Canberra Raiders greatest NYC Team

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders greatest NYC Team

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders greatest NYC team: Fullback

During the 10 years of the National Youth Competition, the Canberra Raiders were one of the most successful sides as they were crowned minor premiers on two occasions and also claimed the inaugural premiership.

To mark the end of the competition, we have appointed a three-man panel consisting of David Hamilton, Peter Mulholland and Barry Molyneux to help us select the Raiders Greatest NYC Team.

Contenders: Haydon Hodge, Josh Dugan, Jack Wighton, Anthony Milford
Final Choice: Josh Dugan

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/02 ... -fullback/
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders greatest NYC Team

Post by -TW- »

Can you even pick Milford or Wighton? I don't remember either of them playing fullback
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Exactly TW, neither of them played full back in NYC.

Dugan is clearly the obvious choice. He played in a premiership, made the team of the year and won the medal in the GF for best on ground. (Something I disagreed with BTW - for mine Travis Waddell should have won it).

Of course it was off field issues even in 2008 that prevented Dugan from playing a couple of games and denied him his first grade debut. It cost his much loved grandfather the chance to see him play first grade.

Second choice would have to be Jack Ahearn. Very consistent performer at that level.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I would like to see this team picked on their NYC form rather than what has or hasn’t happened since. Clearly if they are considering Milford and Wighton for full back they are probably not going to do that.

Who do people think will be the halves. For mine it was Milford and Cornish but that leaves no room for Sam Williams. Wighton possibly goes to the bench or he did play a little on the wing. Drury Low would have to be one winger.

Croker and Cotric the centres for me.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Interesting they nominated Haydon Hodge. I wouldn’t have him anywhere near our the best team. He was a quality 17-18 year old but sadly by the time he got to NYC his body started to give way on him and he never recovered.

Sad story because he had a lot of ability.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I am going to go Justin Carney for the other wing.

So I would have

1 Dugan
2 Low
3 Croker
4 Cotric
5 J Carney
6 Milford
7 Cornish

Will need to think about the forwards and also toss up between McIlwrick and Waddell for hooker.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I will cause controversy in the forwards because I will leave Vaughan out because at that age I didn’t think he would be much good.

Boyd and Fensom would be obvious but not sure about the rest. Sam Mataora would have to be a consideration. Maybe Joel Thompson could be put on the bench and cover a number of positions.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Of course if this dream team ever played away, they would have to stop at Sutton Forrest Maccas on the way home. And cross the bridge to do it to the one on the right hand side of the road as the new one wasn’t open for much of the 10 years.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

We must have played about 250-260 games over the 10 years.

Take out 2014 when I got back into the country at half time of the second last NYC game, I reckon I probably saw 200 out of about 230 games.

I am going to miss the comp.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I still think the best game I ever saw at this level was when we beat the Broncos narrowly at Suncorp in 2008. It was an even better game than the Grand Final.

Biggest disappointment was that GF we lost to the Tigers. I really thought we were going to win, Mitch Cornish scored the first try then we just got destroyed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think Bay53 is going to be very invested in this one!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Bay53 wrote: February 13, 2018, 8:08 am I am going to go Justin Carney for the other wing.

So I would have

1 Dugan
2 Low
3 Croker
4 Cotric
5 J Carney
6 Milford
7 Cornish

Will need to think about the forwards and also toss up between McIlwrick and Waddell for hooker.
I'd have E. Lee or Vidot over Low

EDIT: they played centre, so they don't count.. nm
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Bay53 wrote: February 13, 2018, 8:02 am Interesting they nominated Haydon Hodge. I wouldn’t have him anywhere near our the best team. He was a quality 17-18 year old but sadly by the time he got to NYC his body started to give way on him and he never recovered.

Sad story because he had a lot of ability.
Yeah, I would've had Jack Ahearn ahead of him as a nominee.

My full side would be Dugan, B.Lee, Croker, Cotric, Carney, Milford, Cornish, Vaughan, Waddell, Boyd, Papa, JT, Fensom (C) with the bench of Wighton, TPJ, Barnett, Mago.

You could round out the squad with Edrick, Hawkins, Ahearn, Sammy, Bateman, Mataora, Nichols, JK or the ball hog.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders Greatest NYC Team: Wingers

We’ve picked our fullback and now it’s time for us to take a look at the wingers for the Raiders Greatest Team in the National Youth Competition.

Contenders: James Stuart, Sami Sauiluma, Justin Carney, Daniel Vidot, Edrick Lee, Drury Low, Nick Cotric
Final Choices: Nick Cotric, Edrick Lee

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/02 ... m-wingers/
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It sounds like Edrick at least played on the wing, but I don't think Cotric did at all? Seems it's based more on first grade ability.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Carney and Vidot for the wings

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

T_R wrote:Carney and Vidot for the wings

More of this please
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

edwahu wrote: February 13, 2018, 3:50 pm It sounds like Edrick at least played on the wing, but I don't think Cotric did at all? Seems it's based more on first grade ability.
Cotric played very little on the wing. Of course he only played as a 17 year old. Never played another game after he turned 18.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think Drury Low still holds the record for most games and most NYC tries for the Raiders.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Bay53 wrote: February 13, 2018, 8:01 pm I think Drury Low still holds the record for most games and most NYC tries for the Raiders.
I thought he was pretty average though. He benefited from playing on the end of a great backline.

I guess genuine wing options are slim. Johnathan Reuben was another one who could be in the mix.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

edwahu wrote:
Bay53 wrote: February 13, 2018, 8:01 pm I think Drury Low still holds the record for most games and most NYC tries for the Raiders.
I thought he was pretty average though. He benefited from playing on the end of a great backline.

I guess genuine wing options are slim. Johnathan Reuben was another one who could be in the mix.
I thought so, too. I always reckoned that Vidot and Carney would have long NRL careers too, though, so not much credibility in this.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:Carney and Vidot for the wings

Definitely.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders Greatest NYC Team: Centres

It’s time for us to complete our outside backs as we select our centres in our Raiders Greatest Team in the National Youth Competition.

Contenders: Jarrod Croker, Jeremy Hawkins, Michael Chee-Kam, Brenko Lee, Seb Kris, Jack Wighton

Final Choices: Jarrod Croker, Jack Wighton

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/02 ... m-centres/
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

They probably should be our current centres.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd have Justin Carney ahead of Jack. He and Thommo were just unstoppable on their edge. Seems he has been nominated as a winger instead though.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Jason wrote:They probably should be our current centres.

I agree

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders Greatest NYC Team: Halves

Today we take a look at our options in the halves for the Raiders Greatest Team in the National Youth Competition.

Contenders: Mick Picker, Sam Williams, Mitch Cornish, Matt Frawley, Lachlan Croker, Anthony Milford
Final Choices: Anthony Milford, five eighth, Sam Williams, halfback

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/02 ... am-halves/
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Can’t argue with Sam Williams being picked. I probably had Mitch Cornish just shading him but a close run thing.

My opinion was that Anthony Milford would go on to be one of the greats of Raiders history up there with Daley and Meninga. Sadly that is not going to happen as he almost certainly won’t play for us again but he has been very good and will get even better.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm not at all sure Milford would have done that or will do that at the Broncos. Lots of water to flow under the bridge though. He has certainly taken a lot longer to settle in at the Broncos than I expected.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's pretty apparent he's coasted since signing with the Broncos, hasn't really put any effort in

He would be the best player in the comp by the length of the straight if he had a proper go
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Well he was the best player in the grand final and got them within a whisker of winning a comp.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's what I'm saying, imagine how good he would be if he put effort in regularly
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Thought Matt Smith might have gotten a shout at halfback
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Good to see the judges picking Williams over Cornish. Was so much better at this level (and every level)
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders Greatest NYC Team: Props

There are some quality contenders at prop for our Greatest Raiders Team in the National Youth Competition. Today, we ask our panellists to decide which two should get a starting place in our side.

Contenders: Nick Skinner, Sam Mataora, Shannon Boyd, Tevita Pangai Jr, Paul Vaughan, Emre Guler
Final Choices: Shannon Boyd, Paul Vaughan

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/02 ... eam-props/