Knights 13+
37%

Total votes: 35

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2018 Rd 2 V Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Blake Austin tips Aidan Sezer to bounce back from benching

Canberra Raiders playmaker Blake Austin has paid tribute to close mate Aidan Sezer for his willingness to put the team first early in the season.

"It's a tough situation as his mate, obviously it's not always easy to find the words to say to him," Austin said of Sezer. "He's had a really good pre-season and trained his backside off, and he was really excited to start in the No.7. To Aidan's credit he's playing a role that's foreign to him but anybody who watched him on the weekend he certainly went out and had a crack and put his body in front of some big boys."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/14/bla ... -benching/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Charlie Gubb excited to make his Canberra Raiders debut

Charlie Gubb will make his Canberra Raiders debut off the bench against Newcastle on Sunday, while his partner Charlene will debut for her rugby union team on Saturday.

"I'm just really excited to get out there. I was 18th man on the weekend [and] I really wanted to play against the Titans, but I've got my opportunity now through Taps' misfortune," Charlie said. "I just want to do my job and hopefully secure my spot ... that's what I came here for so it's just time to do my job."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0xfwo.html
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

BadnMean wrote:
RTW wrote: March 14, 2018, 3:18 pm Last week Ash Taylor made 9 tackles Elgey made 7 when you have blokes like Papalii and Tapine on your edge I can’t understand why you aren’t directing them at a couple of young halves.

I will be disappointed if Pearce doesn’t make 20+ tackles this week.
That's an interesting stat. Are we over-feeding our wide men (playing to a strength) at the cost of wearing down the opposition halves (a few more knocks and a but more gassed and possibly dropped confidence if they miss a couple of tackles) perhaps? Is that why Ash Taylor had a field day?

There's "worrying about us and what we do well" which is king in RL.
Cricket tends to consider more, "What would the opposition really f'ing hate us to do right now?".

To put it into perspective Moylan made 22 tackles last week and the Cowboys reaped the rewards as a result
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

2018 Rd 2 V Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by El_Capitano »

Wow both our guys had 20 + tackles and the Titans were around 9 each...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

To put it in context we also made 40% more tackles and spent more time running out of our own end.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Newcastle Knights forward Aidan Guerra is wary of Canberra's up-front firepower

NEWCASTLE’S forwards are bracing themselves to withstand a barrage of heavy traffic in Sunday’s clash with Canberra at GIO Stadium.

“They’re a big forward pack, and they’re powerful guys,” Guerra said. “They probably play off the back of their back five, and then their forwards will come at us on [tackles] three, four and five, and just try and kick down our front door.

Read more: http://www.theherald.com.au/story/52852 ... nes-power/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Write off Canberra Raiders at own risk: Newcastle Knights coach Nathan Brown

Alarm bells starting ringing in the nation's capital when the Raiders gave up an 18-0 lead after 12 minutes last weekend to suffer a last-gasp defeat to Gold Coast thanks to a 79th-minute Konrad Hurrell try.

"To have 40 per cent possession and score five tries, as many as the opposition, is a pretty fair effort really," Brown said. "On the other hand, three of the Coast's tries came on the last tackle from kicks. When you look at those stats, they certainly don't lie. When they get the ball, they are lethal.

Read more: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/39 ... isk-brown/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' close NRL games don't come down to final five minutes

Canberra five-eighth Blake Austin says the Raiders' horror record in tight NRL contests can't be put down to their performance at the end of games. Austin says their video review focused on incidents earlier in the game.

"There were plenty of good things in that game but, unfortunately, we let a couple of errors creep in and we lost control of the possession stat again. The last five or six minutes wasn't exactly where we lost the match on the weekend. So, when we go over everything with a fine comb, we've got to make sure we get every moment in the game."

Read more: http://www.theherald.com.au/story/52850 ... s/?cs=4783
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

zim wrote: March 14, 2018, 8:47 pm To put it in context we also made 40% more tackles and spent more time running out of our own end.
Bingo! I noticed a decided intention to target the Titans smaller players when we had the ball. In the second half we had no well positioned possession to enable us to continue the tactic. I don't think there was much wrong with our tactics during the game, nor the potency of our attack when in possession. We lost because for a good proportion of the game we had insufficient possession. Get to the root of that problem and improvement should come.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

CJR wrote: March 14, 2018, 3:26 pm Buhrer potentially to miss the game

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Scared of Jnr and Papa..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Those stats indicate that our team is trying to go around the opposition. I suppose this is considered a common tactical mistake, being that you need to wear teams down and attack their halves to stop them coming back at you when in possession.
Having said that, its pretty hard for a team to change tactics when you score 24 points in the first 25 minutes.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: March 14, 2018, 5:28 pm
RTW wrote: March 14, 2018, 3:18 pm Last week Ash Taylor made 9 tackles Elgey made 7 when you have blokes like Papalii and Tapine on your edge I can’t understand why you aren’t directing them at a couple of young halves.

I will be disappointed if Pearce doesn’t make 20+ tackles this week.
That's an interesting stat. Are we over-feeding our wide men (playing to a strength) at the cost of wearing down the opposition halves (a few more knocks and a but more gassed and possibly dropped confidence if they miss a couple of tackles) perhaps? Is that why Ash Taylor had a field day?

There's "worrying about us and what we do well" which is king in RL.
Cricket tends to consider more, "What would the opposition really f'ing hate us to do right now?".
Some of that has to be a lack of ball for us. We scored very easily in that first 30mins, not too many tackles were being made. That said, when the going got tough, that's where we should have directed some more traffic. Easier meters to make through a half.
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

Matt wrote: March 15, 2018, 8:48 am Some of that has to be a lack of ball for us. We scored very easily in that first 30mins, not too many tackles were being made. That said, when the going got tough, that's where we should have directed some more traffic. Easier meters to make through a half.
We also scored around the middle of the ruck, catching Peats out a couple of times. He's freshly back from a shoulder injury and had it heavily strapped, I suspect we picked on him instead of the halves and it worked an absolute treat. I thought tactically we were fine (except for the bench), it's execution that let us down.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to pay tribute to Kato Ottio on Sunday

The Canberra Raiders will be celebrating the life of Kato Ottio who tragically passed away earlier this year, at Sunday’s match against the Newcastle Knights at GIO Stadium.

A post-game tribute will be celebrated by both the Raiders and the Knights at the conclusion of the NRL game which will be led by members of the local PNG community – The Capital Wantoks.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/03 ... on-sunday/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Gubb looking forward to Raiders debut

Raiders prop Charlie Gubb wants nothing more than to run out onto the footy field on Sunday with his teammates at GIO Stadium.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/03 ... ers-debut/

Gallery: Raiders prepare for first home game: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/03 ... home-game/

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Knights: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/03 ... v-knights/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

CEO Don Furner says Canberra Raiders salary cap drama has been resolved

THERE were fears Canberra would have to shed a number of big-name stars, with Joey Leilua and Aidan Sezer in the firing line to depart. But Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner says the Raiders were cap compliant after releasing Papua New Guinea international Kurt Baptiste (Leigh and the Roosters) and Clay Priest (Canterbury). He said the Raiders had approximately $70,000 up their sleeve ...

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a976b2b6cf
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shannon Boyd says Canberra Raiders won’t slip up again

Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd says a lesson’s been learnt from Sunday’s round one NRL loss to the Gold Coast Titans.

“We should have put the foot on the throat a bit earlier. It should never have been that close,” Boyd said. “We have to move on from that game. I know we have to be a bit better and win those tighter games.”

Read more: https://www.cowraguardian.com.au/story/ ... -up-again/
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Far out. Put these blokes on a media ban.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

A bit better Shannon?
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Woodgers wrote:Far out. Put these blokes on a media ban.
Agreed!!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: March 15, 2018, 12:32 pm CEO Don Furner says Canberra Raiders salary cap drama has been resolved

THERE were fears Canberra would have to shed a number of big-name stars, with Joey Leilua and Aidan Sezer in the firing line to depart. But Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner says the Raiders were cap compliant after releasing Papua New Guinea international Kurt Baptiste (Leigh and the Roosters) and Clay Priest (Canterbury). He said the Raiders had approximately $70,000 up their sleeve ...

70k up our sleeve... minimum wage players are 80k :hmmm

Could come in handy if we end up letting someone go I suppose. But do you get a spot in your 30 man squad back if you let players go early?
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

Woodgers wrote:Far out. Put these blokes on a media ban.
I think it’s time for Gubb to do his job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

edwahu wrote:
greeneyed wrote: March 15, 2018, 12:32 pm CEO Don Furner says Canberra Raiders salary cap drama has been resolved

Could come in handy if we end up letting someone go I suppose. But do you get a spot in your 30 man squad back if you let players go early?

Yeah I wouldn’t really describe it as up our sleeve, more like shaking the change out of the kids piggy bank.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

jozzas wrote: March 15, 2018, 10:25 am
Matt wrote: March 15, 2018, 8:48 am Some of that has to be a lack of ball for us. We scored very easily in that first 30mins, not too many tackles were being made. That said, when the going got tough, that's where we should have directed some more traffic. Easier meters to make through a half.
We also scored around the middle of the ruck, catching Peats out a couple of times. He's freshly back from a shoulder injury and had it heavily strapped, I suspect we picked on him instead of the halves and it worked an absolute treat. I thought tactically we were fine (except for the bench), it's execution that let us down.
Good point
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Jason wrote:
edwahu wrote:

Yeah I wouldn’t really describe it as up our sleeve, more like shaking the change out of the kids piggy bank.

If we have 70K left we should be front loading Crokers contract for 2018 and use the extra money elsewhere in 2019.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

70k might be blakes pay rise ... I kid I kid
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

RTW wrote: March 15, 2018, 2:46 pm
Jason wrote:
edwahu wrote:

If we have 70K left we should be front loading Crokers contract for 2018 and use the extra money elsewhere in 2019.
Probably need it for all those rep and performance bonuses that will get triggered :lol:
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

The 70k is probably for a player on the outer and the current club is willing to front most the wage this season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker cleared to face Newcastle Knights

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker says the NRL protocols are important for player welfare and is confident he'll pass his final assessment to face the Newcastle Knights at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

"I'm all good, unfortunate in round one obviously, but just lucky I was allowed to go back on. I've taken all the precautions this week and I'm right to go," he said. "When we came back in on Tuesday I had the assessment again, I've got another one today, which I'll breeze through today so I'm good to go."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0xhos.html

The Canberra Times sport podcast: Can the Canberra Raiders turn things around? http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/a ... 0xixy.html

Croker right for Raiders after head knock: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/39 ... ead-knock/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Blake Austin wary of resurgent Newcastle Knights

Blake Austin is wary of a resurgent Knights side full of confidence after their golden point victory against Manly in round one.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/03 ... t-knights/
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

I don't get these articles, saying we have an easy draw considering these teams off season recruits and their trial results and form in round 1... Its a new season especially this year with so many high profile players swapping clubs all over the nrl.
And just quietly, pappa should of seen hurrell coming and smashed him before he got to Croker. All he wanted was to steam train over him
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

Strange thing.
The Raiders are comfortable favourites to win this game with the bookies, most "experts" are picking us too. Raiders winning 1-12 and 13+ are pretty much equal faves, with Knights 13+ the outsider.
Yet on the poll at the top of the thread here has the majority picking a Knights win, and Knights 13+ is the most popular option.
Are we a bunch of (to use a GH term) negos here? Or are the punters and the RL media missing just how **** we are?
(I'm of the view it's the latter).

In 2017, we almost inevitably saved our worst performances for the weeks after those close losses. A loss like last week will have seriously knocked the boys around.
It's forecast to be 33 degrees on Sunday, not great weather for a large forward pack against the likes of Ponga and Watson. Especially when the Knights have an extra two days to prepare. Even if it's a bit cooler by 6:30, it will still be hot.
Newcastle by 20 for mine.
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The Knights have been our bogey team for the last few seasons. They are much stronger than they have been in years while we are weaker on paper and just as mentally fragile as last year.

That is my reason for backing the Knights.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Bogy team and wooden spooners... Tells me a lot about our side right there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Newcastle Knights utility Connor Watson braces for heavy traffic against Canberra Raiders

HE is Newcastle’s smallest player, and livewire utility Connor Watson expects to be targeted in defence by Canberra’s heavyweights during Sunday’s showdown at GIO Stadium.

“Being a little bloke, you have to make most of tackles because they see the height difference in the line and run at you,” Watson said on Thursday. “Every time I’ve played hooker, I’ve been run at a fair bit. But it’s NRL, it’s first grade.

Read more: http://www.theherald.com.au/story/52874 ... -canberra/

Knights pack primed for next raid against Canberra: http://www.theherald.com.au/story/52823 ... d/?cs=2503

Knights will need to improve against Canberra: http://www.theherald.com.au/story/52875 ... ra/?cs=306