Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: May 10, 2018, 11:21 am
dubby wrote: May 10, 2018, 11:19 am Jesus also said go and sin no more.

And sadly Nick, you don't believe the act of homosexuality is a sin. It is.
That is so deeply offensive on so many levels. You're genuinely EDIT.
Then you condemn all of Christianity.

Let me be clear.

I've NOTHING against gay people. NOTHING.

OK?

Jesus died for ALL of us. He made it pretty clear how to live.

If you don't want to accept it, that's your choice.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

What an awful thread.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: May 10, 2018, 11:23 am
The Nickman wrote: May 10, 2018, 11:21 am
dubby wrote: May 10, 2018, 11:19 am Jesus also said go and sin no more.

And sadly Nick, you don't believe the act of homosexuality is a sin. It is.
That is so deeply offensive on so many levels. You're genuinely EDIT.
Then you condemn all of Christianity.

Let me be clear.

I've NOTHING against gay people. NOTHING.

OK?

Jesus died for ALL of us. He made it pretty clear how to live.

If you don't want to accept it, that's your choice.
Do you think being gay is a choice and people can just choose not to be?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

You want me to make a very judgemental opinion, but in other examples slam me of being judgemental?

I think every one is different.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: May 10, 2018, 11:33 am You want me to make a very judgemental opinion, but in other examples slam me of being judgemental?

I think every one is different.
You saying that being homosexual is a sin implies that you think it is a choice.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

No mate - being a homosexual is NOT.

Sodomy, the scripture from Corinthians explained it.

Please understand, I'm not playing the man. Just the act, which is what sin is....an act which seperates us from God

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: May 10, 2018, 11:40 am No mate - being a homosexual is NOT.

Sodomy, the scripture from Corinthians explained it.

Please understand, I'm not playing the man. Just the act, which is what sin is....an act which seperates us from God
Please understand that you're being a truly offensive ****.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

And I think you're being obtuse.

I've tried to make it clear. I've provided you with examples from the new testament, yet you still think I'm *****.

Well, let's just end it there. There's absolutely no point discussing it further.

And any future insult from you will be reported and hopefully moderated appropriately.

Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

I won't be lectured by a bunch of biblically correct (BC) Corninthians on what I can and can't do with my butt.

Wait, is butt sex in a heterosexual relationship a sin as well?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Sossman wrote:I won't be lectured by a bunch of biblically correct (BC) Corninthians on what I can and can't do with my butt.

Wait, is butt sex in a heterosexual relationship a sin as well?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Depends on whether or not certain toys are involved.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: May 10, 2018, 11:43 am

All that passage of scripture tells me is that you should being a judgmental **** towards others.

You're genuinely a piece of ****.

… hiding behind your **** outdated kiddy-fiddling religion while you do it
It's amazing. I completely disagree with Dubby's views yet find myself awarding the debate to him by default. You want an example of turning the other cheek in practice, it's remaining civil in response to this little tirade.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: May 10, 2018, 12:14 pm And I think you're being obtuse.

I've tried to make it clear. I've provided you with examples from the new testament, yet you still think I'm *****.

Well, let's just end it there. There's absolutely no point discussing it further.

And any future insult from you will be reported and hopefully moderated appropriately.
Good, because I think you're a ****. And let me make this clear, I'm not being obtuse at all, you're just a plain a-grade ****.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: May 10, 2018, 12:40 pm

All that passage of scripture tells me is that you should being a judgmental **** towards others.

It's amazing. I completely disagree with Dubby's views yet find myself awarding the debate to him by default. You want an example of turning the other cheek in practice, it's remaining civil in response to this little tirade.
Imagine my surprise that you side with dubby on this one. You go all silent once he starts parading his **** around the place, yet you'd be all over anyone else who shared the same views, as evidenced by the way you treated Bay.

It's just plain old hipocrsy 101. Award it to whoever you want. Still makes him a ****.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

It's all pretty simple the end.

Some will always use the Bible as an excuse to justify their hatred of gay people. Yet when people bring othet stuff up it's "Out if context/that's an outdated version/ you don't take that literally"

It's the ultimate cop-out for irrational hatred and discrimination.

The marriage equality survey saw some of the worst of this come out. At the same time you also had many religious leaders advocate for the yes vote on the basis they weren't complete ****s.

Also you can't say you don't hate someone and at the same time say they will burn in hell for eternity.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Schifty wrote: May 10, 2018, 1:03 pm It's all pretty simple the end.

Some will always use the Bible as an excuse to justify their hatred of gay people. Yet when people bring othet stuff up it's "Out if context/that's an outdated version/ you don't take that literally"

It's the ultimate cop-out for irrational hatred and discrimination.

The marriage equality survey saw some of the worst of this come out. At the same time you also had many religious leaders advocate for the yes vote on the basis they weren't complete ****s.

Also you can't say you don't hate someone and at the same time say they will burn in hell for eternity.
Sounds like the behaviour of a grade-A **** to me.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: May 10, 2018, 1:03 pm
T_R wrote: May 10, 2018, 12:40 pm

Imagine my surprise that you side with dubby on this one. You go all silent once he starts parading his **** around the place, yet you'd be all over anyone else who shared the same views, as evidenced by the way you treated Bay.

It's just plain old hipocrsy 101. Award it to whoever you want. Still makes him a ****.
1/ Read the second sentence. Sound out the harder words until they make sense. I don't side with Dubby. I fundamentally and completely disagree with his views to the utmost degree.

2/ The fact is, Dubs has presented his views here reasonably and respectfully, while you and others have repeatedly lined him up for personal abuse.

This isn't about defending Dubby, his views or otherwise. This is about calling out a bully.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I don't care, the man is a deadset ****, and I'm sick of his **** and I'm going to call a **** a **** from now on.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

And if it's not about defending said ****, then it sure is interesting how you have a dog in every fight but always disappear once **** saunters in with his Bull. REAL interesting.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: May 10, 2018, 1:13 pm I don't care, the man is a deadset ****, and I'm sick of his **** and I'm going to call a **** a **** from now on.
If that makes you happy, go for it.

I think someone reading this thread though would say that is you who is the deadset ****, and Dubs would be completely entitled to be sick of your **** and should call a **** a **** from now on.

Amazing that you can fill page after page of posts preaching to someone to be more respectful to others while screeching at them that they are a **** all the time.

Even more amazing then you can call someone else a hypocrite with a straight face.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: May 10, 2018, 1:17 pm
The Nickman wrote: May 10, 2018, 1:13 pm I don't care, the man is a deadset ****, and I'm sick of his **** and I'm going to call a **** a **** from now on.
If that makes you happy, go for it.

I think someone reading this thread though would say that is your were the deadset ****, and Dubs would be completely entitled to be sick of your **** and should call a **** a **** from now on.

Amazing that you can fill page after page of posts preaching to someone to be more respectful to others while screeching at them that they are a **** all the time.

Even more amazing then you can call someone else a hypocrite with a straight face.
Be interesting to see how many people reading this thread think that, yeah.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'd love for anyone who's been reading this thread or stumbles upon it to speak up when they get to this part.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: May 10, 2018, 1:15 pm And if it's not about defending said ****, then it sure is interesting how you have a dog in every fight but always disappear once **** saunters in with his Bull. REAL interesting.
I don't have a dog in the fight at all.

I popped into to quietly mod the thread, and had no idea where to start.

You know for a fact I'm not defending anyone's views here, so stop loading me up (yet again). You also have absolutely no idea about communication I've had with Dubby, and - here's a scoop - you're making a dick of yourself in your ignorance.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Rather be a dick than a **** I guess. Plus you completely misread my post about having a dog in the fight. Read it again.

You've been doing that a lot lately, it's very unbecoming of you.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: May 10, 2018, 1:20 pm Rather be a dick than a **** I guess.
Marginally better, yes. I think we should all aspire to that kind of lofty ideal.

Just reread the dog in the fight comment and still can't see how I missed what you were trying to say.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: May 10, 2018, 1:22 pm
Marginally better, yes. I think we should all aspire to that kind of lofty ideal.

Just reread the dog in the fight comment and still can't see how I missed what you were trying to say.
I said you have a dog in every other fight except this one when dubby's involved, not that you have a dog in this fight. And you were pretty vocal on this topic when Bay was involved, but seem strangely quiet (for you) whenever dubby gets on his soapbox. THAT'S what I said.

I also find it pretty disgusting behaviour that you've clearly had discussions with dubby about this in private yet feel the need to give me a public hosing down. Just shows the level of respect you hold for the two of us respectively, I guess.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: May 10, 2018, 2:42 pm
T_R wrote: May 10, 2018, 1:22 pm

I said you have a dog in every other fight except this one when dubby's involved, not that you have a dog in this fight. And you were pretty vocal on this topic when Bay was involved, but seem strangely quiet (for you) whenever dubby gets on his soapbox. THAT'S what I said.

I also find it pretty disgusting behaviour that you've clearly had discussions with dubby about this in private yet feel the need to give me a public hosing down. Just shows the level of respect you hold for the two of us respectively, I guess.
Yeah Nick, that's what it says. Are you OK? Seriously. You want respect? How about you stop following Dubby around in multiple threads telling him how bad a person he is.

You want an example of disgusting? Your latest post on the front page, where Dubs was just trying to talk football. You've said your piece and everyone knows loud and clear how you feel. The school yard bully act is pretty bloody feeble in a 14 year old and downright embarrassing in an adult.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There is a lot of name calling in this thread, which is against the forum guidelines. Clearly there are many different views and they've all been fully explored. Let me be clear... as TR has been... I very firmly disagree with dubby on these issues. But the name calling has to stop.

I'll lock the thread until people calm down.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'll just leave this here Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

To be fair TW no one knows more about harming children than the Catholic Church, they’ve mastered it over the centuries.

With the Pell appeal on Wednesday I was under the false belief that would be the end of it and if he walks that would be it, this article was heartening.

“George Pell stands a good chance of winning his appeal next week. Not that that would be the end of the matter. Lately the Victorian court of appeal has overturned a number of jury verdicts in child abuse cases, only to see those verdicts restored by the high court.

Child abuse cases are hard. The rules of evidence are complex. Witnesses are few. These assaults are inherently outlandish. Victims are frequently damaged. Often at stake is the ruin of old men who have never before been accused of crimes.

A gap has opened up between the Canberra and Melbourne courts in the past few years in child abuse cases. The language of the high court has been polite but its rebukes have been emphatic. Again and again it has backed trial judges and juries. Offenders set free on appeal in Melbourne find themselves behind bars once again“

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... his-appeal
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

-TW- wrote: June 2, 2019, 5:45 pm I'll just leave this here Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Just reading about this particular bishop, as if his tweet wasn’t bad enough he has previously admitted to knowing about priests abusing children but didn’t report it as it wasn’t his job.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Well this settles it once and for all. There is no god.

War, famine, pestilence... it’s hard to understand god allowing them. But the 2019 Raiders not getting premiership rings? Can’t be explained.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

gangrenous wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:36 pm Well this settles it once and for all. There is no god.

War, famine, pestilence... it’s hard to understand god allowing them. But the 2019 Raiders not getting premiership rings? Can’t be explained.
Exactly. Surely the evidence is insurmountable now.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

gangrenous wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:36 pm

War, famine, pestilence... it’s hard to understand god allowing them.
You haven’t read the Bible have you mate?

The problem of evil argument only negates the idea of an omnipotent, omnibenevolent, and omniscient god but there’s no reason a god would need to have all those qualities.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You always work this hard to dissect a joke as though it is serious discourse after losing grand finals bushy?
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Another win for peodophiles and the liberal party.

Yeh, go team.
WorkChoice