The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sterlk
David Furner

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Sterlk »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Edmund Barton was also a very big supporter of the White Australia policy fyi
What point are you trying to make? People are a product of their times. The founding fathers in the US owned slaves. People used to be burned for being 'witches'.

Barton was in power in 1901, if you're going to call out everybody of that era for being racist you better get a big brush.

While popular attitudes of the past don't make any racist positions of the time OK, if you're trying to compare the racists of today with the racists of yesteryear its somewhat bad apples vs. bad oranges.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Sterlk wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:Edmund Barton was also a very big supporter of the White Australia policy fyi
What point are you trying to make? People are a product of their times. The founding fathers in the US owned slaves. People used to be burned for being 'witches'.

Barton was in power in 1901, if you're going to call out everybody of that era for being racist you better get a big brush.

While popular attitudes of the past don't make any racist positions of the time OK, if you're trying to compare the racists of today with the racists of yesteryear its somewhat bad apples vs. bad oranges.
Yes, I consider the 5 Founding Fathers who did own slaves automatically worse than the 3 who were against it and never owned any. Not everybody was celebrating the policy massively. Whilst many Australians were for it, the Brits seem to have been very much against it. There were similar policies passed pre-Federation, that were almost blocked by the Brits; although seemingly for economic reasons. The Labour Party’s condition for creating a coalition was that non-white immigration be restricted, which would have to mean there would be some people that were against it.

Politicians can make small ****-ups and recover but when they’re ****-ups are massive, I think it discredits their legacy almost completely. I agree with almost all of the laws LBJ passed, but in my eyes the Vietnam War completely destroys him. I think the War on Drugs discredits Reagan (who I wouldn’t like anyway, but I know a lot of people do) from being considered a good President. Just as I consider the White Australia policy to be a stain on the early Australian Governments that cannot be overlooked.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m quite enjoying Quarry on Fox go. Don’t know how I found it but it’s better than a lot of other more popular shows of the same ilk floating around for mine.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Apologies of I'm late to the party, but I'm enjoying MindHunter on Netflix.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Finally watched Stranger Things. I liked it. Crusher, have you seen it? Plenty of conspiracy theory references.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Finished the second season of Dirk Gently last night, enjoy the trippyness of it just a shame won’t be getting a 3rd season because of the #metoo.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

julian87 wrote:I’m quite enjoying Quarry on Fox go. Don’t know how I found it but it’s better than a lot of other more popular shows of the same ilk floating around for mine.
I really liked it, very disappointed they didn’t renew the series.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched "The End of the #### World" on Netflix. I can see why it got such favourable reviews, but it was much more disturbing than I expected.

Am halfway through watching "Glow". Unusual subject, captures aspects of the 1980s very well. I had forgotten high hair, but I used to have the same style... in the days I had hair. Can see why the show got its SAG Award nominations.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

I liked "the end of the ####### world" it's dark and quirky
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

reptar wrote:I liked "the end of the ####### world" it's dark and quirky
If you like quirky check out 'Nathan for You'
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

End of the world was gold...and we’re talking about Glow now, I’m sure it was recommended 5 pages ago...get with the program GE! season 2 should be due soon.

Check out Mosaic GE
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Ranking of my best to worst black mirror season 4 episodes:
1. Hang the DJ - explores what dating may look like in the future
2. Black museum - a series of short stories which are quite creative and interesting to think about
3. Archangel - about helicopter parenting gone too far
4. USS Callister - a Star Trek inspired space odyssey
5. Crocodile - what would life be like if we could extract people's memories (I felt like this concept was very similar to that of an earlier episode - which was one of my favourites)
6. Metal head - this was a disappointing episode... an apocalyptic world where robotic dogs hunt humans

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not watched that yet.

Just finished Glow... way better than I expected... and now on to The Good Place.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

the bone wrote:Ranking of my best to worst black mirror season 4 episodes:
1. Hang the DJ - explores what dating may look like in the future
2. Black museum - a series of short stories which are quite creative and interesting to think about
3. Archangel - about helicopter parenting gone too far
4. USS Callister - a Star Trek inspired space odyssey
5. Crocodile - what would life be like if we could extract people's memories (I felt like this concept was very similar to that of an earlier episode - which was one of my favourites)
6. Metal head - this was a disappointing episode... an apocalyptic world where robotic dogs hunt humans

Was a very good season i thought.

Id go

1. USS Callister
2. Hang the DJ
3. Crocodile
4. Black Museum
5. Archangel
6. Metal Head
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

If reality tv had more like this I could actually handle watching some.

I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched the pilot episode of "Rise" on Stan. NBC show. Seems to have very mixed reviews. But I really enjoyed it. Based on a true story about a teacher who takes over the theatre department at his school. The guy from How I met your mother is in the lead role, and he adapts well from comedy to drama.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:Just watched the pilot episode of "Rise" on Stan. NBC show. Seems to have very mixed reviews. But I really enjoyed it. Based on a true story about a teacher who takes over the theatre department at his school. The guy from How I met your mother is in the lead role, and he adapts well from comedy to drama.
That's not Chris Lilley?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No, Josh Radnor.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Tintin seasons 1 - 3 on Netflix! Reliving my childhood!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I found a moon rock in my nose....
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: March 15, 2018, 3:13 pm Just watched the pilot episode of "Rise" on Stan. NBC show. Seems to have very mixed reviews. But I really enjoyed it. Based on a true story about a teacher who takes over the theatre department at his school. The guy from How I met your mother is in the lead role, and he adapts well from comedy to drama.
BTW, in the show, they're attempting to stage a production of Spring Awakening (won best musical 2007). Had never seen it, or really heard the songs. Was prompted to check it out by this show (pirate recordings of the original production seem to abound on YouTube). It is extraordinary. Can't get "The bitch of living" out of my brain this morning! Just can't get enough of it.

Seemed to have been staged in Canberra a couple of years ago... Wish I'd gone to see it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Married at first sight: Would never have predicted Troy and Carly and Sean and Tracey forming new couples... post the "experiment".

And Davina is as evil as ever.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Shows how brainless Australia is seeing that is the top rating TV show at the moment
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm not sure about that. I can see your point of view and why that is your reaction. But it shows a lot about relationships and people. And big diversity of people... and the sorts of people out there. I personally have found it difficult to stop watching, even though I might not have thought it was something that would be interesting. Psychologists are very smart people... and they're the ones putting this all together. I'm sure the motivations of Channel 9 are hardly pure, but they've put an interesting show together about how people interact for mine.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Those shows are so scripted, contestants coerced by producers into doing/saying things and so heavily edited it’s in no way showing real relationships or people. I’ve said it once, watch UnReal on Stan to get a feel for how these ‘reality’ shows are made
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched the second episode of Rise on Stan. It is very good television.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have been watching UnReal on Stan on recommendation here! It is a very good show... but I also think it is over dramatisation of how these shows work... or at least some of them.

But still very enjoyable show.

Also just watched the latest episode of Rise on Stan. I am LOVING this show. Gave me goosebumps at times. Made me tear up at times. That might be because I've just been massively impacted by Spring Awakening, the play they are producing. But I still think it is a great show.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Got to the end of Season 1 of UnReal on Stan. Great show.

The idea reality TV isn't real though... I don't think that what's shown in UnReal is real either. No doubt producers want most drama... but there are still a lot of real feelings on display... and UnReal shows that too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have binge watched UnReal. Good show, am up to date with it...

Am still watching "Rise" on Stan. Still enjoying it and it is worth a watch. It is being produced by the creator of Friday Night Lights - which is one of my favourite ever TV shows - and the producer of Rent and Hamilton. It certainly has the feel of Friday Night Lights, with the football team being a big part of the plot lines... and is set in a regional town.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The best shows you are not watching on television...

UnReal... loving it. Sadly I'm only getting one show at a time now.

Rise... this is the show I've not loved more than any other since Friday Night Lights... The latest episode... great show. It is seriously the best show on TV right now.

Both on Stan.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Good to see you enjoying UnReal GE!

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

MASH has just gone back to the beginning again.

The earlier episodes were much better than the latter even though I do love the show.

I reckon I've watched every show a 1000 times..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Is anyone watching Westworld Season 2?
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Dr Zaius wrote:Is anyone watching Westworld Season 2?
Is it on Netflix? I haven't seen it and have no idea what it's about. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sossman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Is anyone watching Westworld Season 2?
Is it on Netflix? I haven't seen it and have no idea what it's about. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
On Foxtel
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Can't get into Westworld.

Just rewatched Handmaids Tale. New series starts this week. Can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.