Josh Papalii selected for Maroons in Origin I

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Josh Papalii selected for Maroons in Origin I

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Josh Papalii firms for State of Origin call-up

Josh Papalii faces an anxious wait with Kevin Walters set to name his Queensland squad on Monday, in preparation for the State of Origin series opener.

"I’m just enjoying my footy and I’m just happy to be playing week in, week out for the boys," Papalii said. "I’m not too worried about [State of Origin selection]. I’m just going to soak this win in and whatever happens, happens. That’s on Monday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zgjz.html
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Re: Canberra Raiders selected for Origin I

Post by Ilanraiders »

Papa and Cotric deserve selection
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If Cotric misses Freddy is having a dead set lend...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He has already stated that Cordner will be selected so it's anybody's guess who will be named.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: Canberra Raiders for Origin I

Post by raiderskater »

Papalii and Cotric absolutely deserve it.

But we know that Cotric probably won't get picked - this is NSW's selections we're talking about. Cotric doesn't have enough criminal charges/drug charges/sexual assault charges/judiciary visits to qualify for the Blues. He just wouldn't fit in with team culture.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Papalii and Cotric both should get picked. Would not suprise me if Cotric missed out though. It will either be him or T. Trbojevic on the right wing with Addo-Carr on the left. My teams pending fitness/suspension would be;

QLD - Slater, Holmes, Inglis (c), Chambers, Gagai, Munster, Hunt, Scott, McCullough, Napa, Papalii, Kaufusi, McGuire - Morgan, Wallace, Arrow, Oates. 18th man Hess.

NSW - Tedesco, Cotric, Mitchell, Aitken, Addo-Carr, Maloney, Cleary, Klemmer, Cook, De Bellin, Cordner (c), Frizell, J. Trbojevic - Peachey, Graham, Campbell-Gillard, Vaughan. 18th man Jackson.

Pains me to say it as a proud QLD'er but the NSW squad is going to be real tough to beat.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Freddy will want Tom Trbojevic there somewhere

He’s either on the wing (in place of Cotric), or in the right centre position

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Dusty wrote: May 26, 2018, 8:54 pm Freddy will want Tom Trbojevic there somewhere

He’s either on the wing (in place of Cotric), or in the right centre position

I rate T. Trbojevic so wouldn't argue if they found a spot for him on the wing. Not sure picking him at centre to mark GI would be wise though.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Both should be there but Cotric has a lot of competition.

I wonder if a few less Dragons will make it now they have lost to the rest of the top 4.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Cotric will have to wait i reckon...
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I’m going to mention BJ. I think he could be a Smokey for a centre spot. Freddy is looking for strike out wide this year
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

More than happy to have no Raiders make Origin.

I know that's selfish but for me Club footy is more important than having my state win a few games.

Does anyone outside some blustery washed up Courier Mail old mates actually give an **** about Origin?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Sossman wrote: May 27, 2018, 1:31 pm More than happy to have no Raiders make Origin.

I know that's selfish but for me Club footy is more important than having my state win a few games.

Does anyone outside some blustery washed up Courier Mail old mates actually give an **** about Origin?

I would say that the fact it's considered the pinnacle of rugby league, players often strive more to play Origin rather than for their country, and it's the top rating television show every year with even non-league fans watching it, yes. People give a ****.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Finchy wrote:
Sossman wrote: May 27, 2018, 1:31 pm More than happy to have no Raiders make Origin.

I would say that the fact it's considered the pinnacle of rugby league, players often strive more to play Origin rather than for their country, and it's the top rating television show every year with even non-league fans watching it, yes. People give a ****.
Yes I do, more so than ever being a Raiders supporter. It gives us a chance to support a side that can win
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

I'm always torn in two on this argument.

On the plus side, if they don't play Origin, they don't get hurt playing Origin, and I can watch the game without anxiously looking for our players and making sure they get back up.

But it's obviously a huge honour and a massive recognition of their talent and I really want that for them. I know it means a lot to the players to be picked. So I want that for them.

And it'd be nice to actually have a Blues team I kinda want to support instead of just the Blues Boys Club of undroppable criminals, thugs, druggies, sexual assaulters, etc.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Freddy will make NSW great again
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Nope,

Origin is nothing more than some midweek filler and a chance to troll QLDers on twitter.

Watching it depends on what the Masterchef team challenge is.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

They just put up the predicted team on the Matty Johns show and whoever picked that would rather have Trbo out of position than Cotric.

*head meet desk*

THIS IS WHY YOU ****ING LOSE NSW.

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Cotric has at least made the extended squad:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/27/nat ... nsw-blues/
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

raiderskater wrote: May 27, 2018, 6:25 pm They just put up the predicted team on the Matty Johns show and whoever picked that would rather have Trbo out of position than Cotric.

*head meet desk*

I reckon thats the best NSW have looked in over a decade... Cotric was always going to be overlooked, his time will come.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Jack De Belin on the bench? U fckn wot freddie m8??

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Really don’t like that turnstile centre pairing 🤦🏿‍♂️
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Roberts, Mitchell, Addo-Carr and a fullback playing outside backs for NSW.

I’d have more trust in BJ and Austin out there

Inglis and Co are going to tear them to shreds
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

TongueFTW wrote: May 27, 2018, 6:35 pm Cotric has at least made the extended squad:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/27/nat ... nsw-blues/
That isn’t the team.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s the leaked squad. Chances are it’s right.

Cotric in 20 is the pits. They better let him back up and play for us if he won’t be saving the blues’ arses.

Looks like I’m supporting Qld again this year. 1 raider to 0.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

It's the picking players out of position that kills me. Every time. They never ****ing learn.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They should tell NSW, Cotric isn’t available for “20th man”. NSW is a disgrace.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:They should tell NSW, Cotric isn’t available for “20th man”. NSW is a disgrace.
Because he wasn't picked in the actual squad, or because they picked an extended squad?
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:They should tell NSW, Cotric isn’t available for “20th man”. NSW is a disgrace.
Because he wasn't picked in the actual squad, or because they picked an extended squad?
Both of these things.

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Some saltiness here.
Doesn’t Cotric get picked out of position every week? He’s a fullback/centre isn’t he?

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Raiders666 wrote: May 27, 2018, 8:30 pm
raiderskater wrote: May 27, 2018, 6:25 pm They just put up the predicted team on the Matty Johns show and whoever picked that would rather have Trbo out of position than Cotric.

*head meet desk*

I reckon thats the best NSW have looked in over a decade... Cotric was always going to be overlooked, his time will come.
Agreed, that's an awesome team. Every player in that backline deserves their shot as much if not more than Cotric as well. If that's the team there will be no complaints from me.

As far as the players out of position argument goes...well Queensland do it every year so I'm not sure where the logic that it causes series losses comes from :hmmm there is no shortage of players in the NRL who are capable of swapping between fullback, wing and centre if needed.

If Cotric is 20th man he is 20th man, I'll be stoked for the kid and hope he gets to be able to have some valuable time in camp and training with the squad, would be an awesome experience for him and anyone wanting to take that away from him is extremely selfish IMO
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Queensland are a disgrace ...They didn't pick Ponga
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Why? We have a bye, the kid is only 19, good experience for him to be in and around training.

In Ricky We Trust
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Brew wrote:
Why? We have a bye, the kid is only 19, good experience for him to be in and around training.

Thats what i reckon, he isnt carrying injury nor needs to be extra motivated to train

As long as you can trust freddy to keep the riff raff in line great experience for him and low risk

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

gangrenous wrote: May 27, 2018, 9:46 pm It’s the leaked squad. Chances are it’s right.

Cotric in 20 is the pits. They better let him back up and play for us if he won’t be saving the blues’ arses.

Looks like I’m supporting Qld again this year. 1 raider to 0.
Ricky will say that he hasn’t trained all week with the team and doesn’t know our structures - Oldfield in it is