2018 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Blues 13+
13%
Blues 1-12
50%
Maroons 1-12
38%
Maroons 13+
No votes

Total votes: 8

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2018 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland: Teams and Game Day

New South Wales V Queensland
Melbourne Cricket Ground
Wednesday 6 June 7:30pm
Unders 18s: 5:15pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine live
Radio: ABC, 2CC

New South Wales Blues

1. James Tedesco 2. Tom Trbojevic 3. Latrell Mitchell 4. James Roberts 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. James Maloney 7. Nathan Cleary 8. David Klemmer 9. Damien Cook 10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 11. Boyd Cordner (c) 12. Tyson Frizell 13. Jack De Belin

14. Paul Vaughan 15. Jake Trbojevic 16. Angus Crichton 17. Tyrone Peachey

18. Tariq Sims 19. Nick Cotric

Queensland Maroons

1. Billy Slater 2. Valentine Holmes 3. Greg Inglis (c) 4. Will Chambers 5. Dane Gagai 6. Cameron Munster 7. Ben Hunt 8. Dylan Napa 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Jarrod Wallace 11. Gavin Cooper 12. Felise Kaufusi 13. Josh McGuire

14. Michael Morgan 15. Josh Papalii 16. Coen Hess 17. Jai Arrow

Coach: Kevin Walters

Officials:

Referees: Gerard Sutton, Ashley Klein
Sideline Officials: Nick Beashel, Brett Suttor
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Under 18s

New South Wales Blues

Tallis Angiana (Central Coast Roosters), Jalal Bazzaz (Illawarra Steelers), Bradman Best (Newcastle Knights), Shawn Blore (Penrith Panthers), Hayden Bonanno (Penrith Panthers), Egan Butcher (Sydney Roosters), Phoenix Crossland (Newcastle Knights), Matthew Doorey (Canterbury Bulldogs), Duwayne Fuimaono (Sydney Roosters), Brock Gardner (Newcastle Knights), Ryan Gray (Canterbury Bulldogs), Spencer Leniu (Penrith Panthers), Jock Madden (Newcastle Knights), John-Paul Nohra (Parramatta Eels), Jaron Purcell (Newcastle Knights), Jason Saab (St George Dragons), Tommy Talau (Canterbury Bulldogs), Maurice Trindall (Penrith Panthers), Stefano Utoikamanu (Parramatta Eels), Bronson Xerri (Cronulla Sharks)

Queensland Maroons

McKenzie Baker (Sydney Roosters), Tanah Boyd (Souths Logan Magpies), Geordie Brand (Sydney Roosters), Ethan Bullemor (Norths Devils), David Butler (Tweed Heads Seagulls), Blake Campbell (Tweed Heads Seagulls), Xavier Coates (Tweed Heads Seagulls), Tom Dearden (Tweed Heads Seagulls), Tino Fa'Asuamaleaui (Victoria Thunderbolts), David Fifita (Souths Logan Magpies), Thomas Gilbert (Townsville Blackhawks), Fanitesi Niu (Souths Logan Magpies), Cory Paix (Norths Devils), Jack Paterson (Norths Devils), Garrett Smith (Mackay Cutters), Jake Simpkin (South West Mustangs), Ioane Seiuli (Souths Logan Magpies), Sebastian Winters-Chang (Easts Tigers)

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2018 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland

Post by -PJ- »

6th June ???
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Blues team looks absolute gold.

No rubbish selections like Aaron Woods, Josh Jackson, Beau Scott, Kurt Gidley etc
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

yeh raiders wrote:Blues team looks absolute gold.

No rubbish selections like Aaron Woods, Josh Jackson, Beau Scott, Kurt Gidley etc
Kurt, bench captain deluxe...
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

yeh raiders wrote: May 28, 2018, 6:45 pm Blues team looks absolute gold.

Just need to get rid of the RCG moustache
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Joey Leilua unlucky not to pick up a spot in the development squad

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I think QLD's back 5 give them a slight advantage on paper. Should be a cracking game with plenty of mongrel in both sides.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sid wrote: May 28, 2018, 3:05 pm Image
I agree Sid. Turnstiles for centers. In fact the Qld backline is easily better than the NSW backline imo. I really like the NSW halves creativity though. If the NSW forwards can get over the advantage line to give the halves space they will push QLD. So many NSW rookies at this level though. Qld would have more experience in their side. Been there done that may be a factor. I am Blue through and through so I will predict a NSW victory. Just like I have been hoping for the past decade.....
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Sid wrote: May 28, 2018, 7:28 pm Joey Leilua unlucky not to pick up a spot in the development squad
I'd say he is shorter odds at getting selected for Mounties than he is for NSW but I don't think he will get picked in either. Euan Aiken, Tyrone Peachey and Josh Dugan would all be ahead of him as back up centre for NSW.

He's been solid enough lately but you've got the green goggles on if you seriously think he is in NSW future plans.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Not afan of the blues backs.

Cotric on the wing ahead of turbo, Aitkin and Peachy the centers.

Mitchell and Roberts are not 80 minute players. They will likely cost the blues victory with their inability to focus
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: May 29, 2018, 8:17 am Not afan of the blues backs.

Cotric on the wing ahead of turbo, Aitkin and Peachy the centers.

Mitchell and Roberts are not 80 minute players. They will likely cost the blues victory with their inability to focus
Aikin and Peachy must have been unlucky to miss out! I feel like Roberts and Mitchell are the weakest defensively of those 4. Surprising they didn't split them.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2017 State of Origin I: Queensland V New South Wales

Post by -TW- »

Bernard Sutton and Ashley Klein named as referees

How the actual **** does that hopeless clown Klein get origin..
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Klein?? Geez
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Klein! That’s a gee up surely. Sutton annoys me because of how chummy he is with the players. Cecchin is the best ref IMO

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Very surprised Cecchin didn’t get the start. Something going on there I think... I know he isn’t Todd Greenberg’s mate at the moment
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: May 28, 2018, 2:57 pm
Under 18s

New South Wales Blues

Tallis Angiana (Central Coast Roosters), Jalal Bazzaz (Illawarra Steelers), Bradman Best (Newcastle Knights), Shawn Blore (Penrith Panthers), Hayden Bonanno (Penrith Panthers), Egan Butcher (Sydney Roosters), Phoenix Crossland (Newcastle Knights), Matthew Doorey (Canterbury Bulldogs), Duwayne Fuimaono (Sydney Roosters), Brock Gardner (Newcastle Knights), Ryan Gray (Canterbury Bulldogs), Spencer Leniu (Penrith Panthers), Jock Madden (Newcastle Knights), John-Paul Nohra (Parramatta Eels), Jaron Purcell (Newcastle Knights), Jason Saab (St George Dragons), Tommy Talau (Canterbury Bulldogs), Maurice Trindall (Penrith Panthers), Stefano Utoikamanu (Parramatta Eels), Bronson Xerri (Cronulla Sharks)

Queensland Maroons

McKenzie Baker (Sydney Roosters), Tanah Boyd (Souths Logan Magpies), Geordie Brand (Sydney Roosters), Ethan Bullemor (Norths Devils), David Butler (Tweed Heads Seagulls), Blake Campbell (Tweed Heads Seagulls), Xavier Coates (Tweed Heads Seagulls), Tom Dearden (Tweed Heads Seagulls), Tino Fa'Asuamaleaui (Victoria Thunderbolts), David Fifita (Souths Logan Magpies), Thomas Gilbert (Townsville Blackhawks), Fanitesi Niu (Souths Logan Magpies), Cory Paix (Norths Devils), Jack Paterson (Norths Devils), Garrett Smith (Mackay Cutters), Jake Simpkin (South West Mustangs), Ioane Seiuli (Souths Logan Magpies), Sebastian Winters-Chang (Easts Tigers)
Interesting to note that there’s not one Raiders rep in the Under 18s Origin squads.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

LastRaider wrote: May 30, 2018, 6:40 am Very surprised Cecchin didn’t get the start. Something going on there I think... I know he isn’t Todd Greenberg’s mate at the moment
He must've threatened to stop penalising and start allowing players to stand 6 metres behind the play of the ball again.

Greenberg seems dead set on making sure this years Origin is properly officiated, which will of course play into NSW hands. Looking forward to it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

State of Origin: The hidden value of Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii

Josh Papalii has been the most effective of any player from the Blues or Maroons in the past decade for metres gained over the advantage line. He has averaged 10.12 metres per run, the only player to average double figures.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/30/sta ... h-papalii/
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote: May 30, 2018, 9:59 am
Under 18s

New South Wales Blues

Queensland Maroons

Interesting to note that there’s not one Raiders rep in the Under 18s Origin squads.
I noticed that as well. Hopefully it's just a lean year and not a sign of things to come.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: May 30, 2018, 9:59 am
Under 18s

New South Wales Blues

Queensland Maroons

A sad state of affairs GE. In particular as NSW has named a 20 player squad and Qld an 18 player squad. We made the Semi Finals in the SG Ball Cup for U/18s. We got through the qualifying final against Manly at Lotto Land only to be bundled out the following week in the Semi Final by the eventual winners of the SG Ball Cup Penrith at Leichhardt. The Raiders side is not without talent.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Between smith, slater and cronk I would've expected slater to be the first to retire from rep footy,
especially since he hates the contact so much and they have D Boyd waiting in the wings.

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'd expect Ponga to be fullback next year. Boyd won't be named in the side again unless there's an injury this year.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Yeah Boyd’s rep career is finished save for a few Qld injuries

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

the bone wrote: May 31, 2018, 11:39 am Yeah Boyd’s rep career is finished save for a few Qld injuries

If Gagai or Holmes fell over I'd be tempted to draft in Cory Oates ahead of Boyd. Bigger body, better in the air and in hot form. I'd rather Ponga at the back ahead of Boyd. I think Boyd is done in maroon.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sid wrote:.
agreed as always

no raiders in that u/18s match but plenty of sths logan

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Travis
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Travis »

I reckon Jarrett Subloo would have been close for QLD. Perhaps being injured for the first part of the season went against him. He's made QLD schoolboys each year of his progression (ie. 12 Years, 15 Years and 18 Years), and is a very good player.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Like the NSW team too. JRob was Dally M centre of the year for Titans, doing some real highlight reel stuff this year, he deserves a shot. Latrell is just a freak, don't even put Aitken in the same sentence as him. At the end of their careers, Latrell will be looked on as a superstar and Aitken not much more than a solid first grader. I'd even have Croker or BJ over Aitken.

I'd have J Trbojevic start over De Belin, and Cotric wing over T Trbojevic, other than that no change. Eventually I would have T Turbo take over from Tedesco, however he looked woeful a few weeks ago and couldn't catch a ball, so too risky throwing him the number 1 just yet.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Joey' Johns makes Canberra Raiders winger Nick Cotric even hungrier for Origin debut

Immortal Andrew Johns has taken future NSW Blue Nick Cotric under his wing, make the Canberra Raiders flyer even hungrier to make his State of Origin debut.

"Johns's been showing everyone heaps, I've been paying attention to 'Freddy' [Fittler] and all the coaching staff. I've been learning heaps from the boys too, Tedesco and that," Cotric said. "It's a big experience, a big learning curve for me. I just take everything I learn here and just perform it each week for the Raiders. It'll definitely help me out heaps."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zj2s.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: June 2, 2018, 5:47 pm 'Joey' Johns makes Canberra Raiders winger Nick Cotric even hungrier for Origin debut

Immortal Andrew Johns has taken future NSW Blue Nick Cotric under his wing, make the Canberra Raiders flyer even hungrier to make his State of Origin debut.
Oh God no!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Must admit to feeling a little jaded by Origin in recent years. This time round I’m feeling more excitement in the lead up. So many new players on both sides has given this series a nice sugar hit. Hoping to see a fast open contest.

NSW forward look strong as ever with no passengers like Woods and Jackson. Up against a solid QLD pack without any real stars. Everybody knows how maroon forward grow a leg in Origin though.

Also looks like NSW are at least on par in the halves. Some could argue they get the skin here. Cleary/Maloney vs Hunt/Munster could well be the decisive battle.

While I can understand the hype and excitement around the NSW backs we have to be realistic. Only Tedesco is proven at Origin level. Consider they are up against Slater, Inglis, Chambers, Holmes, Gagai. That’s a pretty bankable commodity right there.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Billy Slater ruled out with a hamstring injury, Ponga or Milford to take his place via a position on the bench with Morgan to fullback.

That possibly makes the side stronger

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Another grub bites the dust