Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd signs with Gold Coast Titans

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd signs with Gold Coast Titans

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I wanted Boyd to stay but the way he backed up his MOM performance against the Titans with a bludger of a game against the Sharks has me leaning towards this being a smart decision by the club.

If you aren't consistent after 100 games you probably never will be.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:Pretty disappointed. 600k in today's cap isn't much.

This club is **** up royally and Don Furner has long, long overstayed his welcome.
Yes it is. You get the same question I asked earlier to someone else. Name me the players in the starting 13 that should be earning less than Boyd and what should they be on.

You get the special clause of substituting a halfback you actually want. You don’t get to say Sezer $0 here Image
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

afgtnk wrote: May 16, 2018, 5:07 pm Pretty disappointed. 600k in today's cap isn't much.

This club is **** up royally and Don Furner has long, long overstayed his welcome.
The club was right on this one. A prop averaging 40min give or take should not be paid $600k imo. If he was capable of producing 50mins minimum, fine. But that's not the case. This isn't a Paul Vaughan type of situation where Boyd will go on to do amazing things at the Titans (I could be wrong but I just highly doubt it).
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: May 16, 2018, 5:07 pm Pretty disappointed. 600k in today's cap isn't much.

Stuart and Mulholland have been very clear and very vocal that they won’t be matching “astronomical” offers for Boyd

Don has long overstayed his welcome. But the decision to not match 600k sits with Stuart and Mulholland, not Don.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ultimately, it is the head coach who decides on recruitment and retention and contracts... unless you're a Paul McGregor type coach who handed that over (voluntarily or not).
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

gangrenous wrote: May 16, 2018, 5:56 pm

Yes it is. You get the same question I asked earlier to someone else. Name me the players in the starting 13 that should be earning less than Boyd and what should they be on.

You get the special clause of substituting a halfback you actually want. You don’t get to say Sezer $0 here Image
No, it's not. It's less than 300k in old money.

Not that much for a rep prop.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shannon Boyd's departure a big loss for Canberra Raiders: Nick Cotric

Canberra winger Nick Cotric said departing prop Shannon Boyd deserves to be sent out on a high note after it was announced he has signed a lucrative four-year-deal with Gold Coast from 2019.

"It will definitely be a big loss for the club but Boydy is a good fella, so he had to do the right thing for him, but that's footy, I guess," Cotric said. "The boys will do as much as we can this year, so he can leave on a good note because he's been here a long time at the club so I'm sure he will miss the club as well.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/16/sha ... rs-cotric/

Titans' NRL pack bigger with Boyd signing: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/titans-nrl- ... yd-signing
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I highly doubt a coach manages contracts.

They would definitely have the final say on who actually gets recruited, but they would have a budget to work within and would have to give their priorities to management.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Paul Vautin says Canberra Raiders will suffer without 'world-class' Boyd and Paulo

The Canberra Raiders are set to cast a wide net to replace two gaping holes in their forward park after Shannon Boyd was poached by the Gold Coast Titans on Wednesday. Rugby league legend Paul Vautin says the Canberra Raiders will "suffer" without props Boyd and Junior Paulo - who has been linked with a return to the Parramatta Eels.

"I just love big, strong, hard and props and they're going to miss them. Ricky is a pretty smart guy but I just hope they've got contingency plan."

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/canber ... 4zfmw.html
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote: May 16, 2018, 6:07 pm

Stuart and Mulholland have been very clear and very vocal that they won’t be matching “astronomical” offers for Boyd

Don has long overstayed his welcome. But the decision to not match 600k sits with Stuart and Mulholland, not Don.
If you can't blame Sezer next on the list is DFJ.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:

A past rep prop.

If it’s not that much you can answer the question surely?

Unless it’s not that much as in we should have 8.4 M+ tied up in our top 14 players?!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Geez, I hope we have someone decent lined up as replacements for Boyd and Paulo
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

afgtnk wrote: May 16, 2018, 6:23 pm

You have to go back a fair way for it to be less than 300k. The cap was 7 m before the increase to 9.4 this year and they added 5 players.
Last edited by edwahu on May 16, 2018, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: May 16, 2018, 6:27 pm I highly doubt a coach manages contracts.

They would definitely have the final say on who actually gets recruited, but they would have a budget to work within and would have to give their priorities to management.
So when Shannon Boyd's manager came back to Furner and told him "Sorry mate, 550k/3years is a strong offer but he's got a firm 600k/4 years sitting on the table from the Titans. You're going to have match the Titans offer if you want Shannon to stay here"

What happens next?
Do you really think DFJ calls Stuart and Mulholland into his office and tells them "Sorry boys, i know you wanted to keep Boyd but that Titans offer is too rich for my blood" ?
Honestly? You think that's how Stuart lets his club be run?

Let me tell you how this works. DFJ pulls Stuart and Mulholland into his office and says "Hey boys, the 550k isnt getting it done for Boyd. His manager wants us to come up to 600k to match the Titans offer. What do you think?"
Stuart and/or Mulholland respond "No way, 550k was generous we cant go any higher. Stick firm on our offer, if he takes it great. Otherwise we move on."

And ultimately if Stuart said "I need Shannon, we cant lose him. Match the offer and get it done" that's exactly what Don would do.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Fatty opinion on footy these days is about as useful as the imperial system
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Is Mark Nicholls ever going to get good? He looks like the right buiild for the future frontrower, and he's off contract. Agree with those last two post as well.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Losing Boyd and Paulo for 1.4 million a season between them isn't the issue, it's just who we get to replace them that is.

As much of a basketcase this club is, even I trust Sticky, Mullohand and DFJ will have something planned.

Otherwise if not, it's:

8. Soliola
9. Hodgson
10. Gubb
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Havili
15. Bateman
16. Gubb
17. Knight

.... jeez :|

FWIW however, what's the hold up with the Paulo announcement? Maybe we're back in the game, otherwise surely it should have been announced by now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have to say, I think it is incredibly disrespectful for Shannon Boyd to appear in a Titans jersey today. It's just not on, and it shouldn't be done.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: May 16, 2018, 6:23 pm

Rep prop indeed.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Raider47 wrote:Losing Boyd and Paulo for 1.4 million a season between them isn't the issue, it's just who we get to replace them that is.

As much of a basketcase this club is, even I trust Sticky, Mullohand and DFJ will have something planned.

Otherwise if not, it's:

8. Soliola
9. Hodgson
10. Gubb
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Havili
15. Bateman
16. Gubb
17. Knight

.... jeez Image

FWIW however, what's the hold up with the Paulo announcement? Maybe we're back in the game, otherwise surely it should have been announced by now.
We’re in for a bad time if Tapine has to play 2 positions at once! I’d love to see Gubb on the field and on the bench at the same time too!
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on May 16, 2018, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: May 16, 2018, 10:01 pm Have to say, I think it is incredibly disrespectful for Shannon Boyd to appear in a Titans jersey today. It's just not on, and it shouldn't be done.
Where?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

afgtnk wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 16, 2018, 10:01 pm Have to say, I think it is incredibly disrespectful for Shannon Boyd to appear in a Titans jersey today. It's just not on, and it shouldn't be done.
Where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The only picture I've seen was an extremely-poorly photoshopped picture where they'd basically taken a pic of him in his Raiders kit and photoshopped it blue. You can even still see the Huawei logo. :roflmao

EDIT: GE, that's the one. It's photoshopped. He's not actually wearing a Titans jersey.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

Photoshopped, it’s a Raiders Jersey look closely and you can see the top of the Huawei logo above the arms, there is still a tiny bit of the raiders logo note the dark dot where the bottom of logo would sit and the the NRL logo has blue tint from them simply playing with colour balance.

Yep shoddy job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

GE, it's a photoshop. Look more closely at it. You can still see the Huawei logo! I doubt he did that.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Offensive? What?

There's things to be offended about and this ain't one of them
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

GE, where did you see that part of the Boyd deal is he is now running the Titans website?

It is a photo of him in a Raiders jersey which someone at the Titans has photoshopped to a blue which probably more looks like a NSW jersey than Titans.

Seriously I reckon you need to get a grip. He has taken up a better offer than we were willing to pay. Good luck to him.

Getting rid of Boyd now would just be stupid. We are already committed to paying his contract and he is clearly in our best team. Hopefully he can be part of a successful 2018 for the Raiders.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

His management would have had no say whatsoever in that Photoshop.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Come on mate, fair go.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

The titans jersey doesn't even have stripes on their sleeves like that :lol:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Well let's hope he doesn't win the forums player of the year award. That would be an awkward presentation
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

It’s poor form from the titans, thats for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Club should have a go at Titans for that, poor form, in fact Boyd should tell em to take it down n Huawei should make legal noises about altering Trademarks or whatever for poops n giggles

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Couple days after playing a forgettable game, who woulda thought.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

zim wrote:Well let's hope he doesn't win the forums player of the year award. That would be an awkward presentation Image
Is there any chance of that?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.