Raiders Golf Handicaps

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bay53
Steve Walters

Raiders Golf Handicaps

Post by Bay53 »

Was looking through the scores at Yowani today (where I am a member). The Raiders players must have had a day off today and a few played in the comp. Sadly I was working.

It seems Jordy Rapana had a good day coming second in A grade with 37 points.

For those interested here are the handicaps they are playing off (for those that understand these things - slope at Yowani is 130 off the whites which they would have used midweek so you normally play off a shot or two more than your GA handicap)

Rapana 16
Leilua 21
Williams 15
Papali 19

Jason Croker is obviously not a current player but I know is a member at both Yowani and Royal and played off 9 today.

Not sure if there are any gun golfers in the NRL. I know in the AFL there is - Brendon Goddard especially who
I reckon will have a crack at professional golf after he retires in the next couple of years.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Raiders Golf Handicaps

Post by Schifty »

I once shot a 99 at pitch n putt woden
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Bay53 wrote: May 9, 2018, 5:49 pm For those interested here are the handicaps they are playing off (for those that understand these things - slope at Yowani is 130 off the whites which they would have used midweek so you normally play off a shot or two more than your GA handicap)
And in English this means...?

I know the lower the number the better. That's all I know.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote:I once shot a 99 at pitch n putt woden
And how'd you go on the second hole?

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote:
Schifty wrote:I once shot a 99 at pitch n putt woden
And how'd you go on the second hole?

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I was asked to leave the course after making the bunker a foot deeper attempting to rectify a wayward tee shot.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

How'd you go a putt putt, schifty?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Trees, water and parked cars spoil golf.

I'm terrible at golf and carry 100s of spare balls. I always carry a spare in my pocket so when I'm in the bushes searching aimlessly for yet another lost ball I can pull the spare out and drop it on the ground and scream "found it".

It's a great social event though.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

reptar wrote: May 9, 2018, 6:41 pm How'd you go a putt putt, schifty?
I once got a hole in one on the 18th at Dickson.

That was a pretty big deal back then.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

I once got a hole in one on the 18th at Belconnen. had a terrible round but had been putting alright so decided to tee off with the putter. Good choice! Good times!
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

raiderskater wrote: May 9, 2018, 6:24 pm
Bay53 wrote: May 9, 2018, 5:49 pm For those interested here are the handicaps they are playing off (for those that understand these things - slope at Yowani is 130 off the whites which they would have used midweek so you normally play off a shot or two more than your GA handicap)
And in English this means...?

I know the lower the number the better. That's all I know.
Yes the lower the better. Basically in stroke rounds you count the number of hits you have and then subtract your handicap to get your score. There are some very good players that actually add stokes to their score because they have plus handicaps.

The confusing thing these days is your handicap actually changes depending on the difficulty of the course, something most club golfers can’t work out so I wasn’t going to explain it here.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

reptar wrote: May 9, 2018, 7:07 pm I once got a hole in one on the 18th at Belconnen. had a terrible round but had been putting alright so decided to tee off with the putter. Good choice! Good times!
You fair dinkum? You hit a putter off the tee and put it in the hole?? The 18th at Belconnen is pretty steep uphill too which makes it even more amazing.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Bay53 wrote:
reptar wrote: May 9, 2018, 7:07 pm I once got a hole in one on the 18th at Belconnen. had a terrible round but had been putting alright so decided to tee off with the putter. Good choice! Good times!
You fair dinkum? You hit a putter off the tee and put it in the hole?? The 18th at Belconnen is pretty steep uphill too which makes it even more amazing.
Dead serious. I would call it skill but the rest of the round would prove otherwise. Can't remember the exact score but i went something like 100+ over par.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I defend my 32 handicap with a passion (26ish would be a bit more genuine), it makes me a handy Ambrose team member.
Only play a few times a tear but generally try to play 9 at gold creek when in Canberra

Edrick The Entertainer
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

reptar wrote: May 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
Bay53 wrote:
Dead serious. I would call it skill but the rest of the round would prove otherwise. Can't remember the exact score but i went something like 100+ over par.
Awesome shot we play celebrity holes at our local in Chinderah. There's 5 celebrity holes with all different rules. The 13th is normally lefty righty which means you play with your non favoured hand. On one particular day there was no lefty's playing so we decided on using the putter on the par 3. My mate teed off first and hit it sweet only problem was the the putter head came clean off needless to say no one followed suit. :thumbsup
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bay53 wrote:
The Australian cricket side is down a few batsmen. With those sort of numbers you're a shoe-in.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I went around Toronto in 107.

That's +35
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

BigPapa wrote:
Bay53 wrote:
Awesome shot we play celebrity holes at our local in Chinderah. There's 5 celebrity holes with all different rules. The 13th is normally lefty righty which means you play with your non favoured hand. On one particular day there was no lefty's playing so we decided on using the putter on the par 3. My mate teed off first and hit it sweet only problem was the the putter head came clean off needless to say no one followed suit. :thumbsup
haha at that point if the putter had broken like that I'd probably never have played again!

It's been probably 10 years since I last played. Perhaps some time at a driving range to remind me why is in order soon!
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

gergreg wrote:
Bay53 wrote:
The Australian cricket side is down a few batsmen. With those sort of numbers you're a shoe-in.
My skill in cricket was never with the bat. Okay for a quick fire 20 occasionally. This shows in my golf.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

So for those who have no idea how good are they?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

cat wrote: May 9, 2018, 9:38 pm So for those who have no idea how good are they?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Handicaps between 15-18 is probably where the average club golfer is at. Mind you the average age is probably 45-50 with plenty being well over that.

Having only seen a couple of them hit a ball once or twice, I don’t really know but I get the feeling all can hit the ball a long way because they are so strong but don’t play enough to be able to control it. I am sure that as professional sports people they have enough pressure when playing sports so golf is fun that they don’t take too seriously. If they got playing consistently I am sure those handicaps would drop quickly.

I think it is great they are playing golf on their days off. I went to a sportsman’s night once with Brendon Goddard and he was saying that when he was at St Kilda one of his coaches was against him playing golf all the time. I thought that was disgusting. What is the alternative, they sit around doing nothing, and we all know how that ends up. They are very unlikely to get injured playing golf and walking 10 kms I would have thought was a great way to get the body moving but at their level of fitness is not going to tire them out for the weekend.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Only About 10% of proper handicapped golfers have a single figure handicap.

But a lot of golfers are around the handicap figures the Raiders have. To be honest I thought they may have been a bit lower considering their natural sporting ability.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

going by instagram a fair few of them seem to be keen on their golf, seems to be what we make out the mountain biking to be lol
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Leilua rapana and Williams play a lot of golf together

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

reptar wrote:I once got a hole in one on the 18th at Belconnen. had a terrible round but had been putting alright so decided to tee off with the putter. Good choice! Good times!
Woods and putting i go alright with, irons I suck. So I played bunda pitch and putt with just a putter, worked really well haha
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Not sure about current players in the NRL but Ben Ikin is a member of my home club in Brisbane and plays off 9.

I was also paired in the same group as Braith Anasta way back in 1998 at the state age titles at Liverpool - he played off scratch at the time but choose league over golf.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

CJ42 wrote: May 10, 2018, 11:16 am
reptar wrote:I once got a hole in one on the 18th at Belconnen. had a terrible round but had been putting alright so decided to tee off with the putter. Good choice! Good times!
Woods and putting i go alright with, irons I suck. So I played bunda pitch and putt with just a putter, worked really well haha
Haha. My putting isn't bad. 2 or 3 putt most holes. It's getting onto the green at all that escapes me.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Wouldnt mind having a round with a couple of the boys. My 10 handicap would go well with the boys :P
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

-PJ- wrote: May 9, 2018, 6:48 pm Trees, water and parked cars spoil golf.

I'm terrible at golf and carry 100s of spare balls. I always carry a spare in my pocket so when I'm in the bushes searching aimlessly for yet another lost ball I can pull the spare out and drop it on the ground and scream "found it".

It's a great social event though.

Is that you Mario ?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I played in a Pro Am a few weeks ago and Jordan Rapana was there (note it was the day after playing for Raiders.)

From a distance I thought he was a massive framed professional golfer in his slick black skins under his Golf gear. But then I saw his practice swing.......