Austin not committed to money

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders five eighth Blake Austin says money not the be all and end all

Money wasn't the reason Blake Austin knocked back the Canberra Raiders' offer last year. He wants to be 100 per cent committed before he commits.

"I just want to go on record to say figures had nothing to do with that contract," Austin said. "I need to be 100 per cent confident with the decision and at the time that contract was put to me I wasn't... that's not to say I'm not happy here, that's not what I'm saying at all, but ... I was a little bit upset that it was portrayed that I was chasing more money because that's certainly not the case."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 4z9q3.html
EJ
David Furner

Re: Austin not committed to money

Post by EJ »

Fair enough. The bloke has more to think of than himself.
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

???? Like what though? Is this supposed to make people feel less bad about it? It’s more confusing than anything - does he want to be here or doesn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

I’m assuming this is actually a PR message to other clubs and sets of fans, not the raiders fans because what solace does that give? And presumably the club already knows that he doesn’t want to stay. Heard some talk about him / his Mrs not liking the ACT and not wanting to stay last year ... but also heard he just bought a house..?

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

that was one of the strangest articles ever written ,

and its not the kind of noise that will help him stay in first grade.

so its not about the money because he came from mount druit? Wouldn't be about the money then? He has limited employment options once footy finishes , so wouldnt he want to make as much as he can now to look after his family and give his kids a more comfortable lifestyle then he had?

He doesnt know if he is committed to what? raiders or rugby league? Has he been having those dreams Hayne had?

He wants back into Sydney?

Blake is one strange kettle of fish sometimes...
Vaccinated
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I thought he'd just bought a house too.... Strange times

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Not everyone is motivated by money. More money doesn't make you happier.

I hope he finds what it is he's looking for, because when he is on song and confident he's a hell of a footballer. Fixing up his defence will help too just quietly.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That sounds to me like Austin is/was unhappy with the way things are being coached/managed. May have been disappointed with the way the club handled a falling out between BJ and him for example.

In those situations if you’re not happy you’d definitely weigh up what you could get elsewhere.
jonisdangerous
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by jonisdangerous »

Hmmmmm?

He’s always struck me as a good bloke, a fella with a bit of a head on his shoulders, and clearly a family man. Can’t be easy being away from his ‘rents and having his squids so far away from his old cheese’s, and he and his cheese ‘n kisses have a few running around these days.

Canberra may be a great place for his immediate fam to live and for him to ply his trade, however if he could do that closer to his ‘rents, now that he’s somewhat established (except for the most recent weeks), the appeal of being back in Sydney is probably quite appealing, regardless of financial compensation.

Sorry... a very cheesy post.
"Look at Josh Dugan, his stupidity is amazing." - Brent Tate
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Austin had a lot of issues going on last season and turned down the offer due to multiple concerns and rightly so. I personally think he is not long for Canberra.

El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Captain Punish wrote:Austin had a lot of issues going on last season and turned down the offer due to multiple concerns and rightly so. I personally think he is not long for Canberra.

Yeah to me that reads like he wants to move. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

If he’s gone he’s gone.

I think we’ve already seen the best of him as a footballer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 16, 2018, 2:25 am Not everyone is motivated by money. More money doesn't make you happier.

I hope he finds what it is he's looking for, because when he is on song and confident he's a hell of a footballer. Fixing up his defence will help too just quietly.
Agree. He is from Sydney and if he pictures his future after football in Sydney, Canberra isn't the best option to help set that up. Not if he can get good money back in Sydney.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I don’t believe it. This time last year the half’s that were on the market were getting $1m+ per year offers and that is what Blake wanted. If the raiders would have offered him a $1m a year contract, he would have signed

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

gangrenous wrote: April 16, 2018, 8:36 am That sounds to me like Austin is/was unhappy with the way things are being coached/managed. May have been disappointed with the way the club handled a falling out between BJ and him for example.

In those situations if you’re not happy you’d definitely weigh up what you could get elsewhere.
Yep, I reckon it was something like that.

Austin owned his defensive issues in that article - more so than the usual stuff you hear from guys under the pump who trot out cliches - and I think he's generally more candid than most. So I'm content to take his word for it on the decision to decline the offer. $700K is a lot of money and I don't think he'd turn it down because he thought he was due more than that.

The thing is, regardless of his reasons, the club would be frustrated not having a half locked in. Possibly more so than when you know a guy is definitely leaving. The way the salary cap works, each player affects the next so Austin being up in the air probably had ramifications for Sezer, Papa, Junior, Boyd and co.

Personally, I hope he's happy now and can continue to produce the weekend's form consistently. If he does and Sezer controls the game as he has over the last fortnight, then we have legitimately dangerous halves pairing.

(I note this hasn't occurred for a sustained period in the past.)
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

LastRaider wrote: April 16, 2018, 6:53 pm I don’t believe it. This time last year the half’s that were on the market were getting $1m+ per year offers and that is what Blake wanted. If the raiders would have offered him a $1m a year contract, he would have signed

2017 Austin wasn't worth half that. If we offered him $1Mil Ricky and Don should have been sacked on the spot.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
LastRaider wrote: April 16, 2018, 6:53 pm I don’t believe it. This time last year the half’s that were on the market were getting $1m+ per year offers and that is what Blake wanted. If the raiders would have offered him a $1m a year contract, he would have signed

2017 Austin wasn't worth half that. If we offered him $1Mil Ricky and Don should have been sacked on the spot.
Hasn't been the same since he broke his hand, I think a lot of his issues are mental/confidence though
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

-TW- wrote: April 16, 2018, 7:22 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:

Hasn't been the same since he broke his hand, I think a lot of his issues are mental/confidence though
Totally agree about the mental/confidence thing. Reckon Sezer is the same. This is why Smith, Slater and Thurston have had outstanding careers: they have the unwavering confidence and mental strength to know they are good enough despite bad moments/bad games. Very few players have that.

Austin can definitely return to his 2015 form. We know that because even though every single club knows he will dummy and run - and prepares for it - no one can stop it when he does it at the right the time.

He just needs to choose when to run and when to pass. And he needs to defend like he did on Saturday. The first part is hard because his outside men are always a threat (I maintain he passed way too much and way too early last year) and going himself is always tempting (he's gone himself a few times when he shouldn't) so knowing when to make the play is the key. The second part, defence, is about confidence and focus. Actually, that means it's the same as the first part. Let's hope he strings a few good performances together.