Post by greeneyed »

2018 Rd 11 V Dragons: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V St George Illawarra Dragons
Sunday 20 May 2:00pm
Glen Willow Stadium, Mudgee
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Morning frost and fog. Areas of morning frost. Areas of fog in the early morning. Mostly sunny day. Light winds becoming southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning then becoming light in the late afternoon. Overnight temperatures falling to between zero and 4 with daytime temperatures reaching between 11 and 17. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent. Min -1 Max 16

Round 10 2018. Cronulla Sharks 24 - Canberra Raiders 16. It was another match that the Raiders should have won - but didn't. A win against an injury riddled Cronulla Sharks would have seen the Raiders move into the top eight for the first time this season, but instead Canberra stumbled at the hurdle. The Raiders started the match poorly, with errors and penalties gifting the visitors possession and territory. By half time, the Raiders had re-asserted control, going to the break with a 16-8 lead. They were in a position to go on and win the match. But the Raiders failed to score in the second half, while conceding three tries.

2018 Round 10 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

More on Round 10: As I saw it

The Raiders go on the road in Round 11 to face the ladder leading Dragons at Mudgee's Glen Willow Stadium. Coach Ricky Stuart has named an unchanged top 17, with Blake Austin being given every opportunity to prove his fitness after suffering an ankle injury against the Sharks. Sam Williams has been included on the reserves list as cover.

The Dragons have named both Ben Hunt (quad) and Jack de Belin (hip) despite some injury concerns. Blake Lawrie replaces Zac Lomax on the bench in No. 17, with Lomax dropping back to the reserves list.

Late changes: The Canberra Raiders omitted Sam Williams and Craig Garvey from their squad to face the St George Illawarra Dragons on Saturday. Blake Austin (ankle) will take his place in the side. The Dragons have omitted Mitchell Allgood and Hame Sele with 24 hours to kick off.

History: The Raiders have won 17 of 28 games against St George Illawarra, and drawn one. Between 2003 and 2013, the Raiders were the Dragons' "hoodoo" team, with Canberra losing just one of the 16 matches played. However, the Raiders recorded a four game losing streak to the Dragons between 2014 and 2016 - and the hoodoo was no more. That losing streak was broken by an 18-14 golden point victory in Round 19 at Canberra Stadium last year. The Raiders have never previously played St George Illawarra at Mudgee, but have lost five and drawn one of the 12 matches played away against the Dragons.

In this week's "History Happens", we go back to Round 20 of 2011. With just two minutes remaining, Jamie Soward broke an 18 all deadlock with a field goal - and the Dragons thought their 11 year winning drought at Canberra Stadium was coming to an end. But Canberra rolled the dice with a short kick off and regathered the ball for one last shot. With 40 seconds left, Josh McCrone kicked ahead for Josh Dugan and he planted the ball over the line for the winning try. It produced this classic piece of commentary: "Do you believe in hoodoos, do you believe in miracles?!"

2011 Round 20 Canberra Raiders V St George Illawarra Dragons

Form: The Raiders have a WLWWL form line in their past five matches, while the Dragons have a WLWWL record. The Dragons have lost just twice this season, to the Warriors in Round 7, 20-12, and the Rabbitohs in Round 10, 24-10.

Betting: The Dragons are firm $1.37 favourites in this match, while the Raiders are paying $3.20. The Raiders have a 9.5 points start in the line betting. The Raiders’ odds have lengthened over the week.

Stat attack: The Dragons sit atop the competition table, while the Raiders are in 11th place. So far this season, the Raiders have lost all three matches played against teams in the top eight, while the Dragons have won five of seven matches against top eight teams.

The Dragons are the best attacking team in the competition, averaging 27 points and four tries scored per match. That compares with 22 points and just under four tries scored per match for the Raiders. The Dragons have an even clearer advantage in defence. They average 15 points conceded per match - with only the Roosters having a better defensive record. Canberra has conceded an average of 22 points per match, which is the seventh worst in the league.

The Dragons have an advantage in average running metres (Dragons 1621m, Raiders 1438m per match), kicking metres (Dragons 467m, Raiders 379m per match) and offloads (Dragons 14, Raiders 10 per match). The Dragons have a better completion rate than the Raiders (78 per cent compared with 75 per cent for Canberra), but make slightly more errors (Dragons 11 per match, Raiders 10). The Dragons also concede fewer penalties than Canberra (Dragons 7, Raiders 10 conceded per match). Line breaks is the only area where the Raiders out-do the Dragons (Raiders 5, Dragons 4 per match).

Canberra is forced to make more tackles on average per match than the Dragons (Raiders 336, Dragons 309), and miss more tackles Raiders 30, Dragons 23).

Our tip: Almost everything points to a Dragons victory and they are deserved favourites. They have a settled team while the Raiders are struggling to cope with some key injuries. One plus for Canberra is that the Dragons have sacrificed their home game advantage. The other is that St George Illawarra has stumbled twice in recent weeks. If the Raiders are to win, the forwards will need to dominate the in-form Dragons pack and cut down space and time for halves Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop. They'll need to lift intensity, determination and attitude on last week's performance. The heart is hoping they can catch the Dragons on an off day. But the head says the Dragons will win and win well. Dragons by 12.

What they're saying:

Ato Hingano on Blake Austin's ankle injury during the Sharks match: "For all Canberra fans, [it wasn't] a good sign to see him go down. But for me, to be chucked in that position, I was excited. Looking back at the game now I guess I could have done more. Now that I know the possibility that Blake could be or could not be playing, I'll train at hooker and in the halves just in case."

Charlie Gubb on the clash with the Dragons: "It's going to be a test for us, we're going to have go to another a level again. Eliminate our errors and penalties and we'll see what happens."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Sia Soliola
9. Siliva Havili
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Ata Hingano
15. Luke Bateman
16. Charlie Gubb
17. Dunamis Lui
18. Liam Knight
19. Michael Oldfield

St George Illawarra Dragons

1. Matt Dufty
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Euan Aitken
4. Tim Lafai
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop (c)
7. Ben Hunt
8. James Graham
9. Cameron McInnes
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Tariq Sims
13. Jack de Belin

14. Jeremy Latimore
15. Kurt Mann
16. Leeson Ah Mau
17. Blake Lawrie
18. Reece Robson
19. Zac Lomax

Officials:

Referees: Ashley Klein, Peter Gough
Sideline Officials: Rickey McFarlane, Clayton Sharpe
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLDragonsRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: 2018 Rd 11 V Dragons: Game Day

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Raiders have no chance beating the Dragons.
Just compare our halves to theirs then compare their forwards to ours and that my friends sums it up perfectly.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: May 17, 2018, 10:17 pm Raiders have no chance beating the Dragons.
Just compare our halves to theirs then compare their forwards to ours and that my friends sums it up perfectly.
Yep, keep writing them off. Call them nasty names.

Worked for the Cowboys game.

I believe we have a red hot chance here.

It's just damn disgusting they can't do it every week.

Jack, John and myself will be watching and waving our arms.

We have this 3man Viking Clap going..it's perfect.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I'll be on a plane this game (again). I'll know what happened by the thread titles in here when I land. Sack player x means we lost.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: May 18, 2018, 8:43 am I'll be on a plane this game (again). I'll know what happened by the thread titles in here when I land. Sack player x means we lost.
The "Sack Ricky" thread will be getting the most traffic.

Followed by a newly created thread" All is forgiven Todd, we love you, go away Aiden"
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: May 18, 2018, 11:22 am
reptar wrote: May 18, 2018, 8:43 am I'll be on a plane this game (again). I'll know what happened by the thread titles in here when I land. Sack player x means we lost.

Followed by a newly created thread" All is forgiven Todd, we love you, go away Aiden"
:lol: pretty much.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 19, 2018, 8:30 am
-PJ- wrote: May 18, 2018, 11:22 am

:lol: pretty much.
You know it Seiff...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview updated for squads, weather, betting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32789&p=1591488#p1591488
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Just watched the boys train for a few hours at the stadium here in Mudgee with the Mrs and a few locals. Looked pretty sharp running the footy and kicks were on point. Only saw 2 dropped balls on set plays and there were a few plays and areas of the field specifically they were putting a fair bit of practice into. A few code words being thrown around for set plays which we were able to decode :-)

Croker kicking well. Only missed one which hit the post. Austin looked fully fit and ran often and with speed. Cotric and Austin trained really well and were stand outs. Cotric looked a handful running some great lines and was super solid under the high ball.

Interesting moment was when on one occasion Gubb knocked on and there wasn't much said and a few giggles. Sticky got up the halves a bit for not having much reaction to the laughs and after that they pulled a few blokes into line after that and they did respond.

Team came over to the fans after training and we got to have chat and some photos. Mrs Finite and I got the meet most of them and get some photos. Lovely day here. Croker said he was really happy with the ground condition and commented it was better than some of the big stadiums they play on. Players were terrific with the fans. All credit to the club and staff who handed out posters, signed gear and spent plenty of time with the fans. Had a chat with Ricky who was awesome and gave us all plenty of time, he was the last one to leave and as I was walking home I turned around and he was still out there with some supporters having a chat.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks Finite!

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Great write up, Finite!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

What's happening today ?

Anything ??

Well the boys are taking on the StMerge Dragqueens in beautiful Mudgee.

# bleedgreen
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Shannon Boyd empties the tank in 7hrs 5mins from now.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Racing in time attack out at Queensland Raceway today so fortunately get to miss this **** show.

I'll be around in the aftermath to whinge about Ricky.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sossman wrote: May 20, 2018, 8:22 am Racing in time attack out at Queensland Raceway today so fortunately get to miss this **** show.

I'll be around in the aftermath to whinge about Ricky.

Sweet...see you then. :)
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day, if we are as consistant at being inconsistant we should bag this one against our old bunny's Cmon Raiders!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

-PJ- wrote: May 20, 2018, 6:59 am Shannon Boyd empties the tank in 7hrs 5mins from now.

:lol:

:clap:
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

1992 wrote:
-PJ- wrote: May 20, 2018, 6:59 am Shannon Boyd empties the tank in 7hrs 5mins from now.

I like this one. Well done PJ
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm really pumped up right now! Come on boys!

Okay maybe I'm pumped because I just watched like three replays of Curtis Scott decking Dylan Walker in last night's game. Nice job, Scott.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

-PJ- wrote:Shannon Boyd empties the tank in 7hrs 5mins from now.
ImageImageImage

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

A win last week and I could accept a loss today so long as the boys did a decent job for 80 minutes. Beating the drag queens should give this side a huge confidence boost. St George 13+
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Reckon we win today. No rational reason for thinking this.

1st try scorer Havili at $56.00 with Sportsbet. He's been 1st try scorer twice already this year. Not afraid to have a crack at the line if the opportunity presents itself.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Curtis Scott makes my team of the week...captain.
I could hear the roars of approval from about 12 houses near me.

Lovely write up and report Finite
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

I’m so happy its back :)
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

-GD- wrote: May 20, 2018, 10:45 am
I’m so happy its back :)
Yeah, we just need a 'fortress' quote and all is fine in the universe.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Who's ready for 60 mins of we can win this. 18 minutes of crap we are going lose this. Followed by 6 hours of why do i keep doing this to myself every bloody week

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Dragons too good for our inconsistent, mentally weak rabble.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

thedevilingreen wrote:Who's ready for 60 mins of we can win this. 18 minutes of crap we are going lose this. Followed by 6 hours of why do i keep doing this to myself every bloody week

I’m ready!

What should I do for the other 2 mins? My choice? Or that’s after the game is the Dragons and you’re pouring a stiff drink?
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gangrenous wrote:
thedevilingreen wrote:Who's ready for 60 mins of we can win this. 18 minutes of crap we are going lose this. Followed by 6 hours of why do i keep doing this to myself every bloody week

I’m ready!

What should I do for the other 2 mins? My choice? Or that’s after the game is the Dragons and you’re pouring a stiff drink?
That's generally the bit after I switch over to supervars and throw the remote indiscriminately

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today’s NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and St George Illawarra Dragons. Go to The GH Instagram to see pics and video from the ground. Here are the final team line ups (available 1pm).

The warm up clash between the Harold Matthews and Andrew Johns Cup champions (Under 16s) saw the Manly Sea Eagles defeat the Western Rams 32-12.

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Sia Soliola
9. Siliva Havili
16. Charlie Gubb
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Ata Hingano
15. Luke Bateman
10. Shannon Boyd
17. Dunamis Lui

St George Illawarra Dragons

1. Matt Dufty
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Euan Aitken
4. Tim Lafai
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop (c)
7. Ben Hunt
8. James Graham
9. Cameron McInnes
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Tariq Sims
13. Jack de Belin

14. Jeremy Latimore
15. Kurt Mann
16. Leeson Ah Mau
17. Blake Lawrie
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

About to head out to the game. Perfect day here and almost no wind.

From yesterdays session the ground here is very good and the guys look very confident spreading the ball and running I'm expecting to see the our outside backs get plenty of ball today with the odd Lepana bat back for good measure. Slowing the dragons pack up the middle will be key for us in this game. Cotric is my man today.

See ya in a few hours. Lets see how we go!
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

Gubb to start, Boyd to the bench.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

LastRaider wrote: May 20, 2018, 9:19 am
1992 wrote:

I like this one. Well done PJ
He promised..