Matty Johns says he'd pick Nick Cotric for NSW Blues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Matty Johns locks in eight players for NSW side, raises concerns over fullback contenders

NICK COTRIC

“I’m hearing people say you don’t want to blood too many rookies, I understand that but we’re not winning series. So are we just going to go with the guys who haven’t done it before?

“Are we going to reward people who have been there and not done it?”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... 5263cf3eb4
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Matty Johns picks Cotric for NSW

Post by -PJ- »

Matt Johns is spot on here.

But who cares what Matt Johns thinks.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

I had a chat to him after his show on Sunday. He said Cotric and Addo-Carr will be the starting wingers. He said NSW need to go in a different direction to players like Dugan and Ferguson. "Put it this way, it's not a coincidence that when Dugan left the Dragons they went up, and when he joined the Sharks they went down" was what he told me. 😂
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Peter wrote: May 9, 2018, 5:29 pm I had a chat to him after his show on Sunday. He said Cotric and Addo-Carr will be the starting wingers. He said NSW need to go in a different direction to players like Dugan and Ferguson. "Put it this way, it's not a coincidence that when Dugan left the Dragons they went up, and when he joined the Sharks they went down" was what he told me. 😂
That's what I said!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Nick Cotric eyes Origin 'opportunity of a lifetime'

Rising star Nick Cotric says a State of Origin debut would be "the opportunity of a lifetime" and he will be ready to "take it with both hands" should Brad Fittler come calling. Cotric has been on NSW Blues coach Fittler's radar for months.

"I’ll definitely take it with both hands, the opportunity of a lifetime," Cotric said. "But I’m just focusing each week on our weekend games and doing the best I can for the club.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zdnc.html
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Don't Cotric and Addo-Carr both play on the left?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Finchy wrote: May 9, 2018, 6:06 pm Don't Cotric and Addo-Carr both play on the left?
Yep
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Don't get me wrong because Dugan is a douche, but losing/gaining Maloney, Hunt and Graham is a bigger factor on both clubs.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: Matty Johns says he'd pick Nick Cotric for NSW Blues

Post by raiderskater »

Oooh, that would be lovely to see Cotric in the sky blue.

As long as he doesn't get hurt.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:Don't get me wrong because Dugan is a douche, but losing/gaining Maloney, Hunt and Graham is a bigger factor on both clubs.
It’s interrelated though. Can’t afford Hunt and Graham while you’re paying Dugan overs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Nick Cotric doing his best to dodge Origin hype

Canberra winger Nick Cotric can't sidestep speculation suggesting he's in line for a surprise call-up to the NSW Blues squad but he's taking it in his stride.

"Since I was little kid it was always a dream of mine to pull that Blues jersey on," Cotric said. "I remember watching it as a kid, with the family and friends watching Origin, so it would definitely be a dream of mine."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/10/nic ... igin-hype/

Raiders' Cotric would be ready for Origin: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/raiders-cot ... for-origin
Krypto
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: All of them

Post by Krypto »

With Latrell likely out, I wonder if that means Cotric will be in the sky blue for game 2. It'll be interesting to see what Freddy goes with and if Cotric does get selected would he be in the centres or wing?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Krypto wrote: June 15, 2018, 9:24 pm With Latrell likely out, I wonder if that means Cotric will be in the sky blue for game 2. It'll be interesting to see what Freddy goes with and if Cotric does get selected would he be in the centres or wing?
If Latrell is out I'd think Turbo would go to centre and Cotric to wing.
Krypto
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: All of them

Post by Krypto »

I don't believe Turbo has ever played in the centres so to ask him to play there in the toughest game would be a big risk. As opposed to Cotric who although has played all his FG on the wing, he did play a lot of centre in the lower grades so would be a safer bet I would think.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I believe Turbo was been considered as a centre ahead of Roberts in game 1, that's why I would think it's the more likely of the two options.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I reckon Freddy will put Peachey in the centres, and then bring Wade Graham back on the bench

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

the bone wrote:I reckon Freddy will put Peachey in the centres, and then bring Wade Graham back on the bench

Thats most likely. Or Fergo comes in. Been killing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

roneel78 wrote:
the bone wrote:I reckon Freddy will put Peachey in the centres, and then bring Wade Graham back on the bench

just limped off fergo

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Krypto wrote:I don't believe Turbo has ever played in the centres so to ask him to play there in the toughest game would be a big risk. As opposed to Cotric who although has played all his FG on the wing, he did play a lot of centre in the lower grades so would be a safer bet I would think.
T Trbojevic played centre very well for Australia against Lebanon, best player that night according to Mal

176m from 16 carries
15 tackles
1 try
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

roneel78 wrote:

Fergo should be stamped never to play for NSW again, doesn't matter how good he's playing. Part of the old toxic culture.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ferguson should never play rep football ever again. Not ever again.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

greeneyed wrote:Ferguson should never play rep football ever again. Not ever again.
Agreed

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Cotric's time will come. If you need a centre it's peach or Aiken (or is he injured??) More likely to see Nick get a run in the game 3 dead rubber with a view to 2019.
Last edited by Billy Walker on June 15, 2018, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

the bone wrote: June 15, 2018, 10:36 pm
greeneyed wrote:Ferguson should never play rep football ever again. Not ever again.
Agreed

I also agree! Despite him being a total tool on the breezers; when you see him scoring tries in the corner, good in the air, and even slotting conversions from the sideline, I feel a degree of sadness. The man has been very good, but he could have been anything. I wish a Soliolo like character got to him early and squeezed all he could be out of him. Ah good luck to him but no more rep jumpers for my liking thanks...
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Billy Walker wrote:
Agreed

I also agree! Despite him being a total tool on the breezers; when you see him scoring tries in the corner, good in the air, and even slotting conversions from the sideline, I feel a degree of sadness. The man has been very good, but he could have been anything. I wish a Soliolo like character got to him early and squeezed all he could be out of him. Ah good luck to him but no more rep jumpers for my liking thanks...
Hahaha the sharks couldn’t handle him back then and they had Gallen to try and pull him into line.

Ricky Stuart actually helped get him to Canberra with a view that the quieter lifestyle and being away from the Sydney media would help ground him........it didn’t

He was never consistent enough and still has the odd howler per game. For some reason I always remember him getting tackled over the sideline for us on a regular basis, like he would always try and beat his man on the outside with no room to work in........he’s a pretty simple guy and agree that he should never play origin again.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Billy Walker wrote: June 15, 2018, 11:04 pm
Agreed

Mundine took him in in 2013 after the sexual assault charges and I think (I could be wrong) that for the past 5 years outside of being led astray by a pub crawl day with Dugan he has kept himself out of trouble and seems to have turned his life around. And of course that doesn’t absolve him of his previous misdemeanours- but I respect that of him if thats the case. Love him or loathe him for his contraversal statements - but Mundine is an ultimate professional and a cleanskin who sets a good example of hard work, clean living.

I agree though - I watch him play now and think what a waste of talent. But in reality he is just another BJ. Solid player who has had a few magic runs in their careers but nothing consistent.

As for weather or not he should be in the NSW team ? You just can’t disrespect the honour of representing your state by misbehaving in camp - there needs to be consequences for that. But my opinion is that you pick the best players in form in the right positions - and to me he is a better winger and in better form than both Addo-Carr and Tom Turbo.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I agree with those who say Tyrone Peachey for the left center position if Mitchell is unavailable as appears likely. Peachey is in form, he plays the position for Penrith, he is already a part of the current SOO squad. The selection dilemma is then who replaces Peachey on the bench. I would go with another back. NSW already have lots of 'long minute' forwards. But if there is an injury to one of the back five there is no one to fit in. Nic Cotric, although a debutant, has played in every backline position although primarily a winger at NRL level. I admit my bias but I would select him on the bench.

RCG appears to have a broken jaw so he will need to be replaced. Once again I would put a current bench player, Paul Vaughan, into the starting spot. The question then becomes who replaces him on the bench? Tariq Sims is the obvious choice, although a back rower he is certainly big enough to do the job as a bench prop. If Shannon Boyd was even close to his 2016 form, then he would be a possibility. If they are looking for someone to do the job without huge offensive impact then Matt Prior will be a chance. But I think they will go with the likes of Trent Merrin. A safe, been there done that, choice.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Early reports indicate that Mitchell will play.

Ryan James was the 20th man so you would think it is between Sims and him.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Gday all, how is everyone ?

I'm fine.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:Gday all, how is everyone ?

I'm fine.
Superb, absolutely superb.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Sid wrote: June 15, 2018, 10:07 pm
Krypto wrote:I don't believe Turbo has ever played in the centres so to ask him to play there in the toughest game would be a big risk. As opposed to Cotric who although has played all his FG on the wing, he did play a lot of centre in the lower grades so would be a safer bet I would think.
T Trbojevic played centre very well for Australia against Lebanon, best player that night according to Mal

176m from 16 carries
15 tackles
1 try
I'd be shifting Roberts to the left side and playing Turbo and Cotric on the right side. Cotric and Turbo would handle Inglis far better than Roberts IMO.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Fair enough RTW. When I saw Mitchell go off on the medi-cab in the neck brace last night I thought there would be no way he would be fit enough to play by next Sunday. As long as the medicos give him the all clear I'm ok with it, but I sure wouldn't want such a young man to take any unnecessary risks.

Ryan James has copped a one week suspension earlier this year for a high shot on Lachlan Croker. I don't know his stats this year but in past years he has been undisciplined. I think Trent Merrin is a safe choice. He is 28 so in his prime as a prop. He has played 7 times for Australia and 13 times for NSW so he has experience at this level. Ryan James has not played at SOO or Australian level. Merrin copped an injury in the lead up to SOO1 selection. It will depend on where Freddy sees the side going over the next 2-3 years. My preference would be to go with a bit more experience in the engine room. But Freddy does things his way, so anything could happen at selection time.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: June 16, 2018, 2:01 pm
-PJ- wrote:Gday all, how is everyone ?

I'm fine.
Superb, absolutely superb.
Brilliant..