Laurie Daley

Re: The Politics Thread 2017

Post by gangrenous »

I’m sure the LNP would enjoy representing Qld and parts of WA in parliament
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:I’m sure the LNP would enjoy representing Qld and parts of WA in parliament
They already do, which was my point.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:
And I hate cats.
After all these years mate I think we’ve finally found some common ground! :D
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:
T_R wrote:
And I hate cats.
After all these years mate I think we’ve finally found some common ground! :D
Oh, cats! No, I love those adorable little furry bundles of love.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I’m allergic to about 99% of all cats and have always hated them, but in light of recent developments it appears I was totally wrong
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Frank hates cats too.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

****, what did Manbush do to Frank?!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

China has a strong foothold in nsw because we are a pack of lazy, ***** pure and simple.
This place is woke.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

actually, he just gets jealous of them!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You want to see a crazy video?
Check out the footage release of the cop shooting of Phillip Brailaford in Mesa, Texas
The body cam footage was dropped today and it’s absolutely **** sickening

I mean it’s pretty much cold blooded murder by a cop and he was acquitted

Disclaimer: do not google search it if you’re up for what you’re going to see. It’s exactly as I describe it, a cop basically executing a sobbing man begging for his life
It’s not an easy watch by any means.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Pigman wrote:
Check out the footage release of the cop shooting of Phillip Brailaford in Mesa, Texas

Disclaimer: do not google search it if you’re up for what you’re going to see. It’s exactly as I describe it, a cop basically executing a sobbing man begging for his life
A friend and former colleague of mine has recently returned from about a ten year stay in America. He is a quietly spoken inoffensive person in both appearance and speech but managed to find himself at gunpoint with various cops there on four occasions during his stay, mostly in the last few years. He contends that the cops have become much more violent in recent times because of all the militaristic training given in the "war on terror" period, combined with a federal policy of disbursing surplus military equipment to police forces with a consequent push from police chiefs facing elections to put the equipment in use in a "tough on crime" campaign. This violence has always been directed at Blacks and Hispanics and nobody bothered much, but now blue collar and some other Whites are coming under fire as well.
He says there is very little support for convicting police for killings, particularly white police although a former Sudanese cop who killed some Aussie woman is likely to be convicted for being a Muslim more than a killer cop.
He says the level of training for cops away from the federal system and the major city forces is abysmal, and the job is often considered to be just north of prison guards and the like.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

@ pigman Is he a coloured man? Not sure of the current PC term.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Apologies
I got the name mixed up, Brailsford was the cop

Daniel Shaver was the victim and he was from all appearances not a minority
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cranky Old Man wrote:
Pigman wrote:

He says there is very little support for convicting police for killings, particularly white police although a former Sudanese cop who killed some Aussie woman is likely to be convicted for being a Muslim more than a killer cop.
Does not surprise me at all
I defy anyone to watch the footage of this mans actions and mount a case for his freedom
It was evident 20 seconds in that the cop was ITCHING to pull the trigger

It’s honestly disgusting. The cop flat out murdered a man and walked.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

In N.Y. the street next to my building was cordoned off for some roadwork. My wife and I had just taken our young daughter to the playground and walking home we jaywalked at the traffic lights because the road was blocked. This crazy **** cop had no option but to turn left but still recklessly swings his car around close to us and yells out his window to not cross on the red signal. I was so pissed at his behaviour, he could so easily have lost control of the car - so I started arguing with him about the road being blocked and **** it's N.Y, everybody jaywalks. My wife quickly talked me down though. Thankfully. Those cops over there are just itching for some action.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So if Turnbull is such a man of his word and the amazing figure of 2017, why aren't we a republic right now?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Because we're a democracy, GE

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:Because we're a democracy, GE

Yes but why aren't we a republic T_R

The man needs an answer!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

One thing at a time GE. Truffles sorted out jobs/growth, sorted out the union, fixed the NBN and SSM. Maybe the Republic is next on the list?

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

gergreg wrote:In N.Y. the street next to my building was cordoned off for some roadwork. My wife and I had just taken our young daughter to the playground and walking home we jaywalked at the traffic lights because the road was blocked. This crazy **** cop had no option but to turn left but still recklessly swings his car around close to us and yells out his window to not cross on the red signal. I was so pissed at his behaviour, he could so easily have lost control of the car - so I started arguing with him about the road being blocked and **** it's N.Y, everybody jaywalks. My wife quickly talked me down though. Thankfully. Those cops over there are just itching for some action.

There's so many cops in the US that are egotistical maniacs (and I'm sure there's plenty of decent ones too). Heaps more cops on the road as well... couldn't help but think why don't they just put more speed cameras in?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Hasn't Turnbull always send that a republic would not be on the agenda until the Queen dies? (Which is kind of a weird thing to say IMO)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:
T_R wrote:Because we're a democracy, GE

Yes but why aren't we a republic T_R

The man needs an answer!

Because we voted not to be

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

the bone wrote:Hasn't Turnbull always send that a republic would not be on the agenda until the Queen dies? (Which is kind of a weird thing to say IMO)
She'll probably live til she's 140 just to spite the Republican movement

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

All of those 'long live the Queen!'s must have SOME impact

Botman
Mal Meninga

The Politics Thread 2017

Post by Botman »

I was saying this to some mates the other day, I really think the Kate/Will thing has sent the republican movement back 20 years

People I know who couldn’t give the faintest **** about Queen Lizzy, Phillip and horse face are absolutely swooning about Will and Kate

I haven’t been bothered to look it up, so I could be totally off base but if I had to guess, I guess that support for a republic has levelled off in the last 5 years
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Yeah, but in a Monarchy you get whoever is next out of the studbook, not who you might find attractive. Charlie and Camilla are next, and with Charlies blood lines he is likely to live long enough for the glamour of W and K to fade considerably. Plus Charles looks after himself health wise, unlike all the male monarchs of the last 150 years who most certainly did not.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

You might be right there Piggles. Seems the republic debate has gone real quiet the past 12 months or so. Might come back on the agenda soon if the Barmy Army keep singing the 'Yellow Submarine' tune with "Your next Queen is Camilla Parker-Bowles, Camilla Parker-Bowles, Camilla Parker-Bowles".
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah I expect the pendulum might start swinging back when it’s Charles and CPB assuming the crown, rather than Kate and Will but for if they ran a plebiscite now I don’t think there is much chance of success
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2017

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:You might be right there Piggles. Seems the republic debate has gone real quiet the past 12 months or so. Might come back on the agenda soon if the Barmy Army keep singing the 'Yellow Submarine' tune with "Your next Queen is Camilla Parker-Bowles, Camilla Parker-Bowles, Camilla Parker-Bowles".
Bit like making a “Your mama” joke about your brother isn’t it.

I like it Image
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

How has nobody mentioned the Trump/Jerusalem thing in here yet? The man’s an absolute maniac!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote:How has nobody mentioned the Trump/Jerusalem thing in here yet? The man’s an absolute maniac!
To be fair, Clinton, Bush and Obama had the same policy.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:How has nobody mentioned the Trump/Jerusalem thing in here yet? The man’s an absolute maniac!
It only turns to outrage when Trump says it. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
T_R wrote:
It only turns to outrage when Trump says it. :)
Well none of this is exactly true. He's actually moving the embassy to Jerusalem, every President before him has signed six-monthly executive orders staying the move.