The Video Game Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Manbush »

If you enjoy South Park humor then try Fractured But Whole, hilarious game with so much stuff that is just so wrong.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Finished it a few days ago, love South Park, it was great.

I will say that whenever I see that character come out, I just wish somebody would cut off Cartman's hand, good but just so frustrating. That scene near the end where you have to choose one of your parents is a bit messed up, the vast majority of things in South Park that people think crosses lines don't faze me at all... but that one rattled me a little.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Thinking about getting COD WWII, I prefer FPS set in the older days, like Medal of Honour, rather than the futuristic modern warfare types. Though I'm only interested in playing campaigns, not the multiplayers, so not sure if it's worth it for that.

Keen to hear others reviews on 'The Ashes' game after it comes out, it looks promising but I'll have to find out
if the gameplay is any good before getting it. Codemasters did great with Shane Warne Cricket '99 and Ricky Ponting Cricket '05, but this is made by Big Ant and apparently there were issues with Don Bradman Cricket.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They iron out after a few patches

The DBC games aren't amazing, but they're definitely decent. Apparently they've put a lot more effort into ashes including motion capture

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

i played the original dbc a fair bit, typical big ant massive gap between skill levels turned me off.
you go from hitting boundaries every ball to making single figures unable to hit anything.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's true, I went from hitting 399 on pro, to not being able to hit it off the square on veteran

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:That's true, I went from hitting 399 on pro, to not being able to hit it off the square on veteran

i created an opening bat keeper, avg 90 odd over 2 seasons in both aus domestic and county couldn't get picked for aust.

will buy ashes, saved my $ on dbc17
Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I started again as a 35 yo leggie, took a 10fa game 1 and was in the test team next game

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

thats pretty realistic

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's a few ashes cricket gameplay vids on YouTube

Looks a lot easier to get started than DBC17 where it took you 5 seasons to get strong enough to hit it off the square

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Sid wrote:Thinking about getting COD WWII, I prefer FPS set in the older days, like Medal of Honour, rather than the futuristic modern warfare types. Though I'm only interested in playing campaigns, not the multiplayers, so not sure if it's worth it for that.

Keen to hear others reviews on 'The Ashes' game after it comes out, it looks promising but I'll have to find out
if the gameplay is any good before getting it. Codemasters did great with Shane Warne Cricket '99 and Ricky Ponting Cricket '05, but this is made by Big Ant and apparently there were issues with Don Bradman Cricket.
Very hard to find any good single player FPS. All the interest is in multi-player, the best of which to date is Battlefield One. Battlefront II has just come out.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Rainbow 6 is a very underrated game. Lots if **** play it because there is team kills but a very different FPS
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

This stuff about micro transactions is ruining any excitement about Battlefront II. It’s a shame, the game itself looks excellent, but it seems to be ruined by an excessive amount of micro transactions.

Idk what I expected with EA though
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Notaroboticfish wrote:This stuff about micro transactions is ruining any excitement about Battlefront II. It’s a shame, the game itself looks excellent, but it seems to be ruined by an excessive amount of micro transactions.

Idk what I expected with EA though
I’m enjoying it, they’ve cancelled spending real money on loot boxes for now.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Yeah, it’s only a temporary thing though. Probably a thing to get people to actually buy the game because they think everything has been fixed and to remove any negative Star Wars press before TLJ releases. I think I’ll have to wait to see the new system they implement before I decide what I think of it
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Just saw this, wonder how many complaints it will receive especially the last fighter :lol:

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Yeah, it’s only a temporary thing though. Probably a thing to get people to actually buy the game because they think everything has been fixed and to remove any negative Star Wars press before TLJ releases. I think I’ll have to wait to see the new system they implement before I decide what I think of it
Battlefront II is really disappointing IMO.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Yeah, it’s only a temporary thing though. Probably a thing to get people to actually buy the game because they think everything has been fixed and to remove any negative Star Wars press before TLJ releases. I think I’ll have to wait to see the new system they implement before I decide what I think of it
Sounds like Disney forced their hand on the issue which is a positive sign.

EA picked the wrong time to piss Disney off, they just had a clean out at Marvel comics because SJWs in charge had gone too far damaging the brand then EA does this to Star Wars.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I've been paying attention to this on the net. Looks as though Battlefront 2 is the game that finally blew up in somebody's face for being a gouging anti-consumer POS.

Its a full price game based on the mobile game 'freemium' model, where the game is free but progress is torturous unless you shell out the $$$ for microtransactions. Applying that model to something people have already payed full price for... ridiculous.

The outrage has gone mainstream to the extent that Disney supposedly pulled rank and made EA temporarily pull the pay-to-win microtransactions so all the negativity doesn't affect the upcoming film. Of course EA refuses to confirm its not coming back, they're just waiting for the outrage to die down so they can resume their bastardry. :roll:

I have little faith in big business, but the ideal outcome here is that the industry changes direction and starts to move away from the EA method of cutting things from full price games and selling it back to you later on top of your initial purchase, and heads towards the CD Projekt Red way of doing things - The Witcher 3 is a damn fine example of how games should be done.

I've bought actual DLC where the content is like an expansion pack, but I've never shelled out for a microtransaction or loot box, and don't think I ever will.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I've bought Battlefront II, pre-release on PS4 Pro, bought the PS4 for this game only, and I couldn't be more happy with it. I absolutely love it!

And all this rubbish about micro-transactions was a complete over-reaction from the reddit community, bunch of wankers. They literally would have had little to no impact on the game to people who don't want to purchase loot crates and they ensured we got free DLC while EA still made money for the games. Now I'm not sure how much DLC we'll actually get.

People online can be absolute **** idiots at times. Anyone who has played this game for more than a few hours would realise the loot crates would've made little to no impact on their own experience.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sterlk wrote:I've been paying attention to this on the net. Looks as though Battlefront 2 is the game that finally blew up in somebody's face for being a gouging anti-consumer POS.

Its a full price game based on the mobile game 'freemium' model, where the game is free but progress is torturous unless you shell out the $$$ for microtransactions. Applying that model to something people have already payed full price for... ridiculous.

The outrage has gone mainstream to the extent that Disney supposedly pulled rank and made EA temporarily pull the pay-to-win microtransactions so all the negativity doesn't affect the upcoming film. Of course EA refuses to confirm its not coming back, they're just waiting for the outrage to die down so they can resume their bastardry. :roll:

I have little faith in big business, but the ideal outcome here is that the industry changes direction and starts to move away from the EA method of cutting things from full price games and selling it back to you later on top of your initial purchase, and heads towards the CD Projekt Red way of doing things - The Witcher 3 is a damn fine example of how games should be done.

I've bought actual DLC where the content is like an expansion pack, but I've never shelled out for a microtransaction or loot box, and don't think I ever will.
That's the problem though, Sterlk. There was literally NOTHING you had to buy that you can't unlock just from playing the game. And the star cards don't make it unbalanced anyway. Someone with no star cards who is a good player will absolutely destroy someone who is a bad player with all the best star cards. And you play the game long enough you unlock everything anyway.

This is SUCH a better system than Battlefront I where you had to pay for the new DLC, it's now all free. The reddit community have just **** this for everyone, I fear.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

EA have potentially helped clean up the gaming industry, governments are now looking at loot boxes to decide if they are a form of gambling, potentially has wide ramifications for all gaming platforms if they are deemed gambling.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I saw today that Belgium decided that it was gambling.
The Nickman wrote:That's the problem though, Sterlk. There was literally NOTHING you had to buy that you can't unlock just from playing the game.
In that section I was intending to rant more about EA's general practices and compare two polar opposites than say anything about this game in particular. I'm hoping the massive backlash against this game pushes the needle more towards the CD Projekt Red way of doing things and further away from the EA way.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Hawaii has also considered it gambling, so while Belgium is taking it to the EU Hawaii will be leading the charge within America.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

The Nickman wrote:
Sterlk wrote:I've been paying attention to this on the net. Looks as though Battlefront 2 is the game that finally blew up in somebody's face for being a gouging anti-consumer POS.

That's the problem though, Sterlk. There was literally NOTHING you had to buy that you can't unlock just from playing the game. And the star cards don't make it unbalanced anyway. Someone with no star cards who is a good player will absolutely destroy someone who is a bad player with all the best star cards. And you play the game long enough you unlock everything anyway.

This is SUCH a better system than Battlefront I where you had to pay for the new DLC, it's now all free. The reddit community have just **** this for everyone, I fear.
I remember people saying that if you played 2 hours a night every day of the week, it would take you 6 years to unlock everything? I don’t know how accurate this is, but it has certainly been something people have said a lot
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I half expect EA to have created that furore on Reddit deliberately
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Not a chance Reptar, it’s cost them huge sales, made them drop a system that would earn them ongoing profit, made governments investigate them, it’s a conspiracy not even Crusher would go for.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Manbush wrote:Not a chance Reptar, it’s cost them huge sales, made them drop a system that would earn them ongoing profit, made governments investigate them, it’s a conspiracy not even Crusher would go for.
You think that's all organic? It outstripped even Net Neutrality and that's definitely being brigaded by both sides of the argument.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Looks like Australia is now investigating if loot boxes are gambling.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2017/ ... MP=soc_567
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Just set up the new PS4 Pro. Games that support 4K look amazing. Will probably also get an XBox One X when they first go on discount.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

First post in this thread for 2018!

anyone else pick up RDR2 today?
Haven't been this excited about a game in a lonnng time!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I've got it, not that keen about the 80gb patch to download
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

I’m holding off, I finished Spider-Man, paused Shadow of the Tomb Raider to start Assassins Creed Odyssey, reckon I should finish it before jumping on RDR2, saying that I’m mustard keen to play it

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah I’m maxed out storage wise. I have a 1TB Hard Drive that I might try and figure out how to convert and use.
Just got Spider-Man last week and I’m hacking my way through it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Pre-Ordered it so it was ready to go at 10.30pm Thursday night. What an absolute cracking game. So who rode to the snow to see the horses testicles shrink?