Croker for the wing

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Croker for the wing

Post by edwahu »

Toots almost never gets to the contest though. There has never been a player blocked on the run more.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Sid wrote: April 6, 2018, 1:44 pm Gould mentioned last night something along the lines that Croker is the best in the comp at contested catches.. would have to say that it'd be Croker if not Vunivalu.. who else would be up there?
Actually it was "best kick chaser" (which includes grubbers and uncontested catches).

If it was solely contested catches, I'm not sure if Croker would be "the best", but he'd be right up there.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

edwahu wrote: April 6, 2018, 10:57 am The one area I can't imagine Croker would be much use at is the whole diving finish thing that wingers have perfected these last few years. Could be a deal breaker.
I agree. Toots is a good finisher, but I don't think he has that gymnastic-like athleticism that most wingers have these days. They're really good at being able to contort their bodies, and do acrobatic leaps to get the ball down inside the corner post.

Doesn't mean Croker couldn't be a very adequate winger and score plenty of tries. He just may miss a few opportunities that more athletic wingers could have scored.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Finchy wrote: April 6, 2018, 2:12 pm
Sid wrote: April 6, 2018, 1:44 pm Gould mentioned last night something along the lines that Croker is the best in the comp at contested catches.. would have to say that it'd be Croker if not Vunivalu.. who else would be up there?
Actually it was "best kick chaser" (which includes grubbers and uncontested catches).

If it was solely contested catches, I'm not sure if Croker would be "the best", but he'd be right up there.

Ah yep, that's what it was. Makes more sense and I'd have to agree with it!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Leeroy Jenkins
Brett Mullins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Finchy wrote: April 6, 2018, 2:16 pm
edwahu wrote: April 6, 2018, 10:57 am The one area I can't imagine Croker would be much use at is the whole diving finish thing that wingers have perfected these last few years. Could be a deal breaker.
I agree. Toots is a good finisher, but I don't think he has that gymnastic-like athleticism that most wingers have these days. They're really good at being able to contort their bodies, and do acrobatic leaps to get the ball down inside the corner post.

Doesn't mean Croker couldn't be a very adequate winger and score plenty of tries. He just may miss a few opportunities that more athletic wingers could have scored.
Nothing he couldn't learn - they do train specifically for this with gym mats etc.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote: April 6, 2018, 3:17 pm

Nothing he couldn't learn - they do train specifically for this with gym mats etc.
I don't think he has the body type, personally.

But then again Cotric is quite solid yet still reasonably acrobatic, so who knows?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

That’s right. Get Cap onto a trampoline and tell him to get practising.

Is there a Flipout world in Canberra he can go to?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

He’s had a couple of acrobatic put-downs from big leaps
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

edwahu wrote: April 6, 2018, 2:05 pm Toots almost never gets to the contest though. There has never been a player blocked on the run more.
Amen to this. The amount of times he gets shoved off, run off, or outright blocked is ridiculous - and we almost never get a penalty for it either.

(This did lead to a really hilarious try against the Rabbitohs in the tail end of 2016 when on the kick, the Rabbits were so busy trying to run Croker off the ball, that they completely forgot about Edrick Lee.)

Even last night, on one of the kicks there was an outright wall formed, three Bulldogs standing shoulder to shoulder and not even trying to do anything other than be a wall, but of course no penalty.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Do it for the team JC. If Sezer can be moved from the halves to hooker, surely a move from centre to wing would be less of a sea change. On the wing you have the defenders best friend, the sideline, as an unflinching compatriot.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

How many wingers have been captains?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Wasn't Nightingale the Dragons' captain at one stage?
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: April 6, 2018, 8:23 pm He’s had a couple of acrobatic put-downs from big leaps
Hurt himself (shoulders?) when doing them too, from memory.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Croker for the wing

Post by LastRaider »

CJR wrote:How many wingers have been captains?

Good point, so I think it’s time now we look at appointing Hodgson as Co-Captain.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sure, let’s appoint a guy who’s out injured currently with an ACL, which some guys never recover from properly.

No thanks. He’s back and performing as expected before it’s even a consideration.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I don't see anything wrong at all with his leaping, sliding and spatial awareness/co-ordination. I've no doubt with a few weeks of the trampoline training they do he'd pick it up. Except this is the GH where you have to be perfect at everything straight away and Cotric will never be a passing fullback because of one game where he played really well actually :/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Croker for the wing

Post by gangrenous »

Amen BnM.

Another nail you’ve smashed square in the head.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

I don't really think there's a big question mark against whether Croker can be a good winger, rather it's whether or not he's better there than in the centres. The attributes he showed to score a couple of tries last Thursday are things he has shown in the centres also, just Sezer hasn't always been as accurate with his kicking and sadly we don't get to play the Bulldogs' woefully-positioned back 3 every week.

For mine he's still better off in the 3 jersey. With the assumption that Wighton won't be around much longer I don't see any scenario in which Croker is permanently moved from his left-centre role.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Yeah, the Sezer-Croker combination has had plenty of tries like that before while Croker was playing centre, so I'm not sure it really means a move would be necessary.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
DarkRaider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DarkRaider »

I don’t mind the idea not because I think he’ll necessarily be a better winger than centre but simply because it would allow Cotric and Wighton to play at 1 and 3 or vice versa and seamlessly switch them as required during a match.

For example Wighton could defend at left centre most of the time shoring up that edge defence, Cotric could spend a bunch of time at the back developing in the position and getting plenty of involvement. But then Jack could jump in at fullback if Nic needs a breather or to run some of those edge plays that Wighton typically executes really well, or even just to mix things up for the opposition.

I think it could play to the strengths of all 3 of Croker, Cotric and Wighton.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: April 9, 2018, 7:38 pm

I don't see anything wrong at all with his leaping, sliding and spatial awareness/co-ordination. I've no doubt with a few weeks of the trampoline training they do he'd pick it up. Except this is the GH where you have to be perfect at everything straight away and Cotric will never be a passing fullback because of one game where he played really well actually :/
Its not 1 game in his career though. Its 1 game in the NRL. He was played FB in Jr grades, of which is a larger part of his career to date. Hell, he has probably played more centre than FB too. Anyone who has watched more than just the NRL has seen him play, and his game hasn't changed. He has always been a big, fast, strong kid, the only thing is, and since coming into the NRL, his maturity beyond his years, proves his class, which is why many believe he looks like he could well be a superstar.

That doesn't change the fact that in the current game, elite FBs are ball players. Yes, some of the current guys have had to learn the skill, but that's also because this has only changed in the last 5yrs. The likes of Slater, Inglis and Boyd made it so. In previous generations the FBs with ball skills moved to 5/8 - like Lockyer. These days its almost the opposite, so guys like Trbojevic, Mbye, Lolohea and even Jack all played halves in the junior grades.

Maybe Cotric can learn, but off what I've seen, he is more likely to be an elite centre. Without wanting to put a mocker on the kid, but lets face it, Im not the 1st, he could well be as influential a centre as Mal himself.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Cotric was a center in the U20s, except at rep level where he killed it.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Matt wrote: April 10, 2018, 11:41 am
BadnMean wrote: April 9, 2018, 7:38 pm

That doesn't change the fact that in the current game, elite FBs are ball players. Yes, some of the current guys have had to learn the skill, but that's also because this has only changed in the last 5yrs. The likes of Slater, Inglis and Boyd made it so. In previous generations the FBs with ball skills moved to 5/8 - like Lockyer. These days its almost the opposite, so guys like Trbojevic, Mbye, Lolohea and even Jack all played halves in the junior grades.

Maybe Cotric can learn, but off what I've seen, he is more likely to be an elite centre. Without wanting to put a mocker on the kid, but lets face it, Im not the 1st, he could well be as influential a centre as Mal himself.

Lolohea is a liability over the course of a season, takes so many poor choices.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

CJR wrote: April 7, 2018, 11:20 am How many wingers have been captains?

Ziggy Niszczot captained Souths from the wing in the 80's.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Matt wrote: April 10, 2018, 11:41 am That doesn't change the fact that in the current game, elite FBs are ball players. Yes, some of the current guys have had to learn the skill, but that's also because this has only changed in the last 5yrs. The likes of Slater, Inglis and Boyd made it so. In previous generations the FBs with ball skills moved to 5/8 - like Lockyer. These days its almost the opposite, so guys like Trbojevic, Mbye, Lolohea and even Jack all played halves in the junior grades.

Matt, I agree with your general opinion on the evolution of Fullback play over the last 10 years or so. I disagree with the bolded part however. I feel it is more coaching than what those mentioned players do that has changed things. Slater and Boyd particularly were not natural ball players when they came into the NRL. In fact early career Slater when he was a centre was a poor passser.

Cotric is certainly looking like centre is his best position but no reason a quality player with his desire to improve can't develop those aspects of his game like his predecessors.
Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Post by Relax-init »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 6, 2018, 5:10 pm
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

That’s right. Get Cap onto a trampoline and tell him to get practising.

Is there a Flipout world in Canberra he can go to?
Yep Flipout is in Mitchell. About 10 minute drive from the training ground.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Wiki Special wrote: April 11, 2018, 7:26 am
Matt wrote: April 10, 2018, 11:41 am That doesn't change the fact that in the current game, elite FBs are ball players. Yes, some of the current guys have had to learn the skill, but that's also because this has only changed in the last 5yrs. The likes of Slater, Inglis and Boyd made it so. In previous generations the FBs with ball skills moved to 5/8 - like Lockyer. These days its almost the opposite, so guys like Trbojevic, Mbye, Lolohea and even Jack all played halves in the junior grades.

Matt, I agree with your general opinion on the evolution of Fullback play over the last 10 years or so. I disagree with the bolded part however. I feel it is more coaching than what those mentioned players do that has changed things. Slater and Boyd particularly were not natural ball players when they came into the NRL. In fact early career Slater when he was a centre was a poor passser.

Cotric is certainly looking like centre is his best position but no reason a quality player with his desire to improve can't develop those aspects of his game like his predecessors.
Like the other 2 of the Big 3, U know Slater didnt play his current position as a young man. Cam was a half that moved to hooker. Cronk was a hooker that moved to half. Slater was a 5/8 come centre as a young man, bit like Jack. Limited ball play, but better than none.

As a side note, GI was a fullback, who got moved to centre, before 5/8 and FB.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Basically my opinion too @Matt
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Lockyer moved from FB to 5/8th but I can't think of many others. I also think the ball playing of most fullbacks is overstated, as the game is mostly one dimensional compared to the past. I mean Boyd's ball playing is basically catching and passing in the same old out back sweep play every week. Cliffy Lyons they are not.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

edwahu wrote: April 12, 2018, 12:24 pm Lockyer moved from FB to 5/8th but I can't think of many others. I also think the ball playing of most fullbacks is overstated, as the game is mostly one dimensional compared to the past. I mean Boyd's ball playing is basically catching and passing in the same old out back sweep play every week. Cliffy Lyons they are not.
Agree. I'd rate Wighton's ball playing at a decent level. Levels above RTS, for instance. This does not make him a better fullback than RTS by any stretch, as the defence and positioning RTS displays week in and week out make up for his lack of ball playing tenfold.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
edwahu wrote: April 12, 2018, 12:24 pm Lockyer moved from FB to 5/8th but I can't think of many others. I also think the ball playing of most fullbacks is overstated, as the game is mostly one dimensional compared to the past. I mean Boyd's ball playing is basically catching and passing in the same old out back sweep play every week. Cliffy Lyons they are not.
Agree. I'd rate Wighton's ball playing at a decent level. Levels above RTS, for instance. This does not make him a better fullback than RTS by any stretch, as the defence and positioning RTS displays week in and week out make up for his lack of ball playing tenfold.
Wighton has difficulty straightening his attacking line and therefore is not able to pass back on the inside when he gets the ball in hand.

He is one of the better fullbacks for putting his winger away with a good pass, but he can be a bit of a one trick pony always heading out wide on each sweep. Look at how well Slater can go wide, straight or inside.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

BJ wrote: April 12, 2018, 2:25 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
Wighton has difficulty straightening his attacking line and therefore is not able to pass back on the inside when he gets the ball in hand.

He is one of the better fullbacks for putting his winger away with a good pass, but he can be a bit of a one trick pony always heading out wide on each sweep. Look at how well Slater can go wide, straight or inside.
Yep, thats fair, he can put away a winger, pick a gap, but he regularly runs his outside men out of room as well. Getting him to straighten his runs would open up so many possibilities, especially with the strength of our edges.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote:

Like the other 2 of the Big 3, U know Slater didnt play his current position as a young man. Cam was a half that moved to hooker. Cronk was a hooker that moved to half. Slater was a 5/8 come centre as a young man, bit like Jack. Limited ball play, but better than none.

Cronk was actually a centre, but your point is spot on.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote:

Cronk was actually a centre, but your point is spot on.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Croker can’t be a winger due to poor kick returns. He’s fine in the attacking 20. Other than that he would be a poor choice for a winger.