Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles
Friday 25 May 6:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 4:45pm
Katrina Fanning Shield: Valley Dragons V Goulburn 8:10pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Mostly sunny. Patchy fog in the early morning. Sunny day. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent. Min 3 Max 17

Round 11 2018. St George Illawarra Dragons 25 - Canberra Raiders 18. It was frustrating. Intensely frustrating. The Raiders and Dragons both scored three tries at Mudgee's Glen Willow Stadium on a perfect autumn Sunday afternoon. But it was again a case of the Raiders making critical errors, conceding too many penalties at just the wrong time, which cost them the match. The Dragons, meanwhile, were simply too professional.

2018 Round 11 Canberra Raiders V St George Illawarra Dragons

More on Round 11: As I saw it

The Raiders return home to face the Manly Sea Eagles in Round 12. Raiders forward Joe Tapine has been suspended for two weeks, after being cited for a shoulder charge in the match against the Dragons. Josh Papalii moves to the second row, with Sia Soliola taking over at lock. Dunamis Lui will start at prop, in place of Soliola, while Shannon Boyd takes over from Charlie Gubb up front. Gubb drops back to the bench, while Liam Knight moves into the top 17.

For the Sea Eagles, Jorge Taufua (broken collarbone) returns to the field in place of Matt Wright on the wing, who drops to the bench. Trent Hodkinson replaces Dylan Walker (broken eye socket) at five eighth, while Lewis Brown will start at hooker in place of the suspended Api Koroisau.

Late changes: Two players will drop out of the 21 man squads on Thursday evening, and a further two one hour before the match. We'll have an update on Thursday.

History: The Raiders have won just 20 of 54 games against the Manly Sea Eagles, and drawn one. Since late 2004, the Raiders have won just five of 21 contests, and only three of the past 10. The Raiders lost both matches in 2017 in golden point - 20-18 at Canberra Stadium and 21-20 at Brookvale. Canberra also lost the Round 4 match played this year at Brookvale, 32-16. Canberra Stadium holds no fear for the Sea Eagles, with Canberra winning six of the 15 matches played at the venue. The Raiders have won just once in Canberra against Manly since 2004 - the 30-18 victory of 2016.

2018 Round 4 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2017 Round 13 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2017 Round 8 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2016 Round 25 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2016 Round 13 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

In this week's "History Happens", we go back to the minor semi final of 1991, with the Raiders aiming for three premierships in a row. They would not quite make that, but they did run out big winners in this match, 46-12, with forward Gary Coyne scoring four tries.

1991 Minor semi final Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

Form: The Raiders have a LWWLL form line in their past five matches, while the Sea Eagles have a LLLWW record. After defeating the Raiders in Round 4 at Brookvale Oval, Manly suffered a five game losing streak. However they have now beaten the Broncos (38-24) and the Storm (24-4) in their past two outings.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.67 favourites in this match, while the Sea Eagles are paying $2.25. The Sea Eagles have 3.5 points start in the line betting. The Raiders’ odds have shortened during the week.

Stat attack: It is a battle between 11th (Raiders) and 12th (Sea Eagles) on the competition ladder. Both have a 4 and 7 record to start the season, and are barely separated by points differential (Raiders 0, Sea Eagles -5).

Both teams are averaging 22 points and four tries scored per match, while the Raiders have a slightly better defensive record. Canberra has conceded an average of 22 points per match, the Sea Eagles 23.

The Sea Eagles have a slight advantage in average running metres (Sea Eagles 1496m, Raiders 1430m per match) and offloads (Sea Eagles 12, Raiders 11 per match). The Raiders average more line breaks (Raiders 5, Sea Eagles 4 per match) and kicking metres (Raiders 385m, Sea Eagles 341m per match). The Raiders also have a slightly better completion rate than the Sea Eagles (75 per cent compared with 74 per cent for Manly) and average slightly fewer errors (Raiders 10 per match, Sea Eagles 11). The Sea Eagles, however, concede slightly fewer penalties than Canberra (Sea Eagles 9, Raiders 10 conceded per match).

There is not much difference between the teams in tackles made (Raiders 340, Sea Eagles 333) and tackles missed (Raiders 31, Sea Eagles 30) per match either.

Our tip: The numbers point to a very even contest... but given the recent form of the two teams, and the Raiders' history against the Sea Eagles, it is surprising that the Raiders have been installed as favourites in the match. Both teams will be desperate to win, given a 4 and 8 record at the halfway point of the season will make it difficult to qualify for the top eight.

I hope the Raiders can win, but I can't tip them, given the performances in the last two games. The Raiders forwards have not laid the platform needed - and they're weakened by injury and suspension in this game. In addition, the play makers have been far too inconsistent. If the Raiders are to win, the forwards really need to step up and give the halves more time and room to make their plays. But the head says this will be Manly in a close one. Sea Eagles by six.

What they're saying:

Ricky Stuart: "We’ve now got two of our key forwards out and it puts a lot of pressure on our other players. I’m looking for my other front-rowers now to really stand up and take some extra workload. Joey, Junior, along with Josh Hodgson leaves a huge hole. We’ll take a little bit of the weight of that now and play against a very in-form Manly team."

Canberra Raiders

1 Jack Wighton, 2 Nick Cotric, 3 Jarrod Croker (c), 4 Joseph Leilua, 5 Jordan Rapana, 6 Blake Austin, 7 Aidan Sezer, 8 Dunamis Lui, 9 Siliva Havili, 10 Shannon Boyd, 11 Josh Papalii, 12 Elliott Whitehead, 13 Iosia Soliola

14 Ata Hingano, 15 Luke Bateman, 16 Charlie Gubb, 17 Liam Knight
18 Emre Guler, 19 Michael Oldfield

Manly Sea Eagles

1 Tom Trbojevic, 2 Jorge Taufua, 3 Moses Suli, 4 Brian Kelly, 5 Akuila Uate, 6 Trent Hodkinson, 7 Daly Cherry-Evans (c), 8 Addin Fonua-Blake, 9 Lewis Brown, 10 Martin Taupau, 11 Joel Thompson, 12 Shaun Lane, 13 Jake Trbojevic

14 Matthew Wright, 15 Frank Winterstein, 16 Lloyd Perrett, 17 Toafofoa Sipley
18 Thomas Wright, 20 Jack Gosiewski

Officials:

Referees: Chris Butler, Alan Shortall
Sideline Officials: Jeff Younis, Tim Roby
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersManly

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: 2018 Rd 12 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Lucky »

:lol: Favourites??? Seriously, you cant make this stuff up....

Eagles are coming off back to back comprehensive wins against 2 VERY good opposition. We, on the other hand, are the only team after 11 rounds yet to beat a top8 side....
Eagles have strike all over the park.... the Troboyovich brothers, DCE, Marty Tapow etc etc
The only positive I can think of is that we dont have to worry about Ape Korisow carving us up from dummy half and that grubby prick Walker sledging us into submission.

Predicting turbo tom to run for 250 meters and score 2 tries.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Preview updated for squads, weather, odds: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32804&p=1593390#p1593390
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!! Go the Raiders!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

We just cannot beat this ugly mob.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Game day! Gotta get through a day of work then heading straight to the game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

It's hard enough to win any game in the NRL but when your coach deliberately doesn't select the best available 17 it is just that much harder! The stink of defeatism permeates this side. They are so accustom to falling apart in the last 20 mins that it has become a self-fulling prophecy. I'll be out there hoping the forwards hold their own so the halves can build a lead and close it out against, what looks on paper, to be a better side.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like the team went into “camp” last night. Must win.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

The raiders are the best in the business when it comes to making plodders look like immortals.... with that being said, expect Uate and Brown to tear us a new one.
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Anyone know where I can watch the game in Hobart?

Have bought a bottle of tassie’s finest whisky to celebrate/drown my sorrows after.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

6pm kickoff at Bruce, with the form we're in this could be a pretty dire crowd.

Hopeful of getting out of the office on time and being in my local with a schooey for kick off. Not hopeful of winning this football match.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

GreenGirl wrote: May 25, 2018, 11:11 am Anyone know where I can watch the game in Hobart?

Have bought a bottle of tassie’s finest whisky to celebrate/drown my sorrows after.
2 years ago I was using the telstra app to watch games, i think its $2 a week or something quite reasonable, the quality was fine but there was limitations on the screen size you could watch, about the size of a iphone 6 screen approx

Annoying at first but still very watchable. Enjoy the whisky as we triumph tonight !!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

GreenGirl wrote: May 25, 2018, 11:11 am Anyone know where I can watch the game in Hobart?

- NRL app with a trial but that has no casting so small screen only
- If you have foxtel at home, you can get the foxtel app
- You can get a WatchNRL.com trial for 2 weeks and use a VPN to access it
- If you don't mind going to a pub and can wait to drink you own whiskey then http://www.gameonlivesports.com.au
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

Sullivan's Cove Double Cask? That stuff tastes like EDIT. It is unbelievable.
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson

Post by GreenGirl »

edwahu wrote: May 25, 2018, 1:59 pm

- If you don't mind going to a pub and can wait to drink you own whiskey then http://www.gameonlivesports.com.au
Thanks for that website - found a place just on it just around the corner from where we are staying.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day, well this is it, a four point game against a Manly team with 2 of its spine out and sitting below us on the table AND old boys night!
If Ricky cant get these blokes up gor this well.................
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Well..this game is it.

If we lose this tonight I'm righting us off.

This is must win..

Get it done boys.

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson

Post by GreenGirl »

jozzas wrote: May 25, 2018, 2:23 pm

Sullivan's Cove Double Cask? That stuff tastes like EDIT. It is unbelievable.
Just did a tasting there this afternoon, wasn’t too much of a fan, but their whisky cream was delicious! I prefer a peaty whisky.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

edwahu wrote:

foxtel go thru the xbox couldn't watch nrl but most of the other channels.
Foxtel app on a tablet but no casting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight’s NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Manly Sea Eagles. Both teams are 1-17:

Canberra Raiders

1 Jack Wighton, 2 Nick Cotric, 3 Jarrod Croker (c), 4 Joseph Leilua, 5 Jordan Rapana, 6 Blake Austin, 7 Aidan Sezer, 8 Dunamis Lui, 9 Siliva Havili, 10 Shannon Boyd, 11 Josh Papalii, 12 Elliott Whitehead, 13 Iosia Soliola

14 Ata Hingano, 15 Luke Bateman, 16 Charlie Gubb, 17 Liam Knight

Manly Sea Eagles

1 Tom Trbojevic, 2 Jorge Taufua, 3 Moses Suli, 4 Brian Kelly, 5 Akuila Uate, 6 Trent Hodkinson, 7 Daly Cherry-Evans (c), 8 Addin Fonua-Blake, 9 Lewis Brown, 10 Martin Taupau, 11 Joel Thompson, 12 Shaun Lane, 13 Jake Trbojevic

14 Matthew Wright, 15 Frank Winterstein, 16 Lloyd Perrett, 17 Toafofoa Sipley
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

With the Trbojevic brother, DCE and Kapow you can never underestimate Manly. Outside those guys there is a stack of ploders though.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Got out on time! It’s a good sign for things to come

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

The Trbojevic boys will rip us a new one as usual but I'm tipping a win in this one

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Raiders stacked with plodders in the most important positions.

I'll take Manly's guns over our plodders in the spine any day of the week.

Raiders favourites is rather embarrassing, the other fact we have Ricky as our coach probably gives Manly a 6 point head start before the game even begins.
WorkChoice
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Mark Gasnier on fire in the pre game show.

Apparently the bloke wearing #8 tonight is Issac Lu.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

From what I've seen I'm hoping a lot of people are in the bar.. looks pretty sparse
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

I want to see that our Supercoach has actually done some work on his opposition this week and let’s see some action.

1 reason we struggle so much against Manly recently is that their 3 biggest strengths are our 3 biggest weaknesses.

Manly strengths are:
1) Taupau offloading
2) Tom Turbo being a creative extra man playmaker in the outside backs
3) Cherry Evans kicking game.

Our biggest weaknesses are:

1) Inabaility to stop 2nd phrase play
2) someone inevitably doing a panic move in the outside backs when defending our line
3) Nil line speed allows to teams to roll up the field and allows oposition halfbacks time to have a picnic when they have the ball in hand to roll it into the in-goal area hence lopsided possession accounts against us.

Come on Supercoach - why don’t you finally do something about this !!!

Go Raiders - I’ve changed my tip to them again in the last hr as I always do - c’mon boys
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

I'm in a crap mood tonight..

Excuse my possible cynicism and criticism
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Turn on the TV and Brandy and Corey Parker are staring me in the face. Bad start to the game.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: May 25, 2018, 5:28 pm With the Trbojevic brother, DCE and Kapow you can never underestimate Manly. Outside those guys there is a stack of ploders though.
So which plodder are we going to make into a super star tonight. In all seriousness is a genuine problem we see regarding the Raiders, basically 1 player stands up and we can't handle it. I'll repeat 1 player, Matt Pryor last year was a perfect example.
WorkChoice
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Yeah I can't get into a 6pm Friday game. Just wrong.

Bet we get done in typical raiders fashion.
I'm not sensing a win.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

edwahu wrote: May 25, 2018, 5:55 pm Turn on the TV and Brandy and Corey Parker are staring me in the face. Bad start to the game.
Couldn't get any worse.

Raiders fans love Brandy A.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Tonight's ploder to shine is Fonua Blake, or Frankenstein.

*edit. Damn spell thing changed that, but you know what I mean *

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

Viking Clap is over... Jarrod Croker kicks off!
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

dubby wrote: May 25, 2018, 5:58 pm Tonight's ploder to shine is Fonua Blake, or Frankenstein.

*edit. Damn spell thing changed that, but you know what I mean *

Give me Lewis Brown to PLOD up tonight.
WorkChoice