Pull Sezer’s offer

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Pull Sezer’s offer

Post by Mickey_Raider »

If we are happy for our ceiling to be to beat up on bottom 4-5 sides, then re-sign him.

If we aren’t, pull the offer.

Today was a perfect opportunity for him to show us he can manage a game against a reasonable side.

He failed miserably. And I’ve seen enough.
Up The Milk
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Re: Pull Sezer’s offer

Post by VictorTheViking »

And sign who??? Theres nobody better out there available

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Haha here come the over reactions just waiting for that loss.

And buy who? There is no one better to buy...

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Sydney_Raider
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Sydney_Raider »

VictorTheViking wrote: May 13, 2018, 6:04 pm And sign who??? Theres nobody better out there available

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Rubbish.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He hasnt responded well since his two good games in a row.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

'GIVE SOIZER THA KEYS TO THA SOIDE!!!', they said.

He sure got the keys today. Smashed the thing to pieces and wrote it off completely.
Last edited by afgtnk on May 13, 2018, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Honestly at this point id be bummed if we lost papalii but the rest i dont care. What happens happens.

We would be insane to offer either sezer or boyd big money to keep them
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That was a very bad performance from him
Well, WELL below the form he’s showed most of this season
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Brew wrote: May 13, 2018, 6:05 pm Haha here come the over reactions just waiting for that loss.

Is it really an overreaction though? I have already conceded that he is adequate if you are happy being the 10th-14th best team in the competition. I have no doubt he will have a good game the next time we play the eels or bulldogs or something like that.

But you honestly need much more from
That from a halfback. He will
Not lead us to a premiership.
Last edited by Mickey_Raider on May 13, 2018, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up The Milk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Pete Cash wrote: May 13, 2018, 6:11 pm Honestly at this point id be bummed if we lost papalii but the rest i dont care. What happens happens.

We would be insane to offer either sezer or boyd big money to keep them
How good was Papalii? We just need to tell him the comp starts in January so he is fit by kick off.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Yeah he was fantastic. Has looked great since moving to lock and losing a few kilos.

He is must keep.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

No...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Hingano didn't do anything to help either
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

He's a real plodder. It's highly unfortunate he's the best we can get for next season.

Big pressure game like that to get the season back on track. That's the exact type of game we always fold in.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Like it or not, Sezer has been our best half for a fair while now. Austin has gone backwards, Hingano has done nothing of note and Williams is....well....Williams. You would only cut Sezer loose if you had a better option. Right now we don’t.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Hopefully we get a proper look at Hingano for a few weeks. You cant really tell much based on half a game at 5/8th.
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

What about......drum roll.....Moses Mbye? Cue get smart music...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

edwahu wrote: May 13, 2018, 7:01 pm Hopefully we get a proper look at Hingano for a few weeks. You cant really tell much based on half a game at 5/8th.
I thought some of his D was good. There was some solid stuff at times and I usually see Tapine, Papa and Whitey peeling off the tackle. I was surprised to see Hingano in amongst it.
Sydney_Raider
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Sydney_Raider »

As Ricky conceded in the press conference Hingano hasn't been training as a half so prepared to give him benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he plays 6 next week and Garvey is on the bench. Personally I would drop Sezer but given the circumstances he will be there.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I just can't fathom that someone who trains all week like these guys can be so despicable kicking a football. I just can't. I've barely kicked a footy in 2 years and i'd back myself in to do a better job. It's impossible to be this bad after practicing all week, it's actually hard to imagine how a professional half can stuff up the last tackle options that many times in 80 minutes.

I agree with Pigman that this was well below what he's played mostly this season, but how can anyone dismiss Mickey Raider's point about the good games Sezer having being against the minnows? I have nothing against Sezer but it's a fair point.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Brew wrote: May 13, 2018, 6:05 pm Haha here come the over reactions just waiting for that loss.

Is it really an overreaction though? I have already conceded that he is adequate if you are happy being the 10th-14th best team in the competition. I have no doubt he will have a good game the next time we play the eels or bulldogs or something like that.

Do you want a news flash. The Canberra Raiders aren’t winning a premiership any time soon. Sign who you want. No one will live there and we will never compete with clubs like Brisbane and the Roosters.

Which halfback can we realistically buy to live in Canberra that is better then him??

In Ricky We Trust
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Brew wrote: May 13, 2018, 8:12 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:

Do you want a news flash. The Canberra Raiders aren’t winning a premiership any time soon. Sign who you want. No one will live there and we will never compete with clubs like Brisbane and the Roosters.

Which halfback can we realistically buy to live in Canberra that is better then him??

:doubt:

That is absolute garbage. Don’t buy it at all.

On paper, 3 years ago I looked at a Sezer-Austin halves combo as having the ingredients to be successful. On their ostensible trajectory they could have lead us to great things.

For some reason both have regressed. Many have their suspicions as to why they have regressed, but that’s another matter. The fact is they have regressed.

Now, if we aren’t going to overhaul the coaching staff and front office, then the next best thing to do is turn over the players who aren’t performing.

To do neither is the definition of insanity because what we are doing now just is not working.

But back to your original point, I think it is incorrect to pin things on Canberra as a place to live. Players will move for a variety of reasons including club culture, money, personal career enhancement and club success.

At the moment we are offering nothing to prospective signings. But if we created a strong culture where players could sign confidently knowing their careers wouldn’t stall and with a fighting chance of premiership success, then players would sign.

Even if right now we can’t realistically sign a Cronk or Thurston calibre player, it is still insanity to persist with what has failed us. Why not make it number 1 priority to find the best young half in the country and throw some cash at him?
Up The Milk
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Woodgers wrote: May 13, 2018, 7:12 pm I just can't fathom that someone who trains all week like these guys can be so despicable kicking a football. I just can't. I've barely kicked a footy in 2 years and i'd back myself in to do a better job. It's impossible to be this bad after practicing all week, it's actually hard to imagine how a professional half can stuff up the last tackle options that many times in 80 minutes.
On the training paddock, I bet he can kick better with his eyes closed.

But those mistakes come from pressure. Our team are mentally weak and Sezer can’t handle the heat.

Today, when the game was on the line and we needed Sezer to step up and take control, he left the building.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Pull Sezer’s offer

Post by LastRaider »

yeh raiders wrote:
Woodgers wrote: May 13, 2018, 7:12 pm I just can't fathom that someone who trains all week like these guys can be so despicable kicking a football. I just can't. I've barely kicked a footy in 2 years and i'd back myself in to do a better job. It's impossible to be this bad after practicing all week, it's actually hard to imagine how a professional half can stuff up the last tackle options that many times in 80 minutes.

But those mistakes come from pressure. Our team are mentally weak and Sezer can’t handle the heat.

Today, when the game was on the line and we needed Sezer to step up and take control, he left the building.
We are unfit as well. We fatigue and make poor decisions under pressure. I really don’t know what the team did in the off season. They should have been flogged (running exercises until they can hardly breathe) and then had a series of mind games and situations by which they need to make decisions and then if a bad decision is made, flog them again. Repeat every day until they get it

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

LastRaider wrote: May 13, 2018, 8:57 pm
yeh raiders wrote:

We are unfit as well. We fatigue and make poor decisions under pressure. I really don’t know what the team did in the off season. They should have been flogged (running exercises until they can hardly breathe) and then had a series of mind games and situations by which they need to make decisions and then if a bad decision is made, flog them again. Repeat every day until they get it

Toughest preseason ever mate...they are fitter than ever before.

I'm signing off, early start tomorrow..ill sleep sound..later all.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I like Sezer
I've been one of his staunchest critics. But i've never shied away from upgrading him. If we can upgrade ANY position, we should do it.

Here's the trouble with the halves, and Blake Austin is as much a victim, if not more so, than Sezer. Our coach kills halves. That's just what it is at this point. EVERY half he's ever coached has regressed. EVERYONE of them. Save for Brad Fitler who probably retired too soon to get caught up.

I believe in Sezer's talent, believe it or not i believe in Austin's talent too. I was all about them both.
Today was an undeniably dreadful Sezer game, one of his worst. Austin at this point is mostly a net negative. The trend continues.

If it were up to me, i'd bury everyone who cant point to QBN on a map in a shallow RL grave, make Ivan Cleary the highest paid coach in the league, and then give Munster/Cleary jr 3m between them, and see what happens

But under this regime, our halves will always struggle. The fact that Blake Austin's game still virtually entirely revolves around a dummy is a disgrace to the current coaching staff. This is a man who is supremely talented. And under their leadership, he's not worth re-signing because he cant tackle and the show and go is all he's got in his bag.

Cooper Cronk started out his FG career as a back up hooker, and the coaching staff developed him into a star. Coaching matters.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote: May 13, 2018, 9:48 pm I like Sezer
I've been one of his staunchest critics. But i've never shied away from upgrading him. If we can upgrade ANY position, we should do it.

Here's the trouble with the halves, and Blake Austin is as much a victim, if not more so, than Sezer. Our coach kills halves. That's just what it is at this point. EVERY half he's ever coached has regressed. EVERYONE of them. Save for Brad Fitler who probably retired too soon to get caught up.

I believe in Sezer's talent, believe it or not i believe in Austin's talent too. I was all about them both.
Today was an undeniably dreadful Sezer game, one of his worst. Austin at this point is mostly a net negative. The trend continues.

If it were up to me, i'd bury everyone who cant point to QBN on a map in a shallow RL grave, make Ivan Cleary the highest paid coach in the league, and then give Munster/Cleary jr 3m between them, and see what happens

But under this regime, our halves will always struggle. The fact that Blake Austin's game still virtually entirely revolves around a dummy is a disgrace to the current coaching staff. This is a man who is supremely talented. And under their leadership, he's not worth re-signing because he cant tackle and the show and go is all he's got in his bag.

Cooper Cronk started out his FG career as a back up hooker, and the coaching staff developed him into a star. Coaching matters.
Any success we have had in the past few years looks to be off the back of individual brilliance and just tossing it around. You look at the professional sides in the comp and they actually work there way around the field in a structured and methodical way. Do we have a set move? Can we get anything that looks like its been practised and perfected 1,000 times.
I seriously need to get to a training session because I just need to know.

And yes Sezer was garbage.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Yeah stuart is clearly stifling both of them.

2016 is the anomaly here. The norm is all the other years. 2016 was build on the simply freakish form of BJ and Rapana while hodgson had a good season.

Austin has more or less got worse every year. Sezer has had flashes of brilliance but its been mostly quite reserved. Stuart was a great halfback but i reckon he would play 12 behemoths and hodgson playmaking out of dummy half if he could get away with it.

Like that second half we **** the bed but a lot of that was down to coaches orders. He basically told us to defend the lead which is madness if you think of it objectively. If there is one thing i can say for a fact about the 2018 raiders is that we suck at defending a lead
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Stuarts kills everyone. 2016 they were all fresh. Austin was just into Green, got 5/8 of the year. Hodgson was just into Green, was leading the Dally M's early on but then he got a bit too much Stuart into him and started to drop off, followed up by a horror year for all of them...

Stuart can pick players to sign but once they arrive they slowly get all their talent and creatively sapped out of them with boring game plans and lack of coaching ability...
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Sezer just looks rushed in everything he does. So his plays wind up looking either pre-conceived or rushed. I don't really know if you can coach somebody to slow down and play with a more measured approach.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 14, 2018, 7:28 am Sezer just looks rushed in everything he does. So his plays wind up looking either pre-conceived or rushed. I don't really know if you can coach somebody to slow down and play with a more measured approach.
Cartwright managed it. So did Henry in his one year.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Considering how well Sezer has otherwise played this year, this thread is somewhat hysterical. Come on, yes, the guy had an absolute glaringly awful shocker of a game yesterday at the worst possible time, but that doesn't mean we should suddenly ditch him like a hot potato.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

I can't believe people actually think Sezer has been anything special this year. Is that how low our standards for halves are?
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Sezer coached by the vampire. It happens...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:I can't believe people actually think Sezer has been anything special this year. Is that how low our standards for halves are?
I don't think anybody was saying he's been outstanding. All thats happened is he proved he was our best option after starting off as backup hooker. He had a stinker last night but otherwise has been fairly solid since moving back to the halves.

We still need to upgrade the position as our current options are poor. As Pigman says though, might not matter who we get while Sticky runs the ship.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.