Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gerg »

Hope he is okay as the tracker seems to have lost him? They're not that reliable sometimes.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Tracking is updating now and he is going okay now. Averaging about 30km/ph.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He has about 14km to go and slowing down a bit. Hopefully just saving a little for a strong finish in the last 5. Sending my energy your way mate, bring it home.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Hang in there Coastal!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Yeah, it's all about just surviving from here.

Damn, what a massive day.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

was at Lake Cathie overnight and had to pick our way through the ironman to drive home. Absolutely cracking morning weather wise probably a bit warmer than they'd like.
Some very serious competitors and also looked some good sportsmanship further down riders helping each other along.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: May 6, 2018, 7:33 pm was at Lake Cathie overnight and had to pick our way through the ironman to drive home. Absolutely cracking morning weather wise probably a bit warmer than they'd like.
Some very serious competitors and also looked some good sportsmanship further down riders helping each other along.

Great spot Lake Cathie..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:
bonehead wrote: May 6, 2018, 7:33 pm was at Lake Cathie overnight and had to pick our way through the ironman to drive home. Absolutely cracking morning weather wise probably a bit warmer than they'd like.

Great spot Lake Cathie..
in-laws retired there from coal point.

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: May 6, 2018, 8:10 pm
-PJ- wrote:

Great spot Lake Cathie..
in-laws retired there from coal point.

That's gotta be tough.. :)
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And the local footy team are the Raiders...

Win win.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Gone from circa 95kg to 86kg. Feeling good.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Boys, that's a hell of a long way to race.

It's going to take a while for me to get my head around that.

Swim was good, had a pretty dark hour on the bike but recovered well before hitting the hills on the way back into town for the last time. Felt good on the run, but a hip problem I've been nursing flared up 8k in, so had to change my gait completely to cover that, which dropped my pace to an 8 min k. But super happy to fight through it and be super consistent, and come in under 13 hours which was my goal.

It fells amazing to achieve that given how much effort it takes just getting to the start line.

https://www.facebook.com/sarah.knight83 ... 4317166595
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Well done mate. It's probably too early but did you go into it with a "One and done" philosophy or keen for more. When I finally get my **** and motivation into gear I'll be bending your ear for advice.
Congratulations on finishing and in a respectable time too. Hope you can kick back and celebrate and have some time off work to recover.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's a great effort, well done
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Amazing. Well done.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Congrats Coastal, fantastic stuff

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

OK everyone, race report time.

The last 10 or so months of training for this event, my first Ironman, had gone really well. Big progress on all fronts, which included my first marathon, a half marathon PB, and an Ironman 70.3 PB as stepping stone events along the way. I felt mentally ready, which I had heard was such an important part, I was technically very prepared with equipment and nutrition all being tested multiple times leading into the event, as I never want to try something new on race day. The only slight negative is that I had been carrying a small issue in my left hip which I had been trying to sort out for 2 weeks leading in, within about 2km of any run starting during that period, my glute tightened up and pulled my hip joint slightly out of whack, and caused the joint to become quite painful. I knew that it was something I could fight through, and wouldn't force me to stop, but it would slow me down. I had done chiro, massage, salt baths, rollers, and even trialled Normatech boots and pants in the lead up to race day, and it was feeling much better.

Friday was check in day, and organising all my different transition kits, ready for racking. Saturday was racking and transition tour in the morning, a last session on the Normatechs, and home to watch the Raiders game!

Race day was a nice early start, into transition to get the nutrition sorted on the bike at around 5am, then I sat on the side of the river with my wife and soaked up the occasion, watching all the70.3 racers start their day, and reflected on the last year and how much effort it had taken to get to this point. Literally 12 months earlier I was undertaking my first 70.3, thinking that would be the limit to what I was able to accomplish in Tri's. Today I was aiming to break 13 hours on an Ironman.

Swim - target 1hour 20 mins.
For some reason the organisers re-routed the first few hundred meters of the swim leg to a narrower channel between some moored boats after the 70.3 start. This made the start fairly hectic, with a lot of slower swimmers struggling to keep in a straight line for the first stint to the old boat ramp. I got my first really good kick in the head here, straight on a goggle lense, and it felt like the vacuum created was going to pull my bloody eyeball out! A quick readjustment and it was all good. Once we rounded the first buoys and the field spread out a bit, I was able to get in a good rhythm and start passing some swimmers. I had put in a lot of effort in the pool this last year with an aim of building an efficient swim stroke, if not very fast. A benchmark swim leading into the race showed that in 12 months I had taken my 2km average of 2.08min/100m down to 1.53, so this was great progress. For the first time I was able to bridge between swim groups, and take a small rest on peoples feet once I had caught them. Usually I am a solo swimmer, or getting dropped of the pack until I get caught by the next age group coming through, so this was a really good feeling. I finished the swim in 1.18, and came out of the water thinking that I had just had my best race swim ever, and had hardly used any energy at all. It was a great feeling knowing that one stage was over, and I was in good shape heading onto the bike.

Bike - target 6hours 30 mins.
I had my family waiting for me at Flynns beach, only a few minutes into the ride, and I would pass them 4 times on the course in total. it was such a boost to see them all cheering on with hand made signs, and shirts my wife had custom made for them that read 'who needs superheros - my dads a real Ironman!' Without a power meter on my bike, I was riding to perceived effort, and I felt like I was really holding back and averaged 30 odd km/h for the first 45kms to the turnaround point near Dunbogan. I was really cautious of getting ahead of myself and was trying to pace well. The course I mentally split into 3 parts - the hills and rollers near Port, the TT stretches in the middle, and the bumpy stuff down south. I finished off the first 90km loop feeling very good, and headed back out of town. It was in the middle TT section on lap 2 that the fatigue started kicking in. A slight wind had picked up, and a combo of that and tired legs meant I couldn't hold the pace I had on lap one. I had to mentally accept that at this point in time, I just had to do what I could do at that moment, and stop thinking about pace. I had a pretty rough hour thought he bumpy section of the course, and this was mentally the hardest period for me. I just focussed on doing the best I could, but I had this annoying voice in the back of my head saying 'your not even half way yet...' Coming back through lake Cathy, there was a group of spectators at the top of a climb, and a stranger yelled at me on the way past 'Just bring it home Nick!', and it literally felt like I had a gust of wind push me in the back. For some reason that comment completely changed my frame of mind, and I kept chanting it to myself on the way back to town. I had 3 of my workmates, including my boss drive up for the day to cheer me on, and I saw them on the way back, as well as my family, and that kept the good flow happening all the way into town. I finished off with a 6.22. Again, under target.

Run - target 4hours 20mins - 4hours 45mins

I took a few minutes in transition to get set up properly, and let my legs get used to not peddling, and then headed out on course. I had a target pace of 6min/k, and was able to roll out and hit this target easily for the majority of the first lap. At around the 8km mark, my hip joint went. I tried to 'fight' it for a km or so, until mentally it was starting to get my head out of a good place. I pulled into a porta loo for a quiet moment, and just had to reassess todays objective. I focused on forgetting time and pace, I changed my watch so all I could see was distance, and re focussed on two things - keep moving, and doing whatever was possible in the moment. I knew that sometimes the pain would mean I would need to walk a few meters, and rather than beating myself up, I accepted this. I knew my pace would be slower than target, but as long as I used the most I could at any given time, and rode the rollercoaster of energy levels, I was happy. That little moment to refocus totally changed my frame of mind, and set me up for the 'easiest' long run I had ever done.
I found a new short stride gait, with a bit of a left leg hitch that took most of the load off the joint. I was able to keep a pace of high 7min ks up for the bulk of the run. I kept breaking the course up into manageable sections - I just had to do 10k until I finished this lap - just 2 km to the next aid station.. this made it much easier to digest. I had heard a lot in podcasts and such professionals talk about what 'the zone' was for them, and I remember hearing one of my favourite Ironmen, Lionel Sanders talk of his 'zone' being a place where the world went quiet, and the body was so focussed on the moment that it was essentially incapable of thought. I went into this stage at around the 20km mark, and all my head noise just seemed to disappear. I was amazed at what I was able to achieve in this period, I had set out to keep a certain pace until I hit the wall, but the wall never really came. I was on autopilot. With about 3km to go I got a bit wobbly in the head, and I nearly had a fall, so I walked a few hundred meters and had a double helping of coke for the sugar hit at the second last aid station, and kept on plugging.

Its hard to describe the feeling of hitting the finishing chute and having my workmates and family cheering me home and throwing high fives. Its still something Im getting to grips with. 3 years ago I got the hard word from my doctor that unless I changed my health habits, I was going to have some major issues. That was a major turning point for me, and I realised I would not be any positive sort of father figure for my family in my current state. I decided that day to improve my health. Ironman was not even a figment of my imagination at that time. I remember driving home from the gyn not long afterwards with a tear in my eye to tell my wife I ran a whole kilometre on the treadmill - without even walking once!! Ive since dropped over 30kg and totally changed my health and habits. This result is something that never ever seemed possible even a year ago. And to finish knowing I gave it everything I had, and that was the absolute fastest time I could deliver with the cards I was dealt on the day was a great feeling. I finished the Marathon with a 5.04, but finished the event in 12.52, which was under my 13 hour target time. I seriously couldnt be happier with the result.

I dont really know whats next. I came in thinking that this would be my only Ironman. Now Im not so sure. Its a really big commitment with a young family, so It may be shorter distances for a few years until the kids get a bit older and dont want me hanging around anymore:) But I'm going on a 2km run tonight with my 3 year old, as he has been begging me to go racing with him since Sunday, so maybe this whole role model thing is working!

A massive thanks to everyone for their support, its really helped in the lead up.

And as the Ironman motto goes - 'Anything is possible'.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

outstanding effort

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Great write up Coastal and congratulations on the journey and the result. Well done mate.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Wow, that’s amazing coastal. You’re an inspiration to us all
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

fantastic story Coastal, congratulations!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Sensational effort coastal, I wouldn't have made it out of the water!
Did a half Marathon on Saturday and that was hard enough!
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Legend effort

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

That is a fantastic race report, Coastal!

I like how you dealt with some inevitable troubles. Getting your head right is so important.

That stranger yelling out to you...it's amazing what some human interaction can do. I don't know what it is exactly. Maybe a shot of endorphins or getting your synapses firing in different ways or something else, but I've felt it many times. It re-centres you. Gotta get your head right.

So I'm curious as to what nutrition you used on the day and also if you have any idea how much water you went through?

You've come a mighty long way since you started posting in this thread. It's a testament to what a normal bloke or gal can achieve if they just have the right reasons to. Your kids are going to be proud to say their dad is an Ironman forever. Good on you, Nick!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Congrats on your achievements Coastalraider...

Makes me want to jog to the fridge for my next beer instead of walk.

Nah..fair dink..well done.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Thanks gents, I really appreciate the words.

I don't really know what it is with the crowd comments either EJ, in the bad hour I had on the bike, I had passed my work mates, and heaps of other groups of people cheering and yelling your name, but for some reason that comment just happened at exactly the right time.

As for nutrition, pre race I had my normal ravioli with no sauce for dinner the night before, and breakfast was x2 white rice cakes with peanut butter and honey at about 5am leaving a couple of hours to digest. I've gone away from clif bars after having stomach issues at Western Sydney 70.3, my theory is it may be too much fibre in the gut to start a race.
I had about 2-3 bottles of endura each day for 3-4 days leading up to load on carbs and salts, and had X1 bottle on race morning over a few hours pre race. X1 gel 15 minutes before hitting the water to make sure the glycogen stores were fresh, as it's a bit hard to take any nutrition during the swim, which on a bad day could have taken 1.5 hours.

Bike nutrition was to only drink electrolyte so as not to dilute the salt stores for the rest of the day, I tried to make sure I had drank 1 bottle an hour, but in reality I was a bit under this. Likely total was about 4 litres over the 6 hours, which was fine as it wasn't too hot, it was one of the days where it feels like you are not loosing a lot of fluid. And number 1s were fine so I had no concerns on fluid intake. I had X1 gel every 45 minutes, switching between 2 brands to mix it up a bit, as it can get very tedious after a while. Hours 1,3,5 I had a saltstick, hours 2,4,6 I had pre cut mouthfuls of energy bar, and randomly I had red snakes, total of 4. Not sure on the reality of the sugar from the snakes, but it was awesome to have something sweet with so much salty intake.
Run nutrition was simpler, X1 gel every 7 Ks which is my staple on long runs. It works out somewhere around the 45min mark usually and spaces out well over both a half and full marathon. Aid stations were every 2 km on average, for the first 2 hours while the sun was up and I was still sweating I was taking a bit of water at each stop, and alternating electrolytes and coke. Once the sun went down and it cooled down, switched the electrolyte to 50/50 red bull/water which was supplied on course. Once you are that far into a day your body can't really process the complex sugars like endura, so the coke/red bull gets the sugar in fast. It was maybe 2 mouthfulls at each station, so not enough to cause any bloating. I had a coupe of neurophen during the run to try and take the edge off the hip pain, but it didn't do anything. I had a hammy start to twitch in a cramp at 30km in the in, but I had a shot of CrampFix and cleared it straight up.
I couldn't even think to eat solids on race night, just had zero interest. I had a couple of bacon and egg rolls next day but they only stayed in for about 20 minutes.
Turns out I lost 3 kg over the course of the race. But I've been celebrating for a week, so theirs kegs are well looked after!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Interesting. Very methodical.

For my really long races my nutrition plan largely goes out the window. In Iceland it didn't because I would have had to go out of my way to get anything but what I packed for myself. But for A to B races with aid stations along the way, I just eat with my eyes. Doesn't matter if I've never ever trained with jelly beans, 2 minute noodles or pumpkin soup. I'll eat it now 🤣

Very interesting about the Crampfix. I just looked it up and it sounds a lot like pickle juice, which ive heard similar great things about. I will try to find some. How did you carry it?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: May 16, 2018, 5:12 pm Interesting. Very methodical.

For my really long races my nutrition plan largely goes out the window. In Iceland it didn't because I would have had to go out of my way to get anything but what I packed for myself. But for A to B races with aid stations along the way, I just eat with my eyes. Doesn't matter if I've never ever trained with jelly beans, 2 minute noodles or pumpkin soup. I'll eat it now 🤣

Very interesting about the Crampfix. I just looked it up and it sounds a lot like pickle juice, which ive heard similar great things about. I will try to find some. How did you carry it?
I 'think' pickle juice is a preventative, this is an instant relief. If you go on their website they have a starter pack, which has a small bottle and 3 little satchels, like a gel but about 1/3 the size. I just ran with one in my racebelt.

They had all sorts on this course at aid stations, tomato soup, Anzac biscuits, pretzels, but I had no interest. I did run about 800m with a cup of pretzels in my hand to give to my son as a treat though😂
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Re: Health and fitnessa

Post by kiwi raider »

Managed to knock a couple of minutes off the PB today at the Christchurch half marathon finishing in 1hr25. Pretty happy with that the only downside being both the half and full Marathons were won by bloody Australians :D
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

That is lightning! Thats gotta be close to sub 4 min pace.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

When I was a young man I could run 5k in 17mins..no carp.
Today I couldn't drive it.

I'm not unfit, I'm not even overweight, I'm just in a who cares mode...
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

kiwi raider wrote: June 3, 2018, 12:58 pm Managed to knock a couple of minutes off the PB today at the Christchurch half marathon finishing in 1hr25. Pretty happy with that the only downside being both the half and full Marathons were won by bloody Australians :D
Bloody hell thats fast mate - well done!!

Ive got Gold Coast marathon coming up at the end of the month, so I need to get my run legs back!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: June 3, 2018, 12:58 pm Managed to knock a couple of minutes off the PB today at the Christchurch half marathon finishing in 1hr25. Pretty happy with that the only downside being both the half and full Marathons were won by bloody Australians :D

Ive got Gold Coast marathon coming up at the end of the month, so I need to get my run legs back!
My goal for the GC Half is sub 1:30. Did a half today (Queensland Half) and could not get sub 1:40. Seems that my solid diet of takeaway and ice cream isn't working for me. I'm reevaluating my goal.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 3, 2018, 4:54 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

My goal for the GC Half is sub 1:30. Did a half today (Queensland Half) and could not get sub 1:40. Seems that my solid diet of takeaway and ice cream isn't working for me. I'm reevaluating my goal.
That's still pretty fair mate! My aim is to get the finishers medal in one piece, there is still some deep fatigue in me after ironman. I did a 22k last week and from 15 onwards it was very hard work. Besides, I'm up there for work, so as soon as I cross the line I'll jump in my van and drive back to the Central Coast, so I need a bit of energy left!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

-PJ- wrote:When I was a young man I could run 5k in 17mins..no carp.
Today I couldn't drive it.

I'm not unfit, I'm not even overweight, I'm just in a who cares mode...
Wow. When is the last time you ran?

Sounds like you've got it in you to wipe the floor with any of us.