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

magoo wrote:I wonder why nobody from the media has a shot at Stuart for his stubbornness and lack of ingenuity. I would love to see someone from fox or 9 apply a little pressure
Well, the last guy who wrote an Anti-Stick article got slammed by Stick at the following press conference.

Not surprised people don’t take shots. It’s either love him or he gives you nothing
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Unfortunately if we are any chance of moving Stuart on the team will need to come last this year

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Bulldogs, Eels and Cowboys might prevent that.
LastRaider wrote:Unfortunately if we are any chance of moving Stuart on the team will need to come last this year

Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Ultima wrote: June 12, 2018, 12:32 am David Furner - 2009 to 2013 - Coached 109 Games, Won 47, Lost 62.

Yet somehow we don't have anywhere near the insane calling for blood we did with Furner. Stuart has now had charge of the team for 2 more games than Furner did and has turned that into 4 additional wins....

If a company sacked it's CEO and replaced him with a guy that only managed a 3% improvement in results after recycling basically the entire work force you would sack him in an instant, yet here we are... extending his contract and not even considering it (from a board prospective).

You could also rightfully argue that Furner never had a roster as good as we have had the last couple of years. Yes that is obviously Stuarts doing and a good thing but he doesn't know how to use it so it doesn't mean much.

Maybe we can hope that they got the balls to sack Furner in his fifth year so they may do the same with Stuart?
I honestly dont see them sacking ricky until his contract is up in 2020............

How would a CEO get 'sacked' as he is in charge of everything????? Board member vote???

Reading things for a far (in perth) i get the feeling that everyone behind the scenes is all mates with each other so i dont see ricky getting sacked, nor The Don..............
Perth Based Raiders Fan
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

CEO is appointed by the board
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Is it, or is it not, a results business?

Then how does a) Stick get the job in the first place, and b) keep it after years of mediocrity with half a season of decent performance thrown in??

He has shown nothing in the way of innovation or progression in his 4 years here.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Because i bet the club feels like they OWE him.
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Ultima wrote: June 12, 2018, 12:32 am David Furner - 2009 to 2013 - Coached 109 Games, Won 47, Lost 62.

Yep. And Furner had far inferior squads to what Stick has. Yet made the 8 twice and I think i'm right in saying we were either in the 8 or just outside it when he was sacked in '13. But cos Melbourne beat us 68-4 at home he got the chop. Not for a minute saying DF was a great coach but the vitriol directed at him doesn't really stack up when you consider the free ride Stuart gets from some. We ran 6th under Furner with McCrone and Williams in the halves ****.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Hazza wrote: June 12, 2018, 2:33 pm

Yep. And Furner had far inferior squads to what Stick has. Yet made the 8 twice and I think i'm right in saying we were either in the 8 or just outside it when he was sacked in '13. But cos Melbourne beat us 68-4 at home he got the chop. Not for a minute saying DF was a great coach but the vitriol directed at him doesn't really stack up when you consider the free ride Stuart gets from some. We ran 6th under Furner with McCrone and Williams in the halves ****.
Furner was sacked the 20th of August, which I think means just after round 22? So we had just slipped out of the 8 (we were 7th) to 9th when he was sacked. Even then we were 8-0 in Round 20 for home games and 8-1 when he was sacked... Like seriously when was the last time we even won two thirds of our home games?

https://www.nrl.com/ladder/?competition ... 3&round=22

If we were that harsh with Stuart he would have gone six times by now... We haven't even been in the top eight this year once (round 0 when we are up there alphabetically obviously doesn't count).
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Furner got the chop cause the players requested a meeting with the board to say it was him or them
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Sack Ricky

Post by gangrenous »

Joke’s on the players. For the most part the outcome was both.

Of course if the players had strategic forethought then they wouldn’t have lost so many games in the first place...