Absolutely Bleeding Green

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Absolutely Bleeding Green

Post by greeneyed »

Absolutely Bleeding Green - Those Boots

Canberra Raiders Club Historian David Headon is working towards a comprehensive History of the Raiders, with the working title Absolutely Bleeding Green. Each month he'll be releasing excerpts from the book which is expected to be completed mid-2019.

Our present coach, very young but a star number seven as we know, turned up in Sydney for the biggest match of his career, the 1989 Grand Final, with all the necessary gear. Minus one item. His boots. Panic, then inspiration under pressure. David ‘Campo’ Campese, an old Queanbeyan Whites teammate lives here now and he wears the same size boots...

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/04 ... ose-boots/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Absolutely Bleeding Green

Post by -PJ- »

Everyday...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sticky displaying his legendary 'attention to detail' even then.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

I would love to know if the club has plans for a museum in the new building at Braddon. Reading this stuff and meeting someone recently who has an amazing collection of both Raiders and ACT Rugby League gear leaves me wondering why we can't have something like this:

http://m.hawthornfc.com.au/history/hawks-museum

Rugby League tends to be lazy with it's history. The NRL only created a museum after the success of the 2008 Centenary of League exhibition he in Canberra that was so successful. I would love our club to do something similar but can't see it happening.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote: April 27, 2018, 7:17 pm Sticky displaying his legendary 'attention to detail' even then.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's not fair, Red. Ricky watches his boots more closely than anyone else.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

100%green wrote: April 30, 2018, 8:35 am I would love to know if the club has plans for a museum in the new building at Braddon. Reading this stuff and meeting someone recently who has an amazing collection of both Raiders and ACT Rugby League gear leaves me wondering why we can't have something like this:

Rugby League tends to be lazy with it's history. The NRL only created a museum after the success of the 2008 Centenary of League exhibition he in Canberra that was so successful. I would love our club to do something similar but can't see it happening.

I agree, would love to see that. The Raiders did say they wanted to incorporate something in terms of history/museum as I recall... and I'd hope it is more like the museum at the NRL HQ than that Hawks museum (which is way too cluttered and ugly).
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

greeneyed wrote:
100%green wrote: April 30, 2018, 8:35 am I would love to know if the club has plans for a museum in the new building at Braddon. Reading this stuff and meeting someone recently who has an amazing collection of both Raiders and ACT Rugby League gear leaves me wondering why we can't have something like this:

I agree, would love to see that. The Raiders did say they wanted to incorporate something in terms of history/museum as I recall... and I'd hope it is more like the museum at the NRL HQ than that Hawks museum (which is way too cluttered and ugly).
You just don't like it cause it's AFL Image

jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

greeneyed wrote:

They'd be mad not to dedicate a small part of the new building to this. Just something modest. The opportunity to have a gift shop, sell merchandise and memorabilia like this upcoming book, have signings and other small meet the players-like events would be absolutely massive to building the Raiders brand in the city. Of course it'll never happen.
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

I have an old faded Canberra milk jersey signed by Sticky and Mal, and a few others who turned up at Woden that day, I would happily donate it to go on exhibition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

You can donate it to me..I'm on my way.
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

I’d also be more than happy to donate my near complete collection of micro figures

Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
Whitty
David Shillington

Post by Whitty »

jozzas wrote: May 2, 2018, 1:44 pm They'd be mad not to dedicate a small part of the new building to this. Just something modest. The opportunity to have a gift shop, sell merchandise and memorabilia like this upcoming book, have signings and other small meet the players-like events would be absolutely massive to building the Raiders brand in the city. Of course it'll never happen.
I recently had the good luck to spend a week in Canberra so took myself along to training. After being informed it was at "Raiders HQ", googled that baby up and in the car I go. Found the place, waltzes on into the HQ building expecting to find something resembling the HQ of a NRL team, and found a lovely lady sitting behind a desk with a cabinet beside her with three flat caps and a handful of training singlets in it. Not another thing. Asked about the possibility of buying some sort of Raiders themed merchandise, maybe try on a jersey or two....No, we only do web store. So only thing to do was leave Canberra with not a single piece of fan merch because i should have done that from home. Amazing.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

I know Neeegzy will happily donate his Jersey Flegg best and fairest trophy from his glory days reppin' the Raiders.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Whitty wrote:
jozzas wrote: May 2, 2018, 1:44 pm They'd be mad not to dedicate a small part of the new building to this. Just something modest. The opportunity to have a gift shop, sell merchandise and memorabilia like this upcoming book, have signings and other small meet the players-like events would be absolutely massive to building the Raiders brand in the city. Of course it'll never happen.
I recently had the good luck to spend a week in Canberra so took myself along to training. After being informed it was at "Raiders HQ", googled that baby up and in the car I go. Found the place, waltzes on into the HQ building expecting to find something resembling the HQ of a NRL team, and found a lovely lady sitting behind a desk with a cabinet beside her with three flat caps and a handful of training singlets in it. Not another thing. Asked about the possibility of buying some sort of Raiders themed merchandise, maybe try on a jersey or two....No, we only do web store. So only thing to do was leave Canberra with not a single piece of fan merch because i should have done that from home. Amazing.
Agreed it's not a good look but they are tight on space. Did they tell you to go to jerseys megastore?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Whitty wrote: May 10, 2018, 12:11 pm
Jerseys Megastore is one of the best rugby league merchandise stores in Australia. Shame you missed going! They also cater for union and AFL.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Absolutely bleeding green - The Canberra Raiders Story now on pre-sale

This item is a Pre-Sale item ($39.99) and will be dispatched after November 5th 2019.

The Canberra Raiders football team catapulted back to national prominence this year when they made it to the NRL grand final. Absolutely Bleeding Green recounts the history of this plucky club, from the early days of community games to its leading position today...

2019 is not the first time the Canberra Raiders has hit the headlines. Their spectacular grand final win against the Balmain Tigers in 1989 is widely regarded as Australian Rugby League's greatest ever decider. For a fledgling club this was an extraordinary and unexpected achievement, heralding a sequence of years that produced two more premierships and two near misses. The Raiders' trademark adventurous style of play was welcomed by all lovers of the game. Attacking football was back in vogue.

David Headon tells the story of a unique football team that entered the Sydney competition in 1982 with little fanfare and plenty of pessimism, despite the fact that league had been an integral part of communities across the Limestone Plains for nearly a century. From this firm base, the Raiders emerged to make their mark.

Absolutely Bleeding Green recounts the big wins and heart-wrenching losses as it follows the players through their Raider careers, revealing how the club was able to build exceptional team spirit, even in difficult times. It includes interviews with players past and present, with coaches and administrators, as well as with families and supporters who are so proud of the distinctive lime green jersey.

Order: https://www.raidersshop.com.au/absolute ... 2501.phtml
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pretty cheap at $40... maybe it is a paperback.

I was hoping it'd be more glossy, but very keen to get it and read it.

It is part of my Club 82 membership... so as soon as they come in, I'll be out to Raiders HQ to pick it up.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: October 23, 2019, 11:37 am Pretty cheap at $40... maybe it is a paperback.

It is part of my Club 82 membership... so as soon as they come in, I'll be out to Raiders HQ to pick it up.
Hey GE, this sounds like a good read.

When youre done with it mail up to me so I can read it will ya?

Cheers PJ
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: October 23, 2019, 2:18 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 23, 2019, 11:37 am Pretty cheap at $40... maybe it is a paperback.

Hey GE, this sounds like a good read.

When youre done with it mail up to me so I can read it will ya?

Cheers PJ
Sorry... but it won't be leaving my possession under any circumstances!
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Yeah pre ordered last week can’t wait

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Absolutely Bleeding Green: Hear from Raiders Historian David Headon after the release of his book, 'Absolutely Bleeding Green' which covers the history of the club. Purchase your copy today at raidersshop.com.au: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/11 ... ing-green/
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Have you read it yet GE?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:Have you read it yet GE?
I’m picking it up as we speak.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

About to start reading! #Canberra #Raiders Absolutely bleeding green. #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr #bleedgreen #canberraraiders #rugbyleague

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Absolutely shocked to be mentioned in the acknowledgements! Had not spoken to the author... but did point him via the club to the stories I wrote on the thread titled The Story of the Green Machine.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=22094
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

You should announce a book signing at Civic.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fergus is famous!!

Just remember that we all knew him before he got too good for us!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 6, 2019, 1:32 pm You should announce a book signing at Civic.
That would be awesome... I'd love to get him to sign my copy of Game of Thrones.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: November 6, 2019, 1:31 pm Absolutely shocked to be mentioned in the acknowledgements! Had not spoken to the author... but did point him via the club to the stories I wrote on the thread titled The Story of the Green Machine.

They made an old man happy. That is sweet.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Congrats GE!

Do you if the book be will be for sale outside of the Raiders Shop?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-GD- wrote: November 6, 2019, 3:37 pm Congrats GE!

Don't know... you would think so... plus Raiders Shop charges $15 for delivery.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Ferg, if I send you my copy of Game of Thrones can you sign it for me and send it back?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: November 6, 2019, 3:59 pm Ferg, if I send you my copy of Game of Thrones can you sign it for me and send it back?
Sure, so long as you include an appropritely sized, stamped, self addressed envelope in the package.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: November 6, 2019, 5:33 pm
The Rickman wrote: November 6, 2019, 3:59 pm Ferg, if I send you my copy of Game of Thrones can you sign it for me and send it back?
Sure, so long as you include an appropritely sized, stamped, self addressed envelope in the package.
Yes!! The book's in the mail!!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

-GD- wrote: November 6, 2019, 3:37 pm Congrats GE!

It's up on all the normal book sites. I got a copy from The Nile delivered today, great turnaround to NZ.