Post by greeneyed »

2018 Rd 15 V Tigers: Teams and Previews

Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers
Sunday 17 June 4:10pm
Campbelltown Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3

The Raiders again lost a close one in the final stages on Friday night... 23-22 to the Penrith Panthers. The Raiders now travel to Campbelltown in Round 15 to meet the Wests Tigers.

Who do you think should line up for the Green Machine? Tell us your team here and see how you go in comparison to the official squad when announced. We will include the official line ups in the first post of this thread as soon as they're available.

OFFICIAL SQUADS

Canberra Raiders

1 Jack Wighton, 2 Nick Cotric, 3 Jarrod Croker (c), 4 Joseph Leilua, 5 Michael Oldfield, 6 Blake Austin, 7 Aidan Sezer, 8 Iosia Soliola, 9 Josh Hodgson, 10 Shannon Boyd, 11 Joseph Tapine, 12 Elliott Whitehead, 13 Josh Papalii

14 Siliva Havili, 15 Luke Bateman, 16 Dunamis Lui, 17 Liam Knight
18 Emre Guler, 19 Brad Abbey, 20 Jack Murchie, 21 Craig Garvey

Wests Tigers

1 Corey Thompson, 2 Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, 3 Esan Marsters, 4 Mahe Fonua, 5 Kevin Naiqama, 6 Josh Reynolds, 7 Luke Brooks, 8 Russell Packer (c), 9 Matt McIlwrick, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Chris Lawrence, 12 Robbie Rochow, 13 Elijah Taylor

14 Alex Twal, 15 Matthew Eisenhuth, 16 Josh Aloiai, 17 Tim Grant
18 Michael Chee-Kam, 19 Tyson Gamble, 20 Sauaso Sue, 21 Chris McQueen

Officials:

Referees: Grant Atkins, Gavin Badger
Sideline Officials: Phil Henderson, Belinda Sleeman
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Luke Patten

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLTigersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: 2018 Rd 15 V Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by RedRaider »

Jack, Cotric, JC, BJ, Oldfield, Sezer, Williams, Boyd, Havili, Sia, Tapine, EW, Papa - Garvey, Guler, Bateman, Hunt

I expect Gubb to be suspended. Knight needs an offseason doing squats to improve his leg drive. Yeah its a rookie looking bench, but NSW just played 11 rookies in SOO and look how that turned out. Williams back in because we need another tactical kicker in the side and Austin ain't it.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The game is at 4:10pm yeah? (not 7:10pm)
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I expect Gubb to be suspended and Rapana's hamstring to need a couple of weeks recovery. I doubt Stuart would risk bringing Hodgson back early. Leilua didn't look too bad despite failing the HIA.

I cannot believe Stuart would risk bringing in two Mounties players on the right side to cover for injuries.

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua or Whitehead
5. Olfield or Mikaele Ravalawa who scored five tries last week against Knights.
6. Austin
7. Sezer
8. Lui
9. Havilii
10. Soliola
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead or Bateman if Whitehead moves into the centres.
13. Papalii

14. Hingano (because you know he won't be dropped no matter how much fans wish it)
15. Boyd
16. Bateman
17. Knight. Royce Hunt doesn't seem to be flavour of the month anymore.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

If the same team is picked as against the Panthers I probably won’t even watch. So deflated at the moment about the entire team, Sticky’s press conference last night tilted me over the edge. I just hope we see a lot of junior players start to get starts now for the future

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I look forward to being obliterated by a team who can't attack
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I am spending the week working in coping strategies to deal with the inevitable 77th man try assist from Luke Brooks to Chris Lawrence to steal the game. Which will indeed be rock bottom!
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Abbey
6. Austin
7. Sezer
8. Soliola
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Papalii

14. Garvey
15. Boyd
16. Guler
17. Knight
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hahaha, I'm having visions of Benji putting on a masterclass.

Blake usually plays well against the Tigers and Sezer needs a spell at Mounties. I've supported him all year and, not that it matters to him, has made me look like a goose and I definitely and defiantly don't need his assistance with that.

I haven't seen anything on the Rapana injury but I didn't think he looked too good. We might not see him anywhere near his best for the rest of the year. Hope he recovers well. Oldfield is the logical replacement.
Tapine is back next week isn't he? Is there something wrong with Lui injurywise? He was great early in the year but seems to be down on form the last few games.

Ricky needs to do something with Hingano, give him a go in the halves and actually coach the poor kid. Get into his head and get that confidence in him and give him an opportunity to redeem himself. It's then up to Hingano to retain his position in the halves and he has a few games to show us what he has got. It would be nice to see Ricky successfully develop a half into half the player he was.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Gubb facing a week for a grade 2 being a dumbass (dangerously contacting the kicker)
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

-TW- wrote:Gubb facing a week for a grade 2 being a dumbass (dangerously contacting the kicker)
Should of gotten more for that, idiocy.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Is Benji still undefeated against the Raider.
WorkChoice
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

LP Raider wrote: June 9, 2018, 5:19 pm Is Benji still undefeated against the Raider.
He lost once in 2012
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Will Ricky finally play Garvey over Hingano now? Havilli should be playing lock or an edge at most for some periods of a game, particularly in the second half.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hingano has to go. Garvey has to be given a shot. Unless someone can explain to me why he shouldn’t be. Hingano is not a first grade player and he’s taking up cap space for no reason.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Your not expecting him to come straight into the starting line up on the wing?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Hingano has to go. Garvey has to be given a shot. Unless someone can explain to me why he shouldn’t be. Hingano is not a first grade player and he’s taking up cap space for no reason.
You could replace Hingano with about 15 names in that last sentence.

But yes, unless he's given a go in the halves he shouldn't be in the team
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: June 9, 2018, 8:12 pm
greeneyed wrote:Hingano has to go. Garvey has to be given a shot. Unless someone can explain to me why he shouldn’t be. Hingano is not a first grade player and he’s taking up cap space for no reason.

But I don’t think I could find 15 names who regularly get picked in the top 17. He’s regularly the worst player in the top 17 and doesn’t perform at NRL level, week after week.
HarliBlu
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by HarliBlu »

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Austin
7. Sezer
8. Soliola
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Papalli

14. Garvey
15. Boyd
16. Bateman
17. Hunt
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Just give us something we can smile about for gods sake.

I'm fair dinkum numb with this mob.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
always bleed green
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by always bleed green »

Just give us an old fashion tigers beating like the past 2 years. Surely is fans deserve that than the numerous heart breaking losses we have had. I had open heart surgery in 2011 and surely supporting the raiders since 1990 wen I was 5 has contributed to my bad heart. Anyways go get em green machine
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote: June 9, 2018, 8:15 pm

But I don’t think I could find 15 names who regularly get picked in the top 17. He’s regularly the worst player in the top 17 and doesn’t perform at NRL level, week after week.
To be fair on Hingano. He is new to the club and isn't a hooker. If Ricky cared about his personal and professional development he would be playing 5/8th at Mounties. Instead Ricky has him on the bench being used intermittently in roles he hasn't trained for and isn't suited to.

Hingano is a symptom of a much bigger problem with Ricky's coaching. Ricky doesn't accept criticism. He doesn't admit fault and he doesn't change his mind. Ricky made up his mind in the pre-season that Garvey wouldn't be used and come hell or high water, Ricky will be proven right.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Is this high water or hell right now?
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Cotric to centre please. His ability to bust tackles along with his physical build is perfect for a centre.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green eyed Mick wrote: June 10, 2018, 10:10 am

To be fair on Hingano. He is new to the club and isn't a hooker. If Ricky cared about his personal and professional development he would be playing 5/8th at Mounties. Instead Ricky has him on the bench being used intermittently in roles he hasn't trained for and isn't suited to.

Hingano is a symptom of a much bigger problem with Ricky's coaching. Ricky doesn't accept criticism. He doesn't admit fault and he doesn't change his mind. Ricky made up his mind in the pre-season that Garvey wouldn't be used and come hell or high water, Ricky will be proven right.
But Hingano came on the basis he’d get a shot at first grade, and his contract says he can leave at the end of the year if he doesn’t. But I agree he should be playing with Mounties.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Stuart is really starting to rub me the wrong way. There is no shame in being wrong and working through it.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

greeneyed wrote:

But Hingano came on the basis he’d get a shot at first grade, and his contract says he can leave at the end of the year if he doesn’t. But I agree he should be playing with Mounties.

By saying his contract says he can leave if he doesn’t get a shot do you mean he has a set number of games that activate the contract in our favour?

Even if this is the case playing him the way we do is stunting his development. He is never going to be a hooker we have no need for him to be a hooker therefore keeping him next year without developing his skills in 6 or 7 is irrelevant.

We would be better off playing him at Mounties and working on his game and at the end of the year showing him yes your contract isn’t automatically activated but look at how far you have come and we have shot Blake Austin out of a cannon so a spot is their if you want it!
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

You would release Austin in favour of Hingano!? Hingano has shown nothing to suggest he is capable of being an NRL half 5/8th. If anything, the times he's found himself in a situation where acting like a half would be the right move, he's over-played his hand or taken the wrong option.

Let the damn contract lapse, bring in Garvey as the stop gap until Hodgson is healthy and let's see whether we got any value out of swapping him for Priest.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

This is the team I would pick:

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Austin
7. Sezer
8. Lui
9. Havili
10. Boyd
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Papalii

14. Hodgson / Garvey
15. Murchie
16. Soliola
17. Bateman / Knight

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Last edited by Dusty on June 10, 2018, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

yurithe1 wrote:You would release Austin in favour of Hingano!? Hingano has shown nothing to suggest he is capable of being an NRL half 5/8th. If anything, the times he's found himself in a situation where acting like a half would be the right move, he's over-played his hand or taken the wrong option.

Let the damn contract lapse, bring in Garvey as the stop gap until Hodgson is healthy and let's see whether we got any value out of swapping him for Priest.

No I wouldn’t release Austin in favour of Hingano. I don’t want either in the team, I was implying more that I think Austin will leave on his own account. So if We are trying to keep Himgano based on some clause in his contract we should be developing him at a position that he actually plays( at Mounties).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RTW wrote: June 10, 2018, 1:20 pm
greeneyed wrote:
-TW- wrote: June 9, 2018, 8:12 pm You could replace Hingano with about 15 names in that last sentence.

By saying his contract says he can leave if he doesn’t get a shot do you mean he has a set number of games that activate the contract in our favour?

Even if this is the case playing him the way we do is stunting his development. He is never going to be a hooker we have no need for him to be a hooker therefore keeping him next year without developing his skills in 6 or 7 is irrelevant.

We would be better off playing him at Mounties and working on his game and at the end of the year showing him yes your contract isn’t automatically activated but look at how far you have come and we have shot Blake Austin out of a cannon so a spot is their if you want it!
I don’t know the detailsof the contractual provision, just that he has an option in his favour, so he can leave at end 2018 if he feels he’s not getting a first grade shot.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

If Hingano leaves does it matter? He has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he is a first grader. Would he make any other teams top 17?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No and no.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Exactly which makes the idea of us playing him even more stupid.

Send him to Mounties and forget about him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Benji has a calf strain, may miss next week