Wests Tigers 2018

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Wests Tigers 2018

Post by greeneyed »

Wests Tigers best 17: The ‘Mr Fix It’ who can break or break Ivan Cleary’s men

WESTS Tigers have not played NRL finals since 2011. That’s worse than Newcastle and on par with the Warriors — the competition’s perennial battlers in recent times.

Ivan Cleary was brought in to save the club and turn its fortunes around. You can write 2017 off but now fans want to start seeing results. Factor in the loss of Mitchell Moses, James Tedesco and Aaron Woods, and Cleary’s task seems more than a little tricky.

THE BEST 17

1. Tui Lolohea
2. Kevin Naiqama
3. Moses Suli
4. Taane Milne
5. David Nofoaluma
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Luke Brooks
8. Russell Packer
9. Matt McIlwrick
10. Ben Matulino
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Chris McQueen
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Jacob Liddle
15. Alex Twal
16. Sauaso Sue
17. Esan Marsters

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b3fe7a9c6b
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Wests Tigers 2018

Post by Sid »

Spoon.

Just cut them or re-locate them to WA already.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hard to see them making the finals.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

That really is an ordinary looking roster. Nofoaluma, Reynolds and Matulino are about the only ones that would be certain of a 1st grade spot at another club. McQueen and Taylor maybe too.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Northern Raider wrote:That really is an ordinary looking roster. Nofoaluma, Reynolds and Matulino are about the only ones that would be certain of a 1st grade spot at another club. McQueen and Taylor maybe too.
Packer? Lawrence? Lolohea?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Notaroboticfish wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:That really is an ordinary looking roster. Nofoaluma, Reynolds and Matulino are about the only ones that would be certain of a 1st grade spot at another club. McQueen and Taylor maybe too.
Packer? Lawrence? Lolohea?
I may have exaggerated a little but of those 3 I only really rate Lolohea......and he's bit of a rocks or diamonds player. Warriors didn't want him. I guess they already had a roster full of those.

I don't rate Packer. Only good for about 20 mins a game. Lawrence was good 5 years ago. No longer NRL standard IMO.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Sheesh, tigers backline looks awful defensively

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Position for position there isn't anyone I'd swap from the Raiders best starting 13 for anyone in that Tigers 13.. and that's coming from a side that finished 10th.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote:
Position for position there isn't anyone I'd swap from the Raiders best starting 13 for anyone in that Tigers 13.. and that's coming from a side that finished 10th.
I'd be interested to know what Tigers fans would say in the reverse.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

true

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Tigers would be asinine to not take Rapana, Cotric, Croker maybe BJ.

Papalii, Hodgson and arguably Whitehead are better than any tiger

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

I’d swap Blake for Josh Reynolds and I’d consider Packer for Shannon if Packer wasn’t a garbage human being.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Moses Suli (the player they gave a 3 year $1.3 million deal to before he had finished a game of U20s last year) has been released and is heading to the Dogs according to Buzz
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Moses Suli's departure from Wests Tigers to Canterbury Bulldogs six months in the making

The Wests Tigers know they could one day rue the decision to release Moses Suli, but the club didn’t want to jeopardise the culture being developed under coach Ivan Cleary. This wasn’t a decision based on talent. According to the Tigers, it was a decision based on the player's attitude. It was a decision based on a lack of regard for the selflessness and standards the team is trying to create.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/31/why ... ts-tigers/

Suli reveals why he left Wests Tigers to sign with Bulldogs: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/31/mos ... -bulldogs/

Teen Wests Tigers star Moses Suli makes shock switch to Canterbury Bulldogs: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0rb0t.html
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Weren't the Bulldogs over the cap untill they swapped Abbey for Priest?
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Yes, but it’s probably likely that whatever amount over the cap they would be is being paid by the Tigers. He was getting paid $400k a year and wasn’t anything particularly special (yet, atleast) so the Tigers would have to be paying most of his salary still

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Yes, but it’s probably likely that whatever amount over the cap they would be is being paid by the Tigers. He was getting paid $400k a year and wasn’t anything particularly special (yet, atleast) so the Tigers would have to be paying most of his salary still

Tigers reportedly aren't paying anything apart from what he'd already earnt... It was a mutual release supposedly
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Really? Surprised Suli would agree to that, he was getting a lot that he will maybe never see again.

Idk about the cap then

El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

Josh Reynolds got a Fox Sports gig?!
How soon IS now?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Incredible... and we're going to have to put up with him on NRL 360 all year by the looks.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Old mate at Fox sports is an idiot, the one who is hiring all these boofheads to be on TV.

Anasta
Ennis
Reynold.....at least no Sharon Woods

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:Old mate at Fox sports is an idiot, the one who is hiring all these boofheads to be on TV.

Anasta
Ennis
Reynold.....at least no Sharon Woods

its crawley from ch9

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Michael Chee-Kam turns to Wests Tigers teammate Chris Lawrence for advice

Chris Lawrence might be a man of few words but Michael Chee-Kam is lapping up every one of them from his experienced Wests Tigers teammate.

The man they call 'Rowdy' is having a substantial influence on Chee-Kam as the 26-year-old negotiates his way from being a centre/back-row utility to concentrating on being a permanent fixture in the forward pack.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/09/mic ... or-advice/
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Why Reynolds passed on Sharks to become a Tiger

The easy option for Josh Reynolds would have been to sign with Cronulla. They wanted him. He already called the Shire home. There was a golden opportunity to join a star-studded roster that was more than capable of winning another NRL title.

It made sense that the Cronulla club was about to roll out the black, white and blue carpet for yet another larrikin. There were conversations with coach Shane Flanagan. Even his old mate from the Bulldogs, Mick Ennis, did his best sales pitch.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zkd4.html
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

tiger's trying to get farah mid season

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Cleary doesn't seem to be a Liddle or McIlwrick fan. Farah's playing well enough to play first grade, just, seems so awkward given all the drama that saw him leave haha.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Michael Maguire linked to Wests Tigers coaching job

MICHAEL Maguire appears the most likely to take over as Wests Tigers coach if Ivan Cleary departs for Penrith in 2019. It appears unlikely the Tigers would be able to lure master coach Wayne Bennett to the club for next season.

Cleary has reportedly agreed to return to the Panthers in 2021, at the conclusion of his Tigers deal, on a three-year contract.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... nt=control
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wests Tigers release Ivan Cleary, appoint Michael Maguire

Wests Tigers are pleased to announce that Michael Maguire has been appointed as the club's Head Coach.

Under the new agreement Maguire will take on the Head Coach role for at least the next three seasons.

Maguire, a Premiership winning Head Coach with the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Wigan Warriors, is currently in charge of the New Zealand Kiwis side.

Maguire will join Wests Tigers at the end of the Kiwis' Test Series against England.

Maguire said he was looking forward to joining Wests Tigers in the coming weeks.

"The biggest appeal in taking on this role is being able to work with the leadership that has been built on and off the field at Wests Tigers," said Maguire. "It's one of the biggest clubs in the NRL and I want to take it to long-term success.

"There's a really good mix of experience within the squad along with a group of exciting young players coming through," he said. "Wests Tigers also provides a great opportunity to build pathways for the talented juniors; I really enjoy bringing through home-grown talent and there is plenty of talent in the Wests Tigers area.

"I plan on building on the strong foundation that has been put in place and work closely with the players' leadership group to build a stronger organisation on and off the field," said Maguire. "I'll also continually share my experiences of what I've been a part of and implemented that has taken clubs to success.

"I want this club to be viewed as a long-term successful club that everyone wants to be a part of and this will involve staff, players, families, Members and supporters," he said.

Maguire will continue in his role with the New Zealand Kiwis alongside his position at Wests Tigers.

Read more: https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... ead-coach/

Wests Tigers release Ivan Cleary

Wests Tigers have today confirmed that the club has released Ivan Cleary from the remainder of his coaching contract.

Cleary was contracted to Wests Tigers until the end of 2020 but has been released immediately.

Read more: https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... an-cleary/
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

If I was a Tigers supporter I'd be pretty happy with this outcome.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Green eyed Mick wrote:If I was a Tigers supporter I'd be pretty happy with this outcome.
Yes and the Souths/Broncos situation is identical. Will be interesting to see how Maguire goes, he had a better squad at the Bunnies but couldn't keep them going. Broke their 41 year drought though.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: October 28, 2018, 6:25 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:If I was a Tigers supporter I'd be pretty happy with this outcome.
Yes and the Souths/Broncos situation is identical. Will be interesting to see how Maguire goes, he had a better squad at the Bunnies but couldn't keep them going. Broke their 41 year drought though.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Lots of egos and power plays undermining him at the Bunnies. Won't have those issues at the Tigers but he's starting from a low base. Dysfunctional boardroom another challenge.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Out of all the clubs in this merry go round they win out imo.

Cleary didn’t want to be there and has done the only thing he’s proven he can already at Wests anyway. Turn a very ordinary squad into a value for money and competitive one.

I’m with the minority with the Cleary thing as well. I think it’s crazy moving heaven and earth to bring in your young guns dad as coach.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m with you julian, recipe for ego problems. Especially with Gould involved.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Luke Brooks signs Wests Tigers extension until end 2023

Wests Tigers are extremely pleased to announce that halfback Luke Brooks will remain with the club for at least the coming five years.

Under the new agreement, the reigning Dally M Halfback of the Year has signed a new four-year deal that will keep him at Wests Tigers until the end of the 2023.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/03/bro ... ntil-2023/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wests Tigers facing salary cap punishment over Robbie Farah deal

The Wests Tigers are bracing themselves for a heavy reprimand from the NRL over an alleged salary cap breach involving a lucrative post-career ambassador role for favourite son Robbie Farah.

The NRL has been investigating an undeclared arrangement worth more than $400,000 over four years promised to Farah during his ugly departure from the Tigers in 2016.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50mqt.html