The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: The Film Thread

Post by Sid »

Watched I, Tonya the other night, it was a bit of a different movie, which is what I needed.
It's set up as a mockumentary / dark comedy. Can't say I really gave a hoot about any of the characters though.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

The Film Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:
the bone wrote:I haven't seen The Post yet, but of the other three films you mentioned, in order of preference I'd go:
1. Three billboards
2. Darkest hour
3. Dunkirk

All three movies were good, but a few comments on each:

Three billboards - I loved the characters and the redemption storyline of one of the mains. That scene in the hospital with the orange juice was touching. The only thing that felt out of place to me was Woody Harrelson's wife... her accent was all over the place.

The Darkest Hour plot line wasn't as engrossing as I'd hoped. And I preferred John Lithgow's portrayal of Churchill in The Crown.

Dunkirk was a cool story, but a lot of action which I'm not into.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I just found it ridiculous that a cop smashes down the glass front door of a building, assaults someone, smashes a window and throws him out of a first floor window, and then kicks him in the street, in front of a brand new police chief... and all that happens to him is he gets fired!? No arrest? How he was still on the streets for the rest of the film is beyond me.

And that wasn't the only silly thing about the plot. I get that ridiculous things happen in comedies... and this is a black comedy... but the tone is tragic, and the plot holes just don't gel with that, for me, anyway.
I thought that was a theme in the movie that linked back to the “No arrests” billboard. Maybe even fitting of the culture in the US that all these crazy crimes and arson went on, and the only person who gets arrested is a black woman on a dodgy marijuana charge.

The movie left me feeling flat. I did like what they did with the idea of fire, and the character rebirth after fire. Also the subtle moves like her wearing red during the anger acts, then wearing blue as she begins her path to acceptance.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But it was a new police chief, and he was no red neck.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah, but I felt he was there as a figurehead. No real power.

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I've bothered to see a couple movies at the cinema recently.

I enjoyed Three Billboards immensely. I thought it felt very Coen Bros (I love them, but only love a few of their many films). No doubt the McDormand factor accounted for some of that. Speaking of Frances 'John Wayne' McDormand, her performance has "Oscar" all over it.

I saw Lady Bird tonight. It took a while for me to get into it. Then I didn't want it to end. Loved it. Saoirse is by far the best young actress going around. I am still kicking myself for missing seeing her on stage by one day (she was in The Crucible, on Broadway). She is fantastic. Laurie Metcalf is also superb, and count myself lucky that I HAVE seen her on stage (as Annie Wilkes in Misery), alongside Bruce Willis (who she **** on).

The Shape of Water is next.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Warwick Thornton's "Sweet Country" is a cracker. Beautifully shot and frank storytelling.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched "A Raisin in the Sun" today. It is certainly a product of its time, but a very good film of its time. Sidney Poitier was outstanding.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Trip to Spain's pretty good to kill a couple of hours

Pretty funny in parts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched The Viceroy’s House tonight. Not bad.

I also watched Loving yesterday. Worthy, but slow.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Saw The Shape of Water last night. Loved it.

127.5/150
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm a bit meh about The Shape of Water.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"This is me" is an absolute lock on best song at the Academy Awards btw. I've got to say, I love it.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

All this movie talk and nothing about Black Panther :nooo

Killing it at the cinema breaking records and domestically in America beat Justice Leagues entire run in just 4 days!
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

So when the new passion movie breaks all records, will you race to watch that?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

:lol:

It’s coming out after Infinity War good luck with that, if it breaks that record I’ll go multiple times just for you Dubs.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Film Thread

Manbush wrote:All this movie talk and nothing about Black Panther :nooo

Killing it at the cinema breaking records and domestically in America beat Justice Leagues entire run in just 4 days!
Watched it yesterday. It was great. I’m not afraid to say it, first Marvel movie I welled up in.

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:So when the new passion movie breaks all records, will you race to watch that?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
**** no
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I’m happy to put my money where my mouth is, the last Passion was 5th for the year it was released so quite comfortable betting it won’t get near Infinity War, if the original couldn’t beat Spider-Man 2, Shrek 2, The Invincibles and something else it has no hope.

Though to be honest am curious about it as it’s supposedly taking place in a few different realms so be interesting to see the quality of their special effects.

The movie won’t be better than Fist of Jesus though from 2012

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Shape of Water best film and director... not in my book. I would have had any of Call Me By Your Name, Darkest Hour, The Post, Lady Bird and Dunkirk in front of it. Maybe they're more old fashioned films, Lady Bird apart.

I can understand why Frances McDormand wins best actress, but the film is severely flawed. Would have preferred Woody Harrelson as best supporting actor.

Gary Oldman... An outstanding best actor, though I think Timothee Chalamet would have been just as deserving.

Allison Janney... no question the best supporting actress.

I'm puzzled how "This is me" didn't win best song.

Just caught the end of Born Free tonight on Fox Classics... I so loved that movie and book as a kid... and the song is as corny as hell, but I still love it. I've had to admit I've shed a few tears watching that film.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Saw "Get Out" yesterday, very good.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

All records soon to be smashed!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

SPOILERS...

I watched Wonder Woman tonight. One of the better cartoon character films.

Probably went 15 minutes too long. Didn't like they killed off Steve.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Wasn’t a fan, felt like a poor rip off of the first Captain America movie and the ending was some of the worst CGI I’ve seen in modern years not to mention her acting. Probably the best DC movie in years but that’s not saying much, as a comic fan it wouldn’t rank in my top 20.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Just watched Infinity War and all I can say is WOW, epic on every level!

The Russo brothers definitely deserve an award with the way they handled so many characters so smoothly.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Manbush wrote:Just watched Infinity War and all I can say is WOW, epic on every level!

The Russo brothers definitely deserve an award with the way they handled so many characters so smoothly.
Going to see it saturday

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Holy ****, knew Infinity War would smash records but worldwide opening weekend $830million (not counting China which hasn’t started showing it yet), the total is going to be astronomical.

Dubs still think Passion 2 will be the biggest ever? :P
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just watched A Ghost Story. Literally finished 10 mins ago. Wow, what a film. Just left me speechless and filled with so many feels. This was a great song in the movie

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just watched A Quiet Place. Was pretty disappointed. It’s a great concept, and the use of sound was brilliant, but the script was poor. I don’t know, I feel for people surviving in silence for 470 odd days, they made a lot of silly errors.

It requires a fair bit of ignoring the obvious, and that took me out of the moment

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm at a hoyts for the opening night of "Wayne". 5mins to schedule start I'm in the cinema alone.

Is it ok to change seats from my allotted purchase?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

bonehead wrote:I'm at a hoyts for the opening night of "Wayne". 5mins to schedule start I'm in the cinema alone.

No, you're bolted to that seat for the next 2 hours.

If you attempt to move a spotlight will be shone and you will be asked why you're moving
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:
bonehead wrote:I'm at a hoyts for the opening night of "Wayne". 5mins to schedule start I'm in the cinema alone.

No, you're bolted to that seat for the next 2 hours.

If you attempt to move a spotlight will be shone and you will be asked why you're moving
cheers T-dub the general is trying to get me locked away

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Burt Reynolds has passed away.
He was 82.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Went to see the Heath Ledger exhibition at the National Film and Sound Archive today. They've restored an exhibition space, after budget cuts forced them to close their exhibition spaces four years ago. Beautiful use of their old ball room. And what a great exhibition it was. Good talk on a Friday, free exhibition. Lots of video from his television and film appearances in the exhibition, which follows his career from the start. Costumes from many of his appearances, a couple of his motor bikes. It seemed a little strange being up close to some of the iconic clothing from his movies. Lots of personal photographs, he took lots himself, he did almost seem obsessed with taking his own photos and movies. He was actually an outstanding photographer. Lots of his personal notebooks, where he recorded his preparations for his parts... the most sad was the one for his role as The Joker. He really did seem to get lost in the role. His Academy Award, BAFTA etc on display. Very good doco in the Arc cinema screening on repeat all day for free... which is a great little cinema in 30s style.

It's been a long time since I've been to the NFSA, given it has been downgraded so far by government budget cuts. But it seems to be being regenerated. It is a lovely old building, the courtyard is great, a lovely place for lunch, with sunny open spaces, water features and lots of covered balconies.

It is well worth a visit and leave enough time to do it. Parking is tough on a week day, given the proximity to ANU and the city, but probably plentiful on a weekend.

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/events/heath-le ... exhibition
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I watched Karate Kid the other night.

Daniel son !!!

Wax on Wax off..paint defence..side to side.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: