Canberra Raiders to sign Bateman and Sutton

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra to sign English duo

The Canberra Raiders are closing in on signing English forward-pair John Bateman and Ryan Sutton.

It is believed the Raiders will play a transfer free for Bateman, who has played 12 Tests for England. Young front-rower Sutton is off-contract.

Read more: https://www.insidesport.com.au/news/can ... duo-491391
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Canberra Raiders to sign Bateman and Sutton

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Can’t have too many Batemans

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

I really don’t see where a John Bateman fits in ?

A 12 test player doesn’t move clubs let alone move halfway accross the world unless he is starting.

Does this move guarantee that Papalii is now a prop ?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

scotchberry wrote: May 23, 2018, 7:42 am I really don’t see where a John Bateman fits in ?

A 12 test player doesn’t move clubs let alone move halfway accross the world unless he is starting.

I think Papalii will be at 13 for his remaining time in Canberra. Tapine will likely shift to prop if they deem John Bateman good enough to start in the second row. I hope we leave Whitehead in the second row, hate seeing our most creative edge forward simply turned into a grunt.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I wouldn’t be surprised if Papa is moved to prop - I think in the next few years most props will be his size anyway.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I think Papa will leave the club if that is the case. Probably why he hasn’t resigned
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

LastRaider wrote:I think Papa will leave the club if that is the case. Probably why he hasn’t resigned
he's said repeatedly over the last 3yrs he sees himself playing in the middle

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Wiki Special wrote: May 23, 2018, 8:15 am
I think Papalii will be at 13 for his remaining time in Canberra. Tapine will likely shift to prop if they deem John Bateman good enough to start in the second row. I hope we leave Whitehead in the second row, hate seeing our most creative edge forward simply turned into a grunt.
I'm with you 100% on Whitehead.
Silky hands, good passing game and runs good lines, he needs to be on the edge.
Tapine is a beast of a player, but his game suits the middle as much as the edge. He's more an offloader than someone to set up his outside men. Running lines isn't his strong point.

Only change is I'd have Papa to front row and Tapine to 13.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

LastRaider wrote: May 23, 2018, 8:41 am I think Papa will leave the club if that is the case. Probably why he hasn’t resigned
Have you ever said anything positive?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Wiki Special wrote: May 23, 2018, 8:15 am
scotchberry wrote: May 23, 2018, 7:42 am I really don’t see where a John Bateman fits in ?

Right edge attack is much less potent without Whitehead out there to get BJ the ball in space.
Blues87
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by Blues87 »

I don't understand the logic of the Bateman signing. He's a poor mans Whitehead. I thought we would be trying to sign an impact forward to come off the bench.
This may be a sign that Hodgson will be playing the full 80, and Bateman will be the guy on the bench who covers many positions. It would be criminal to put paps or Tapine into the front row. Our edges will not be very intimidating with Whitehead,John Bateman and Luke bateman in 13.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Wigan Warriors ace John Bateman set for NRL move

Wigan’s hopes of keeping John Bateman beyond the end of this season appear to be receding. The 24-year-old is expected to leave the club later this year to move to the NRL. No deal has been signed but Canberra have emerged as the early favourites for his signature.

Read more: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9172573

The local media in Wigan is reporting it's imminent it now.

I also struggle to see how he fits into the starting side but he would be a good bench player.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Papalii's been massive for us since shifting from the edge to lock, his game won't change whether he's wearing the 13 jersey or 8/10,
Whiteheads also been really good at times playing lock and has a massive motor suited to the workload of a middle, I

8. Soliola
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Bateman
12. Tapine
13. Whitehead

Nothing wrong with that starting pack
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I feel like Papalii needs to be playing middle for 80, which he can't do at prop.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Prop and lock are pretty much the same positions these days.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Props tend to play harder for shorter periods that's why they max out at 60 minutes a game with most down in the 40s and 50s. I think having Papalii consistently playing close to 80 high quality minutes in the middle like the last few weeks is better for us.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

edwahu wrote: May 23, 2018, 11:57 am Props tend to play harder for shorter periods that's why they max out at 60 minutes a game with most down in the 40s and 50s. I think having Papalii consistently playing close to 80 high quality minutes in the middle like the last few weeks is better for us.
The best props in the NRL play 60+ minutes. Fifita and Klemmer average 60 minutes a game, Ryan James and James Graham average 70. If the interchange goes down to 6 next year the days of 40 minute props will disappear. It is pretty obvious that is Ricky and the club's thinking - they didn't spend big money to keep Boyd or Paulo and now are now targeting smaller. more mobile forwards.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

There are lots of things that go into this...

1. Good chance interchange is going from 8 to 6, meaning even more focus on playing big minutes across the park. So, losing 2 behemoths may be a blessing (though I believe 1 big boppa on the bench, to be injected at the coaches discretion, could be a master stroke - NOT Ricky's strong point). Meaning more players playing 80mins - hooker and edge backrower's esp, maybe a lock too. Therefore, mobile/ smaller players required, esp in the starting side.

2. Prop and Lock are very similar positions these day. At the moment, plenty of clubs are treating it as a 3rd prop. Hence the push to look at forwards as middles or edge players. I think this will become even more important in years to come.

3. Papalii has said he believes his career progression is to the middle. Of our current crop of backrow options, Papa is the probably the first guy you would look at to play prop due to his physical size. Under the above interchange rules, he may become even more valuable. Look at Sia Soliola, we all saw him as a lock and he has played mostly prop this yr. Basically its just a number more than a position - refer back to middle vs edge forward. Id bet my last dollar, that if you put Taumalolo in jersey 8 or 10, his game/ performance wouldn't change at all.

4. Fitting those blokes in... 'Ricky has a plan' :P :lol: . The reality is, Tapine or Whitehead will probably need to move to the middle to accommodate a Bateman. Id pick Whitehead, because Tapine has been killing it on the edge, though I do like the point that BJ and Rapa have looked less dangerous without Whitey feeding them.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I just hope our intel on the reduced interchange isn't from the same people that gave us the scoop on what the salary cap would rise to...
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

kiwi raider wrote: May 23, 2018, 11:08 am Papalii's been massive for us since shifting from the edge to lock, his game won't change whether he's wearing the 13 jersey or 8/10,
Whiteheads also been really good at times playing lock and has a massive motor suited to the workload of a middle, I

8. Soliola
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Bateman
12. Tapine
13. Whitehead

Nothing wrong with that starting pack
I mean it's 4 internationals and an Origin player. I'd still like another starting prop that's capable of really pushing Soliola out of a spot. Gives us much better depth if we cop an injury / suspension.
That said if we can wrap up that pack; with Sezer dipping in form dramatically our halves situation next year requires the most attention. We don't want to end up locked into a few years of a Hingano / Sezer combination. We need to bring in a fresh player to shake it up.

With the storm locking up Munster we're really only left with taking a punt on Norman as a first grade half and even that would be a gamble given how unhappy he seems.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Why not play Whitehead at prop if its the same position as lock and mobility is the future?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Blues87 wrote: May 23, 2018, 10:46 am I don't understand the logic of the Bateman signing. He's a poor mans Whitehead. I thought we would be trying to sign an impact forward to come off the bench.
This may be a sign that Hodgson will be playing the full 80, and Bateman will be the guy on the bench who covers many positions. It would be criminal to put paps or Tapine into the front row. Our edges will not be very intimidating with Whitehead,John Bateman and Luke bateman in 13.
Just think back a couple of years ago though, Whitehead was a poor mans Whitehead at that point.

I dont think many people here expected to get the results out of him that we have.He was an English rep at that stage, but he has turned into one of our most effective and consistent players.He is so versatile he is the first one shifted to fill positions during a match, So far he has played second row on both sides, lock, both centres and five eighth.

Dont forget he has also recently been in a squad with Elliot, Hodgo, and played last year with Williams, so there is plenty of intel on him.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I think these could be good signings. Just a shame our halves are so rubbish.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Good signings if they come through.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

nanananananananananananana..Bateman.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

And Milner?)
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

sprintman wrote: May 23, 2018, 4:27 pm And Milner?)
Hopefully true but nothing yet on the Pommy forums or media since the mention on the weekend. Apparently the Eels and Tigers are also interested.

https://www.totalrl.com/castleford-will ... yl-powell/

I watched the game on saturday and I reckon he goes well, plays with real aggression and has great involvement. He reminds me of Nathan Brown and I could find a spot for him on the bench.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Add someone like terepo on top of these 2 and I reckon we've got a solid forward pack with decent depth.

8.terepo
9.hodgo
10.sia
11.tapine
12.whitehead
13.papa
14.havili
15.lui
16.sutton
17.j bateman
18.l bateman
19.gubb
20.knight
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

edwahu wrote: May 23, 2018, 3:48 pm Why not play Whitehead at prop if its the same position as lock and mobility is the future?
The line between prop and lock in some sides is non-existent, in others it is significant. It all depends on the cattle and the coach.

Bateman won't be cheap so I expect he'll line up on the edge with Whitehead or Tapine making the move to the middle.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

8. Soliola
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Whitehead
12. Tapine
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Lui
16. Sutton
17. Gubb / Knight

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Raiders666 wrote:
LastRaider wrote: May 23, 2018, 8:41 am I think Papa will leave the club if that is the case. Probably why he hasn’t resigned
Have you ever said anything positive?
Give me something to be positive about at the moment. Just calling it how I see it
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Can't really blame the mafia for looking at players from another country as they wouldn't know anything about Canberra or it's pathetic downward spiral, I mean someones to got make up the numbers on the field, so the club can sell merch, memberships etc etc etc.... Never heard of em.
This place is woke.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

I'd be excited for these signings, and the new direction we're going with our forward pack, if we didn't have a clueless coach. Closely followed by a dud set of halves.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Schifty wrote: May 23, 2018, 2:55 pm I just hope our intel on the reduced interchange isn't from the same people that gave us the scoop on what the salary cap would rise to...
The NRL. The only professional competition where you base your recruitment for next season on assumption of MAJOR rule changes.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Two things:

Gorski has written a great article,
https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/05/24/s ... dinosaurs/
backed up with actual facts (amazing eh?) on the front row contributions across the board this year. Read that and the generalisations sort of fall apart a bit (though I do believe Tim is overly confident that the interchange reduction will actually happen - I read something somewhere today, probably on the same site, where someone was quoted as saying that fatigue leads to injury, whereas I've seen similar arguments saying that fresh bench behemoths are also leading to injury - make up yer minds!)

And on the Matty Johns thing after the game tonight, they showed some idiot segment about a pre-match presenter. The graphic the presenter choked over was a Wigan team line-up. And at right center there was Bateman. Admittedly with a double-digit jersey number, but in the centres nonetheless. So maybe he's out new Jordan Turner.