Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Sezer close to re-signing

Post by FROG »

I agree pig. All 3 should go. We know stick won't go, but there is no reason why the other 2 can't. Both are off contract. I don't buy into there is no one better available. I'd rather run with hingano and Williams next year and go large in 2020 then to resign sezer for another 1 - 2 years of pain. I've personally defended him for 2.5 years but enough is enough. He is a very dumb footballer. Rapana is off in the bin, 1 min to go. We are planted on their try line and he throws it to whitehead on the 5th tackle.. surely any 1st grade half attempts to earn a repeat set so rapana can get back. Instead they score off the ensuing set of 6 and then we get schooled by widdop (of all players) on how to kick a field goal. Something I'm pretty sure sezer hasn't kicked, not Once!!, since joining the raiders
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont know if thewre is better options available, but the issue for me at this stage is any halves combination coached by this idiot needs to overcome a lot to be successful
The two we currently have, now have proven they cant overcome that. We can go back to the market and likely dont improve, but that hopefully hastens the idiots departure, with the upside of stumbling **** backwards into someone who CAN over come it

Time to throw another couple of darts at the board and see what sticks. Brambling, Croft, Lamb... i dont know, but we know these guys cant cut it. So persisting with either is a fools errand.

Let em both walk and go and get the best we can get. And keep swinging. That's all we can do.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I am in for losing Sezer. Been several years now and he throws up a good game every even year in round 5 against Canterbury. Austin can stay for less coin.

Bring in a half who is willing to work hard like Austin in '15.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
green eyebrow
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Tom Starling Elliot Whitehead

Post by green eyebrow »

Sam Williams must play next game.
Sezer, 2 pitiful passes he made at a crucial stage of the game.
They must be signing Sezer up on cheap money.
green eyebrow
Simon Woolford

Post by green eyebrow »

Maloney should have been signed up, even if he wanted big money.
He's on every week
lightning
Sam Backo

Post by lightning »

Get rid of them both. There is no excuse for an NRL half not being able to consistently kick the ball well.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Was having a discussion with someone recently regarding our 2016 form year with almost the same team we have now and the interesting point to note was that even in that year when we were on fire, our halves did nothing. If you look back at the records, I'm sure you'll find that even in 26 rounds, Sezer and Austin barely got a few player of the match points.

They've been given a free ride because of a strong pack around them but it would only take teams so long to understand how to overcome that without our halves providing any mystery to our strategy. I just don't understand how they still have this free ride even after 2.5 seasons of mediocrity (1.5 seasons being very obvious through team performance).
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think Sezer would be a very good 5/8 in a side that has a dominant halfback.

Unfortunately he's not up to being the #1.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Timbo wrote:I think Sezer would be a very good 5/8 in a side that has a dominant halfback.

Agreed, unfortunately we missed the quality halfback merry go round. Now we have to toss up between retaining our current stocks, going after someone like Brock Lamb or sending the GH into overdrive and signing Carney!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

What makes people think he would be a good 5/8th? He doesn't have a particularly good running game, he isn't creative and his passing and kicking are poor.
Sydney_Raider
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Sydney_Raider »

edwahu wrote: May 21, 2018, 12:42 pm What makes people think he would be a good 5/8th? He doesn't have a particularly good running game, he isn't creative and his passing and kicking are poor.
Spot on. Unfortunately we may have little choice than to extend Sezer as there isn't a lot out there and the Cowboys have Thurston retiring this year and the Roosters have Cronk retiring the year after so there is going to be some big money floating around for halves. You could throw the Broncos in to the mix as well. Would love to be in Nathan Cleary's position.
green eyebrow
Simon Woolford

Post by green eyebrow »

Ricky should be putting some stick about.
Sezer plays ordinary bcs Ricky's let him get away with it.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

How far are we away from having Hodgson at halfback next year with Havili in the 9..

If there is literally nobody on the market....
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Schifty wrote: May 21, 2018, 2:37 pm How far are we away from having Hodgson at halfback next year with Havili in the 9..

If you are moving Hodgson then there are some good hookers on the market. Segeyaro, Granville, Korisau, Tevega, even old man Issac Luke.

Honestly if we sign Segeyaro and don't play him just so he doesn't play us it would probably have a bigger positive impact on our year than most of the actual signings we make.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

pacman wrote: May 21, 2018, 9:13 am Was having a discussion with someone recently regarding our 2016 form year with almost the same team we have now and the interesting point to note was that even in that year when we were on fire, our halves did nothing. If you look back at the records, I'm sure you'll find that even in 26 rounds, Sezer and Austin barely got a few player of the match points.

They've been given a free ride because of a strong pack around them but it would only take teams so long to understand how to overcome that without our halves providing any mystery to our strategy. I just don't understand how they still have this free ride even after 2.5 seasons of mediocrity (1.5 seasons being very obvious through team performance).
Tremendous point on 2016. I've been crapping on about that for ages. I don't think i've ever seen a team play how we did that year in the sense that our halves were almost our least dominant players. We scored 688 points and Austo and Sezer wouldn't have had more than 10 try assists between them. Never seen anything like it. Isn't sustainable though and papered over the cracks. Made us think we were going better than we were.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

2016:

Wighton 12 try assists
Blake Austin 4
Aidan Sezer 10
Sam Williams 4

BJ Leilua 9
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

-TW- wrote: May 21, 2018, 3:39 pm 2016:

Wighton 12 try assists
Blake Austin 4
Aidan Sezer 10
Sam Williams 4

BJ Leilua 9
There ya go. Rapa and Hodgson would've had a few too. We were winning games by 50 with our halves not doing much. I get try assists aren't the soul guide to how dominant a player might've been but they certainly weren't dominant. Was a freak season.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Hodgson - 16
Rapana and Papalii - 8
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

14/90 try assists for the season coming from our main halves.

If you tried to determine the team structure from stats, you would be very confused.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

For comparisons sake

Maloney - 9
Townsend - 13

Not a huge difference to 18 from our halves.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Word on the street up here has Sezer being the protagonist in his move away from Canberra. He has approached a club regarding their possible moving on of a current half to allow him to slot in. He is also interested in the Melbourne opportunity should it actually exist as a legitimate option. I do not see this ending this week from what I have been told. Sezer wants out.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Timbo wrote: May 21, 2018, 9:31 am I think Sezer would be a very good 5/8 in a side that has a dominant halfback.

:lol:

When have we heard this one, that's right Joshy McCrone.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Schifty wrote: May 21, 2018, 2:37 pm How far are we away from having Hodgson at halfback next year with Havili in the 9..

This is the most logical idea. The great Jack Gibson was of the opinion you get the best 13 on the field no matter the position.

I'm the coach this what I'm doing with Garvey 14.
WorkChoice
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Our halves in 2016 literally just linked Hodgson to our edge forwards/centres.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

LP Raider wrote: May 21, 2018, 6:16 pm

This is the most logical idea. The great Jack Gibson was of the opinion you get the best 13 on the field no matter the position.

I'm the coach this what I'm doing with Garvey 14.
At this very moment if you could only have one of Havili, Austin and Sezer on the field you'd be choosing Havili.

I'd actually be looking to give this a crack this year the Hodgson returns, along with Garvey on the bench
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

I would think that Hodgson would be our highest paid player and most likely would be in the $800-$1mil a season range.

Does anyone know his history playing number 7 ?

It would be absolute typical Raiders to pay a bloke this sort of money on the salary cap only to play him in a position he never has before
Last edited by scotchberry on May 21, 2018, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Hodgson/sezer halves combo with havilli at 9?

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Captain Punish wrote: May 21, 2018, 5:59 pm Word on the street up here has Sezer being the protagonist in his move away from Canberra. He has approached a club regarding their possible moving on of a current half to allow him to slot in. He is also interested in the Melbourne opportunity should it actually exist as a legitimate option. I do not see this ending this week from what I have been told. Sezer wants out.

If so good luck to him. I wouldn’t mind keeping him on as a secondary half but we should be looking to upgrade him basically any time a decent half comes
to market.
Hopefully the player being moved on to accomodate Sezer is Corey Norman...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

You would think it is the Bulldogs.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gilby_gillard
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker, 2019 team

Post by gilby_gillard »

Pretty sure I heard James Hooper say the Sezer deal to stay is pretty much done on Big League Wrap
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Hazza wrote: May 21, 2018, 2:56 pm
pacman wrote: May 21, 2018, 9:13 am Was having a discussion with someone recently regarding our 2016 form year with almost the same team we have now and the interesting point to note was that even in that year when we were on fire, our halves did nothing. If you look back at the records, I'm sure you'll find that even in 26 rounds, Sezer and Austin barely got a few player of the match points.

Tremendous point on 2016. I've been crapping on about that for ages. I don't think i've ever seen a team play how we did that year in the sense that our halves were almost our least dominant players. We scored 688 points and Austo and Sezer wouldn't have had more than 10 try assists between them. Never seen anything like it. Isn't sustainable though and papered over the cracks. Made us think we were going better than we were.
I made the comment leading into the 2016 finals series that 11 of our starting 13 were in career best form, which is a mind boggling thought.

The 2 I didn't think were at their best - Austin and Sezer. Austin peaked in 2015 and has never gelled with Sezer. Sezer also peaked in 2015 at the Titans.

The only player who you could say is in better form now than the 2016 finals run is Tapine. Maybe Whitehead.

And that is the single biggest reason our cap is in trouble. The majority of our squad signed their current deals while in career best form, or shortly after in early 2017, and most have since regressed.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

gilby_gillard wrote:Pretty sure I heard James Hooper say the Sezer deal to stay is pretty much done on Big League Wrap
But Hooper hasn’t been on the street to hear the word.

In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Brew wrote: May 21, 2018, 9:23 pm
gilby_gillard wrote:Pretty sure I heard James Hooper say the Sezer deal to stay is pretty much done on Big League Wrap
But Hooper hasn’t been on the street to hear the word.

have you forwarded your thoughts on to the decision makers at the club?
If not, pass.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Sezer close to re-signing

Post by LastRaider »

Sezer is playing like he is out the door. I hope he is not staying.

With Boyd, Paulo out the door. Austin not being renewed and hopefully Sezer gone, I’m hoping we do something good with our available cash to spend now
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Then I spose we should be hearing about it any day now, yeah?