Canberra Raiders shut the door on Aaron Woods in prop hunt

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders have shut the door on the prospect of luring Aaron Woods to the capital with his price tag outweighing the club's need for prop forwards.

"We can’t find a million dollars," Peter Mulholland said. "He hasn’t [lived up to the price tag] and it’s not his fault, it’s the idiots that paid him. I looked at his stats the other day, him and Klemmer on stats are that far ahead of the prop they’ve selected [for NSW] it’s not funny. Everyone is bagging them and I think they’re doing great. [But] Woods is certainly not on our target list."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zhtm.html
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Canberra Raiders shut the door on Aaron Woods in prop hunt

Post by zim »

Haha he doesn't hold back.
I wouldn't say no to woods at 400k ish on the cap but not going to lose any sleep over not chasing him.
The dogs trying to shop his full price tag around is probably just the first round of negotiations, but it's just silly.
Last edited by zim on May 29, 2018, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

GOOD!

Mr Mulholland, if you ever need help, ill give you my 2 cents.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

I think Lui is becoming one of my favourite Raiders - outstanding comeback, improvement and great team first attitude.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

scotchberry wrote: May 29, 2018, 4:25 pm I think Lui is becoming one of my favourite Raiders - outstanding comeback, improvement and great team first attitude.
:thumbsup
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

He seems to believe Woods is not going to be cheap. Well i guess he knows more than us, but I would have thought the Dogs are going to have to pay a fair wack for the next couple of years and it might only cost us $500k on the cap each year. But hey, what would I know.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Realistically they’re not going to pay ridiculous money to another club to take him for two or more years. Why would they? He’s not amazing but he’s not so bad you write off 300k of cap for multiple years.

Canterbury probably give you a nice discount on your first year, or a smaller one over two years would be my guess.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Beejay wrote: May 29, 2018, 4:31 pm He seems to believe Woods is not going to be cheap. Well i guess he knows more than us, but I would have thought the Dogs are going to have to pay a fair wack for the next couple of years and it might only cost us $500k on the cap each year. But hey, what would I know.
I'd say the dogs are just hoping to get extremely lucky and find someone willing to take on his entire salary. They'll probably be lucky to get away with paying 300k / year.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Mulholland never inspires me with much confidence.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The door was never open Pete...

Fair go mate.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Strange article. Mulholland basically says Woods hasn't earned his pay check, the people that paid him that much are idiots, and says we're definitely not interested in him.

He then goes on to say how Woods and Klemmer are so statistically superior to the forwards picked for NSW, and criticism of them is unfair, and they're going "great". :?

"He hasn’t [lived up to the price tag] and it’s not his fault, it’s the idiots that paid him. I looked at his stats the other day, him and [David] Klemmer on stats are that far ahead of the prop they’ve selected [for NSW] it’s not funny. Everyone is bagging them and I think they’re doing great. Woods is certainly not on our target list."

He's chopping and changing from being outright insulting to singing their praises. Bizarre.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That's nearly word for word Finchy..well done.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Finchy wrote: May 29, 2018, 5:44 pm Strange article. Mulholland basically says Woods hasn't earned his pay check, the people that paid him that much are idiots, and says we're definitely not interested in him.

He then goes on to say how Woods and Klemmer are so statistically superior to the forwards picked for NSW, and criticism of them is unfair, and they're going "great". :?

"He hasn’t [lived up to the price tag] and it’s not his fault, it’s the idiots that paid him. I looked at his stats the other day, him and [David] Klemmer on stats are that far ahead of the prop they’ve selected [for NSW] it’s not funny. Everyone is bagging them and I think they’re doing great. Woods is certainly not on our target list."

He's chopping and changing from being outright insulting to singing their praises. Bizarre.
Maybe he thinks Klemmer is awesome and Woods is ****. I think most of the rugby league community would agree.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-PJ- wrote: May 29, 2018, 5:48 pm That's nearly word for word Finchy..well done.
Haha, I did leave out the bit about us "not having 1 million dollars" to pay him.

I'm not sure how to take that statement though. If we did have a million dollars, does that mean we would buy Woods? Wouldn't that make Mulholland an idiot as well, after calling out the Bulldogs for paying him that much (or less?)
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Finchy wrote: May 29, 2018, 5:58 pm
-PJ- wrote: May 29, 2018, 5:48 pm That's nearly word for word Finchy..well done.
Haha, I did leave out the bit about us "not having 1 million dollars" to pay him.

I'm not sure how to take that statement though. If we did have a million dollars, does that mean we would buy Woods? Wouldn't that make Mulholland an idiot as well, after calling out the Bulldogs for paying him that much (or less?)
Woods is a plodder..end of.

We would have kept one of Boyd/Paulo and had change left over.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Woods is not the premier prop he's being paid to be, but he's definitely above average and would be a good signing at the right price. What price that is, that's up for debate.

As for the article, agree with the poster earlier. Mulholland appeared to jump all over the place. None the less im pleased Woods is not on our radar, i'd take him at the right price but i suspect his (Woods that is) price and mine are totally different.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

scotchberry wrote: May 29, 2018, 4:25 pm I think Lui is becoming one of my favourite Raiders - outstanding comeback, improvement and great team first attitude.
Agreed. You can tell he works so hard. I like him a lot and it's great to see him going so strongly.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Pigman wrote: May 29, 2018, 6:51 pm Woods is not the premier prop he's being paid to be, but he's definitely above average and would be a good signing at the right price. What price that is, that's up for debate.

As for the article, agree with the poster earlier. Mulholland appeared to jump all over the place. None the less im pleased Woods is not on our radar, i'd take him at the right price but i suspect his (Woods that is) price and mine are totally different.
Woods is a class above Paulo and Boyd imo. I hope the dogs end up with no choice and we get Woods for about the same money those guys will be on.

He's at least in the conversation re premier props (e.g., Klemmer, Napa, RCG), but even excellent props are not worth that sort of money (Fifita perhaps the exception).
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I agree he's above Paulo and Boyd. He's the leader of their clubhouse. Can be dominant but usually arent front rowers.
But i dont think he's a premier prop.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

That’s crazy by Mulholland if that is what he has said. You should never shut the door on anyone as you never know where you will be in a few months time.... this article concerns me that our head of recruitment has this attitude. No wonder our recruitment is ****
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Those words amount to nothing more than waffle. If correctly reported we have a problem.....
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

You can just tell he's a week away from a tour of HQ.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote: May 29, 2018, 8:46 pm I agree he's above Paulo and Boyd. He's the leader of their clubhouse. Can be dominant but usually arent front rowers.
There’s a reason he’s been left out of Origin. Too many soft performances. I don’t care what his stats show.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

raiderskater wrote: May 29, 2018, 6:53 pm
Agreed. You can tell he works so hard. I like him a lot and it's great to see him going so strongly.
Nominative determinism...
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote: May 29, 2018, 6:51 pm Woods is not the premier prop he's being paid to be, but he's definitely above average and would be a good signing at the right price. What price that is, that's up for debate.

Agree. Good prop at NRL level where his ball handling skills are outstanding. The type of prop I prefer in the NRL to our big boppers.

Not much chop at rep level though.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Which NSW prop is Mulholland referring to when he says they have worse stats than Woods? He’s probably right, but Woods has always had good stats. As GE said, he was left out of SOO because of a number of soft performances.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 29, 2018, 9:35 pm
Pigman wrote: May 29, 2018, 8:46 pm I agree he's above Paulo and Boyd. He's the leader of their clubhouse. Can be dominant but usually arent front rowers.
There’s a reason he’s been left out of Origin. Too many soft performances. I don’t care what his stats show.

Very fair call
That’s why Paulo and Boyd have been picked for... oh never mind
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Woods has been made a massive target on social media, largely because people are offended by his long hair

He's fine, above average, but overpaid.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think his hair is what turns people off, i think it's that he comes up small in big moments that gets people.
But yeah he's a fine a club prop at the 500k-600k mark
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

No, it's his hair... then his softness. Dude should be called Kleenex.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

But he ranks well on high five attempts.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Woods numbers are very good.
But the eye test shows him softer than warm butter.
He almost always hits the line going backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

If the guy can make you 100m+ every game it really doesn't matter how soft his hit ups are at that 400-500k range. He's going to get you good field position for your other players to work off the back of.
He's far from perfect but when you're not paying him 700-800k you don't need him to be.
Being able to sign a player with his stats with another club paying huge freight is exactly what a club like ours should be doing. It does nothing but improve the squads starting 13 and depth.

If forking out that money would stop us from signing a half then our cap is all over the place considering the offers we already made to Boyd and Paulo were higher.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Bulldogs are not going to carry $300k of Woods salary and also have to pay a low wage prop at say an additional $150k. It’s of no real salary cap reduction advantage.

I’m afraid they will probably only offer heavy dollars salary cap offset for the first year and a few bucks afterwards. They really have stuffed the situation up.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

BJ wrote: May 31, 2018, 11:15 am The Bulldogs are not going to carry $300k of Woods salary and also have to pay a low wage prop at say an additional $150k. It’s of no real salary cap reduction advantage.

I’m afraid they will probably only offer heavy dollars salary cap offset for the first year and a few bucks afterwards. They really have stuffed the situation up.
Just like they won't carry 300k of mbyes salary?
The dogs opting to pay 300k of Mbye's salary makes even less sense than paying 300k of Wood's salary as it's a spine position so it's harder to replace with quality and going to cost you more to do so. Add to that they already have strong players to cover the gap in the front row, moving Woods on at 300k would have been the smarter play.
Last edited by zim on May 31, 2018, 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.