Is Croker the right captain for the team

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I know this thread is going to have a lot of haters, but if the consensus is to call for Ricky’s head, there has to also be a question around the captain’s performance over the last 18 months. This thread is not in anyway about his individual effort and performance on game day, it’s around his performance as a leader. Does the team respect him as a captain? Do they play for him? Is he the man they turn too when the pressure is on and is he leading them through these times to success?

Remember being a captain isn’t about having a strong game yourself and believing the players will follow. It’s about leading and inspiring your team and ensuring everyone is doing their job and working as one.

My position is he is a solid player but I think he was made captain to early and he lacks the leadership traits needed to guide this team to success.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Last edited by LastRaider on May 14, 2018, 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by sprintman »

No. Next question
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I would like to see co-captains - Sia and Hodgson

Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

I'd like to see Whitehead installed as captain.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not this one again!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Hodgson or Whitehead would make a better captain IMO but our problems aren't going to be solved with a new captain.

We have 4 halves whose career ceiling is at best second fiddle. That's the critical roster component that needs to be fixed as a priority.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

LastRaider wrote: May 14, 2018, 1:10 pm I would like to see co-captains - Sia and Hodgson

One who doesn't play 80 minutes and another who's probably still 6 weeks away from returning.

Solid argument. :roll:
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We need a leader who grabs the game by the short and curlies. I love toots but he ain't it.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I think he is

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

T_R wrote:I think he is

Why?

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: May 14, 2018, 1:00 pm I know this thread is going to have a lot of haters, but if the consensus is to call for Ricky’s head, there has to also be a question around the captain’s performance over the last 18 months. This thread is not in anyway about his individual effort and performance on game day, it’s around his performance as a leader. Does the team respect him as a captain? Do they play for him? Is he the man they turn too when the pressure is on and is he leading them through these times to success?

Remember being a captain isn’t about having a strong game yourself and believing the players will follow. It’s about leading and inspiring your team and ensuring everyone is doing their job and working as one.

My position is he is a solid player but I think he was made captain to early and he lacks the leadership traits needed to guide this team to success.

You, like many, are over thinking the role of the captain in an NRL team. Realistically it little more than an honorary position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2018, 2:52 pm You, like many, are over thinking the role of the captain in an NRL team. Realistically it little more than an honorary position.
Correct. It's basically just a guy who has the temperament to handle the extra responsibilities... Media commitments, league commitments. Flying to Brisbane to do a photo shoot for league promotions and can be trusted to get early and do his weights session etc

Anyone seriously thinking a change in captain is going to make any meaningful impact on results is living in a different era.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

LastRaider wrote: May 14, 2018, 2:41 pm

Why?

Onus is on you to provide evidence of why he's not.

As far as I can tell, the boys do play for him. You ever seen them after the skipper gets dog-shotted? They go crazy. You watch them in the dressing room before a game, they're all quiet, listening to him.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

raiderskater wrote:
LastRaider wrote: May 14, 2018, 2:41 pm

Why?

Onus is on you to provide evidence of why he's not.

As far as I can tell, the boys do play for him. You ever seen them after the skipper gets dog-shotted? They go crazy. You watch them in the dressing room before a game, they're all quiet, listening to him.
I haven’t seen any of the things you have just mentioned. The players go crazy if any player gets dog shotted. BJ, Rapana, Whitehead and Tapine if they see anything close to a dog shot they over react.

Croker’s captaincy was very absent between the 40th and 70th minute on the weekend. You could have dropped a pin in the game amongst the Raiders players and heard it crystal clear that was that much talk. If the halves are going missing at that stage, the Captain needs to step in and direct the players, instead Croker hung out on the wing

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2018, 2:52 pm You, like many, are over thinking the role of the captain in an NRL team. Realistically it little more than an honorary position.
Correct. It's basically just a guy who has the temperament to handle the extra responsibilities... Media commitments, league commitments. Flying to Brisbane to do a photo shoot for league promotions and can be trusted to get early and do his weights session etc

Anyone seriously thinking a change in captain is going to make any meaningful impact on results is living in a different era.
I disagree. The Captain plays a major role, especially on game day. Look at the top 6 teams and tell me that the captains don’t make a difference. Even on the weekend against Cronulla, Fifta didn’t shut up on the field the whole game, talking all the time to his troops. He played 80 minutes and the rest of the team saw it and stayed with him.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think Croker is the best player in our team to be captain.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: May 14, 2018, 5:44 pm
Pigman wrote:

I disagree. The Captain plays a major role, especially on game day. Look at the top 6 teams and tell me that the captains don’t make a difference. Even on the weekend against Cronulla, Fifta didn’t shut up on the field the whole game, talking all the time to his troops. He played 80 minutes and the rest of the team saw it and stayed with him.

Cameron Smith aside
The captains don’t make a lick of difference
Certainly Fifita’s very bog ordinary game of footy yesterday doesn’t change my mind. And I don’t think his troops were inspired or improved by his 80 minute effort

They just worked harder and respected possession, and over came some first class laziness in the first half by their captain and a potential game changing Clanger from him too, to win a game
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sharks didn't win because Fifita is Captain. He's been chirping away at the refs and putting up those types of numbers his entire career. That was the first time he's been Captain. It's a very simplistic view to say the teams that are winning do so because their captain inspires them and those that are losing don't have very good captains. Its park football mentality being applied to a professional sporting code.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

I would like to see one J Tapine given the captain arm band. He is the future, the present and the glory.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

NRL captains don’t make a difference.... despite nearly every successful team in the comp having an elite player with the big C next to their name.

It’s also why we bothered getting one of the greatest of all time in Mal Meninga, to mentor Croker in the off season. Because we wanted to waste everyone’s time, because it doesn’t make a difference who the captain is and what the captain does....

In all serious, the sooner we move on from Croker as captain, the better. Likewise with Ricky Stuart. Neither are going to lead this team toward a winning culture of success. Time to start fresh.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

I don't blame my boss if I do a **** job.

Crokes is fine at Captain.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Captain Punish wrote:I would like to see one J Tapine given the captain arm band. He is the future, the present and the glory.

I will admit I am firm for Tapine. What a player. What a man. What a mighty mighty good man.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

yeh raiders wrote:NRL captains don’t make a difference.... despite nearly every successful team in the comp having an elite player with the big C next to their name.

It’s also why we bothered getting one of the greatest of all time in Mal Meninga, to mentor Croker in the off season. Because we wanted to waste everyone’s time, because it doesn’t make a difference who the captain is and what the captain does....

In all serious, the sooner we move on from Croker as captain, the better. Likewise with Ricky Stuart. Neither are going to lead this team toward a winning culture of success. Time to start fresh.
I agree

Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Sossman wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:I would like to see one J Tapine given the captain arm band. He is the future, the present and the glory.

I will admit I am firm for Tapine. What a player. What a man. What a mighty mighty good man.

Yes, he isssssssss!

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: May 14, 2018, 7:43 pm NRL captains don’t make a difference.... despite nearly every successful team in the comp having an elite player with the big C next to their name.

....or are they successful because they have the elite players to begin with? :hmmm
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Elite players, who generally end up as captains, are quite successful
What a stunning revelation. Haha.

Quite a chicken or the egg situation isn't it?
Do you win football games because you're an elite level talent, and have other quality players around you... or do you become an elite level talent because you're a **** great captain...

Im going to watch Any Given Sunday, Varsity Blues and Remember The Titans tonight and come back tomorrow with some thoughts.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

What I'm still trying to get my head around is that or fortunes will somehow change if one of the other current players in our squad is given the task of attending the coin toss, complaining to the ref that we are getting a rough deal, attending post match press conferences and doing the obligatory NRL promo activities.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: May 14, 2018, 1:23 pm Not this one again!
After last night. Im not surprised
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The point is, players are inspired by those who lead by example of being best in class.

You want peak performance, but don’t want to appoint elite players in leadership positions, let’s see how we go with that. Oh wait, we’ve tried that...

This is without doubt one of the most mentally weak Raiders teams I’ve ever supported. Given the talent we have at the club, we’ve been extremely disappointing.

Speaks volumes that one of the most stubborn coaches in Ricky Stuart, actually sought external help to improve Jarrod Croker’s captaincy.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: May 14, 2018, 8:34 pm The point is, players are inspired by those who lead by example of being best in class.

You want peak performance, but don’t want to appoint elite players in leadership positions, let’s see how we go with that. Oh wait, we’ve tried that...

This is without doubt one of the most mentally weak Raiders teams I’ve ever supported. Given the talent we have at the club, we’ve been extremely disappointing.

Speaks volumes that one of the most stubborn coaches in Ricky Stuart, actually sought external help to improve Jarrod Croker’s captaincy.
So which of our elite players should be in the leadership positions?
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Northern Raider wrote:
yeh raiders wrote: May 14, 2018, 8:34 pm The point is, players are inspired by those who lead by example of being best in class.

Captain Croker and Daddy Tapine.

"Leadership Group" sorted.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Sossman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Captain Croker and Daddy Tapine.

"Leadership Group" sorted.

Co-captains - Sia and Hodgo

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2018, 8:21 pm What I'm still trying to get my head around is that or fortunes will somehow change if one of the other current players in our squad is given the task of attending the coin toss, complaining to the ref that we are getting a rough deal, attending post match press conferences and doing the obligatory NRL promo activities.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Nailed it. Replace Croker with the best two-up player the territory has to offer.
Problem **** solved
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: May 14, 2018, 8:48 pm
Co-captains - Sia and Hodgo

Hodgo was captain last year while Croker was out injured. We lost so he obviously didn't provide the inspiration you crave.

Sia is currently out there doing his job. Why is he not inspiring those around him right now?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

A solid yes vote for Jaryd Crocker from me.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: