A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

Beejay
John Ferguson

Re: Grounds for concern: Could 'super stadium' be on cards for Canberra?

Post by Beejay »

Canberra Stadium inner bowl is too far from the field and not steep enough, so it gets too far away from the field at low angle. It's kind of round, but not really. Can't fit an oval game on it, but also not square? Whoever designed it needs an uppercut.

Dr's argument is interesting.
So you're saying that the 2nd tier grandstand only need to be 26m back from sideline to accommodate oval ground?
So inner (ground level) seating needs to slide back 20-26m to get under the grandstand for oval game?

How does grass grow on large section that get covered by stadium seats? Maybe it's only covered for time you have a rectangle game on.
20m inside stadium will just be storage area for the rollback seating. Means Stadium needs to be super wide to fit change rooms ect. ect.

Would be super weird to see an AFL or Cricket game where the 2nd tier grandstand is within a metre or two of the rope. Would be the best viewing experience in the world for Cricket and AFL.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I am certainly no architect, but when I look at a google maps satellite image of AAMI Park in Melbourne with the old Olympic Park next to it which has been turned into an oval where Collingwood’s headquarters are it seems to me that the whole width of the AAMI Park structure is only a fraction wider than the AFL oval. That would suggest to me that the very back row of AAMI Park is closer to the field of play than the front row of the Meninga or Gregan/Larkham stand.

P.S. can someone do more superimposing of the grounds on top of each other. That is really good.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Beejay wrote:Canberra Stadium inner bowl is too far from the field and not steep enough, so it gets too far away from the field at low angle. It's kind of round, but not really. Can't fit an oval game on it, but also not square? Whoever designed it needs an uppercut.

So you're saying that the 2nd tier grandstand only need to be 26m back from sideline to accommodate oval ground?
So inner (ground level) seating needs to slide back 20-26m to get under the grandstand for oval game?
That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm glad that someone finally gets it.
Beejay wrote:How does grass grow on large section that get covered by stadium seats? Maybe it's only covered for time you have a rectangle game on.
I'd imagine so. I wonder what Homebush looks like when it's not being used.
Beejay wrote:20m inside stadium will just be storage area for the rollback seating. Means Stadium needs to be super wide to fit change rooms ect. ect.
Change rooms could be underground like at Suncorp/MCG
Beejay wrote:Would be super weird to see an AFL or Cricket game where the 2nd tier grandstand is within a metre or two of the rope. Would be the best viewing experience in the world for Cricket and AFL.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It wouldn’t be a good viewing experience for AFL and cricket either... as only one point of each grandstand would be on the boundary. So rather than have your stands curl around the boundary... the stands would be well back for most of the people. It’s a huge compromise for both sets of codes which would satisfy nobody.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Beejay wrote: May 28, 2018, 9:23 am Canberra Stadium inner bowl is too far from the field and not steep enough, so it gets too far away from the field at low angle. It's kind of round, but not really. Can't fit an oval game on it, but also not square? Whoever designed it needs an uppercut.

How does grass grow on large section that get covered by stadium seats? Maybe it's only covered for time you have a rectangle game on.
20m inside stadium will just be storage area for the rollback seating. Means Stadium needs to be super wide to fit change rooms ect. ect.

Would be super weird to see an AFL or Cricket game where the 2nd tier grandstand is within a metre or two of the rope. Would be the best viewing experience in the world for Cricket and AFL.
Well it was first designed and used for athletics- being the AIS stadium and hence the 400m running track size which doesn't fit any major Australia sports very well.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’ve worked the shift that moves the ANZ stands out before. True story.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I mean it's no Marvel Stadium roof closing, but it's pretty cool
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

greeneyed wrote: May 28, 2018, 7:25 pm It wouldn’t be a good viewing experience for AFL and cricket either... as only one point of each grandstand would be on the boundary. So rather than have your stands curl around the boundary... the stands would be well back for most of the people. It’s a huge compromise for both sets of codes which would satisfy nobody.
Yeah I understand what you mean, but the top grandstand would be closer than any other.
Corners would be virtually impossible to sort out.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I came across these on the internet. I wasn't a fan of the whole Stadium Australia redevelopment, but I've got to admit if they can pull this off, it would be amazing.

CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 27, 2018, 9:40 am If the plan was to have no seating at one end to accomodate Parkes Way, such as in the photo in the link in the first post:

It would look like this and have an 18m difference at the end.

Maintaining the desired capacity with no seating at one end (a bit like the stadium in Dunedin) wouldn't be such a bad idea. It would allow for increasing capacity for major sporting events such as the Football World Cup, by closing off Parkes Way and building temporary seating over it.
They would likely have to build over the top of Parkes Way if it were to be a multi purpose venue that accommodates an Oval, making Parkes Way a tunnel. They’d probably like to do that, to link the city to the lake. But it’d cost a bomb.
City to the lake already has plans to move parks way closer to the lake anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

I wonder what the options would be to build a smaller covered stadium?? Say 15000? Raiders crowds are pretty stagnant apart from finals, the brumbies are probably not going to be around post 2020. A smaller stadium would be cheaper and improve the atmosphere imo.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Then you trade off being able to host international games, which the govt keeps pushing for

You won't get the Kangaroos or Wallabies.. or even Socceroos playing at a 15k stadium regularly
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Riaan wrote: June 2, 2018, 6:32 pm I wonder what the options would be to build a smaller covered stadium?? Say 15000? Raiders crowds are pretty stagnant apart from finals, the brumbies are probably not going to be around post 2020. A smaller stadium would be cheaper and improve the atmosphere imo.
There’s no point building a stadium that size. We’d want to host finals games and you need at least 30,000 capacity for that. The NRL would understandably tell us to go jump at finals time. And isn’t the point to grow the crowds, not shrink the stadiums?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well if they insist on a multipurpose facility , I hope that they look at the technology used in Saitama Arena
http://www.meisarchitects.com/saitama/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 2, 2018, 6:54 pm Well if they insist on a multipurpose facility , I hope that they look at the technology used in Saitama Arena
Looks very impressive. But that won’t accommodate AFL or cricket. Can’t imagine how it would accommodate turf, either.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: June 2, 2018, 6:54 pm Well if they insist on a multipurpose facility , I hope that they look at the technology used in Saitama Arena
Looks very impressive. But that won’t accommodate AFL or cricket. Can’t imagine how it would accommodate turf, either.
Oh I don't mean build that exact stadium. I mean investigate how the technology used in it might be used in a stadium better suited to our needs.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Anyone else getting behind the A League bid?

https://www.cbrregionaleaguebid.com.au
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

From what I understand, the A-League wants two more teams but favour a third Melbourne team and either a third Sydney team or a second Brisbane team.

Ignoring the fact that Wollongong and Canberra would open up nearly three quarters of a million new fans to the code. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. David Gallop!
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

greeneyed wrote: June 2, 2018, 7:02 pm
They held the World Figure Skating Championships there a few years ago. Everyone said the stadium was great, but it was so far from any hotel with any sort of capacity that they actually had to have sleep rooms out the back/under the stadium so the skaters could kip between practice and competition.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

raiderskater wrote: July 11, 2018, 11:05 am
greeneyed wrote: June 2, 2018, 7:02 pm
They held the World Figure Skating Championships there a few years ago. Everyone said the stadium was great, but it was so far from any hotel with any sort of capacity that they actually had to have sleep rooms out the back/under the stadium so the skaters could kip between practice and competition.
That is freakin cool! A whole end moves
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Timbo wrote:From what I understand, the A-League wants two more teams but favour a third Melbourne team and either a third Sydney team or a second Brisbane team.

Ignoring the fact that Wollongong and Canberra would open up nearly three quarters of a million new fans to the code. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. David Gallop!
Cause they get such massive crowds for the other 2 teams..
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Green eyed Mick wrote: July 11, 2018, 9:58 am Anyone else getting behind the A League bid?

https://www.cbrregionaleaguebid.com.au
Yeah I have and I know plenty of others that have also. I think even if you're not a soccer fan it is in your interests just to put your name down because it costs nothing and if Canberra get a team then the stadium is far more of a reality. It will barely touch the Raiders as it is predominately a summer sport here.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

-TW- wrote: July 11, 2018, 12:33 pm
Timbo wrote:From what I understand, the A-League wants two more teams but favour a third Melbourne team and either a third Sydney team or a second Brisbane team.

Cause they get such massive crowds for the other 2 teams..
If you also look at how people in Newwy and the CC get behind the Jets and the Mariners it really should be a no-brainer. That idiot Gallop is being distracted by flashy bids when the only sustainable model really is a community driven one.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

It’s true and it’s ridiculous. I remember when the A League first started they made the point of “1 Town, 1 Team” to cut back the issues the NSL had. Now they’re slowly bringing them back. 2 is enough for Sydney and Melbourne.

Canberra should be a given, followed by Wollongong, Tasmania and either a 2nd Brisbane team or a 2nd Adelaide team
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I'm hearing all the players are very keen for a new stadium.... except of course for Oldfield... :doubt:
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Billy Walker wrote:I'm hearing all the players are very keen for a new stadium.... except of course for Oldfield... :doubt:
ImageImageImage

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:I'm hearing all the players are very keen for a new stadium.... except of course for Oldfield... :doubt:
Yep. We need to poach Bruce Newfield from Illawarra Cutters, but not Craig Field from Pentridge Soap Benders.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Billy Walker wrote: July 19, 2018, 4:49 pm I'm hearing all the players are very keen for a new stadium.... except of course for Oldfield... :doubt:
Very good.

You will be missed next year.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Well, looks as though we can put this on ice.

I just heard on the ABC that the A-League has decided to go full-Dave Gallop and instead of opening new markets, will be putting third teams in Melbourne and Sydney. How that guy keeps being made head of sports organisations is baffling to me. He's absolutely **** terrified to do anything to grow the game - anyone could see that the two best choices if you wanted community based support, untapped grassroots and genuine opportunities to grow the game would have been Wollongong and Canberra. He instead chooses to split existing fan bases.

No doubt we can expect an announcement from Barr saying that a new stadium is impossible without an A-League franchise and that Manuka needs $90 million dollars worth of upgrades to ensure a pre-season VFL game can be locked down.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah it's a crazy decision. They'll have a team at Parramatta and the new one at Campbelltown. WSW haven't been travelling that great recently so it's such a bone headed decision. I'm not familiar with the zoning of the Melbourne teams but again do they really need 3?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Why does A-League need new teams at all? It seems to be struggling to me.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

It’s definitely struggling, and the addition of any Sydney and Melbourne team will do little to generate further interest.

'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

edwahu wrote: December 13, 2018, 10:50 am Why does A-League need new teams at all? It seems to be struggling to me.
Fox Sports wanted an extra game each round.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I follow the A League a bit but we've seen all this before (with Gallop at the helm as Timbo pointed out). We have a scenario where a sport that should be financially sound is desperate for money and prepared to sell its soul for 5 bucks to let it be run by media companies, mainly News Ltd. The Chairman said that this is what they specifically wanted so what a surprise that this is the outcome we've gotten. All the arguments about diluting fan bases in Sydney and Melbourne were completely ignored because apparently Foxtel wanted more derbies. It won't work and diluting fan bases will result in lower crowds for those now hyped games in the name of television rather than people actually at the game....I dunno where i've seen all this before!

As an aside I did a bit of growing up on the Central Coast so i've always followed the Mariners in the A League. Had Canberra gotten in I would have followed them of course as i've lived there most my life and have some roots in the local game in Canberra having played in various levels of comps here for almost 30 years now. The region produces some unreal players and has a great history in that respect so an A League club would be a good pathway. BUT what I try to explain to people is that whilst the sport might have the highest participation in Canberra and be well liked in Canberra, that doesn't translate to crowds and support. I was a Canberra Cosmos season ticket holder in the old NSL days for many years and more often than not less than 3000 of us were out there either at Bruce or Seiffert supporting the team. I completely understand that now it is a competition that doesn't compete with the Winter sports for the most part, but half of Canberra is gone during the hot weather anyway (especially January) so it would be hard for it to generate a regular fan base out there to get behind it. On topic (finally) a new rectangle indoor stadium in the city would help that a bit though.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The bid received 8000 membership undertakings. If 90% of them followed through that's a lot more than 3000 people.

FWIW I think it would have been a success and according to some articles I have read there is a small chance the Wellington side could be punted in favour of Canberra when the Phoenix's license comes up.