2018 Rd 9 V Titans: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans
Saturday 5 May 3:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 12:30pm NSW Premiership: 12:45pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Sunny. Areas of fog and patches of light frost in the early morning. Sunny day. Winds north to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h tending west to northwesterly during the morning. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Min 3 Max 19

Round 8 2018. Canberra Raiders 18 - North Queensland Cowboys 8. It was a night for the true believers. Most Raiders fans did not see that display from the Green Machine coming. Most expected that the nine game losing streak in Townsville, which dates back to 2006, would continue. Many expected a big win for the Cowboys. Even if the match was close, most expected that Johnathan Thurston would produce some magic to break green hearts at the death. But the Raiders' defence was full of aggression, attitude and character. It was a huge turnaround from the soft defence in the loss to the Rabbitohs. It was the foundation for an outstanding win.

2018 Round 8 Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

More on Round 8: As I saw it

The Raiders return to Canberra Stadium in Round 9 for a clash with the Gold Coast Titans. Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has named the same team that defeated the Cowboys last week. For the Titans, Ryan Simpkins replaces Morgan Boyle on the bench in the only change from the Round 8 one point loss to the Cronulla Sharks.

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker is four points away from posting 900 career points at Canberra Stadium.

Late changes: The Canberra Raiders have omitted Jack Murchie and Brad Abbey from their squad to face the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday afternoon, with Liam Knight and Michael Oldfield remaining on the extended bench.

Will Matthews (concussion) and Kane Elgey have dropped out of the Titans' squad, with Max King moving into the starting prop position and Ryan James moving to the backrow. Leilani Latu is likely to come into the top 17 on the bench.

History: Canberra has won 9 of 21 games against the Gold Coast Titans - and 24 of 38 games played against all incarnations of the Gold Coast. The Raiders have won just four of the past 10 matches against the Titans - losing the Round 1 clash earlier this year in the final two minutes, 30-28... after leading 24-6 at one stage. The Titans won't have much concern about playing at Canberra Stadium, having lost just one of the past five matches at the venue. Overall, Canberra has won five of the nine games played at Bruce.

2018 Round 1 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

2017 Round 6 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

2016 Round 16 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

In this week's "History Happens" we go back to 2010 and an exciting clash with the Gold Coast at Canberra Stadium. The Raiders led by 20 points early in the second half, but the Titans made a huge comeback. Canberra desperately held out the Titans in the final stages, running out 28-24 victors.

2010 Round 13 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

Form: The Raiders have a LWWLW form line in their past five matches, while the Titans have a LWLLL record. The Titans suffered a one point loss to the Sharks at the Gold Coast in their last start - a committed effort after coach Garth Brennan dropped five eighth Kane Elgey.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.43 favourites in this match, while the Titans are paying $2.95. The Titans have a 7.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: It is a clash between 11th and 12th on the ladder. Both teams have a 3 and 5 record in 2018, with the Raiders ahead of the Titans on points differential (Raiders +1, Titans -68). Frustratingly, the Raiders have a better points differential than three teams ahead of them on the ladder - the Broncos, Sharks and the sixth placed Knights. Every other team outside the top eight has a negative points differential. Both the Raiders and Titans have lost all three games they've played against top eight sides.

The Raiders are averaging 22 points scored per match (fifth in the NRL), while the Titans have averaged just 17 (10th position). The Raiders have averaged just under four tries scored per match, the Titans under three. The Raiders have conceded around 24 points per match (sixth worst in the league) - but no team in the NRL has a worse defensive record than the Titans (conceding 26 points per match).

There is not much difference between the teams in metres gained (Raiders 1368m, Titans 1358m) and average runs per match (Raiders 153, Titans 159m). There's not much difference in kicking metres either (Raiders 394m, Titans 390m). The Raiders have a slightly worse completion rate (Raiders 75 per cent, Titans 78 per cent). Both teams average 10 offloads, errors and penalties conceded per game, but the Raiders average more line breaks (4-2). The Raiders have been required to make slightly fewer tackles per match (337-348) - and miss fewer tackles (30-34).

Our tip: The statistics point to a Raiders win in a close one. The thing that would be worrying Raiders fans is the Titans' good record in Canberra... and the memories of some unfortunate losses for the Green Machine.

How about the last clash at Bruce? The Raiders led 20-6 with 15 minutes remaining - only to concede three tries in the final stages, surrendering the lead with two minutes remaining. The match ended in a 24-20 defeat. Or how about the golden point loss in 2011? The Raiders led by six with less than a minute left on the clock... and then Matt Orford knocked on at the base of the scrum. The Titans scored on the siren, forced golden point... and then took a 23-22 victory. And given the Raiders threw away a huge lead in Round 1 this year, only to lose in the final two minutes, I'm more than a bit nervous. But not nervous enough to tip a Titans victory.

The Raiders will be out for some revenge for Round 1... and I expect they'll be switched on for the full 80 minutes this time. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Siliva Havili: "We’ve been really inconsistent with a few things in our game and it is something that we must build on and not take for granted what we do have as a career. Backing it up every week, that’s what is important in our game. The consistency part is a big thing for us. This win won’t mean much if we don’t back it up next week so hopefully we bring the same mindset, the same aggression, and the same game plan that suits us."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Sia Soliola
9. Siliva Havili
10. Junior Paulo
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Ata Hingano
15. Shannon Boyd
16. Luke Bateman
17. Dunamis Lui
18. Liam Knight
19. Michael Oldfield

Gold Coast Titans

1. Michael Gordon
2. Anthony Don
3. Brendan Elliot
4. Konrad Hurrell
5. Phillip Sami
6. Bryce Cartwright
7. Ash Taylor
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Mitch Rein
14. Max King
11. Kevin Proctor
10. Ryan James (c)
13. Jai Arrow

15. Jack Stockwell
16. Keegan Hipgrave
17. Ryan Simpkins
18. Leilani Latu
19. Moeaki Fotuaika
20. Brenko Lee

Officials:

Referees: Gavin Reynolds, Alan Shortall
Sideline Officials: Brett Suttor, Jarrod Cole
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersTitans

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2018 Rd 9 V Titans: Game Day

Post by -PJ- »

I'm thinking we are going to pump this mob.

We are due for one of those performances...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And hasn't Jarrod Croker already gone past 900 career points...ages ago !!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: May 1, 2018, 4:55 pm And hasn't Jarrod Croker already gone past 900 career points...ages ago !!!
He's actually 10 off 1700 career points.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:30 pm
-PJ- wrote: May 1, 2018, 4:55 pm And hasn't Jarrod Croker already gone past 900 career points...ages ago !!!
So to answer your question Peej, yes he has.

You see how you do it without being condescending, Ferg?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:33 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:30 pm

I was not intending that to be condescending in any way. He is four off scoring 900 points at Canberra Stadium, so the preview above was originally incorrect, and I was agreeing with PJ.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:45 pm
The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:33 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:30 pm He's actually 10 off 1700 career points.

I was not intending that to be condescending in any way. He is four off scoring 900 points at Canberra Stadium, so the preview above was originally incorrect, and I was agreeing with PJ.
Haha I was only joking, I knew you weren't trying to be condescending. Don't worry, I find PJ annoying at times too, Ferg!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Im at ease with both you jokers..

The story did say Croker was 4pts short of 900 career pts did it not ?

No mention of Canberra Stadium..I knew he was up around 1700pts.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I love you no matter what those jokers say, Peej. We need more positive emotions around here!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: May 1, 2018, 6:45 pm I love you no matter what those jokers say, Peej. We need more positive emotions around here!
I've got feelings reptar.

I go to work, I sleep and I go to work again..repeat. :)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha Peej, you know I love you.

I was just trying to let Fergus down easily after his unwarranted attack of you
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:
reptar wrote: May 1, 2018, 6:45 pm I love you no matter what those jokers say, Peej. We need more positive emotions around here!
I've got feelings reptar.

I go to work, I sleep and I go to work again..repeat. :)
Same here. Although you can throw in whirlwind overseas trips that others think sound crazy fun but are actually just sitting in conference centres, airports and planes, to that mix just occasionally.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2018, 6:52 pm Haha Peej, you know I love you.

I'm going to be ok Nickman..thanks.

Ironically the part in GEs preview saying Jarrod Croker is 4pts away from 900 has mysteriously vanished.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:

Ironically the part in GEs preview saying Jarrod Croker is 4pts away from 900 has mysteriously vanished.
He’s stitching you up!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2018, 7:00 pm
-PJ- wrote:

He’s stitching you up!
Never trust a guy named Fergus.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2018, 4:48 pm
Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker is four points away from posting 900 career points at Canberra Stadium.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That's what it should have said in the original post right Fergus ?

All sweet..
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

I honestly thought we would beat Manly....NOPE

I honestly thought we would beat Souths....NOPE

I have No confidence in beating Cowboys.... YEP

I have No confidence in beating Titans....
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: May 1, 2018, 7:12 pm That's what it should have said in the original post right Fergus ?

All sweet..
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Croker was beasted by Hurrell last time. Lost a lot of confidence out of it too.

Hope our skipper can have a much better game this time

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Cap ain't scared of ****
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

We might see the Titans move Hurell to Austin’s side for this match

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Crusader wrote: May 1, 2018, 7:56 pm I honestly thought we would beat Manly....NOPE

I had no confidence against Manly, Souths or Cowboys. For me, leading into the Souths game, as soon as they said they'd found the "winning formula" I knew they'd lose. Having said that, I've hardly ever been less confident than going into the Cowboys game, so pleased to be proven wrong there.

And having said all of that, I'm quietly confident leading into this week's game, provided the boys show up mentally ready to go and to do the hard work. We'll know by the 20th minute, as usual, which Canberra Raiders team has shown up.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote: May 2, 2018, 9:56 am
Crusader wrote: May 1, 2018, 7:56 pm I honestly thought we would beat Manly....NOPE

I had no confidence against Manly, Souths or Cowboys. For me, leading into the Souths game, as soon as they said they'd found the "winning formula" I knew they'd lose. Having said that, I've hardly ever been less confident than going into the Cowboys game, so pleased to be proven wrong there.

And having said all of that, I'm quietly confident leading into this week's game, provided the boys show up mentally ready to go and to do the hard work. We'll know by the 20th minute, as usual, which Canberra Raiders team has shown up.
Usually our first defensive set answers that question. Line speed yes/no?
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

I just cant stand Mitch Rein, raiders always make him look like a million dollars.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: May 1, 2018, 8:13 pm Croker was beasted by Hurrell last time. Lost a lot of confidence out of it too.

Hope our skipper can have a much better game this time

He couldn't be too badly scarred as I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to recall any of it after Konni bounced him the last time!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game Day preview updated for latest squads, weather, odds: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32752&p=1586799#p1586799
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Is this going to be one of those games where we are expected to win easily but instead get humiliated by a bog average team?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Lucky wrote:Is this going to be one of those games where we are expected to win easily but instead get humiliated by a bog average team?
Yes, yes it is
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Lucky wrote: May 4, 2018, 8:43 pm Is this going to be one of those games where we are expected to win easily but instead get humiliated by a bog average team?
Are we really expected to win, outside of those of us who are just optimistic Raiders fans?

anyway, I'm feeling quietly good about this game, which is a nice feeling to have after feeling so down about last week's game. Hope the boys can pull through.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Dimes
Peter Jackson

Post by Dimes »

Why did the write-up have to mention the Orford game?

Most pissed off I've been watching the footy ever I think.

Thinking about it now still makes me cranky.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Dimes wrote: May 4, 2018, 10:40 pm Why did the write-up have to mention the Orford game?

I had never seen a half knock on at the base of the scrum, before or since.

I witnessed a new level of incompetence that day.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

Dimes wrote:Why did the write-up have to mention the Orford game?

I can think of a far more recent knock on that pissed me off more, but at least now he's the Sharks problem.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Anything worth watching on tv today ?

#bleedgreen
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It’s going to be a game if discipline. If we hang onto the ball with no silly penalties we will win.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk