The Politics Thread 2018

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Politics Thread 2017

Post by Manbush »

Love it when a “moral authority” show themselves to be a hypocrite of the highest order, he got what he deserved.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Barnaby Joyce quits but what has he actually done wrong?

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote: February 22, 2018, 6:57 pm What sort of society is it? You can't send your child to school, in the knowledge they will be looked after and are safe. What a dreadful and sad state of affairs. Yet their politicians don't want to do anything sensible to stop it.
The American people have to stop waiting for their politicians to change and change their politicians.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Green eyed Mick wrote:
greeneyed wrote: February 22, 2018, 6:57 pm What sort of society is it? You can't send your child to school, in the knowledge they will be looked after and are safe. What a dreadful and sad state of affairs. Yet their politicians don't want to do anything sensible to stop it.
The American people have to stop waiting for their politicians to change and change their politicians.
Change to who?

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:Barnaby Joyce quits but what has he actually done wrong?

- been a hypocrite
- possibly skirted with ethics around relationship in position of power
- had a perceived conflict of interest in being the authority paying a partner a sizeable salary.

I haven’t followed closely, so I don’t know how big a deal the last two were. I don’t particularly care either. Ultimately the main thing he did wrong was be a generally unpopular jerk that people took the opportunity to remove when the chance arose.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Then there's moving a federal department to his electorate where his mate's hotel then got a truckload of business for functions.

But the offices were definitely ready for people to move, they just chose to work out of McDonalds so they had internet..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: February 24, 2018, 1:52 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Barnaby Joyce quits but what has he actually done wrong?

- been a hypocrite
- possibly skirted with ethics around relationship in position of power
- had a perceived conflict of interest in being the authority paying a partner a sizeable salary.

I haven’t followed closely, so I don’t know how big a deal the last two were. I don’t particularly care either. Ultimately the main thing he did wrong was be a generally unpopular jerk that people took the opportunity to remove when the chance arose.
If those are legitimate reasons for a pollie to quit then we should have a very empty parliament.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

He was an unpopular jerk by politician standards though. An impressive feat.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

He made a decision that wasn’t popular, when you job is winning popularity contests that’s never being good at your job.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I just find hypocrites being found out hilarious, don’t push the sanctity of marriage while you’re having an affair.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote:I just find hypocrites being found out hilarious, don’t push the sanctity of marriage while you’re having an affair.
Thought he had already separated from his wife

reptar
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by reptar »

Hello! I would like somewhere to discuss modern politics.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by greeneyed »

Thank you for reminding me reptar.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Geeeeez Barnaby. Dig up.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Nobody who matters anymore just said something he should have kept private. And now every second political journo will be asking every talking head and member of parliament their opinion on Barnaby's latest comments.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Threw her under the bus for no reason, bizarre.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Manbush wrote:Threw her under the bus for no reason, bizarre.
Bit harsh calling Barnaby a bus.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Manbush wrote:Threw her under the bus for no reason, bizarre.
Bit harsh calling Barnaby a bus.
Yes. I know many fine, outstanding buses that have a use in society.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

My theory is Barnaby is going to turkey slap Turnbull and Whatshisface at every opportunity from now until the next election knowing that a big loss would give him a strong chance at the Nationals leadership (assuming he wins his own seat)

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/pm-must-ans ... run-abbott
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Green eyed Mick wrote:My theory is Barnaby is going to turkey slap Turnbull and Whatshisface at every opportunity from now until the next election knowing that a big loss would give him a strong chance at the Nationals leadership (assuming he wins his own seat)

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/pm-must-ans ... run-abbott
Will he still have Gina backing him?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Wow Tennessee keeps child marriage legal so they don’t need to recognize marriage equality, because obviously marrying children is so much more acceptable than marrying the same sex.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch ... 22979bf1c7
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pretty dull time in politics it seems. Nobody really cares whats happening in Tennessee.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

If arming teachers wasn’t your thing could follow this US senate candidates idea of arming the homeless with shotguns :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... MP=soc_567
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Batman by election today looks like a massive square off between Labor and Greens. LNP keeping their powder dry and not running a sacrificial candidate.

No doubt the Greens have much appeal to the Melbourne metro hipster population. What has always been a safe Labor seat could change hands. If that happens the ALP might wake up and look at replacing Shorten as leader. His presence is the only thing standing in the way of a comfortable victory at the next federal election.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Manbush wrote:If arming teachers wasn’t your thing could follow this US senate candidates idea of arming the homeless with shotguns :lol:

I can’t believe people like this exist.
This guy, is in the same gene pool as Stephen Hawking was
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 17, 2018, 10:40 am
Manbush wrote:If arming teachers wasn’t your thing could follow this US senate candidates idea of arming the homeless with shotguns :lol:

Behind every dangerous and idiotic elected official are 1000's of even more dangerous and idiotic voters.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Nickman's love of NSW
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Leyonidiot, Hinch, Hanson and Anning just tried to pass a motion condemning the south african government over their treatment of white south african farmers.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

I'm getting a little over all the tax reform stuff that focuses on Taxable Income. Taxable Income gives absolutely no indication on how much somebody earns.

A smart political party (do they exist???) who wants to try and get something over the line should be focusing on peoples before tax earnings as a barometer. If you do that, then people will assume that you're in a particular tax bracket and thats the most in income tax you'll pay. The changes to the franking credits refunds malarky is an example.

Not saying i'm for it or against it (i've never had shares so don't really understand it) but every policy, reform or proposal focuses on taxable income... "It's going to hurt the battlers!!" is the usual cry from the opposing party... what it doesn't show is how much the impacted people are earning pre-tax... the could be on a 6 figure salary and have a wicked accountant that minimises their taxable income to effectively pay nothing...
I found a moon rock in my nose....
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Agreed Dibbers. The Liberal stooge was trotting that line out on Q&A and it’s just total ****. Hit us with the net wealth of these big losers as well hey?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Totally agree, Dibbers. It’s about time people were taxed on their spendings and not on their income. Only way to make it truly fair IMO
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:Totally agree, Dibbers. It’s about time people were taxed on their spendings and not on their income. Only way to make it truly fair IMO
Some kind of consumption tax?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

reptar wrote: March 22, 2018, 6:13 pm
The Nickman wrote:Totally agree, Dibbers. It’s about time people were taxed on their spendings and not on their income. Only way to make it truly fair IMO
Some kind of consumption tax?
A shift to a (properly broad) consumption tax makes a lot of sense in terms of the efficiency of the tax. The issue will be that many low income people would be left worse off, without compensation. And the compensation is expensive. So that's why a shift to consumption taxes are so difficult to implement. It would be good if if happened, but repeatedly politicians baulk at leaving some people worse off.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gangrenous »

I’m sick of there having to be no losers with every policy change.

Suck it up princesses, sometimes you lose.

Can’t do anything bloody meaningful
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can't disagree. We will pay the price ultimately in declining living standards and growth because we are not prepared to take tough decisions as a country.