All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Luke Bateman re-signs

Post by Brew »

Luke Bateman re-signs with Canberra Raiders on a one year deal

Canberra Raiders forward Luke Bateman has re-signed with the club on a one-year deal for the 2019 season.

"It's great to have another season locked away here in Canberra and I'm really looking forward to the next year and a half," Bateman said. "I feel like I'm getting the consistency I need to play regular NRL footy and I'm looking forward to the challenges ahead."

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... h-raiders/

One year deal which is good, keeps him motivated.
In Ricky We Trust
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Luke Bateman Re-Signs

Post by zim »

He's looked good coming off the bench for Papalii and the 1 year deal allows us to be more flexible with other negotiations.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

One-year deals for squad filler players is good to see.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Good. Fine with that. He's had some average games and a couple of good ones. Worth another year at this point.

Interesting to see whether Sia's revival at prop prompts another year or he goes out on a high.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Tim Gavel tweeting that Bateman says the raiders wanted him on a longer deal.

Weird.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Coastalraider wrote: May 7, 2018, 2:43 pm Tim Gavel tweeting that Bateman says the raiders wanted him on a longer deal.

Weird.
Why would Bateman not take that? Clubs cant surely be knocking his door down?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

One year..nice.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Perfect for us.
Like this re-signing given the deal
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Im happy with this, I feel he has upside.

Great worker and gets stuck in, you could never call him a bludger.

Ok at times you could call him other things but underrated in my eyes
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Meh.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Luke Bateman re-signs

Post by greeneyed »

New Canberra Raiders deal takes Luke Bateman out of his 'comfort zone'

Luke Bateman says signing a one-year extension with the Canberra Raiders will force him out of his comfort zone and put the onus on himself to "aim up". The club pushed for a longer deal for the lock forward but Bateman only wanted to sign for one more season because he remains steadfast in the belief he will improve and lift his market value.

"In that way it kind of leaves it up to me, if I play good footy and I perform well, then the contracts get bigger," Bateman said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zdrf.html
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Great news! Let the floodgates open, queue barrage of re-signings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: May 7, 2018, 4:11 pm New Canberra Raiders deal takes Luke Bateman out of his 'comfort zone'

Luke Bateman says signing a one-year extension with the Canberra Raiders will force him out of his comfort zone and put the onus on himself to "aim up". The club pushed for a longer deal for the lock forward but Bateman only wanted to sign for one more season because he remains steadfast in the belief he will improve and lift his market value.

"In that way it kind of leaves it up to me, if I play good footy and I perform well, then the contracts get bigger," Bateman said.

I think Luke may have suffered a serious head knock... :hmmm
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

This is very disappointing news, such a plodder! Need to spend the time and effort on re-signing players that you can’t pick up in the off season 😡
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 7, 2018, 4:11 pm New Canberra Raiders deal takes Luke Bateman out of his 'comfort zone'

Nope, he just wanted more money then what was offered.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

-PJ- wrote: May 7, 2018, 4:58 pm

Must be meeting up with Austin for Coffee dates recently
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Good news. As shown when the team turns up, Luke is not our problem.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

I'm happy with the re-signing of Bateman.

The fact he wants more means he may actually look to find another dimension in his game. At this point in his career he is a poor man's Josh Miller. But let's hope the extension gives him that kick he thinks he needs to increase his value.

On a scale of 1 (Rapana) to 10 (Stuart), he rates a 5 on the "Who is the biggest problem at the Raiders" scale.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

reptar wrote: May 7, 2018, 6:17 pm Good news. As shown when the team turns up, Luke is not our problem.
Yup,
Plenty of teams carry a middle forward on par or worse than Bateman.
I think he’s got some good qualities to him and he’ll definitely improve
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Captain Punish wrote: May 7, 2018, 6:56 pm I'm happy with the re-signing of Bateman.

The fact he wants more means he may actually look to find another dimension in his game. At this point in his career he is a poor man's Josh Miller. But let's hope the extension gives him that kick he thinks he needs to increase his value.

On a scale of 1 (Rapana) to 10 (Stuart), he rates a 5 on the "Who is the biggest problem at the Raiders" scale.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Bateman :roflmao that is top quality
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Velda wrote: May 7, 2018, 5:20 pm This is very disappointing news, such a plodder! Need to spend the time and effort on re-signing players that you can’t pick up in the off season 😡
Please explain why?

Its prerty common knowledge that all the players we want to keep have been approached and so far look like leaving.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Good on him.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

Matt wrote: May 7, 2018, 7:14 pm
Velda wrote: May 7, 2018, 5:20 pm This is very disappointing news, such a plodder! Need to spend the time and effort on re-signing players that you can’t pick up in the off season 😡
Please explain why?

Its prerty common knowledge that all the players we want to keep have been approached and so far look like leaving.
Not doubting that, but the club should be spending all its time and effort in signing replacements of the players we are losing caliber, if Bateman wants to stay it’s not like he’s going to get massive offers anywhere else and if he wants to leave then good luck to him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: May 7, 2018, 3:03 pm
Coastalraider wrote: May 7, 2018, 2:43 pm Tim Gavel tweeting that Bateman says the raiders wanted him on a longer deal.

Weird.
Why would Bateman not take that? Clubs cant surely be knocking his door down?

Let me connect the dots for you... He's a bench player right now, come 2019 there is a very good chance Paulo, Boyd and Papalii, and at least 2 of the 3 are gone, worst case for him 1/3 leaves. In 12 months time he's expecting to be an entrenched starter, playing big minutes... and then if he's playing reasonably good footy, his value will be significantly higher.

Now if he gets hurt, or plays badly, or the club signs 3 other front rowers who play ahead of him, that'll hurt. But he's taking the odds that he can improve his lot in 12 months. I actually think it's a VERY smart ploy by him and his team.
The downside is probably re-signing long term for a similar deal he's got now.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

He will be in big demand next year........ if he develops a passing game, late offload, sidestep and hole running ability.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Kicking game?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:Kicking game?
Hmmm good point.
raidersmalt
Brett Mullins

Post by raidersmalt »

I have mixed feelings about Bateman re-signing.... firstly, he's a terrible player.

However you have to respect him backing himself by knocking back a longer contract for a one year deal....it's a gutsy move....and it's a little bit cute.... because he will no doubt fail, because he's Bateman.

It's like when a little kid is pretending to be one of the big boys.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: May 7, 2018, 8:19 pm He will be in big demand next year........ if he develops a passing game, late offload, sidestep and hole running ability.
Or if Paulo, Boyd and Papalii leave and he plays 50+ minutes a game and by virtue of sheer minutes and possessions, he averages 100+ metres, and 30 odd tackles, which is not beyond him at all. His impact is limited, his motor is not. The old Shaun Fensom method rings true.

If he gets the minutes he probably thinks he will, his deal in 12 months time will trump this one by some margin.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I'm surprised there's been no conspiracy theories on this one that Bateman only got moved to the bench once they knew he was knocking back their multi-year offer.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

zim wrote:I'm surprised there's been no conspiracy theories on this one that Bateman only got moved to the bench once they knew he was knocking back their multi-year offer.
Why would that be a conspiracy?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:He will be in big demand next year........ if he develops a passing game, late offload, sidestep and hole running ability.
He sounds like a quality hooker.. maybe Hodgson is on the way out Image
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

This is a good signing. The club has clearly offered him a modest contract, which bodes well, as we need lower salary guys to balance the books. He'll never be a game-breaker but he offers a lot more than people credit him with. I wish everyone had his commitment to linespeed, for a start.

This isn't the deal the club is building their 2019 recruitment around but it was a tidy, fairly easy deal that will facilitate those bigger ones.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

reptar wrote:
zim wrote:I'm surprised there's been no conspiracy theories on this one that Bateman only got moved to the bench once they knew he was knocking back their multi-year offer.
Why would that be a conspiracy?
Because it's Monday and we don't have any team lists.
We're through the looking glass people.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm so pleased. I know there are a few knockers, but I like him; he puts in 100% every week, and while he's not the biggest forward he always tries to play like one, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. He's a good bench forward and he definitely has the ticker. Add to that he's a cheap buy and I think he's very good value for the club.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)