The Travel Thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by The Nickman »

Also, just finished reading TR's post... I gaurantee Manbush has just booked one-way tickets to Izu!!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote:TR waltzes straight in and **** all over dibbers' rail pass suggestion... typical. I hate that guy.

Nice, huh. Took the bastard down in a single sentence.

I'm just so god damned alpha.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Have some photos

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:TR waltzes straight in and **** all over dibbers' rail pass suggestion... typical. I hate that guy.

Well... i'll just exit stage left then... lol

To be honest, i'd never considered hiring a car when i was in Japan (granted it was only for a couple of weeks on a holiday, i didn't live there or anything)... definitely something to ponder for the next trip.
I found a moon rock in my nose....
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dibbers wrote:
T_R wrote:

To be honest, i'd never considered hiring a car when i was in Japan (granted it was only for a couple of weeks on a holiday, i didn't live there or anything)... definitely something to ponder for the next trip.
I feel awful. For the record, when I was 17 I spent three months tooling around Japan on a JR pass and it was awesome.

The rule of thumb is that with 3 people and moderate distances, you're better in a rental. By yourself, or in a couple, JR pass is massively cheaper.

But I didn't read your post before replying, and I feel like a knob.

Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

T_R wrote:
Dibbers wrote:
T_R wrote:

I feel awful. For the record, when I was 17 I spent three months tooling around Japan on a JR pass and it was awesome.

The rule of thumb is that with 3 people and moderate distances, you're better in a rental. By yourself, or in a couple, JR pass is massively cheaper.

But I didn't read your post before replying, and I feel like a knob.
All good mate. I was 26 (I think) when i spent a fortnight in Japan, needless to say I was probably unable to drive for the vast majority of my time there... You go out for a feed, and no one understood "Coke"... so Kirin or Suntory it was... that and the 4L bottles of whiskey you can buy at 7/11 makes for a very non-sober holiday...
I found a moon rock in my nose....
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dibbers wrote: All good mate. I was 26 (I think) when i spent a fortnight in Japan, needless to say I was probably unable to drive for the vast majority of my time there... You go out for a feed, and no one understood "Coke"... so Kirin or Suntory it was... that and the 4L bottles of whiskey you can buy at 7/11 makes for a very non-sober holiday...
Oh, I think we all know that Nickman's the knob here.

Cheap booze in Japan is outrageous. I spent years playing rugby over there, and we used to go to these $10 all you can drink places after games. It was carnage.

Oh, and coke is Ko-ra.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:
Dibbers wrote: All good mate. I was 26 (I think) when i spent a fortnight in Japan, needless to say I was probably unable to drive for the vast majority of my time there... You go out for a feed, and no one understood "Coke"... so Kirin or Suntory it was... that and the 4L bottles of whiskey you can buy at 7/11 makes for a very non-sober holiday...
Oh, I think we all know that Nickman's the knob here.

Cheap booze in Japan is outrageous. I spent years playing rugby over there, and we used to go to these $10 all you can drink places after games. It was carnage.

Oh, and coke is Ko-ra.
Fair... very fair
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have visited Tokyo a couple of times, and I can't really say I liked it much. There are vast amounts of urban sprawl, which is not particularly attractive. I kept being told the most exciting thing was the fish markets... but I didn't get to see them in action (that in itself points to not much for the tourist in terms of sights). I do remember a couple of restaurants which were in traditional style... and they were like a beautiful oasis in an urban jungle. Did get taken out to the coast to see temples and gardens and that was good.

Prague, Paris... amazing cities, my favourites in Europe. You won't find any shortage of things to do.

In Paris, get the green Michelin guide to Paris and do some of the walking circuits. Don't bother going to EuroDisney if you've been to a Disney Park in the USA. There's plenty of better ways to spend your time in the city. Five days will go no where. In Paris, if you want to do museums... and you like French impressionist art... don't forget Musee d'Orsay or the Orangerie in the gardens of the Louvre. Musee d'Orsay is a converted railway station and is amazing just as a building. Plus the best impressionist art collection in the world. If you have time, it's easy to catch a train to the Versailles Palace... it is extraordinary. Place des Vosges is one of my favourite places... find one of the restaurants there for lunch, sitting under the arches and then explore the Marais district. Montmartre is worth going to, but a crush of tourists and cheap art.

Prague... the old square, Charles Bridge, Prague Castle walk. It is incredibly beautiful, the old town.

In Copenhagen, a must is the Nyhaven, and I liked the Tivoli Gardens... they are where Walt Disney got the idea for Disneyland from... they are very much more sedate and very old fashioned though. Plus check out the castles in the city (can only see them from outside as I recall). Did a good bus trip out to another one... but can't remember the name of it now.

In Rome... watch pick pockets. Avoid overly crowded buses, they love those. I found Rome to be hot, crowded and dirty... incredible sights, of course... but didn't love the experience I had there. If Corfu is anything like the nearby Amalfi that will be amazing.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

T_R wrote:Image
That's not TR... He doesn't match the image I have in my head
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That's TR.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Thanks ***by
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Sorry about that :D

Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

T_R wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Sorry about that :D
I met TR once. The best day ever. The memories.. This happened. Good times.. Image

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's exactly how I pictured TR

ugly inside and out
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:Also, just finished reading TR's post... I gaurantee Manbush has just booked one-way tickets to Izu!!
I was just about to post the exact same thing. Weird.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Boy, TR is looking good in that photo with me up there.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The jacket makes me look taller

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

You both look so handsome. Image

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'll say this, you got TR's head-size exactly right.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Dave's hair was massive. I had to increase TR's just to fit. Wherever Dave went for a mop chop needs to lift their game.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Nickman looks like a failed applicant from the early rounds of the audition for the role of Frodo

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Pffffft, I knocked THEM back
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Captain Punish wrote:Dave's hair was massive. I had to increase TR's just to fit. Wherever Dave went for a mop chop needs to lift their game.

he needs a visit to uncle chad's sloppy mop top chop shop

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I was there that day. I remember Nickman, TR and Shillo but I don't remember captain punish. Just some other **** **** featured git.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:I was there that day. I remember Nickman, TR and Shillo but I don't remember captain punish. Just some other **** **** featured git.
Oh, that wanker!

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

bonehead wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:Dave's hair was massive. I had to increase TR's just to fit. Wherever Dave went for a mop chop needs to lift their game.

he needs a visit to uncle chad's sloppy mop top chop shop

That is an Uncle Chadz sloppy mop top chop shop special.

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

T_R wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:I was there that day. I remember Nickman, TR and Shillo but I don't remember captain punish. Just some other **** **** featured git.
Oh, that wanker!

I hate him.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I just remember greasy burritos

And greasy Albi
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

The Nickman wrote:
I just remember greasy burritos

And greasy Albi
Judging by this pic, Albi looks damn greasy.. Image

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Has anyone been to Central America? I’m looking to book a trip to Mexico, Belize, Guatemala for late Feb/March

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

My mate is married to a Mexican lady. During a chat with her she made mention that if you ever go to Guatemala, be very, very careful

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Yeah, we've had a wander through Belize and Guatemala, though a few years back now.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Heading to Hawaii for the first time in August. Staying in Honolulu. Any recommendations? On my bucket list so far:
* Zipline at Kualoa Ranch
* Movie tour at Kualoa Ranch
* Pearl Harbour
* Cheesecake Factory
* Bubba Gumps
* Friends have recommended hiring a car and driving to some Volcano
* Mac Daddy Pancake challenge - Eat 3x 14” pancakes in 90 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Heading to Hawaii for the first time in August. Staying in Honolulu. Any recommendations? On my bucket list so far:
* Zipline at Kualoa Ranch
* Movie tour at Kualoa Ranch
* Pearl Harbour
* Cheesecake Factory
* Bubba Gumps
* Friends have recommended hiring a car and driving to some Volcano
* Mac Daddy Pancake challenge - Eat 3x 14” pancakes in 90 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Kailua makes for a lovely drive/beach day