2018 Rd 10 V Sharks: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks
Sunday 13 May 4:10pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 2:55pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Cloudy. Mostly cloudy. Winds southerly 20 to 30 km/h. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Min 5 Max 16

Round 9 2018. Canberra Raiders 32 - Gold Coast Titans 18. The Raiders produced a good win at home, and have won four of their last five matches. The season is almost back on an even keel, with a 4 and 5 record to start the season.

The Raiders were completely dominant in the first half taking a 20-0 lead to the break. There were easily three or four more try scoring opportunities that didn't quite come off. There were some nervous moments for the Canberra Stadium crowd when the Titans scored two quick tries to start the second half. The imposing lead was reduced to just eight points. Many would have thought: "Surely not again!" The Raiders reasserted control, but in the end, they were outpointed 18-12 in the second half. It was a comfortable victory, but there is still room for improvement in both attack and defence.

2018 Round 9 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

More on Round 9: As I saw it

The Raiders are again at home this week for their clash with the Cronulla Sharks. The Raiders are without Junior Paulo for the next 8-10 weeks (mid foot strain) - so Shannon Boyd moves to starting prop, while Charlie Gubb comes onto the bench. Craig Garvey joins the reserves list.

For the Sharks, Jayson Bukuya (virus) replaces the injured Wade Graham (hamstring) in the second row. Paul Gallen (knee) also returns at lock, with Joseph Paulo moving to the bench. Former Raider Scott Sorensen (broken hand) drops out of the squad. Former Raiders junior Jack Williams has been named to debut replacing Kurt Dillon, who moves to the reserves list. Another former Raider, Edrick Lee will start on the wing.

Late changes: All of the Raiders reserves, Liam Knight, Michael Oldfield, Craig Garvey and Jack Murchie played for Mounties on Saturday so the Raiders are set to be 1-17 for the match. Craig Garvey and Jack Murchie were the players omitted from the squad of 21 on Saturday afternoon.

For the Sharks, Jayson Bukuya has been ruled out with illness, with Kyle Flanagan the other player omitted on Saturday afternoon.

History: The Sharks have traditionally been a bit of a bogey team for the Raiders. Canberra has won 33 of 72 games against Cronulla - and four of the past 10. The Raiders are on a five game losing streak against the Sharks at home. That includes the 42-16 thrashing in Round 2 last year, and the 16-14 loss in Week 1 of the 2016 finals. Since 2005, the Raiders have won just three times at home, with the Sharks taking the competition points 11 times. Canberra has won 14 of the 27 matches played at Canberra Stadium. Surprisingly, the Raiders' best recent performances against Cronulla have come at Shark Park - a dominant 30-14 display in Round 22 of 2016 and a 30-12 victory in Round 22 of 2017. The Raiders have traditionally struggled against the Sharks away, but have now won the last four matches straight at Cronulla.

2017 Round 22 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2017 Round 2 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2016 Finals Week 1 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

In this week's "History Happens", we go back to a glorious afternoon in Canberra, Week 1 of the 2012 finals. The Raiders produced some amazing attacking play, while Josh Papalii took on Paul Gallen and dominated him. It's the match that produced this piece of classic commentary... "Stop it, it's starting to hurt! Rugby league, rugby league!" as the Raiders scored another sensational try.

2012 Finals Week 1 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

Form: The Raiders have a WWLWW form line in their past five matches, while the Sharks have a LLWWW record. The Sharks withstood a late surge from the Eels last week, running out narrow 22-20 winners. They also just beat the Titans in Round 8 on the Gold Coast, 10-9.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.55 favourites in this match, while the Sharks are paying $2.50. The Sharks have a 4.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: It is a clash between 8th and 11th on the ladder - with the Sharks having won one more match than the Raiders. Canberra (+15) has a better points differential than Cronulla (-21). The Sharks last three victories have been by a margin of just four points or less.

The Raiders are now top four in attack, averaging 23 points scored per match, while the Sharks have averaged just 16 (14th position). The Raiders have averaged just under four tries scored per match, the Sharks just over two. The Sharks, however, have slight advantage in defence. Canberra has conceded around 21 points per match (seventh worst in the league), Cronulla 19 points (ninth worst).

There's not much difference between the teams in terms of metres gained per match (Raiders 1416m, Sharks 1396m) and average runs per match (Raiders 157, Sharks 162m). The Sharks average more kicking metres (Sharks 441m, Raiders 385m). Canberra has a slightly better completion rate (Raiders 78 per cent, Sharks 76 per cent). Both teams average 10 penalties conceded, while the Sharks average slightly more errors (11-10). The Sharks produce more offloads per match (12-10), but the Raiders average more line breaks (5-3). Average tackles required (Sharks 336, Raiders 333) and missed (Raiders 31, Sharks 29) per match are similar.

Our tip: I'm a little surprised that the Raiders are such warm favourites in this match - particularly in light of the Shark's recent record at Bruce - and it will be much tougher for Canberra to win than the odds suggest. Cronulla are without Luke Lewis, Wade Graham and Josh Dugan. But the Sharks always play tough and Canberra must get in trenches with them early. Canberra will need to have an aggressive attitude in both attack and defence. Most of the statistics suggest the teams are fairly evenly matched. But if the Raiders forwards can win the battle in the middle, the Raiders should have too much strike in attack for the Sharks. Whichever way the result falls, it should be a close match. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Joe Tapine: "Top eight is a big goal for us and even the top four, so we’ve been working really hard just to get our image back. Everyone ruled us out and they don’t really think anything of us after a couple of losses but we’re here to prove them wrong and we’re the only ones that can change it."

Sia Soliola: "It’s generally the responsibility of the eldest I guess, to take charge of a lot of things. That’s where my role is as one of the senior players, just to lead more by our actions. We’ve practiced over a couple of months now what our mindset needs to be like when things generally don’t go our way. We’ve always backed ourselves in attack but the questions and challenges come in our defence and that is where a lot of our improvements have come."

Luke Bateman: "I know a lot of people have been saying that we haven’t really beaten anyone so it would be nice to go out there and perform well against someone who are considered genuine premiership contenders [in the Sharks]".

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Sia Soliola
9. Siliva Havili
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Ata Hingano
15. Luke Bateman
16. Charlie Gubb
17. Dunamis Lui

18. Liam Knight
19. Michael Oldfield

Cronulla Sharks

1. Valentine Holmes
2. Sosaia Feki
3. Jessie Ramien
4. Ricky Leutele
5. Edrick Lee
6. Matt Moylan
7. Chad Townsend
8. Andrew Fifita
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Matt Prior
11. Kurt Capewell
14. Joseph Paulo
13. Paul Gallen C

15. James Segeyaro
16. Ava Seumanufagai
17. Jack Williams
18. Kurt Dillon

19. Braden Uele
20. Briton Nikora

Officials:

Referees: Ben Cummins, Henry Perenara
Sideline Officials: Kasey Badger, Peter Gough
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersSharks

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
fulivai
David Grant

Re: 2018 Rd 10 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by fulivai »

Junior Paulo played for Canberra in 2012 ?
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

$1.54 very short...
Weve proven we can bully and beat up on VERY weak opponents, but we all know what happens when we play actual contenders for the title.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It beats me to why the Raiders seam to be hot favorites against our bogey team. Obviously the bookie’s don’t know what we know

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

LastRaider wrote:It beats me to why the Raiders seam to be hot favorites against our bogey team. Obviously the bookie’s don’t know what we know

We don't know what the bookies know, though.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Preview updated for latest squads, weather, betting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32767&p=1588930#p1588930
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Garvey omitted from the squad. We new it was going to happen but I had a little bit of hope for a last minute change to Hingano. Sigh!

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Imagine our collective surprise!

Anyway a win tomorrow means entering the top 8 for the first time all year.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

I think this is going to be a tough game to win if the boys to aim up physically they are screwed. A win puts them in the top 8. These are the kind of games we usually stuff up.
I’m sorry but I tip Sharks by 6.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

InFernos_Raiders wrote:I think this is going to be a tough game to win if the boys to aim up physically they are screwed. A win puts them in the top 8. These are the kind of games we usually stuff up.
I’m sorry but I tip Sharks by 6.
I think we'll get a better idea of where we're heading in 2018 today.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So Matt, what side does Ed play on ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote:Garvey omitted from the squad. We new it was going to happen but I had a little bit of hope for a last minute change to Hingano. Sigh!

I'm still struggling to understand how Sticky feels Hingano is a better option as back up hooker.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

This game is our season, we win its into 8th position and a 5/5 report card after 10 rounds and momentum building AND our home ground hoodoo gone, season on the line right here, cmon MIGHTY GREEN MACHINE!
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day.... go the Raiders
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

We haven’t beaten a top 8 team yet this season.... hopefully today is the day

Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

If the other game goes our way we could be as high as 7th, but 8th will be fine by me. Win this and we are one of the form teams coming up against the benchmark the following week.

Hi Christina.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Not the end of the world if we lose, but a win will make the season look pretty good considering.

Is it too much to ask to beat Sharks and Dragons ?
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

For this team, yes.

Cronulla are dropping like flies and will have their backs to the wall, we all know where this is going. We are paying low odds against a team that has many injuries, and we are playing for a top 8 spot. I sadly predict this side will show up with the same intensity that they did against South Sydney.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

If we win this we will have had a better start to the season than we did in 2016
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Bad feeling about this game unfortunately.

Has all the hallmarks of a Raiders bottle job. Channel 9 game, heavy favourites, at home, chance to put the season firmly on track = :doubt:
Up The Milk
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins

Post by GreenGuy »

Sticky keeps talking about the character of the team. Well, today is a true test of character.
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Bukuya ruled out, Gallen in doubt till kick off, Fifita to play with knee injured.

No Bukuya, Lewis and Graham is massive loss for Sharks.

Cant clock off today need a big performance despite these injuries.

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

DT late mail says Gallen is out
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Raiders666 wrote: May 13, 2018, 10:56 am If we win this we will have had a better start to the season than we did in 2016
That’s a crazy stat.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Beejay wrote: May 13, 2018, 11:52 am
Raiders666 wrote: May 13, 2018, 10:56 am If we win this we will have had a better start to the season than we did in 2016
That’s a crazy stat.
Its now all about finishing like we did in 2016 too. Our roster is still very similar and potentially Hodgo returning well before finals time. There's still hope.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Theyre ripe for the picking...need a big game from all today

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

There's no way when can "nod off" here for 15-20mins.

Our win against GC last week wasn't world beating stuff and this mob are a better side.

When we have them by the short and curlies let's finish them off.

A 80min performance needed here and I feel positive we'll get the chocolates on Mothers Day.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Well hello game day you sexy beast

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yesImage
Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raiders666 wrote:If we win this we will have had a better start to the season than we did in 2016
By half a game, much of a muchness

Worst part is we could easily have been 8-2 or 7-3 depending on today..
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

We are going to show we are a force today, I feel very positive !
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Not positive but hoping for a nice finish to a miserable weekend.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raiders are 1-17

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer