Hall of Fame nominee Stuart won't rest until Canberra Raiders get back to the top

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Hall of Fame nominee Stuart won't rest until Canberra Raiders get back to the top

Post by greeneyed »

Hall of Fame nominee Ricky Stuart won't rest until Canberra Raiders get back to the top

For all of the individual honours, Kangaroos tours and premiership victories, Ricky Stuart says he won't be satisfied with his resume unless he adds another trophy to the list as coach of his beloved Canberra Raiders.

"I don't want to sound rash, I am very proud of what I've achieved as a player, I'm very proud of how I have handled tough situations because I haven't changed as a man. But if I could give all of the success back to get one more, I'd go close to swapping, just to get one more."

Read more and video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/14/hal ... ess-again/
papabear
Steve Walters

Re: Hall of Fame nominee Stuart won't rest until Canberra Raiders get back to the top

Post by papabear »

he is going to be not resting for a while.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Re: Hall of Fame nominee Stuart won't rest until Canberra Raiders get back to the top

Post by woppadingo »

He needs help atleast. Its not a question of just trying harder. He needs to accept his own stubbornness and open up to learning a tew lessons. For a start I think he needs to get off the field and vack into the box where he can see whats happening in the field.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Personally, I think Ricky should get the boot now. After 5 seasons he has assembled a roster which isn't top 8 standard. Unfortunately, I think the club is likely to give him a do-over because to sack him now would be to admit they shouldn't have extended him last year.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I think the team is a top 8 standard. It's just that practically none of them are playing very well. Coach or players fault? Or both?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

The entire mentality of the team is off....instead of going for the jugular yesterday and being ruthless they took the soft option of 2 points....some games 2 points might win it but with our teams mentality of not being able to grind out games we are better off blowing them away when we have the chance

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Finchy wrote: May 14, 2018, 3:08 pm I think the team is a top 8 standard. It's just that practically none of them are playing very well. Coach or players fault? Or both?
Definitely top 8 standard squad, particularly when you include Hodgo. We proved that by finishing 2nd with pretty much he same roster. Like you say, We’re just not playing like a top 8 squad.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If we are being truly objective the loss of Hodgson hasn't hurt as much as anticipated because Havili has been fantastic. He deserves an upgrade and a starting spot at another club.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Delusional
Last edited by dubby on May 14, 2018, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swearing.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2018, 3:16 pm
Finchy wrote: May 14, 2018, 3:08 pm I think the team is a top 8 standard. It's just that practically none of them are playing very well. Coach or players fault? Or both?
Definitely top 8 standard squad, particularly when you include Hodgo. We proved that by finishing 2nd with pretty much he same roster. Like you say, We’re just not playing like a top 8 squad.
Just because we were top 4 with the same roster in 2016, that doesn't mean we're a top 8 standard side in 2018.

I said this in the off season but the team's that are consistently good each year shed their underperformers and recruit fresh talent every season. You need to improve your squad year after year because the competition is only getting better. This also helps to keep the other players on their toes. We seemed to be doing this when Ricky first arrived, but not anymore.

I think we've made a mistake in sticking to our core 13 - for example, we should have punted at least one of our halves last season and gone in on somebody of note for this year or next year. A club with some foresight and planning would have been thinking in this direction. Our recruitment has been ordinary at best and Mullholland needs to go along with Ricky if he gets the boot. We should be looking at what the Dragons have done for example as a model.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Btw Hodgson is not going to miraculously cure all of our problems. Our issues go much deeper than that.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Won't be able to write "resting in peace" on his tombstone then at this rate 😂
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 14, 2018, 6:42 pm
Just because we were top 4 with the same roster in 2016, that doesn't mean we're a top 8 standard side in 2018.

I said this in the off season but the team's that are consistently good each year shed their underperformers and recruit fresh talent every season. You need to improve your squad year after year because the competition is only getting better. This also helps to keep the other players on their toes. We seemed to be doing this when Ricky first arrived, but not anymore.

I think we've made a mistake in sticking to our core 13 - for example, we should have punted at least one of our halves last season and gone in on somebody of note for this year or next year. A club with some foresight and planning would have been thinking in this direction. Our recruitment has been ordinary at best and Mullholland needs to go along with Ricky if he gets the boot. We should be looking at what the Dragons have done for example as a model.
Saying we don't have a top 8 standard squad means if everybody played well we would still miss the finals. That is not the case. We've all seen this group at their best, even on individual occasions this season. If they were all able to play somewhere near that on a more regular basis this conversation wouldn't be taking place as we'd be firmly entrenched in the top half of the ladder.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Well this is fun!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2018, 7:00 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 14, 2018, 6:42 pm

Saying we don't have a top 8 standard squad means if everybody played well we would still miss the finals. That is not the case. We've all seen this group at their best, even on individual occasions this season. If they were all able to play somewhere near that on a more regular basis this conversation wouldn't be taking place as we'd be firmly entrenched in the top half of the ladder.
spot on, even without Hodgson, this team playing at its best is absolutely a top 8 team
Anyone saying otherwise is a fool. Proper old school fool who doesnt know what they are talking about.

That isnt to say this squad is a contender, clearly we dont have the horses in either half spot to be a legit contender, but the quality over the park is better than most.

This team is poorly coached, poorly prepared, poorly managed and performs accordingly.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Since losing the prelim of 16 we have spent 34 rounds and 2 pre seasons out of form.

At what stage does someone/anyone become accountable ?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

30 loses in a row is the standard for those who have had nappies changes by key figures in the QBN mafia, Scotch.
Hope this helps
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I admire his determination. It'd be even better if he could get the entire 17 man team to turn up prepared to play each week.

Too many dumb mistakes and certain players lacking effort for us to be genuine contenders right now. The talent is there, just not the attitude.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Pigman wrote: May 14, 2018, 8:07 pm 30 loses in a row is the standard for those who have had nappies changes by key figures in the QBN mafia, Scotch.
Hope this helps
Yes, Yes it does help
Makes his contract extension last season seem so logical now.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 14, 2018, 8:16 pm I admire his determination. It'd be even better if he could get the entire 17 man team to turn up prepared to play each week.

Too many dumb mistakes and certain players lacking effort for us to be genuine contenders right now. The talent is there, just not the attitude.
Just about every match of ours you will hear a commentator make remarks about how talented the side is and “when they get it right they can really hurt you”.

And that line of statement is pretty much consistent on most talkback radio stations, football show panels and every man and women I speak to about football when the Raiders come up in the conversation.

You never hear anyone speak of our team like the Tigers or Knights in “how these kids are really diggin in, they may not have the talent but they are working hard for each other” etc etc

Like you said the talent is there, just the effort is constantly lacking
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sticks going to be busier than a one legged dude in a butt kicking competition...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We were just a Top 8 side defensively in 2016. We have regressed defensively since then and so has our position on the ladder. We still score enough points to win matches, but we have shown four times this season we cannot defend a lead. Two other times we were blown off the park. There is a need for a change of direction at the Raiders from the Head Coach to the roster. We are strong at backrow, wingers and hooker/s. We are particularly weak in the halves. We have a coach who will stubbornly refuse to change from a failed direction. Starting with pre-season and player fitness, Sticky needs to change direction or go.

FTR, I hope Sticky makes it to the Player Hall of Fame because as a player I think he deserves to be there.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Peter wrote: May 14, 2018, 6:58 pm Won't be able to write "resting in peace" on his tombstone then at this rate 😂
:roflmao
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

For Ricky to come out and publicly say this proves how off the pace the bloke is as a coach in the modern era of the NRL, his passion for the club is admirable and what he achieved for the club as a player will probably never be repeated but if Ricky truly loved the club he would step aside as head coach and advise the board that a total re build is required, and if Don isn't prepared to tap Ricky on the shoulder if we don't at least make the finals this year then it will just be more of the same well into the 2020's.
I asked a question on this forum last season when we missed the finals if it was too much to expect to see another Raiders premiership before I die, and im 47, not one GH member around my age said yes, Ricky, you wont be resting for a long, long time.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raiders_Pat wrote:Btw Hodgson is not going to miraculously cure all of our problems. Our issues go much deeper than that.
Having at least 1 competent playmaker will help though
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

How much longer do we have to suffer this muppet?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Pigman wrote: May 14, 2018, 7:41 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2018, 7:00 pm
spot on, even without Hodgson, this team playing at its best is absolutely a top 8 team
Anyone saying otherwise is a fool. Proper old school fool who doesnt know what they are talking about.

That isnt to say this squad is a contender, clearly we dont have the horses in either half spot to be a legit contender, but the quality over the park is better than most.

This team is poorly coached, poorly prepared, poorly managed and performs accordingly.
Lol and of course, you must a proper expert who knows everything :clap: :roflmao

I honestly can't think of a side that wouldn't be in the top 8 if everybody played well, besides maybe Parra. At least 15 of the 16 teams are top 8 at their best, you geniuses! All the evidence including our position on the ladder suggests that we are not a top 8 standard side at this point in time.

You can say "if we were able to achieve this and that in these games then we would be in the 8" all you like... but the fact remains that we weren't able to achieve said things, as a top 8 side would have done. We lack direction in our playmaking positions and leadership in key areas (including coaching, captaincy, forward pack general).

That being said, we don't actually have to put in all that much extra work to turn in to a top 8 standard side. And with a few changes in key areas, we would quite easily become a top 4 side. But we are making none of the necessary moves to head in that direction.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Ok so unless you are in the top 8 you do not have a top 8 squad. Yep, nailed it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I like that Pat has derided the “geniuses” in a post that appears to make no discernible difference between current level of play, and current level of talent.

He’s quick to scold people for saying despite some flaws that will prevent us from being a legitimate contender, the overall quality of the squad is good enough to be a better than average team. SCOLDS us for it but concedes we could “quite easily” be a top 4 side

I respect that hustle.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

We haven't been in the top 8 for nearly a season and a half. At what point does the actual top 8 become the benchmark for 'top 8 squad'?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Green eyed Mick wrote:We haven't been in the top 8 for nearly a season and a half. At what point does the actual top 8 become the benchmark for 'top 8 squad'?
About the same point that "premiership contenders" means they have to have won a premiership.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: May 15, 2018, 9:15 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:We haven't been in the top 8 for nearly a season and a half. At what point does the actual top 8 become the benchmark for 'top 8 squad'?
About the same point that "premiership contenders" means they have to have won a premiership.

Haha, exactly.
luke
John Ferguson

Post by luke »

what if the problem is he actually needs *more rest? Has he considered that?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think this team massively over achieved in 2016. It was mostly Leilua and Rapana brilliance, some excellent performances from Hodgson that got us to 2nd.

Yet, We were a few Eddy Lee fumbles from a GF.

This team is just..... streaky. A confidence team, if you will. We just don't have that tough, tenacious culture. We like to blow opposition teams apart with flamboyant play.

That's not going to change unless we over haul our roster.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

Raiders_Pat wrote:

Thing is I don’t blame Sticky for trying to stick with the same team because we have, and have for a very long time, had big recruitment problems. He tried something different and it though it worked initially, didn’t bring sustained success. I feel we’re in a better position now than when he took over as far as recruiting a bigger name player. Yes most likely 1 in 5 for the finals, but he did take us further than we have ever been since 95, that’s gotta count for something. I have faith in him to do good things whist this current contract is playing out, but yeah I agree he needs to start cycling through players a bit more to freshen up the side. And he needs to start meditating:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?