Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

League Express in the UK apparently suggests the Raiders were interested in Giants second rower Oliver Roberts... but he’s signing a five year deal with the Giants.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Roberts

https://twitter.com/m_shaw1/status/947559900363870209
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2017

Post by El_Capitano »

Dave Mutha Flippin Taylor?
How soon IS now?
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

El_Capitano wrote:Dave Mutha Flippin Taylor?
Only Ricky can help this guy, for Daves mental state he needs to head home to the Raiders were he can get the necessary help he needs.
WorkChoice
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

We probably don’t have any space in our cap ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

if we can get him registered on min wage then there is a chance I would think

but there is a huge BUT the NRL would have to agree to it, and register his contract but given he has done something over there I'm guessing thats a perfect reason to say No
Vaccinated
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

LP Raider wrote:
El_Capitano wrote:Dave Mutha Flippin Taylor?
Only Ricky can help this guy, for Daves mental state he needs to head home to the Raiders were he can get the necessary help he needs.
Ricky needs to be focused on the rest of the team, not babysitting the likes of David Taylor.

Big Dave needs to finally place responsibility on his own shoulders, not rely on someone else to keep him on the straight and narrow.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

I think Dave has shown under the right structures he can fulfil his potential.

I expect Don to do his job and give Dave's manager a call, he was definitely a shining light in what was a pretty miserable year.
WorkChoice
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

cat wrote:if we can get him registered on min wage then there is a chance I would think

but there is a huge BUT the NRL would have to agree to it, and register his contract but given he has done something over there I'm guessing thats a perfect reason to say No
The NRL just registered Matt Lodge.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

To the broncos , carl williams could sign with the broncos

We would have trouble getting mother Theresa over the line

On a side not junior had to sit out a suspension when he signed with us , does lodge?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Its a no brainer for the Raiders management, get on the phone and show some initiative like every other club does.
WorkChoice
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Id be ok if we got on the phone to Taylor for another life line. He would be top 17 material almost immediately. He was just coming good when he left
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Grant Garvey released by the Roosters - I don't know much about him. Would he be worth a shot while Hodgson is injured if we can get him cheap while he gets FG exposure to push for a contract with us or another club in 2019?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Is he related to Craig?
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

Yep younger brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hell, sub him in for Craig. He is crook ATM
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Not really a signing but I noticed Ravalawa is included in the first grade squad on the Raiders website. So seems he got promoted up from train and trial. Probably inevitable given he was the only back. Makatoa as well but I think he was confirmed already.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not yet...

The Raiders still have four spots left up for grabs, but there are six players currently on train-and-trial contracts trying to impress coach Ricky Stuart in the pre-season.

Bill Cullen, Jarrett Boland, Zac Masters, Fabian Paletua-Kiri, Mikaele Ravalawa and Josh Saunders are competing for the four contracts, while the Raiders have also signed four of their six development players.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0r0pp.html
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I believe it's spelled JOSH SAUNDERS.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote:Not yet...

The Raiders still have four spots left up for grabs, but there are six players currently on train-and-trial contracts trying to impress coach Ricky Stuart in the pre-season.

Bill Cullen, Jarrett Boland, Zac Masters, Fabian Paletua-Kiri, Mikaele Ravalawa and Josh Saunders are competing for the four contracts, while the Raiders have also signed four of their six development players.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0r0pp.html
Oh ok. I reckon he is a sure thing anyway since the rest are all middle forwards and we have like 15 of those already.

So I guess that means Stefano Hala and Roache are just going to be under 20s at mounties? Or maybe take the last two development spots.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Rumours going around that Nathan Cleary might be on the move. We would be mad not to be making enquiries.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

He wont be coming here.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Raiders player signing speculation 2017

Post by Sid »

Sea Eagles would seem most likely if he moves
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Surely he'll go play with his Dad if he goes

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

True

That'd be a bad move career-wise

Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Manchild »

He almost left Penrith originally because his dad was the coach.

Why do you say he wouldn't come to the Raiders?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Because Penrith are reportedly clearing the decks to offer $1 million plus, so if he leaves it won't be for money. His father is on record as saying that they'd like to 'play together again', so I guess that's an inventive to go with him. Cant imagine what Canberra could possibly offer to compete.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

T_R wrote: February 6, 2018, 5:54 am Because Penrith are reportedly clearing the decks to offer $1 million plus, so if he leaves it won't be for money. His father is on record as saying that they'd like to 'play together again', so I guess that's an inventive to go with him. Cant imagine what Canberra could possibly offer to compete.

We could get both Clearys, father and son package deal....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

cat wrote: January 19, 2018, 6:09 pm

We would have trouble getting mother Theresa over the line
Not a great example Cat :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Mother Theresa's career has been dead for years. Besides, we need more mongrel in our pack.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

BadnMean wrote: February 6, 2018, 11:00 am Mother Theresa's career has been dead for years. Besides, we need more mongrel in our pack.
Edit
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Just came across this stat

Canberra Raiders are the only team to not have a player in their squad that has won a premiership

Every winning team going back to 2005 except 2008 Manly (Tigers, Broncos, Storm, Dragons, Manly, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Cowboys and Sharks) still have a player from their premiership team still in their squad. Titans have Proctor, Warriors have Harris, Parramatta have Scott, Panthers have Tamou, Bulldogs have Foran and Knights have Pearce. The closest Canberra have to a premiership winning player is Michael Oldfield, who played for Manly in 2011 but didn't get selected in their grand final team.

BJ Leilua is the only one to have played in a grand final I think (not counting Superleague)

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pretty useless stat really.

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: February 6, 2018, 2:20 pm Just came across this stat

Canberra Raiders are the only team to not have a player in their squad that has won a premiership

Every winning team going back to 2005 except 2008 Manly (Tigers, Broncos, Storm, Dragons, Manly, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Cowboys and Sharks) still have a player from their premiership team still in their squad. Titans have Proctor, Warriors have Harris, Parramatta have Scott, Panthers have Tamou, Bulldogs have Foran and Knights have Pearce. The closest Canberra have to a premiership winning player is Michael Oldfield, who played for Manly in 2011 but didn't get selected in their grand final team.

BJ Leilua is the only one to have played in a grand final I think (not counting Superleague)
Another interesting stat..

Canberra fans don't give a hoot about other clubs or their fans...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I liked your stat Sid...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »