We need a halves coach

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

We need a halves coach

Post by FROG »

Why don't we have a halves coach? Heaps of teams do. Stuart clearly needs help. The Johns' boys play an active role at a number of clubs. we should get someone to work with them to teach them how to close out matches.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: We need a halves coach

Post by gangrenous »

You don’t want someone like Johns talking to these guys. You need someone with a brain who can teach strategy.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

we need a halves
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

gangrenous wrote: May 23, 2018, 8:27 am You don’t want someone like Johns talking to these guys. You need someone with a brain who can teach strategy.
Agree, especially with Andrew Johns, absolute plonker, sounds so false with his analysis.

Sterlo?
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Halves coach?? We need a coach first...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Could split this heading into 2 topics. Need halves. Need coach.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Johno wrote: May 23, 2018, 12:12 pm
gangrenous wrote: May 23, 2018, 8:27 am You don’t want someone like Johns talking to these guys. You need someone with a brain who can teach strategy.
Agree, especially with Andrew Johns, absolute plonker, sounds so false with his analysis.

Sterlo?
Lol, I love how you followed up that first sentence by suggesting Sterlo. You realise you're talking about the same guy that went on the record saying that McCrone could play Origin for NSW, right?
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

If they can't find anyone else I'm willing to give it a crack.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

We need halves and coach

Fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Joey is the best player to read the game I've ever seen, doesn't seem to be able to convey though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Raider Azz wrote:
Johno wrote: May 23, 2018, 12:12 pm

Sterlo?
Lol, I love how you followed up that first sentence by suggesting Sterlo. You realise you're talking about the same guy that went on the record saying that McCrone could play Origin for NSW, right?
Well in both of there defense McCrone could play for NSW, that’s not to say he’d do it very well.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I remember there was this period where Mark Mclinden's form exploded. He revealed afterwards that he was working with Matthew Johns. M Johns is currently employed at the rabbits and has previously spent time at the storm. I guess the point I'm making is. If we accept we are stuck with stick and sezer for the foreseeable future then the club should seriously consider employing a halves coach. We know that stick struggles to get the most out of halves so why doesnt the club do it. Seems ludicrous
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Where is Brett Kimmorley these days. He would be good option
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

LastRaider wrote:Where is Brett Kimmorley these days. He would be good option
gold

Edrick The Entertainer
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

This is an easy one. Get Neil Henry. Out of a job and the one thing we can agree on is he knows how to get the best out of halves.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Raidernation wrote: May 23, 2018, 6:51 pm This is an easy one. Get Neil Henry. Out of a job and the one thing we can agree on is he knows how to get the best out of halves.
Not a bad idea this. And he did say a while back that leaving the Raiders as he did was a massive mistake
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Is it even possible to ****?
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

A halves coach isn’t going to make a difference to this team unless we actually start playing with some structure and strategy when we have the ball.

Numerous times when we start a set of 6 in the opposition 30 meters we have absolutely no plan.

We have players kicking on the 2nd/3rd to no one. We have a hooker taking a hit up from dummy half 15 meters out and then we have a lumbering prop at hooker. We have our center running 20 meters back in field from the sideline and out of play for the remainder of the attacking set. We get our fullback to slide across field and cram his outside men with no space (he has been better at this lately though), we get tackled on the sideline on the 4th consistently and pass 2 slow lobbing passes from our center and 2nd row to our halves for a kick.

Good teams have their number 9 at all the play the balls and every player knowing exactly who and what is about to happen. They direct specific traffic at certain defensive players to draw the opposition players and their fullback out of position for follow up plays. They work towards isolating and dissecting oppositions defences, they put their halves in the best positions possible for an attacking kick and repeat set.

You can blame our halves all you want (and I’m not certainly defending them) - but until we stop all the Inmates going GI Joe and doing what they want and being accountable for it, and we actually have a coach develop some sort of attacking structure - we are wasting our time.

What the hell do we do practice at Training ? The attack and plays we see out their surely can not honestly be in any coaching manual ?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Do you reckon a coach who told our halves they were the owners of these problems might be a start?

I personally agree with Frog.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Only the Dragons and Rabbitohs have scored more tries than us going into this round. They have scored 45 each and we have scored 40. (Source: Big League magazine). We don't need a halves coach anywhere near like we need a defensive coach. We have had 38 tries scored against us and even the bottom of the ladder Parramatta have had only 37 tries scored against. We have the 12th worst record in terms of tries scored against us.

So there you have it clear as day. We are a top four attacking side and a very lowly ranked defensive side. Which is the greater contributor to our current 11th place on the competition ladder? Yes our attack and game management can be improved. But the improvement in this area pales in comparison with the improvement needed in defence. If we are to be a genuine contender we need to be stronger in defence.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:Only the Dragons and Rabbitohs have scored more tries than us going into this round. They have scored 45 each and we have scored 40. (Source: Big League magazine). We don't need a halves coach anywhere near like we need a defensive coach. We have had 38 tries scored against us and even the bottom of the ladder Parramatta have had only 37 tries scored against. We have the 12th worst record in terms of tries scored against us.

So there you have it clear as day. We are a top four attacking side and a very lowly ranked defensive side. Which is the greater contributor to our current 11th place on the competition ladder? Yes our attack and game management can be improved. But the improvement in this area pales in comparison with the improvement needed in defence. If we are to be a genuine contender we need to be stronger in defence.
Red, I think both our attack and defence need work - each are putting the other under pressure.
We aren't getting into good area's for our end of set options which forces a poor kick thus placing excess pressure on our chase and early set defence allowing the opposition to get us rolling backwards.
Where do we start? IMO it's the halves and tackle 4/5 control.

Edrick The Entertainer
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We can score points, until it's time to score them to kill the game off.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 24, 2018, 11:32 pm Do you reckon a coach who told our halves they were the owners of these problems might be a start?

I personally agree with Frog.
I’m not disagreeing that we do need a halves coach, I’m just saying the problem stems from above them.

What does our coaching staff do in video review sessions ? What strategies does the head coach and attacking coach devise each week to isolate and attack oppositions weaknesses ?

WHAT ON EARTH do we actually practice at training ?

You can stick Andrew ******* John’s in the number 7 but he ain’t doing nothing for this team as long as he is always kicking on the 5th 2 forward passes wide from the sideline :nooo
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I reckon 6 game Raiders legend Matt Awfull could be handy.

Let's find out what he's doing these days.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

-PJ- wrote: May 25, 2018, 3:56 pm I reckon 6 game Raiders legend Matt Awfull could be handy.

Let's find out what he's doing these days.
Alwoods Job on Inglis some 5 odd years ago is the only piece of Ricky Stuart tactical smarts I’ve ever seen in this side

Outside of Paulo to 5/8 of course
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: May 25, 2018, 9:53 am
RedRaider wrote:Only the Dragons and Rabbitohs have scored more tries than us going into this round. They have scored 45 each and we have scored 40. (Source: Big League magazine). We don't need a halves coach anywhere near like we need a defensive coach. We have had 38 tries scored against us and even the bottom of the ladder Parramatta have had only 37 tries scored against. We have the 12th worst record in terms of tries scored against us.

Red, I think both our attack and defence need work - each are putting the other under pressure.
We aren't getting into good area's for our end of set options which forces a poor kick thus placing excess pressure on our chase and early set defence allowing the opposition to get us rolling backwards.

Hey Boney, how are you doing. It doesn't matter where the opposition get the ball they seem to be able to get down our end all too easily in a single set. There is so little defensive pressure, consistently applied by us. We have even tried running on the last tackle and being taken down a couple of metres out from the opposition line. It is the perfect opportunity to get into the tackles in numbers and drive the ball carrier back. All too often we dawdle up to the ball carrier and allow them plenty of 'post contact' meters. No one fears us when we don't have the ball. Some sides are confident that giving away a penalty and playing with strong defence will result in the opposition wilting under pressure and giving up the footy. Opposition sides always feel they are in the game against us because they can make so many meters so easily. There were some very soft tries scored against us again tonight.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

luke wrote: May 23, 2018, 10:00 am we need a halves
:lol:
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

We need to get Goey Johns as our halves coach and Steve Menzies as our defensive coach.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:
bonehead wrote: May 25, 2018, 9:53 am

Hey Boney, how are you doing. It doesn't matter where the opposition get the ball they seem to be able to get down our end all too easily in a single set. There is so little defensive pressure, consistently applied by us. We have even tried running on the last tackle and being taken down a couple of metres out from the opposition line. It is the perfect opportunity to get into the tackles in numbers and drive the ball carrier back. All too often we dawdle up to the ball carrier and allow them plenty of 'post contact' meters. No one fears us when we don't have the ball. Some sides are confident that giving away a penalty and playing with strong defence will result in the opposition wilting under pressure and giving up the footy. Opposition sides always feel they are in the game against us because they can make so many meters so easily. There were some very soft tries scored against us again tonight.
I just think it's hand in glove stuff Red, Wasting energy in frantic play mainly with the ball in hand.
Hook Griffin was on 2ky Sunday show, they asked how the team with the most missed tackles in 2017 added the worst offender for missed tackles in the nrl and became the best defensive team in the comp? His answer was composure in attack, structures from his halves guiding their attack to put the opposition in areas they wanted them. Stopping stupid pushed passes and maintaining 50% possession which in turn put more energy into their line speed and contact.

Edrick The Entertainer
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

I know, I know you shouldn't judge a player from supercoach.

I just checked the value of our halves, we **** stink. I mean not just stink but toxic waste dump stink.

This must stats wise be the worst halves combos ever...and we're looking at extending them both.
WorkChoice
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's a good indication of where they're at

And noone owns either of them, and if they do they're mainly bench cover
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

LP Raider wrote: June 6, 2018, 7:07 pm I know, I know you shouldn't judge a player from supercoach.

I just checked the value of our halves, we **** stink. I mean not just stink but toxic waste dump stink.

This must stats wise be the worst halves combos ever...and we're looking at extending them both.
The SuperCoach scores of halves and fullbacks have generally been a really good indication of talents more so than any other positions in SuperCoach as they primarily score points relative to their specific role - instead of easy junk points such as tackles.

The only decent halves of the SuperCoach era who haven’t scored “relatively” well have been Cronk and Lockyer, and Darius Boyd in the fullback role - it’s a pretty good strike rate.

Sezer was actually considered as a “gun” in his Titians days. Admittedly he did have goalkicking to boost his average back then but by memory he was a 60 average player (or somewhere around there)
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

scotchberry wrote: June 9, 2018, 4:50 pm
LP Raider wrote: June 6, 2018, 7:07 pm I know, I know you shouldn't judge a player from supercoach.

The SuperCoach scores of halves and fullbacks have generally been a really good indication of talents more so than any other positions in SuperCoach as they primarily score points relative to their specific role - instead of easy junk points such as tackles.

The only decent halves of the SuperCoach era who haven’t scored “relatively” well have been Cronk and Lockyer, and Darius Boyd in the fullback role - it’s a pretty good strike rate.

Sezer was actually considered as a “gun” in his Titians days. Admittedly he did have goalkicking to boost his average back then but by memory he was a 60 average player (or somewhere around there)
Sezer was good at the Titans, I haven't seen a player digress as much as Sezer has.
WorkChoice
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

We need a lot more than a ‘halves coach’
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Forget a Halves coach, I’d settle for half a coach at the moment.